Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Every time this kind of question comes up on Reddit, the answer is something called "Strange Eons."

I have no idea how accurate that answer may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Every time this kind of question comes up on Reddit, the answer is something called "Strange Eons."

I have no idea how accurate that answer may be.

Yeah I tried it, but it only has the normal style cards. The guy who made the x-wing module stopped adding to it and someone new took over, but the original guy won't let him use any of "his" templates so it died.

Went down a deep well looking for it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I want a Han Seoul-Oh custom card.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Raged posted:

I was thinking about making some alt art upgrade cards to hand out to fun opponents after matches. Does anyone know where I can find the template for cards like FFG's alt art upgrade? All of the ones I have found are the bog standard upgrade card. I want something like you would find on the alt C3PO.

If you have Photoshop, these are some great templates

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/158338/x-wing-hi-res-upgradeweaponcondition-card-template

If you do not have Photoshop, no idea.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So, my girlfriend, after seeing my collection, and being nerdy as hell herself, wanted me to teach her to play.

Fast forward to last night. We did some starter basic missions, and we did our first 100 point game. I figured I would throw it anyways, because why the hell would I try to win.

She still kicked my rear end really badly, even without me throwing it. I may be just really bad at this game.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Raged posted:

Brad worked that list so drat hard. His range control was out of this world and his timing with Corran diving in..... gently caress he played it so well.

Any streams from that event? Esp with Dash/Corran games?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

The whole second day (and like 3 games from the first day) is on Onyx Squadron YouTube channel. I know dash corran appears in the last two games.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-XJjj7230
Dash @ about 3 hr in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM3K4UPgXy0
Dash @ 3:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBBmAcUGZDM
Final w/ Dash

Side event final table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1l_I45bUdQ

Raged fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 22, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

TS/Genius has been officially FAQed out.

EDIT: link to FAQ https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/98/36/9836c96f-69ee-4d31-9f77-d4d071b5fd95/x-wing_faq_v441lowres.pdf

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 22, 2018

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Still don't like that TLT can set off harpooned

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TLTs officially can trigger the Harpooned condition. No weird initiative bullshit.

You can spend all zero of your tokens to avoid damage from that one Kimogila guy.

You're limited to one bomb (launch/drop/other placement) per round per ship, period.

Quite a few little things in there, too, but those and the TJS not working with Genius are the biggies.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Full list of changes:

- A clarification on calculating number of dice when multiple effects add or remove dice (ignore min 0 and max X wording until ALL effects are calculated). Mostly clears up Test Pilot Blackout even though the example is Structural Damage + Countermeasures.

- Harpooned! officially triggers from TLT and other 'cancel all dice' effects if they had a crit; you check for the crit after Compare Results and before Deal damage.

- If Leebo is dealt a crit from ISYTDS, he still gets to draw another and choose between them.

- Prince Xizor's ability transfers a crit damage, but doesn't change who is "hit" by the attack; it's always Xizor.

- A ship with 0 tokens can spend all zero of his tokens to avoid damage from Torani Kulda.

- Thweek (Mimicked) only works with the PRINTED pilot ability; does not trigger off additional implied abilities like those granted by IG-2000. Also (I had no idea this was in question), it doesn't go away if the Mimicked ship is destroyed or otherwise loses its pilot ability.

- Citrako: "replacing" is not the same as "discarding," and thus doesn't trigger stuff like Jabba's illicit tokens.

- Likewise, if you replace something with Citrako and it still has illicit tokens, they're gone. They don't transfer to the new card.

- Feedback array is officially blocked by TFA blinded pliot (but not the old deck, which doesn't skip the opportunity to attack, you just roll 0 dice).

- If a ship has Advanced Optics and a friendly Jan Ors crew is around, they can still take the focus action to receive the evade token.

- Lightning Reflexes can be used after a SLAM maneuver, but the stress would block usage of Advanced SLAM.

- Sabine is officially optional and does not have to be used on the FIRST bomb detonation. I recall some discussion about this a while back.

- Trajectory Simulator doesn't work with Genius or ANY other bomb drop replacement.

- Affects that occur after performing an attack don't take effect until after both shots in a TLT volley. (I presume this also applies to other volley attacks like cluster missiles)

- If you use Zuckuss to reroll one or more of an enemy's defense dice, any effect that instructs them to re-roll "all" dice can still be used; they just cannot re-roll the dice that have already been re-rolled. (This is similar to how Han + Predator works, and I assume it also applies to other defense re-rolling effects like that one astromech)

- You cannot drop, launch, or otherwise place more than one bomb per ship per round, period.

