Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Eternia has one of the best music tracks in the game: The Immortal Country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF1rqIWNQF8

It's very eerie after hearing and seeing all the horrors the Eternian army is wreaking abroad to see Eternia as a peaceful, prosperous land on the cutting edge of medicine with this hauntingly beautiful song as its background music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I do like how the town that has stamped out sickness and disease is surrounded by wildlife that constantly vomits status effects at you.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I guess it's understandable they didn't want to cause a loss in morale by announcing the commander's daughter has defected.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Anyway, Edea's mom is in treatment and is in need of the White Magic drip. Shame about the whole...war...cutting off the White Magic, eh, Edea?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rainuwastaken posted:

I do like how the town that has stamped out sickness and disease is surrounded by wildlife that constantly vomits status effects at you.

Now you know why they stamped it out. :eng101:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Now you know why they stamped it out. :eng101:

"It does not do to leave a live malboro out of your calculations, if you live near him."

Prowler
May 24, 2004

gently caress those shrooms. If I recall correctly, they also constantly spawn more shrooms, don't they?

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

The mushrooms from the Florem area do, but these ones just cast confuse every time they're hit with a physical attack. Mushroom are basically the "screw you physical attackers" mobs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Florem is where physical attackers go to regret their life choices.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Florem is where physical attackers go to regret their life choices.

Or do they?

I'm pretty sure I abused their duplication to get myself lots and lots of JP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So Eternia is subsisting on the power of magic instead of the power of crystals? Or does the power of magic... come from the crystals? It kind of sounded like one was involved somehow.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

So Eternia is subsisting on the power of magic instead of the power of crystals? Or does the power of magic... come from the crystals? It kind of sounded like one was involved somehow.

You'll see soon enough.

As they say, seeing is believing.

I'd answer the question, but I think it still qualifies as spoilers at this point.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Glazius posted:

the white magic cables go to/come from the crystal

i'm sure it's going to be "the crystalists were keeping the crystals' power all to themselves! look what great healing we can do with it now that they've all been murdered!" "oh no it turns out using so much of the crystals' power was bad after all! who could have forseen this?!"

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 69: The Healthcare Debate

Braev's turtling in his fortress and the world's not ending just yet...

Yeah, we've got time to visit Edea's hospitalized madre.

The Central Healing Tower feels somewhere between sterile and tranquil.

Most of the tower is blocked off to us, but we can speak with some nurses.

Hopefully there aren't any patients in the emergency room.

Month after month it came, and always anonymously. It went on for years. Whoever it was, she must have been very dear to them...

I wouldn't still be alive if I didn't get to come live here.

Lucky the kid's now healthy enough to survive. Maybe someday we'll meet her mysterious benefactor. Probably not today.

Also, apparently Eternian healthcare is not government-provided, thus the 'Immortality' thing only applies to those who can afford it. Either that or this girl needed extra care beyond the standard amount provided by government services. You can bet your bottom the game's not going to clarify.

Further up the tower, Edea's mom is in one of the swank private rooms, as befits the wife of Eternia's de facto leader.

You know, hopefully Braev isn't expecting the party to visit Edea's mother. It'd be a smart, if depressing way to trap the party.

Never mind that; are you alright!?

Of course I am. You mustn't trust everything you hear. And I've been feeling quite a bit better since I came here.

Yes, but--

Well, aren't you going to introduce me?

Oh, um...about that. You see...I...uh...

I am Edea's mother, Mahzer Lee. Thank you for looking after my daughter.

This is a 2/10 on the pun scale.

Oh sh--

...!

Mother, how could you possibly know that!?

I am the grand marshal's wife, after all. I hear much to which others are not privy.

And I am particularly well informed about the wind vestal's traveling companions. Sir Alternis provides me with the latest news.

Alternis! I wish he'd mind his own business!

Oh, relax. I won't report you. After all, it's not that often that I get to see my darling daughter.

Mother...

My, you look almost grown up now, Edea. And to think you were such a spoiled little thing when you left.

Mother, you're embarrassing me!

Ah, what a wonderful friend you've made.

To be in your daughter's company...the pleasure is all mine.

You stay out of this, Ringabel.

