Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nash posted:

It’s super weird, but this is incredibly out of left field for him. He is usually a super chill guy and up for whatever. I guess that’s why I’m not immediately just tossing him. I’m probably going to have his brother talk to him if he really actually wants to play, or just playing because we asked him.

That's a good idea. Whatever you decide, do it before you sit down to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Splicer posted:

If done poorly you end up with a multiple chances to fail scenario. Let's say you have a high level stun that requires a hit to be allowed spend the die, allows a saving throw once you've spent it, and stuns for result/2 rounds. That's two gates to stunning them at all, and a final one that "feels" like a failure every time you roll 2 or less on your martial die.

Yeah, absolutely. That's something that's in a non-zero amount of the maneuvers in the PHB and its completely baffling how someone actually thought that was a good design idea. The last part is totally valid, though, since a low-roll makes it feel like a wasted turn (even when it isn't necessarily) whereas a high roll seems really cool and efficient but gradenko makes a good point with it probably being superfluous.

So, I made a few modifications just to keep going with the same example for the time being;

quote:

Power Break
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to temporarily weaken its physical capabilities. It has disadvantage on all weapon attack rolls for a number of rounds equal to the superiority die. A Battle Master must be at least level 7 to take this maneuver.

And post-modifications, it became this:

quote:

Power Break
When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forgo one of your attacks to disrupt an opponent's fighting style. When you do so, choose one hostile creature that you can attack and expend one superiority die. The target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it has disadvantage on all weapon attack rolls, Strength skill checks and Dexterity skill checks for a number of rounds equal to your Strength modifier. A Battle Master must be at least level 7 to take this maneuver.

I'm sure there's still adjustments that could (and, arguably, should) be made of course.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

mango sentinel posted:

I like the idea of Bow Druid, does the concept have legs beyond level 4/5? I know most of the actual bow spells are locked behind Ranger, but how much mileage can I get with exclusively druid and reflavoring?

Bow works for a while because druids have poor damage and range with their cantrips. Their good options (frostbite/thorn whip) have effect riders but short range. I wouldn't spend spells or feats specifically to improve bow, just use it until obsolete since elf gives it anyway. Light armor/dex/wood elf all synergize with stealth nicely as well. I would take all 3 of these options to use as needed-

Longbow: 150' range, 600' with disadvantage, does 1d8+3 damage, does 7.5 average damage forever.
Frostbite: CON save, 30' range, 1d6 cold damage + disadvantage on next weapon attack, does 3.5/7/10.5 average damage at levels 1/5/11.
Thorn Whip: melee attack with a 30' range, 1d6 piercing damage and pull 10', 3.5/7/10.5 average damage at levels 1/5/11.

So the bow is good at levels 1-4, average from 5-10 and subpar after level 11, but that's ok, you won't be investing resources in it anyway so use it as long as it works.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Gate posted:

Same reason people troll people on the internet. They're assholes who get off on causing other people frustration. "It's just a prank!"

You don't troll your friends.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If he’s never played before, he might just be not understanding the extent to which a fun dnd game requires people to be at least a little bit on the same page. Hopefully once he sees how the game works he’ll realize “oh I’m not being funny at all” and change up or quit

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm sure there's still adjustments that could (and, arguably, should) be made of course.

Instead of basing the duration on Strength or Dex, since you could have Battlemasters using the other stat, I'd base it on Wis, Int, or Con instead. Con is something every fighter will probably have at least +2 or +3 on. Int or Wis would be the thing to pick to force people into actually choosing those stats. I'd actually angle for Wis, it's a pretty strong offstat anyway since it's tied to Perception and a few other skills, makes sense thematically.

Malpais Legate posted:

You don't troll your friends.

Well sure, but this guy in question basically is. That was my point.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

I think you know the answer to this.

What would you do if the same scenario happened in literally anything except a game of Dungeons & Dragons?

"Hi internet, me and my friends have put together a team to play 5-on-5 basketball. One of the guys has announced that he will only try to score goals for the opposing team, and intends to trip team-mates whenever possible. What kind of strategy should we use to minimise this problem?"

