Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
what does sow dragons teeth do, and who gets access to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Applebee123 posted:

what does sow dragons teeth do, and who gets access to it?

Arco has it battle spell 1 earth gem for 5 skellingtons with pants.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
So the slave units transform into other units? Are they any better or are they still trash?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Normal Adult Human posted:

they're just sparta, man.
To be fair, Sparta was kind of comically horrific. It's like they sat down and were like 'you know, slavery is a horrific and humiliating institution; how can we make it worse?'

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm honestly glad that Mekone exists because gently caress the people who buy into the "Sparta is awesome like in 300" mythology.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Corbeau posted:

I'm honestly glad that Mekone exists because gently caress the people who buy into the "Sparta is awesome like in 300" mythology.

:yeah:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
mekone is awesome like in 300

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Corbeau posted:

https://taskandpurpose.com/the-spartans-were-morons/

blogosphere blowing up about Mekone here

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

The comments from that spectacled hat wearer "You reek of liberal leftism" lmao

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

tankfish posted:

So the slave units transform into other units? Are they any better or are they still trash?

The slave units get promoted at 50 XP to non-slaves with higher base morale.

that's it. Any other stat boost they get is purely from XP, and generally speaking any unit thats survived to hit that 50 XP will most likely be afflicted.

In a sample game I ran against AI most of the slave helotes who got promoted died without even 1:1 ratio, and Mekone has no healers so :shrug:

tankfish
May 31, 2013

Conot posted:

The slave units get promoted at 50 XP to non-slaves with higher base morale.

that's it. Any other stat boost they get is purely from XP, and generally speaking any unit thats survived to hit that 50 XP will most likely be afflicted.

In a sample game I ran against AI most of the slave helotes who got promoted died without even 1:1 ratio, and Mekone has no healers so :shrug:

Ah that's it? I kinda wanted it to a little more intresting then that, but it does fit the theme.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ynglaur posted:

I had a failed seduction-turned-assassination attempt on my Niefel jar in the lmao game. Seduction only works at the same size or lower. :smug:

tfw you seal the deal and she finds out you took the bus

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
creating a brand new promotion tag and applying it exclusively to slave chaff who will never get 1/10 of the way there is really cool. Videogames are art.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Normal Adult Human posted:

creating a brand new promotion tag and applying it exclusively to slave chaff who will never get 1/10 of the way there is really cool. Videogames are art.

Its there for other units to use in the future. Prepare for our glorious upgrading skeleton future.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

what if exped mages could poo poo out upgraded skellingtons and other battlefield summons? How cool would that be!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Its there for other units to use in the future. Prepare for our glorious upgrading skeleton future.

I am excited to see what the modders will do with it.

By the way, did Libluini finish up the mod for a freespawn chaff nation? I know he was doing that a year or too ago, but then I fell behind on the Dom4 updates.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

I am excited to see what the modders will do with it.

By the way, did Libluini finish up the mod for a freespawn chaff nation? I know he was doing that a year or too ago, but then I fell behind on the Dom4 updates.

Sadly, I did not. About a year ago I finished university and started a full-time Job, which forced me to cut my ludicrous amount of hobbies down a lot. My Dom4-mod was the first victim.

I still haven't totally given up, though: Some day I plan to go back and re-do my mod for Dom5.

Just not... anytime soon.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Mages that don't gain their full paths until a certain xp level.

Comedy option: Mages that LOSE paths at higher xp levels.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I remember a Dom3 (or maybe it was 4?) mod nation of Myconids/Mushroom Men that had like evolving units and poo poo. How did that work withouot this tag?

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Mekone dont seem all that good, they have low morale troops who flee almost instantly, naked ranged troops who have 4 ammo then charge into combat , giants with a choice of 4 or 7 encumbrance which aren't scared so you cant bless them with reinvigoration, 1E1F + 1 random as their best recruit anywhere mage, and nothing particularly amazing in their cap.

I mean whats the best early-midgame strategy with them? I guess some of those 10 morale peltasts / the 4 encumbrance giants backed by mages with 1E1F casting something? But that seems very weak compared to what they are up against in EA.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I remember a Dom3 (or maybe it was 4?) mod nation of Myconids/Mushroom Men that had like evolving units and poo poo. How did that work withouot this tag?
#xpshape has been in the game for a long long time. It just now displays on unit cards.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I have concluded that cheap death blesses are actually pretty okay.

Stygian flesh in particular is fantastic until it's abruptly not, because nonmagic invulnerability 10 is good. It tests well for MA Ctis with its considerable piles of sacred snakes who have poo poo-all defense and armor.

also undead command for eg Lanka is a huge cheap boon for moving your chaff around

edit also when designing orders you can hit x to repeat your last single turn order

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 22, 2018

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

:laugh:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How hard is this game to pick up? Are we talking EU4 learning curve? I am right on the fence about pulling the trigger but I don't know if I'll have the time or attention span to spend 50 hours learning the game.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

If you're Ulm in lmao I'm glad that's 5 fewer mammoths I have to deal with. Oh, yeah, right: size 6 giants. Nevermind. :black101: (Also Caelum is AI I think.)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

If you're Ulm in lmao I'm glad that's 5 fewer mammoths I have to deal with. Oh, yeah, right: size 6 giants. Nevermind. :black101: (Also Caelum is AI I think.)

Not according to the Discord bot. And I'm 100% still turbofucked, but that was too good not to share.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How hard is this game to pick up? Are we talking EU4 learning curve? I am right on the fence about pulling the trigger but I don't know if I'll have the time or attention span to spend 50 hours learning the game.

50 hours? Heh

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

50 hours? Heh

Heard that. I'll mosey right along then.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

I'd say dominions is easier to learn but harder to master than eu4. It is much easier to try something and then tweek it to see its effect.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Heard that. I'll mosey right along then.

Join us. None of us have mastered this game.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Ynglaur posted:

It's Momoney late, probably a different game than the one you are thinking.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Join us. None of us have mastered this game.

I'm not talking about mastery, more being able to enjoy a game because I'm not wondering what the gently caress this border isn't expanding for, or not knowing which 15 button combo I have to press to bring up the "move" interface.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Another Caelum situation in lmao.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

I'm not talking about mastery, more being able to enjoy a game because I'm not wondering what the gently caress this border isn't expanding for, or not knowing which 15 button combo I have to press to bring up the "move" interface.

Oh that's easy. Interface isn't bad at all. It's just that we're bad at the game

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Ahem okay. I picked up Dominions 3 in an afternoon in terms of ability to move around and dostuff. The ? key brings up all of the keyboard shortcutsyoull need.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The EU games are totally impenetrable to me buy I enjoy (lol) Dominions. If you read/watch a guide or just asked general questions in irc or discord it would clear up any mechanics questions you have very quickly and let you get into the meat of the game which is getting your dick ripped off.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

The major thing for proper enjoyment of dominions 5 is willingness to commit to 2-3 month long multiplayer games. Otherwise you're just playing single player which is...well, you might have fun with it up to a point, but the ai is really dumb.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Being new though a multiplayer game probably won't last more than a month for you for the first few.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Decrepus posted:

The EU games are totally impenetrable to me

:same:

I might go for it then. Thanks goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

jon joe posted:

The major thing for proper enjoyment of dominions 5 is willingness to commit to 2-3 month long multiplayer games. Otherwise you're just playing single player which is...well, you might have fun with it up to a point, but the ai is really dumb.

lol that jon joe is posting this.