Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

A little wish I have that won't happen is that ToCS will be remade with TiTS graphical style. 2D sprites and everything :3:

CS1 and 2 might have looked better that way.

God drat, though, V and C take forever on Nightmare with no carryovers. I had to use sixteen S-Breaks in all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Man, Ys Origin on Hard with Yunica was a real challenge. I don't know how I could mash my thumb any more than I did, I can't imagine how unpleast Nightmare is.

Going to cool off, playing Hugo on Easy.

EDIT: Going to translate Roo-speak for myself while I'm at it. The first one says, "I haven't eaten the roda fruit yet, but I've begun to drool so much that I'm covered in a clear film". a-dorable

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 22, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Captain Lavender posted:

One little thing I love about ToCS art style is that most of it is so faithful to TiTS' style. Like, if you changed the perspective and graphics quality, you could straight up insert most towns and buildings from ToCS right back into a TitS game seamlessly. A little wish I have that won't happen is that ToCS will be remade with TiTS graphical style. 2D sprites and everything :3:

Someday you’ll be able to make tits in the cold steel style :getin:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Am unhappy with Gog, the game crashed at what must be pretty near the end of TitS1, when in a weird ancient facility under the castle Daddy Cassius ran in to cut off a big robots hand and save Colonel Richard. He was all "finish it off guys" and then black screen, game closed. That's a fair bit of boss fighting to do again honestly and having some ancient civilisation with still functioning hyper-advanced robots be the end-game kind of undermines the rest of the setting.

Also what transfers over between TitS1 and TitS2? Are there any little tricks like selling everything because just money transfers or buying everything because just inventory transfers etc?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

Also what transfers over between TitS1 and TitS2? Are there any little tricks like selling everything because just money transfers or buying everything because just inventory transfers etc?

You'll get some extra items at the start of SC if you reached the top bracer rank in FC, and a few recurring NPCs will give you better quest rewards in SC if you completed their FC quests. I think you can keep Estelle's level if she's higher than 35, too. Inventory doesn't transfer.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Am unhappy with Gog, the game crashed at what must be pretty near the end of TitS1, when in a weird ancient facility under the castle Daddy Cassius ran in to cut off a big robots hand and save Colonel Richard. He was all "finish it off guys" and then black screen, game closed. That's a fair bit of boss fighting to do again honestly and having some ancient civilisation with still functioning hyper-advanced robots be the end-game kind of undermines the rest of the setting.

i don’t really think it matters that much because the overall story is basically still the same, plus it’s not really super out there given like fifty years after people figured out how to make orbments computer databases are legit a thing, so it’s basically the end result of what’s been implied.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The color scheme on Instructor Sara's weapons is awfully familiar...

Jusis's big bro is cool, I want to hang out with him more and see him dunk on Jusis.

E: if these are bugging people ill stop, I've just been excited to tackle CS since playing SC.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 22, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Playing through Tits FC for the second time - and this time I'm going to finish it and proceed to SC! - and now that I'm at Ruan I'm remembering why I quit playing it back in early 2015: freaking Ruan! I hate this place! I hate this story arc! I hate Agate! :argh:

So, the idea of a former harbor port city being turned into a tourist trap is charming, and I like most of the citizenry. I like Manoria, and most of the NPCs I've been chatting with. (It's me, I'm the poor person who has to talk to every NPC whenever they have something new to say...)

The thing is, the pacing of this area is terrible, and the cliche of burning down an orphanage is... I don't remember why it happened, if we find out the motives for this, but it's saturday morning cartoon villainy coupled with grating characters: this mayor is a jerk compared to the last two, I don't like his lackey, etc. And then when I'm geared up to investigate and get this chunk of story over with, the game slams me with Agate showing up and stealing the investigation, and then to kick my teeth in, it throws all of the sidequests it can on me....and to entice me to continue the plot, we have to go put on a school play.

Personal taste, I know, but this is not interesting, game. This is the chaff I'm grinding through so I can get to the good stuff. And stuffing in obligatory sidequesting - "you must do 5+ quests that take you all over the available map" - before dragging me to school is just bad pacing.

Oh, and the cherry on the irritating pie is the inclusion of the world's worst nephew. :argh:

...Thanks for reading this, it's been building up as I play this. I love Estelle, I love Josh, I love a lot of the writing in this game, but then I hit roadblocks like Olivier and Ruan and I just... gggg. Can we ditch them, let me just read the NPC stories instead?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The orphanage nonsense does introduce Gilbert, who the series gets...quite a bit of mileage out of, to say the least.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I wish I could say "it gets better," but Chapter 2 is one of the highlights of the game for me, so I can't say that in good faith.

Chapter 3 and 4 are more straightforward, but there will always be sidequests and if you don't like Olivier, well, I have some bad news for you.

Chapter 4 is still great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I wish I could say "it gets better," but Chapter 2 is one of the highlights of the game for me, so I can't say that in good faith.

Chapter 3 and 4 are more straightforward, but there will always be sidequests and if you don't like Olivier, well, I have some bad news for you.