I use the basketball analogy a lot when dealing with poo poo. For whatever reason when D&D is involved people turn off their normal social interaction gauge.
" We play pick up basketball every week on Fridays, and last night a guy showed up and wanted to play. He called a foul every 4-5 minutes and was constantly pulling out his Official NBA rulebook to correct us when we made mistakes. He seems like a nice guy, but how do we deal with him being a rules-lawyer in our casual friday night game? "
"My buddy showed up with his brother and cousin and his cousin's girlfriend unannounced and insisted that we make the game 5v7 so his cousin and girlfriend could play together and that it was her first time playing so its okay that the teams are uneven now. "
"My best friend is finally going to play basketball with us, but he insisted that he wear Heelys and a welding hood while playing. So I made some custom rules to fit him in, but the rest of the group thinks this is unfair? "

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
in this analogy, fighters are centers who are forced to post up every possession vainly waving for the ball while the backcourt rains threes then yells at him for not protecting the rim at the other end on long rebounds

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm probably gonna start a wizard in a game soon and a lot of the subclasses look pretty samey. Anyone got a case to make for either Illusion or Transmutation over the other?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm probably gonna start a wizard in a game soon and a lot of the subclasses look pretty samey. Anyone got a case to make for either Illusion or Transmutation over the other?

School of Illusion has no abilities of note till level 14 (which is a loving mess), and the overall effectiveness of illusion spells depends largely on how the DM adjudicates them.
School of Transmutation is filled with good abilities and is the best school after Divination.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dragonatrix posted:

And post-modifications, it became this:

This is good. There's only one point of failure (the Strength save), and the duration is reliably long. You might want to add a minimum duration of 1 round.

The Gate posted:

Instead of basing the duration on Strength or Dex, since you could have Battlemasters using the other stat, I'd base it on Wis, Int, or Con instead. Con is something every fighter will probably have at least +2 or +3 on. Int or Wis would be the thing to pick to force people into actually choosing those stats. I'd actually angle for Wis, it's a pretty strong offstat anyway since it's tied to Perception and a few other skills, makes sense thematically.

I disagree with making it based on Wisdom or Intelligence, because asking a player to split up their stats across even more stats tends to hurt mechanically even if it helps thematically, especially since there are so few ways to increase stats.

Basing it off of Constitution is okay, since Fighters already tend to have high Con anyway. A Fighter might have +1 or +2 Wisdom or Intelligence, but they might as well never get the chance to increase those, which is no better than setting the duration to a flat value.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The correct answer, if allowed, is Lore Mastery, because that is the dopest archetype.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Pussy Quipped posted:

I use the basketball analogy a lot when dealing with poo poo. For whatever reason when D&D is involved people turn off their normal social interaction gauge.

I don't really know poo poo about basketball, but yeah, that's the point I was trying to make.

"Can you bring Dave? The guy who punched holes in the bottom of the boat last time? Sure, I'll spend the week welding some reinforcement to the hull so he can't try to sink us again!"

e: "Oh he's promised not to? That's fine then, I won't worry about it".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 23, 2018

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Basing it off of Constitution is okay, since Fighters already tend to have high Con anyway. A Fighter might have +1 or +2 Wisdom or Intelligence, but they might as well never get the chance to increase those, which is no better than setting the duration to a flat value.

Yeah, Con is probably the better option on second thought, for that reason. A flat duration (of a minute? 4-5 rounds?) with a save each round might also not be terrible since most spells act that way. If there's an even higher tier of options, that might be the place for effects that are short duration, powerful, but have no save at all, or for ones with only a single save and are slightly longer?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

The Gate posted:

Yeah, Con is probably the better option on second thought, for that reason. A flat duration (of a minute? 4-5 rounds?) with a save each round might also not be terrible since most spells act that way. If there's an even higher tier of options, that might be the place for effects that are short duration, powerful, but have no save at all, or for ones with only a single save and are slightly longer?

4-5 rounds of disadvantage to attacks and all STR/DEX checks is pretty amazing. There would basically be no reason to every hit anyone with anything but that maneuver (unless they're already afflicted by it).

I mean, the only thing that compares is menacing attack which is 1 die on hit, WIS save, and on success they are feared so essentially have disadvantage on all attacks while they see you until end of next turn (this is already a great maneuver).