- Launching is not dropping and does not trigger on drop effects (sorry deathrain)

- Ships cannot recover shields beyond their shield value (I swear this was already a rule)

- A clarification on when a ship becomes the active ship in the combat round. (Before measuring ramge, etc. This is mostly going to catch people off guard who (incorrectly (I love parentheses (lol))) believed you could measure with all ships before choosing which one to shoot with.)

- Ah yes, further clarification on when "after the attack resolves" effects" like the TLT entry above.

- The speed of a SLAM maneuver is always the one revealed. If ioned (and thus none revealed), it's a 1-straight.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Most of these are clarificatory, some in ways I wish weren't the way they are.

But hey, it'll do for now. gently caress Genius/Sim.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Most of these are clarificatory, some in ways I wish weren't the way they are.

But hey, it'll do for now. gently caress Genius/Sim.

The only one I don't like is Harpooned!, I think. Not because I disagree with the interpretation; I think it's correct as far as the rules go and have pretty much always thought of it that way. I think, however, that the Harpooned! card is very poorly worded and should have used the phrase "suffered critical damage" or "dealt a face-up damage card" rather than "uncancelled crit".

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Trajectory Sim still owns for area denial to prevent people closing to range 1 on the first engagement.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, my girlfriend, after seeing my collection, and being nerdy as hell herself, wanted me to teach her to play.

Fast forward to last night. We did some starter basic missions, and we did our first 100 point game. I figured I would throw it anyways, because why the hell would I try to win.

She still kicked my rear end really badly, even without me throwing it. I may be just really bad at this game.

Yeah my girlfriend is naturally very good at the game. She’s picked up arc dodging really quickly so she’s going to start kicking my rear end

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Trajectory Sim still owns for area denial to prevent people closing to range 1 on the first engagement.

Yeah it's a GREAT upgrade. It's just no longer STUPID.

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to fly TjS Deathrain/Quickdraw/Inquisitor for regionals because it's just great fun.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also the spend all 0 tokens thing is weird

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

The only one I don't like is Harpooned!, I think. Not because I disagree with the interpretation; I think it's correct as far as the rules go and have pretty much always thought of it that way. I think, however, that the Harpooned! card is very poorly worded and should have used the phrase "suffered critical damage" or "dealt a face-up damage card" rather than "uncancelled crit".

Yeah, that's my big one. Harpooned is still a mess and still super OP and still in dire need of some toning down, but I guess they're fixing the most major abuse now, and will go back in later after Regionals and do any more necessary adjustment.

How Sabine is still in the game in her current state though is beyond me.

Recoome posted:

Makes perfect sense to me, but then, I cut my teeth on Dominion, which has this rule weirdness that is apparently quite uncommon elsewhere, and it shaped my understanding of no-good-choice choices like this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Recoome posted:

Literally every other "all" effect in the game counts "zero" as a valid value. Example: Hot-Shot Copilot can make someone spend their focus, even if there are zero focus results showing.

I never saw any way to interpret this otherwise and it baffled me the lengths others went to justify their view because they *wanted* it to work otherwise.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

This FAQ was dumb and the amount of gymnastics they had to do not make TS broken in totally different ways was also dumb. I don't think TS/Genius was or would have been a real problem, but I'm more just annoyed that FFG can't write rules that are at all consistent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

This FAQ was dumb and the amount of gymnastics they had to do not make TS broken in totally different ways was also dumb. I don't think TS/Genius was or would have been a real problem, but I'm more just annoyed that FFG can't write rules that are at all consistent.

Notably, this is the first FAQ I've seen with an "effective immediately" date.

What's funny is that Genius + TS in the Nym/Miranda version that has bomblet generator on Nym is relatively unaffected by this, because most games you are using that interaction zero or one time. If Genius was not a zero point upgrade, it would probably not even be in the list to begin with.
The version with proton bombs/thermals is greatly affected by this, and that's the most terrible version of all so OK.
On the version that has bomblet generator on Nym, this feels like the same nerf-iness level of switching Advanced SLAM for Experimental Interface for Cluster Mine bombing. You are about 95% capable as before.

ConfusedUs posted:

Literally every other "all" effect in the game counts "zero" as a valid value. Example: Hot-Shot Copilot can make someone spend their focus, even if there are zero focus results showing.

I never saw any way to interpret this otherwise and it baffled me the lengths others went to justify their view because they *wanted* it to work otherwise.

Yep. There was also zero rules support pre-FAQ for ruling Trajectory Simulator and Genius not working together, but that didn't stop a dozen strangers from sending abusive messages to our local tournament marshall for ruling it according to the rules of the game and FAQ!

edit:
Look what won a 106 player regional on the US East Coast

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 22, 2018

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm so glad they made sure everyone knew Sabine's crew card was optional, because that really addresses the issue with Sabine's crew card.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

I'm so glad they made sure everyone knew Sabine's crew card was optional, because that really addresses the issue with Sabine's crew card.