Chapter 4 is still great.

Haha, thank you for the honesty. On my end - I like sidequests, I just don't like how they've been shoved at me all in a bunch like this. And Olivier.... well, I'll try to judge him as he shows up next. If I still don't like him, oh well, lots of other good characters!*

*Agate excepted, he really grinds my gears

Nate RFB posted:

The orphanage nonsense does introduce Gilbert, who the series gets...quite a bit of mileage out of, to say the least.

I'm curious to find out what this means!

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

How can you not like Olivier

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I finally bought Xanadu Next in the Humble sale, and it's exactly what I wanted: a looping, grindy game which is just like "go explore and hit a lot of monsters on the way". It totally fails to work with the Steam Controller, however, so I have to play K+M even downstairs on the Link.

Anyhow, a quick question: should I be worried, at all, about Levelling Down? I haven't been in a place where it would've been obviously useful, yet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Red Red Blue posted:

How can you not like Olivier

"hey I'm an airhead musician who flirts on everyone even after they don't want me to look at me I'm CHARMING"

:sigh:

No thanks, please go back into the cliche bin where you belong

(Yes, I know he has hidden depths. I know he's a spy and manipulative. His repartee with Schera was really good. I could grow to like him, maybe, but initial impressions - especially with the flirting - were really bad for me.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm curious to find out what this means!

Every character you don't like, and pretty much all the characters I ever disliked in a Trails game, get a lot better eventually...although in some cases it can take a long time.

atholbrose posted:

Anyhow, a quick question: should I be worried, at all, about Levelling Down? I haven't been in a place where it would've been obviously useful, yet.

The very last guardian spirit increases the amount of stat points you get when you level up. Once you have that spirit at max level along with the Dragon Slayer sword, which has no stat requirements, you can Level Down all the way back to 1 and grind out a lot of extra stats fairly quickly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

StrixNebulosa posted:

"hey I'm an airhead musician who flirts on everyone even after they don't want me to look at me I'm CHARMING"

You may not believe me now, but Olivier is one of the most popular Trails characters (and definitely my favorite, not even close) and for good reason. He is the perfect mixture of levity and gravitas (not to mention how he comes to affect the world building of the whole bloody franchise).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If you don't like Olivier, you might as well quit right now since he's involved in every single Trails arc so far.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In other words, keep playing. I'm playing, I'm playing! :v:

(Heading to do the sidequest where you convince the nephew to leave these poor people alone, then hitting up the tower for its sweet chests, then I'll be ready to tackle the school. Onwards!)

GrandpaPants posted:

If you don't like Olivier, you might as well quit right now since he's involved in every single Trails arc so far.

I can't quit, I was given SC for Christmas and I'm too curious about Josh's past to quit! Also I love Estelle, so...

Aidios guide me to grow to like Olivier, amen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can absolutely understand not having a good first impression of him though. For good or ill "dude/lady who constantly hits on people who aren't receptive to it" can feel pretty lovely no matter how charming the character is. Angelica comes pretty close to hitting that mark too but is a bit better about backing off if someone clearly isn't into it while Olivier openly seems to enjoy making people uncomfortable. He has good payoff but there's a lot of reasons why someone wouldn't find that behavior charming instead of sleazy. For what it's worth his later appearances absolutely trend more towards "Olivier likes making people uncomfortable by being weird/dorky/ditzy/flamboyant" over "hitting on them" so the writing does adjust for it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't quit, I was given SC for Christmas and I'm too curious about Josh's past to quit! Also I love Estelle, so...
Good news, there's tons about Josh and Estelle in SC

quote:

Aidios guide me to grow to like Olivier, amen.
Good news, despite me agreeing about how tiresome he can be, he has some very entertaining interactions with a certain taciturn jerkwad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel I can look back on early Olivier with nostalgia and retrospective appreciation, but I mean is Mueller even in the picture yet at that point? Just not playing with the full 52 card Olivier deck yet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Chapter 1 Olivier got on my nerves a lot too, because Estelle, Josh and Schera are trying to actually do their jobs and he just keeps showing up and getting in the way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Olivier has the best line when you select him as a party member in the 3rd, and it always makes me equally happy and fired up.

Bonus if it's when this is playing in the hub:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=robYHoHOFK8

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I still maintain that Olivier reveals about 80% of his character when you first meet him. He's a non-serious romantic pest who... effortlessly disarms a downward-spiraling, volitile situation between two characters whom the game has told us are hyper-capable. I loved him instantly.

I still remember when I found out Kevin was the protagonist of The 3rd, and all I could think was, "Where's Olivier's game!?"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I really liked the complicated play sword fight in chapter 2

And the action movie ending

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

...Thanks for reading this, it's been building up as I play this. I love Estelle, I love Josh, I love a lot of the writing in this game, but then I hit roadblocks like Olivier and Ruan and I just... gggg. Can we ditch them, let me just read the NPC stories instead?