If you're doing multiple rounds I would say that for this to work the fighter must both a) keep engaged with target (makes logical sense to be continually able to poo poo up their fighting/spell casting) and b) give up an attack every round to keep it going until whatever the max is (I want to say 2-3 rounds because that's already seeming OP let alone 4-5), which also indicates you're giving up attacking to keep preventing them from attacking properly.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 23, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

CubeTheory posted:

The correct answer, if allowed, is Lore Mastery, because that is the dopest archetype.

I was in a game where someone was allowed to have that and god it was tedious having him just be a god at everything. I was looking at Illusion and Transmutation because Illusion would tie into a kenku's trickster nature and transmutation for his backstory as an alchemist's apprentice.

Unrelated: You have an alchemist's apprentice turned wizard. He knows two languages past common and a dialect of primordial. What does he speak? I have my picks but I wanna see if anyone makes a good case for something different.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 23, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Unrelated: You have an alchemist's apprentice turned wizard. He knows two languages past common and a dialect of primordial. What does he speak? I have my picks but I wanna see if anyone makes a good case for something different.
Gnomish, because that’s the closest thing to a “scientific” lingua franca. Either Elvish or Draconic, because these tend to be used for ancient arcane lore a lot (depending on the setting). But really, I’d probably pick one language based on a facet of the character’s background beyond being a wizard/former alchemist’s apprentice.

Likewise unrelated: other than monstrous races and those that get at-will flight, and assuming a setting in which more or less anything goes (i.e. FR), is there a compelling reason for not allowing any of the officially published races in a game?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm designing an encounter for a session tomorrow and I'm not sure I want to handle it. Any ideas would be appreciated. The players are going to be taking a job from a mercenary group they've decided to work with. The job will involve them going to see a Centaur horse salesman who has a unique situation. A large, mirrored orb has appeared in the middle of his pasture. The orb will speak if spoken to but only says things like "I am orb" and "I'm a horse". Most other questions are responded to with "I don't know". While interacting with the Orb another horse will approach it, touch it, and then also change into an Orb. Faced with two orbs and the prospect of his other horses changing into Orbs, the horse salesman will insist the adventurers dispatch the two orbs. Anyone have any ideas for cool abilities I can give the orbs in combat besides just smashing themselves into PCs? Or anything else you see in the design space that could be interesting?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

CubeTheory posted:

I'm designing an encounter for a session tomorrow and I'm not sure I want to handle it. Any ideas would be appreciated. The players are going to be taking a job from a mercenary group they've decided to work with. The job will involve them going to see a Centaur horse salesman who has a unique situation. A large, mirrored orb has appeared in the middle of his pasture. The orb will speak if spoken to but only says things like "I am orb" and "I'm a horse". Most other questions are responded to with "I don't know". While interacting with the Orb another horse will approach it, touch it, and then also change into an Orb. Faced with two orbs and the prospect of his other horses changing into Orbs, the horse salesman will insist the adventurers dispatch the two orbs. Anyone have any ideas for cool abilities I can give the orbs in combat besides just smashing themselves into PCs? Or anything else you see in the design space that could be interesting?

I don't have any ideas really, but something about a centaur selling horses is both hilarious and slightly creepy so A+.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

CubeTheory posted:

Cool!

Here's my take:

The horse licks the orb and gets transformed, not just touches it. You don't really want the PCs scared to approach it at all, right? You can show this by describing the horses rubbing against it, and nothing happens until one licks an orb.

The orbs can only use attacks that have been used against them. Until they are attacked, they just sit there. Telegraph this (and start combat) by having the centaur punch or kick an orb and getting punched by a weird fist-like pseudopod in return. Then the orbs start beating him up.

If attacked by weapons, they grow weird extensions and stuff that look a bit like weapons and use those to attack, returning to mirrored orb shapes between attacks.

They can shoot back with arrows, and shoot back with attack spells.

What I wouldn't do is just give them the same attacks as the PCs. That's fluff. Set their melee and ranged damage to something appropriate, and keep it there. Let them AoE with fireballs or whatever, but make it a charged or recharged attack or something (or just use it once), and definitely don't give it Fireball damage. Again, set their AoE damage as appropriate, and use that. But describe it as a fireball and make them wet their pants.

