Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Gorak posted:

I thought heavier elements could only be created in supernova.

You can slam nuclei together in a particle accelerator and get heavier elements - that's how they got pretty much everything in the periodic table after 100

You can also throw protons/neutrons at nuclei and get isotopes of heavier elements

All of this consumes shitloads of energy and produces very little amounts (hmm sounds familiar)

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Gorak posted:

How do you think elements which don't occur in nature were discovered?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Gorak posted:

that's the only way it happens in nature

recent work points to neutron stars as another source

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Haha the Bittrex pumpers ran out of money which sent it all off a cliff. 4 million on the way, just another confirmation or two left.
http://omnichest.info/lookuptx.aspx?txid=35072e008be497274fd1b4c9c0918a448efa007e0f008f06f58931a63f63352c

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

Haha the Bittrex pumpers ran out of money which sent it all off a cliff. 4 million on the way, just another confirmation or two left.
http://omnichest.info/lookuptx.aspx?txid=35072e008be497274fd1b4c9c0918a448efa007e0f008f06f58931a63f63352c
that recipient address has 430 million tether

edit: based on the 1 min charts, gdax led bitfinex and bittrex on this short-term dump (beginning at 3:15 EST). bittrex was the laggard to gdax and bitfinex. so do you think it was "running out of money" that made bittrex dump, or was it following the other markets?

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 22, 2018

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Uranium 235 posted:

:monocle:

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Uranium 235 posted:

What

How

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Are there any good articles that summarize on the tether pumping nonsense? I've got some friends who are thinking about jumping into crypto and I'm trying to show them why this recent jump and recovery is bullshit and not some dumb proof of longevity.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Drav posted:

What

How

It's the Bittrex wallet. Second on the tether hodler list.

That 4M transaction has nothing to do with printing tethers; the source address seems to do a lot of large trades. Probably not wash trades. Probably legal trades. I'm certain of it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Are there any good articles that summarize on the tether pumping nonsense? I've got some friends who are thinking about jumping into crypto and I'm trying to show them why this recent jump and recovery is bullshit and not some dumb proof of longevity.

Ok I think that "explain tether to me real quick" has been maybe asked a dozen times in the past few weeks, perhaps one could just flip back through the last few pages doing a ctrl + f to tether and you can enjoy the responses to your question

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

this is a good one https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@cryptoscopia/making-sense-of-the-tether-situation

it doesn't assume that the conspiracy theories are true but it takes them very seriously and talks about why people should be careful (or simply avoid) using tether

it's pretty in-depth

edit: for the record i do not use tether, i think it's too risky

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 22, 2018

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Uranium 235 posted:

this is a good one https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@cryptoscopia/making-sense-of-the-tether-situation

it doesn't assume that the conspiracy theories are true but it takes them very seriously and talks about why people should be careful using tether

it's pretty in-depth

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Like yeah I know the questions been answered. Hell I was one of the one's asking in the previous pages. But an article might be easier to convince them with than second hand details from a forum.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Like yeah I know the questions been answered. Hell I was one of the one's asking in the previous pages. But an article might be easier to convince them with than second hand details from a forum.

Yeah I agree a writeup is a useful reference and that's a decent one, maybe we can point people to that in the future when they ask.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
it doesn't matter if you use Tether or not, the entire market is inflated by them at this point.

i seriously believe these millions of tethers are being sent to trading bots running on the other exchanges, the intermediary address being the wallet receiving address which gets auto-transferred into the master wallet for the exchange. And some of these pumps are just absurd right now if they aren't pumps but real traders

Market completely plummeting? Let's just throw $20K-$100K each at it in a span of 6 seconds.

And really all you need to do is explain the zero sum concept and how money is constantly leaking out of the system due to block rewards, since miners typically sell their coins immediately to pay for electricity/GPUs and poo poo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Starting to get close to 9000 territory again.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Waltzing Along posted:

Starting to get close to 9000 territory again.

Try 3000.

No more tether printings. Bitfinex down to 26M. This is it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Alpha Mayo posted:

Try 3000.

Why would they stop printing now? Did they say something to that effect?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

it doesn't matter if you use Tether or not, the entire market is inflated by them at this point.

i seriously believe these millions of tethers are being sent to trading bots running on the other exchanges, the intermediary address being the wallet receiving address which gets auto-transferred into the master wallet for the exchange. And some of these pumps are just absurd right now if they aren't pumps but real traders

Market completely plummeting? Let's just throw $20K-$100K each at it in a span of 6 seconds.