Yeah Ruan was a bit much for me too. Kloe and the orphanage only needed half the screentime it got, the school section could easily have been trimmed by a third without losing anything, for what's meant to be a brusque character Agate scenes go on far too long. All of that hitting the player at once adds up to really terrible pacing. I still kind of like Ruan the city though because it had my favourite random NPC in the game; Matilda on the bridge contemplating life.

Olivier landed for me because, speculation based on completing 99% of TitS1, he's like a spy or a free agent or something, the foppishness is an act. "I'm tagging along because I want to bang X" behaviour is an actual tactic used by actual spies to justify going somewhere/doing something odd. The fact that he seems to drop that behaviour once there is enough history that he can justify tagging along without it supports that, he slips into a 'harmless buffoon' act just quickly enough that he didn't irritate me or seem like a genuine sex pest.

I took him and Zin along to fight the big robit, mainly because I'd specced his orbments for healing before the martial arts tournament and I was too lazy to put them on Schera and gently caress A Kloe. The actual official TitS1 tier list is this btw

- Schera
- Estelle
- Zin
- Olivier
- Joshua
- Tita
- Kloe

- Agate

-

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
There are several characters in the franchise who make a poor first impression on to get better later on. Olivier's among them, depending on your tastes. Agate's among them, regardless of your tastes. :)

Oh, and remember that mayoral lacky's name.

Nobody else will. ;)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Opinions about plots and characters aside, uh, is there an in-game listing of how many chests you've hit? Because I forgot to mark one down when I was in the tower and spent an extra twenty minutes combing the place to be sure I didn't miss it. I'm 98% sure I cleaned that place out, but I'm also 5000% sure I'm going to kick myself and refuse to replay the game to get it if I missed something.

(I mean, I'll use a 100% save-file in that case for SC, because come on - but I am doing my best to come by it honestly!)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

I really liked the complicated play sword fight in chapter 2

And the action movie ending

Yeah, I can see how the orphanage could be cloying but Ruan's got the best set-pieces outside of the finale.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Opinions about plots and characters aside, uh, is there an in-game listing of how many chests you've hit?

Unfortunately not. Sky the 3rd and the Cold Steels give you a quartz that makes chests show up on the map, but for anything else you just have to use a guide.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 22, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wow, what did Kloe do to you? She's mechanically one of the best characters in FC and she's Estelle's best friend.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Really Pants posted:

The very last guardian spirit increases the amount of stat points you get when you level up. Once you have that spirit at max level along with the Dragon Slayer sword, which has no stat requirements, you can Level Down all the way back to 1 and grind out a lot of extra stats fairly quickly.

Ah! Thanks. Well, I won't worry about that for a while, then.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

atholbrose posted:

Ah! Thanks. Well, I won't worry about that for a while, then.

Even this is pretty unnecessary too, I beat the game fine without doing it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Unfortunately not. Sky the 3rd and the Cold Steels give you a quartz that makes chests show up on the map, but for anything else you just have to use a guide.

Aye aye. At least there's a steam guide that tells you which chests have which quotes, so... I've double-checked and I got 'em all.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

:suicide:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

jesus christ I'm so sorry

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

jesus christ I'm so sorry

I've missed the Cold Steel "get all chests" achievement a total of FIVE TIMES between the two games.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

This makes me think of the stupid chest in the mistwald maze section. Why put one there?

also important confession, I do not like Joshua, Agate or Olivier but like all the other characters, including the side characters you get in sc and so on.

Zwei 1 comes out soon and I don't think there's going to be a launcher and that's going to be weird since I think every other falcom game I've played had one. Changing settings in-game is always preferable but rip stuff like launcher Elena getting different outfits depending on the difficulty you beat the game on.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 22, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

Even this is pretty unnecessary too, I beat the game fine without doing it

It does make Galsis a joke. You really only need it for the Netherworld.

don't do the Netherworld, it sucks

StrixNebulosa posted:

At least there's a steam guide that tells you which chests have which quotes, so...

Well that's all you need in the end.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, what did Kloe do to you? She's mechanically one of the best characters in FC and she's Estelle's best friend.

I don't really dislike any of the characters, gently caress A Kloe is overstating it and even Agate got tolerable towards the end. But her big CP thing did healing instead of busting heads, anyone can do healing with a few blue orbs but nothing seems to bash heads as well the special move hits. And she was part of the Ruan plot, and none of the characters shine in that.

Mainly it's because of the princess twist though. I liked that Liberl seemed generally to be a forward-thinking place; a developing newsmedia, technology that seems to be broadly empowering, the start of meritocracy beating out inherited privilege across the various city plots. It built this sense that Liberl was still getting there with baby steps but it was a place actually worth the characters risking their lives to defend. Then the final chapter got all 'nah actually it's just about having the right person sitting in the marble palace while orphans go penniless' and Kloe gets a bit damned by association to the whole thing.

It's more that she stars in the weakest parts of the plot than that I think she's a bad character basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Liberl is kind of lovely and boring compared to Erebonia and strongly disliking the setting is a big reason why I partially bounced off Sky but love Cold Steel.