Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

go 3-4man (plus boxes) seru and get his mount, unless that's not a thing at some point? My crew ran that a bunch of times for mounts for all our chars either in PoP/GoD era or OoW I forget.

Obviously you need friends for that, but it can't be too hard to find a few people that need a fast mount and have big chars/access to big chars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Can someone explain the Combat Stability AA to me? Or what the AC "soft cap" means? Is there a hard cap?

I imagine this has something to do with like when I crit a mob for 900, but only 650 dam gets through?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

When a mob hits a character, the damage they do is calculated based on Damage Interval (DI) and Damage bonus (DB), with the damage dealt being DB + (1 to 20)*DI, with the minimum hit being DB+DI, and the maximum hit being DB+20*DI. The (1...20) roll is what determines the majority of the damage for most mobs, and differences between player and mob level, mob attack rating, and player AC are what weights the roll so that the majority of rolls are more towards the maximum or more toward the minimum. If you're fighting a mob with a DB of 800 and a DI of 200, the min hit would be 1000, and the max would be 4800, making the goal of any tank to get themselves geared to get as many minimum hits as possible.

AC heavily helps to skew this roll downwards, and gives excellent returns up until its soft cap. After the soft cap, increasing AC gives diminished benefits (about 30% of normal) depending on the class in question, with the exception of shield AC that gives the full benefit regardless of being over cap. There is no hard cap on AC gains. By the late 60s you'll be well over your soft cap, but in the earlier levels a difference of 100 AC can be night and day to how much you survive. The combat stability AA simply raises your AC soft cap so it's like getting a bunch of AC for free. It's not flashy, but maxing stability and other defensive AAs is what every tanking class has to do every 5 levels while leveling up in order to not be completely destroyed by higher level content, as that's what it is tuned around.

edit: If you're in omens, there were mechanics introduced then where certain mob types took bonus or reduced damage depending on whether you used piercing, slashing, or blunt weapons. That's probably what your seeing with crits not adding up.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 21, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

That makes sense, thanks!

Is there a way to filter out others' critical strikes so that the chat only shows your own? The only option for filters regarding criticals is just a general ON/OFF for crits, and it shows mine, and everyone else's. I can't find an option for just like, YOUR critical strikes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there any ~lore~ behind what phlarg fiends are?

____

is it possible to order your tank merc to attack a different target for the purposes of aggroing multiple target so that I can AOE them all down?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 21, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

DING LEVEL 70! You'll find me in the back of the club sippin champagne! gently caress all the haters that said it couldn't be done.

This game is as good today as it was 15 years ago. Everyday I have so much fun.

Now I need to just get the signets from Rss/Cata/Sewers, and start working on my epics. I've got 2 weeks to run DoN content with my guild before then. Vish tomorrow I think.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 22, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Okay, so apparently I still have about 8750 in Daybreak funbucks, I vaguely remember buying two $15 Sony gift cards like ten years ago when they used to triple value+$10 weekends and I was playing EQ2. Is there anything in the store really worth spending in the store for someone looking to experience what they've added in the last 10+ years?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
You can get a heroic character that starts you at 85 for 3500(?). It's kind a double-edged sword because it plops you in the game with like thousands of AAs and spells you won't know how to use.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I wouldn't go heroic, you'll probably just get confused and enraged and then quit right away. It's a lot of information to digest compared to getting it piece by piece as you level.

There's some nice QoL stuff on the store though like a jetpack thing that's basically a mount and levitate rolled in once. That's super nice for general purpose stuff and you can pass it onto your alts on the same account if you don't need it anymore. There's also cosmetic stuff like the hero's forge and merc slots but I always ended up spending my 500 fun bucks on whatever the deal thing that popped up when you get it every month was most of the time. So many useless card packs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
A stat horse is the only thing worth while. Maybe the levi click undead frog wand (for the 5 hour Levi effect). Anything else is a bonus, cosmetic etc. I’d argue even exp potions are bad value.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any way to search for what characters you have on what servers? I have a bunch of different characters spread out on different accounts and different servers.

I know I have some characters on the TLP servers (Fippy and Phinny), but would I have to subscribe all my accounts, just to see what characters are on what account/server?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I think you can get to character select without a subscription, but you need Gold or whatever it's called now to log into TLP and live characters above the F2P level cap.

I could be wrong.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

suuma posted:

I think you can get to character select without a subscription, but you need Gold or whatever it's called now to log into TLP and live characters above the F2P level cap.

I could be wrong.

It wouldn't let me past the server select screen last night when I tried to check on my Fippy & Phinny characters. It says you need a subscription :(

I know I have a 50 bard on Phinny, but I don't want to pay for 5 subscriptions to find out what account he is on!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 23, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I figured you could get to server select without a sub since most of the servers are free to play? Odd.