And really all you need to do is explain the zero sum concept and how money is constantly leaking out of the system due to block rewards, since miners typically sell their coins immediately to pay for electricity/GPUs and poo poo.
$20-100k is not much, the market has billions of dollars of volume every day and that's not enough money to move the market in any significant way. i don't understand why you think it's noteworthy

yes there are trading bots and arbitrage bots sending millions of dollars around all the time. the same thing happens in the stock market except on a much, much larger scale (not talking about manipulation--i'm talking about legitimate trading and arbitrage strategies).

i believe there is manipulation in the crypto market but the things you're pointing out aren't examples of it

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I meant they haven't printed anything in almost 3 days, and probably don't have time to.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

I meant they haven't printed anything in almost 3 days, and probably don't have time to.
why do you think it takes "time"

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Uranium 235 posted:

why do you think it takes "time"

Block confirmations

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

Block confirmations
it takes, what, an hour?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Alpha Mayo posted:

They kind-of printed yesterday. The pile they printed on Friday was left steaming in Teher HQ until it was lukewarm and ready to be sent to Bitfinex on Sunday. Those have lasted them quite a while with what seems to be their new strategy.

But they can barf out another 100M and have them propping up the ol' BTC on Bitfinex within half an hour if they want. Or maybe make it the first 250M dump?

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're delusional.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Since the price of Bitcoin on Bitfinix is close to the "market" price of Bitcoin then either Tether printing doesn't affect the price, or it does AND therefore affects every exchange.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

bitcoin will keep pumping along at 10-12k until authorities in Hong Kong arrest some bitfinex people and then everything's probably hosed

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

jimmyjams posted:

could someone please make buttcoin. a crypto backed by butts

my man, do I have an investment oppurtunity for you!

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Ignoring tether, I think ultimately the money being sucked out of the ecosystem by miners has to be doing serious damage to the price. My napkin math shows basically $20 million every day at a price point of ~$10k. So the question every day is whether there's more or less than $20 million worth of new money flowing in. It just doesn't seem sustainable. Basically everyone who was buying into the hype last month has bought in by now, right?

Edit: My lovely math was off by a factor of 12.5!

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 22, 2018

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Andy Dufresne posted:

Ignoring tether, I think ultimately the money being sucked out of the ecosystem by miners has to be doing serious damage to the price. My napkin math shows basically $20 million every day at a price point of ~$10k. So the question every day is whether there's more or less than $20 million worth of new money flowing in. It just doesn't seem sustainable. Basically everyone who was buying into the hype last month has bought in by now, right?

Edit: My lovely math was off by a factor of 12.5!

I haven't bought in but that's because I'm not mentally defective.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bitcoin also generates approximately $5.4 million in fees daily if you combine the average transaction rate (~3.25 on Jan 21) and the average fee ($19.2 on Jan 21). At the peak in late December, fees were closer to $21.4 million daily.

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/bitcoin-transactionfees.html

https://blockchain.info/charts/transactions-per-second?timespan=24h&daysAverageString=7

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Alpha Mayo posted:

Try 3000.

You guys sound like you’re edging it to bitcoin price charts

Meanwhile I’m getting my dick sucked by Bitcoin Honeys (tru story bro)

So good luck, I guess 👍 🍀

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/man-who-ordered-3000-bitcoin-1103432

Dude bought mining gear and got sent a boss baby DVD.

The funny thing is this is just a more overt scam than the one he signed up for: "We're selling the Money Printing Machine rather than plugging it in ourselves because uh..."

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

You guys sound like you’re edging it to bitcoin price charts

Meanwhile I’m getting my dick sucked by Bitcoin Honeys (tru story bro)

So good luck, I guess 👍 🍀

I cum ever time I post. So tyvm

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Inept posted:

Bitcoin also generates approximately $5.4 million in fees daily if you combine the average transaction rate (~3.25 on Jan 21) and the average fee ($19.2 on Jan 21). At the peak in late December, fees were closer to $21.4 million daily.

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/bitcoin-transactionfees.html

https://blockchain.info/charts/transactions-per-second?timespan=24h&daysAverageString=7

Those fees get paid to the miners though.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I just got into buying Bitcoin and I have quite literally no other experience in investing in things.

How do I calculate how much money crypto-currency will make me if Bitcoin goes up to x dollars?

Are there any calculators out there where I can say "I bought X amount of Bitcoin at Y dollars. When Bitcoin reaches Z dollars, I will have this much money?"

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Grump posted:

I just got into buying Bitcoin and I have quite literally no other experience in investing in things.

How do I calculate how much money crypto-currency will make me if Bitcoin goes up to x dollars?

Are there any calculators out there where I can say "I bought X amount of Bitcoin at Y dollars. When Bitcoin reaches Z dollars, I will have this much money?"

Elementary school arithmetic

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A calculator would work, but if you really want to go all hip and retro I recommend pencil and paper.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Grump posted:

You buy it, hold it, then get your gold lambo sometime late this year, good time to buy too this is just the typical January dip and Chinese New Year.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Is there just a way to let the computer do the work for me and not have to use my brain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Grump posted:

Is there just a way to let the computer do the work for me and not have to use my brain?

Source your quotes.