You could even have them only be able to mirror attacks that have been used the previous round. If the players realise it, they'll probably come up with some fun strategy to exploit it, so roll with that.

e: Maybe the orbs try to convert more horses into orbs? (like, by absorbing them then splitting into two orbs or something) Then at the end, the defeated orbs turn back into horses.

e2: Except there's an extra horse left over. The centaur gives that horse to the party as a reward. Is it a horse? Or an orb? If it's a horse, what turned it into an orb? The original orb, that's still out there? (Don't answer these questions, but ask them if the players don't bring them up. Then let the players speculate, listen, and mine that for ideas).

e3: Alternatively, the orbs only work on horses. One absorbs the centaur during the fight. There's an extra horse at the end of the fight, and also an extra dude who's really angry about this. The extra horse might be angry too, or it might be happier like this.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 23, 2018

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Getting herbs for the most potent elixirs requires an array of ingredients from all around the world. Teleportation is too expensive to be cost effective and most of the good stuff starts to go inert after a few weeks, even with drying/curing. The best and most affordable herbs come from Underdark trading runs. As a consequence most alchemists speak Undercommon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CubeTheory posted:

Do you have a backstory for the orbs? Because I'm picturing a kind of contagious glitch where the orbs are placeholder graphics and audio for an otherwise mostly functional horse, or an orb of destruction (elemental plane of horse).

If they attack them, use the stats for horses and describe it as biting or kicking or trampling them. Do not acknowledge any problems with this. Have the new horse defend and intercept attacks for the original orb. Have the original orb try to infect more horses. After a while have them breathe "horse fire" and start describing the players as taking "horse damage".

If they destroy a lesser orb describe "a wave of horse" and have a horse reappear unharmed. Start replacing arbitrary nouns with horse.

If they destroy the original orb describe an "explosion of horse horsing horse hhhhooorrrssseeee". Play horse noises from your horse. Replace your DM's screen with a sheet of paper saying "Stables & Dragoons". Put on a horse mask, if available. Refer to them as appropriate horse types (the dwarf is a pony, the tiefling is a keshi). If they try to leave, describe them "cantering across the horse, opening the horse, and running down the horse". Describe the chaos of horses trapped in horses trying to dismount out of second story horses. At some point they should encounter a half horse half horse neighing incoherently at them. While they can leave the area of effect, they will perceive themselves and their equipment as horses for an hour or so, at which point the effects have dissipated from them and the horse ranch. The remaining orbs have been returned to horses. There is one extra horse. It's a very nice horse.

If they capture the last orb (keeping in mind that a horse is a large creature) refer to horses as orbs and centaurs as half orbs until they destroy it or sell it to someone.

At the end of the session, say you hope nobody objected to you

horsing around

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 23, 2018

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Splicer posted:

Do you have a backstory for the orbs? Because I'm picturing a kind of contagious glitch where the orbs are placeholder graphics and audio for an otherwise mostly functional horse, or an orb of destruction (elemental plane of horse).

To stay in-metastory have them be "miscast monster summoning spells" from another Prime Material plan. The horses aremt "becoming" orbs they are absorbed and stuck in the transitional state. Destroying the orbs stops them from replicating, but leaves you with a twisted dead horse (or whatever else they grab on their first contact).

This could lead to a minor interplanar adventure later to go smack the wizard that keeps having these pop up in the area.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FRINGE posted:

To stay in-metastory have them be "miscast monster summoning spells" from another Prime Material plan. The horses aremt "becoming" orbs they are absorbed and stuck in the transitional state. Destroying the orbs stops them from replicating, but leaves you with a twisted dead horse (or whatever else they grab on their first contact).

This could lead to a minor interplanar adventure later to go smack the wizard that keeps having these pop up in the area.
It could be an ontological issue, where the horse's physical form has been summoned away but the concept of the horse has remained behind attached to the "summon goes here" spell marker thing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

It could be an ontological issue, where the horse's physical form has been summoned away but the concept of the horse has remained behind attached to the "summon goes here" spell marker thing.