Admittedly I haven't tried in several months.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

suuma posted:

I figured you could get to server select without a sub since most of the servers are free to play? Odd.

Admittedly I haven't tried in several months.

Oh maybe I misunderstood you. I can log onto the free servers no problem, but I really want to know what characters I have on the Fippy and Phinigel servers. I know I have a few spread out between 3 or 4 accounts.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yes, you can get TO the server select. But no, you can't get to CHARACTER select with a sub on TLPs. That's where he's having the issues.

I don't know a way to do what you want. Maybe email support, and they'll tell you. You might have to like...make a request on each account "Does this account have CharacterX on Phinny?" or something.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
My bad, i thought you were checking non-TLP servers too but also didn't realize you needed a sub to even get to TLP character select.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thanks for the advice on the store. I saw mounts and familiars in there with stat buffs so I wasn't sure how much help they were. I play a monk so I figure a 100% weight reduction bag or two would be helpful at least.

How soloable is older content? Would I be able to get to 90-95 and cruise through the older zones with little issue or is the power curve flat enough that I would still have trouble in like the 2005-2010 expansion zones since they're the zone I'm most interested in checking out.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 23, 2018

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks for the advice on the store. I saw mounts and familiars in there with stat buffs so I wasn't sure how much help they were. I play a monk so I figure a 100% weight reduction bag or two would be helpful at least.

How soloable is older content? Would I be able to get to 90-95 and cruise through the older zones with little issue or is the power curve flat enough that I would still have trouble in like the 2005-2010 expansion zones since they're the zone I'm most interested in checking out.
Itd be easy until around lvl 70 (SoF expansion or so).

It would probably be better to box another f2p character. It's not as hard as it sounds. You'd get 2 characters and 2 mercs.
Monk and shaman I think it's pretty common.

You could also play on test if all you ever want to do is solo/box with yourself. This would remove f2p restrictions and you could box as many gold characters as you want.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQjgM6Euzs

Does anyone know what skin he's using? Could I use that U.I. skin on a TLP?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 25, 2018

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Dennis McClaren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQjgM6Euzs

Does anyone know what skin he's using? Could I use that U.I. skin on a TLP?

Since that's the default UI, yes you can :)

You just need to be meticulous in how you set things up.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Got Anguish flagged, so Im good to go for Saturday's raids! Can't wait for Dodh, even though I still have a lot to do in DoN.

Is there anything I should look to accomplish in particular? 70 raid geared Ranger, now.

AFAIK, I need to do DoN progression, epic 1.5, and anything else??

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
That's definitely the highlights from the past 2 expansions - DoN progression unlocks some passive benefits that are nice, and epic 2.0 will still last as a clicky for a while (some classes more than others). For me I think I'll even keep it equipped for another expansion or two (bard).

They're rotting now, so make sure you get an orb on a CoA run, don't stop with your 1.5.

A fun thing you can do too - "An Epic Request". Here's the ranger version: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=6800 . I'm not sure of the prereqs for it - you might need to have your 2.0 already or something.

Each time you do it you can unlock an appearance item for your weapons, no matter what type, to make it look like your 1.0 / 1.5 / 2.0. So run it 3 times and you get them all. On top of that, each class's version has a "special way" to complete it and if you do that on your third (or any subsequent) time, it'll give you a unique appearance item you can use as well.

I don't know poo poo about the ranger one, but for the bard, it was "don't miss any instrument swaps" which is pretty funny since that's how you'd do it anyways. Some of them are kinda hard to figure out I've heard.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been playing EQ2 for the past few days and I have All Access which iirc might give me some stuff in EQ1? I dunno, either way I want to give it a shot because I think EQ1 is the only big MMO I've never tried. I like being a supporty healy dude and want everyone to love me so I can wag my finger and have five group invites. What class should I roll?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cleric

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whoa, the movement and camera are a little wonky. Is there a way to make it a bit more normal or is that just how it is? Hitting F9 just cycled me through some stuff, one of which was a view where all I could see was my dude's head. :v:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dennis McClaren posted:

Got Anguish flagged, so Im good to go for Saturday's raids! Can't wait for Dodh, even though I still have a lot to do in DoN.

Is there anything I should look to accomplish in particular? 70 raid geared Ranger, now.

AFAIK, I need to do DoN progression, epic 1.5, and anything else??

If you hate yourself you could try to do the BiC aug, I think that remains a top tier aug for a few expansions, unless I'm wrong.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
BiC aug is a great aug, but that's a *lot* of work for like 20ac 200hem +4regen. Especially being so far out of era, getting the boss pieces would be pretty tough unless they're still doing all the GoD raids.