It didn't address any balance stuff.
People were dumb about Sabine though, because people were making up their own rules about when you have to declare and use the ability (like on the first bomb removed).

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

canyoneer posted:

because people were making up their own rules about...

This is usually the funnest part of these FAQs and while i frequently refer to them as the "Shut Up, Nerd" document.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

^^^lol @ "shut up nerd" that's totally what I'm going for here

A lot of these clarifications (and others) are because people insist on making up rules and clarifications for things that don't need them, whether because they want it to be one way or because they're idiots.

There's this guy over on reddit, probably the most prolific poster in the weekly Rules Questions threads, who is constantly making poo poo up. He'll see one ruling or FAQ, then IMMEDIATELY apply that to everything else, even unrelated things that aren't in question, and cause all sorts of additional confusion.

My recent favorite is his assertion that because Dash now has to declare his ability before doing maneuvers or reposition actions, that Dash is no longer (optionally) immune to obstacles in the activation phase if he encounters them in some other fashion, such as a Rigged Cargo Chute. He takes the "must declare in <some cases>" clarification ruling in the FAQ and turns it into "it's not one of those situations then his ability doesn't work".

It's insanity, and he's far from the only one. There are half a dozen posters who are always chipping at the edges of the rules to find these things.

I'll be the first to admit that FFG really needs to tighten up their lexicon in any future release. There are more than enough legit edge cases like this caused by poor templating and inconsistent terminology to keep a TO busy.

But I just don't understand this urge to create more trouble where there is none. That's a big part of why so many of these absolutely ridiculous clarifications are necessessary.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I still expect to see lots of Nym/Miranda at regionals. Even with the FAQ it is a stupidly strong list. Still tuning since my folly with trip tie/d defenders, but I am going for the ability to delete gunboats in one round. I want pictures of gunboats to end up on the back of milk cartons when I am done with them.

I am surprised we are not seeing stress lists. Double stress on Kylo/Boats and Miranda just ends them.

Raged fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 23, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I still expect to see lots of Nym/Miranda at regionals. Even with the FAQ it is a stupidly strong list. Still tuning since my folly with trip tie/d defenders, but I am going for the ability to delete gunboats in one round. I want pictures of gunboats to end up on the back of milk cartons when I am done with them.

I am surprised we are not seeing stress lists. Double stress on Kylo/Boats and Miranda just ends them.

There's a guy at the local shop who has been running a RAC/Quickdraw list that is giving everyone fits, even the Miranda/Nym folks.

RAC: VI, Gunner, Vader, Kylo, Dauntless
Quickdraw: VI, FCS, Adv Optics, Frame, Harpoon Missiles

Against alpha lists he aims for bumps + kylo, against aces he's got gunner/vader and also kylo for PS0 crits, against low agility he's got kylo for blinded pilots, and he's got no problem killing a gunboat before it shoots.

I'm like 2-7 against it with various lists. :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Raged posted:

Yeah, the FAQ only takes is from 4 locations it can drop the bomb to 3, albeit, it makes it a lot harder to Proton AND Harpoon in the same round. And it does nothing to the also-abusive-to-lower-PS AdvSens Nym. or Sabine.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Also, RE: stress: Stresshogs tend to explode more or less immediately nowadays. With 8HP and 1ag it's not unreasonable to lose them in two harpoon shoots before it can even fire.

Stress Ezra is starting to show up. Ezra (sheathipede) with Gunner, R3-A2. It's a point less than the traditional stresshog but has a rear arc to keep it relevant, and is higher PS to get the shots before most harpoon carriers go off. Selflessness usually adds +1 round of life to your stress support ship, so with Ezra you get two shots rather than one. And if you can arrange some creative bumping, you may be able to escape and stress from the rear with your permanent defensive glitterstim.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I tested a ghost list last night with quite a bit of success. I'm a bit out of practise with range control at the moment which is basically the whole point of the list but it crushes nym miranda and will completely dumpster kylo too.

Kanan Jarrus (38)
Fire-Control System (2)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Rey (2)
Tactician (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Ghost (0)

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)

"Zeb" Orrelios (18)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Phantom (0)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Use Fenn to coordinate a boost at PS11 to get Kanan into r2 or out of arc. You can block with Kanan too and then use the boost to get over small base ships and get a shot from the rear arc.

At range 2 you get to double tap people with stress and ion which usually means they are dead next turn or at least out of the fight so you can go and bully another ship.