...and this is the reason that properly "summoning" a horse runs a unique temporary instance of Horse instead of using some dumbass shortcut that c̸o̸p̵i̵e̵s̵ a random for-real h̷o̸r̸s̵e̸ from wherever i̶t̷ happens to be, to w̴h̷e̴r̷e̸ you want ii̴̲͐t̸͖̥̓.

E: And if you think it's bad with summonings, go have a look at the place where the last guy tried a shortcut to fireball. I mean, figuratively. You can't actually look at it. Because you would sublimate.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 23, 2018

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I do have a backstory for the orb horse. In a few sessions the players are going to be introduced to a chaotic demigod with the mental capacity of a hyperactive 11 year old girl. Think of her like an insane child Q from Star Trek. As a baby her parents were attacked by bandits while traveling and she was left alone in the aftermath. Her incessant crying attracted and annoyed Titania, who was nearby for other reasons. Titania asked her attendant why the child cried snd the attendant answered because it was dying. She asked why it was dying and the attendant said because it was powerless. Titania then granted the child power to cease it's crying.

Anywho, this demigod grew up in the wilds with power and no moral compass. She's basically a tool to create unexpected and unforeseeable interesting interactions in the campaign. Their first taste is this weird orb horse she made when she tried to make a horse "cooler" but messed it up and got bored and wandered off.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Splicer posted:

Play horse noises from your horse. Replace your DM's screen with a sheet of paper saying "Stables & Dragoons". Put on a horse mask, if available.

Gonna bookmark this kind of mental fuckery for when I actually get an in-person game going, hot drat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Omnipotent being breaks the local concept of "horse" while trying to make a horse "more horsey" fits some or all of the above.

Even if you don't want to go full horsepocalypse, I think these bits are still applicable:

AlphaDog posted:

The horse licks the orb and gets transformed, not just touches it. You don't really want the PCs scared to approach it at all, right? You can show this by describing the horses rubbing against it, and nothing happens until one licks an orb.

e: Maybe the orbs try to convert more horses into orbs? (like, by absorbing them then splitting into two orbs or something) Then at the end, the defeated orbs turn back into horses.

e2: Except there's an extra horse left over. The centaur gives that horse to the party as a reward.

e3: Alternatively, the orbs only work on horses. One absorbs the centaur during the fight. There's an extra horse at the end of the fight, and also an extra dude who's really angry about this. The extra horse might be angry too, or it might be happier like this.

Splicer posted:

If they attack them, use the stats for horses and describe it as biting or kicking or trampling them. Do not acknowledge any problems with this. Have the new horse defend and intercept attacks for the original orb. Have the original orb try to infect more horses. After a while have them breathe "horse fire" and start describing the players as taking "horse damage".

If they destroy a lesser orb describe "a wave of horse" and have a horse reappear unharmed. Start replacing arbitrary nouns with horse.

There is one extra horse. It's a very nice horse.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 23, 2018

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Splicer posted:

If they destroy the original orb describe an "explosion of horse horsing horse hhhhooorrrssseeee". Play horse noises from your horse. Replace your DM's screen with a sheet of paper saying "Stables & Dragoons". Put on a horse mask, if available. Refer to them as appropriate horse types (the dwarf is a pony, the tiefling is a keshi). If they try to leave, describe them "cantering across the horse, opening the horse, and running down the horse". Describe the chaos of horses trapped in horses trying to dismount out of second story horses. At some point they should encounter a half horse half horse neighing incoherently at them. While they can leave the area of effect, they will perceive themselves and their equipment as horses for an hour or so, at which point the effects have dissipated from them and the horse ranch. The remaining orbs have been returned to horses. There is one extra horse. It's a very nice horse.

If they capture the last orb (keeping in mind that a horse is a large creature) refer to horses as orbs and centaurs as half orbs until they destroy it or sell it to someone.

At the end of the session, say you hope nobody objected to you

horsing around

You mad genius.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Oh these are all great ideas and I'm going to pick and pull them together into something interesting. I do like the idea of things getting more "horsey" as there are more orbs, I'll probably do something along those lines. Imprinting attacks on the orb and having it spit them back out is pretty interesting too. I've got a few hours, I'll think on it and see where I'm at when the session starts. Should be memorable no matter what.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
So no one is going to mention this is a bit from My Brother My Brother and Me?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

So no one is going to mention this is a bit from My Brother My Brother and Me?