On the plus side, all the earlier steps would be a lot easier now. Less competition, easily have a box crew smash a lot of the events.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Blast of Confetti posted:

I've been playing EQ2 for the past few days and I have All Access which iirc might give me some stuff in EQ1? I dunno, either way I want to give it a shot because I think EQ1 is the only big MMO I've never tried. I like being a supporty healy dude and want everyone to love me so I can wag my finger and have five group invites. What class should I roll?

This post pertains to leveling up on TLP servers. Live is a different beast somewhat since you can merc a healer up to a point where it feels like a fully fleshed out class with additional spell sets and AAs.

That being said...

Cleric is the only healing class people give a poo poo about to actually heal in this game. Others can, but if you're primarily going to be playing with the general populace and want instant groups and attention lavished upon you, cleric is your class. You will not ant for groups and raid offers. For the most part. Overall population is still very top heavy and groups can be limited in certain level ranges.

If you want to be a badass swiss army knife of sexual dynamite down the road, be a shaman. They can do everything well the higher level they are. Good dots, slows, pretty dece heals and regen. Haste and buffs. Fun poo poo.

lol druids. Great for powerleveling low level chars.

RCarr posted:

First person mode is the way God intended for man to play Everquest.

True story. I almost quit WoW at launch dismissing it as a failure because it's first person camera was awkward compared to EQs. "vastly superior" camera.

Givin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 25, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Whoa, the movement and camera are a little wonky. Is there a way to make it a bit more normal or is that just how it is? Hitting F9 just cycled me through some stuff, one of which was a view where all I could see was my dude's head. :v:

First person mode is the way God intended for man to play Everquest.

Last night, I loaded up all my accounts on the test server, ran my box crew to the PoK to meet up, and... just lost interest in playing.

The only way I can get into this game at this point is to play on one of the TLP servers, where the game is fully populated, like it was in my glory days of playing EQ at 14 years old. Maybe I'll try again the next time they open a new TLP. I had a blast when the Phinny server was released a few years ago. I played a ton, hit 50, went on some raids, and... completely lost interest in playing. :shrug:

RCarr fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 25, 2018

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

You could try a shaman.

Your roll while grouping will be heal first and other stuff second and once you hit 70 and get your epic 2.0, you will be a melee buff god. Coupled with a bard, you are a good send. 70 grouping is pretty wild with a bard, SK, yourself and the rest melee. You will easily break 15 AA per hour in places like Paw with that setup. Shaman became the best group healers with OoW. Clerics are still king for healing raid tanks. You also get Nadox which is so broken.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The guy has never played EQ before. Let's temper expectations a bit before assuming he will be playing through half a dozen expansions. Early on, Clerics are king.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Can you sell back loyalty items for the points back? I bought the 100% weight bag for my test monk but didn't know loyalty items don't transfer.

Also, has anyone ever heard of characters accidentally shifting accounts during server mergers? Because I apparently have a 65 enchanter sitting in Birindu that I cannot remember creating or leveling at all.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 26, 2018

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Unrelated; if there are any other Lanysites (or anyone at all) hanging around here and are looking for a home on Agnarr, message anyone from End Apocalypse, there's a bunch of us there, few ex-Conquest guys, Sigil, The Shadow Order, and various others.

hyrum_shakiel
Nov 17, 2017
I have started playing again after six years. I am from the UK but I started on FV because AB is dead. Somehow I ended up buying a heroic character and the latest expansion. This was all because I joined a guild and wanted to group with them , gently caress levelling on my own.I feel like such a dirty whale .

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

hyrum_shakiel posted:

I have started playing again after six years. I am from the UK but I started on FV because AB is dead. Somehow I ended up buying a heroic character and the latest expansion. This was all because I joined a guild and wanted to group with them , gently caress levelling on my own.I feel like such a dirty whale .

You should. The real men of EQ level naked without crutches like AAs and gear.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Honestly that's the most fun part for me. Anytime I feel the EQ itch, I start a new character, enjoy the hell out of the few weeks it takes to level up, and then immediately get super bored and quit.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
I’ve heard that it’s possible to pull the emp in ssra out of his room. Does anyone know how that works?

Crunk Magnet
Feb 19, 2004
Poop Soup
I heard that too. I also heard it is possible to do it to Seru too. The person who brought it up mentioned they will ban you for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I don't know about Seru, but Emp definitely. And our guild, and I'm sure many others, did it the entirety of Luclin. Noone ever got banned.

You can do it for VT too, although our guild didn't do that, although most did. We should have, VT is loving terrible. Noone ever got banned.

I don't remember the exact strat for Emp though. I know sometimes people died trying to do it. I *think* it involves someone porting up, getting aggro, then getting a heal from a cleric at the raid, then cothing the person who got aggro. You have to do it from a specific room in SSRA that's closest to Emp.

I could be wrong though - I'm just a bard and never was part of the pull.