How wonderful to see you so full of vim and vigor!

I'm...I'm sorry if I worried you, Mother.

If that is truly so, then there is one thing you could tell me. Why did you defy your father so? You must have a good reason, I'm sure.

...The world...it is being consumed in darkness.

Many have already suffered greatly as the shadow envelops the world. Tiz here counts among them.

And the suffering and sorrow will only multiply if we fail to stop it. Agnès has been risking life and limb in her quest to rid the world of this darkness.

Yet my former comrades in the Knights of the Eternian Sky sought to capture and even kill her.

They've done nothing but cause pain and suffering, and taken many upon many lives.

I used to believe Anticrystalism was the true way, but...

I know now that is not so. After traveling the world, there is so much I've seen for the first time.

I've taken in all I've seen and all I've learned. And there, deep in my heart, I've come to know what is black and what is white.

That is why I am here now with my dear comrades and friends.

No, you don't understand. We haven't come seeking battle. We've come to awaken the Earth Crystal.

Awaken it?

There's no need for that.

No need? Mother, what do you mean?

There's no need to worry about me.

Edea starts to speak, but a nurse enters the room, interrupting her.

Forgive me, but this is where we must say goodbye. Please, do look after my daughter.

Mother...

Mahzer leaves with the nurse and the party exits the tower. As they walk away, Agnès turns back to look at the building.

I wonder to where they all lead.

...To the Earth Crystal.

What's this!?

Eternia has advanced its medical arts by extracting the crystal's energy.

My mother once suffered from a debilitating disease.

That she could speak with such vigor today is due to the Earth Crystal.

But how could such a thing be possible? Even vestals are incapable of extracting power directly from the crystals.

It seems Eternian scholars long studied how to extract such power, and finally succeeded, but I know no more than that...

Wait. What would become of the Central Medical Tower if we were to awaken the Earth Crystal?

What of your mother, Edea, and the many others receiving treatment there?

If the power provided by that cable were to suddenly cease, the people that depend on it to survive...they might all...

As a vestal, I can only say that this white magic cable is a desecration upon the Earth Crystal.

...There are people whose lives depend on it?

But...but... Only the Eternians benefit.

I mean, not awakening the Earth Crystal is like... It's like abandoning the rest of the world to suffer darkness.

It's not an easy choice, but we have to try. We can't let the whole world be covered in darkness!

Airy continues to say things that are technically correct, but stated in the most callous way possible.

In another circumstance, this might make for an interesting moral dilemma, but here, there is no choice. It's either the entire world (including Eternia) dies or Eternia suffers.

And I shall not stand for it. That's why I'm here with you. And that's why you must awaken the Earth Crystal, Agnès.

Agnès!

...Alright, then.

I'm glad you understand. Now, to reach Everlast Tower, we must make our way through Eternian Central Command.

There are three passages leading there from here in the city. We must pass through one of them.

But be warned. My father has no doubt deployed an ironclad defense.

Er, right. We're listening. Just...go on.

Three paths connect Central Command to Eternia proper, each of them different.

The central passage is the shortest. BUT, the enemies we'll find there are all nightmares.

The western passage is longer and the enemies tough, but not as tough as on the center path.

None of the guards along the east path are very strong, but the distance is extremely long.

There are no easy options here, but the choice is ours. What do we do?

This would be a great place to open the LP to a vote, except there's really only one answer: D - All of the Above. :black101:

Mahzer has nothing else to say to us. At least she didn't turn us in? And at least Braev didn't have the foresight to stake the Central Healing Tower out once he learned his daughter was heading to the place where her mother was hospitalized.

In retrospect, Einheria was one of Eternia's smarter tacticians. She managed to successfully capture the vestal by assessing and taking advantage of the party's past heroic behavior. Luckily for the party she underestimated their power level.

It's not a place to go mucking about in if you've no business there.

This man on the west side of town warns us off continuing on. Don't worry, sir, we have business.

Our crossroads comes up once we're north of the city.

Our choices are west, east, or north first.

You can see the three paths on the map.

Here's a close-up. We're the big glowy yellow dot.

-The light yellow path is the easy mode long route. You might notice there's an interesting side road we can visit along the way.