The list has a surprising amount of survivability between Fenn and Kanan's pilot abilities as well as the hotshot copilot. You are usually only taking unmodded shots and can easily have an evade token too. I absolutely destroyed a rebel PS10 alpha list that was using the old genius + trajectory sim ruling, only giving up half points on the ghost.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kanan + X lists are all super good and competitive. This is just another iteration of that with PS11 coordinate.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Shoulda used some homebrew.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Captain Nym (Rebel) (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
"Genius" (0)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
Havoc (0)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
C-3PO (3)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Adaptability (0)
"Chopper" (0)

Total: 100

This is my crazy list.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah the zero thing I guess makes sense as it’s consistent, but it’s more of a forfeiting all potential tokens rather than spending really so it’s was the semantics that got me

I honestly don’t think I e ever had it come up so at least now I know!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I tested a ghost list last night with quite a bit of success. I'm a bit out of practise with range control at the moment which is basically the whole point of the list but it crushes nym miranda and will completely dumpster kylo too.

Kanan Jarrus (38)
Fire-Control System (2)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Rey (2)
Tactician (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Ghost (0)

Veteran Instincts (1)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)

"Zeb" Orrelios (18)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Phantom (0)

Use Fenn to coordinate a boost at PS11 to get Kanan into r2 or out of arc. You can block with Kanan too and then use the boost to get over small base ships and get a shot from the rear arc.

At range 2 you get to double tap people with stress and ion which usually means they are dead next turn or at least out of the fight so you can go and bully another ship.

The list has a surprising amount of survivability between Fenn and Kanan's pilot abilities as well as the hotshot copilot. You are usually only taking unmodded shots and can easily have an evade token too. I absolutely destroyed a rebel PS10 alpha list that was using the old genius + trajectory sim ruling, only giving up half points on the ghost.

I really like that. I like the idea of being able to range control to avoid harpoons.

The other Kanan+Fenn list I like is this one that did well at Chicago:
Kanan Jarrus (38)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Maul (3)
Rey (2)
Tactical Jammer (1)
Ghost (0)

Ezra Bridger (20)
Selflessness (1)
"Chopper" (0)
Phantom (0)

Adaptability (0)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)

Total: 100

If you hit with the first TLT volley, you can use a Maul reroll for free on the second one because you're guaranteed to clear the stress. Fenn ruins the day of anything with Advanced Optics/Poe/Deadey with HotCop, and between that and using Fenn's ability on a different ship you have two ships you can sensor-jam a result on without them being able to do anything.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, the FAQ only takes is from 4 locations it can drop the bomb to 3.
Cmon this is almost dishonesty through oversimplification. 4 potential timings, but not 4 locations. Behind/in front before, behind/in front after. The first two are easily visualised by an opponent before setting dials, and only one of these can put a bomb 10 base lengths in front where you started, or out to range 3 perpendicular from your position.

Trajectory simulator also limits the launching ship to a 1 forward, if they don't want to eat their own bomb, so I think we'll see more scum nym going forwards. Nym, Fenn, Ion Sunny/Inaldra should increase in the popularity list. Hopefully the fix will kill the Foss combo with Jostero because that was probably grosser to joust, though it had no TLTs or regen or Sabine. I think the boba list is just a different version of two shadowcasters, probably boba is a little tankier and harder hitting, while Ketsu has more control and flexibility.

Raged, if you want to krush kill destroy gunboats, I reckon Bossk Ketsu would do it. Zucuss and crackshot would even keep Kylo on his toes.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Kanan Jarrus (38)
Fire-Control System (2)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Rey (2)
Tactician (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Ghost (0)

Veteran Instincts (1)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)

"Zeb" Orrelios (18)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Phantom (0)

This looks real fun. I've been looking at Kanan lists since losing by 2 points to a Kanan Low list with dual shadowcasters. My own dumb fault, I did some bad maths and chose the wrong target to kill in final round. I don't want to go the wookie route, but this is marvellous. Set them up with ion and stress and hit them with 5 dice the next round. Shake N Bake.

If you're coming back to defend your Adelaide title, you might see a mirror haha.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

- Ships cannot recover shields beyond their shield value (I swear this was already a rule)

I heard from one of the local players today that this ruling is effectively to prevent a Y-Wing with Chopper as an Astromech from cannibalizing their BTL-A2 title after the joust if they took no damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

Thweek (Mimicked) only works with the PRINTED pilot ability; does not trigger off additional implied abilities like those granted by IG-2000.

Is there a significance I'm missing with the first sentence or is it just a setup for the second one?

• Locked thread