Shhhhhh, my players don't listen to MBMBAM, and it's not exactly the same, just the Orb as Horse thing. Take inspiration from everything.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I just found out DnD Beyond exists, how is it

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
It's loving great if you never bought the books, everyone who did will only enjoy the full benefit of the program if they pay for a digital copy of a their materials all over again. Slightly cheaper but still kind of a slap in the face.

There's two tiers of subscription, only one is worthwhile. For 55 bucks a year, you can share all the material you own on Dnd beyond with other people. They don't have to buy anything and see all you have access to as long as they are in your session. They only need the free version of Dnd beyond.

With the free version you have 6 character slots, and can make characters in the site. It's a really good interface and super handy for DMs.... But I find it really hard to justify buying all my books again.

DnD beyond is perfect for new folks though. They can buy digital materials at a reduced price and can even purchase individual things from the book if that's all they care about. If they later decide to buy the whole book, the price will be discounted by whatever they spent on materials within it. That's pretty cool, too loving bad this didn't come out until like three years after the books did.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 23, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I like D&D Beyond, but I'd like it a lot less if I didn't have enough disposable income to buy digital copies of books I also buy hard copies of. It's a convenient character builder for sure, the mobile app (in alpha right now) is pretty good for looking things up in the books on my phone, and being able to share my content with some of my fellow players who can't afford to buy all this stuff is really nice.

E: I would also add that it's a good character sheet. I can check off HP modifications, spell slots, limited use abilities, HD on rests, recharge things on rest with a button, etc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
How does it compare to the, errm, digital backup copies I currently am using? Is there a quick lookup I can use for random things (more murky/general things like "grappling" than "specific thing already in distinct category"). The roll20 compendium is fine for looking up a monster or feat or spell but it's no good for system knowledge that is spread out.

Like, if wotc made a product that actually competes favorably with ctrl+f on a pdf, I might buy books a second third time.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Can I create an encounter on D&D Beyond and then print all the monster stat blocks in a concise manner? Specifically a few monsters to a page? That's what I would probably want the most.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

CubeTheory posted:

Can I create an encounter on D&D Beyond and then print all the monster stat blocks in a concise manner? Specifically a few monsters to a page? That's what I would probably want the most.

You can look up specific monsters and set them to individual tabs for an encounter on your phone/tablet. I'm not sure about printing. Everything is really well indexed. I'm not sure about the individual granular rules like grappling though

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How does it compare to the, errm, digital backup copies I currently am using? Is there a quick lookup I can use for random things (more murky/general things like "grappling" than "specific thing already in distinct category"). The roll20 compendium is fine for looking up a monster or feat or spell but it's no good for system knowledge that is spread out.

Like, if wotc made a product that actually competes favorably with ctrl+f on a pdf, I might buy books a second third time.

You can just search in a search bar and it will search all of the books for whatever; you have to own the material to actually open the full description though. A lot of stuff has mouseover pop-ups and hot links to other related items. Like a spell causes a status, and you mouseover the status and get a description. Or an item gives a spell like power, you can mouse over or click through for the spell info.

CubeTheory posted:

No adventure or encounter building, but it has the full MM and any secondaries you own for statblocks for reference. They don't intend to create any virtual tabletop functionality, so I wouldn't expect anything like that to happen. They have said repeatedly that they would like to reach arrangements for integration into Fantasy Grounds and Roll20, so that might be a thing one day (it's not yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

NeurosisHead posted:

You can just search in a search bar and it will search all of the books for whatever; you have to own the material to actually open the full description though. A lot of stuff has mouseover pop-ups and hot links to other related items. Like a spell causes a status, and you mouseover the status and get a description. Or an item gives a spell like power, you can mouse over or click through for the spell info.
I guess the usage I have in mind is "look up obscure interaction" - roll20 falls short when I have to look up things whose rules are spread across multiple places, like grappling, or what casting a spell as a ritual means. Links are cool but not really enough.