-The medium blue path is the medium mode route with a mini-mini boss at the end. There's a side road there, too, but it's less interesting at the moment.

-The dark red path is the short hard mode route with a decently tough boss in the middle.

Let's take the west (blue) path first.

As promised, Eternia's military has some powerful foes along the way.

Ringabel

The battle backgrounds in this game are almost always nice to look at.

Is... it a violent animatronic bear? Or just a trained bear? Or a trained soldier in a bear suit? It's not like it fires cannons or anything -- it just swipes a big bear claw at you.

The western route's side road leads to a castle surrounded by forest. Curious...

Hell, you know what this game really needs? Vampires.

The craze is dying off nowadays, but when Bravely Default came out, vampires were all the rage.

By the way, not sure why everyone's speaking style changed this chapter. Their English has gone from situationally casual to formal and old-fashioned.

What is this place?

Castle Frostcoffin... It's been abandoned for two thousand years. The people of this land call it Vampire Castle and fear to tread anywhere near it.

Vampire Castle? Sounds like an adventure! What're we waiting for?

Oof! The door won't budge. It seems the way is barred.

They say this door suddenly appeared one day amid a fierce blizzard. But it has been shut tight ever since.

Let's move on. Our quest lies with the Earth Crystal.

There's nothing to do here. Edea leads the way out.

Back to the main path and further on, a giant dragon is blocking the road. This is the western route's mini-mini boss.

Zombie dragon spews poison but is otherwise not very tough. Just don't use drain attacks, as they'll harm the character instead of healing.

As a member of the undead, it is weak to light and fire damage. It also has very little in the way of HP!

The dragon has one trick: the first time it reaches 0 HP, it will resurrect itself at full health.

It's easy enough to defeat normally, but there's an even easier method, an old trick used in some Final Fantasy games.

If drain attacks heal the enemy, guess what healing items do to them?

All it takes is throwing a couple of phoenix downs, one per undead life, and that's a third of Eternia's defenses obliterated.

Guessing Eternia is not approved by Luxendarc's animal rights groups.

With the western path done, the entrance to Central Command is right in front of us. But that's no fun.

There's a big fellow south of us. Let's go visit them next.

After backtracking to the start, we're now going up the central, hard mode path. Remember those cannons from when we were on Grandship?

The boss for the central route is this guy, accompanied by artillery fire.

The boss hits really hard, has decent HP, and raises its evasion to boot.

In addition, every few turns the boss will take a break and let the surrounding cannons have a go. They'll always hit for 1500, ignoring Default.

The boss will occasionally lower its defenses, giving the party an opening to strike. Lightning will give your damage an extra kick.

Keep HP topped off and eventually the second division of Eternian's defenses will fall.

It's an improved version of the machines Qada used to guard his toxin.

Not sure your turtling strategy is working well so far, Braev.

Next: More death!

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Mother and Daughter Reunited
A Daughter's Decision

Sub-Scenario:
Vampire Castle

Party Chat:
Three Passages to Central Command

D's Journal: Edea Lee posted:

We visited Edea's mother where she was receiving treatment, and she welcomed us despite knowing we accompanied the wind vestal. It seems the people of Eternia, including Edea's mother, were sustained by white magic cables linked to the Earth Crystal. Torn between her convictions and her humanity, Edea bravely pushed us to proceed with the awakening.

D's Journal: Mahzer Lee posted:

A 40-year-old woman from Eternia. She speaks kindly and openly with all, and takes part in many charitable causes. She stays out of politics, and is a good wife and mother to her family.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: IV drips, her own frailty

Soon after arriving in Eternia, we learned from an old friend of Edea that her mother was ill, and receiving treatment. We rushed to her side, and were greeted as friends of her daughter, despite her recognizing the vestal. Edea shared the details of our journey with her mother, who told us not to worry about her before leaving.

D's Journal: Vampire Castle posted:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like to think the Vampire Castle is what making everyone speak more stylishly. It's just kind of a background radiation of 'goth' that makes shadows more intense and wolves howl at dramatically appropriate moments.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

One thing I never quite got was the issue of why 'awakening' the Crystals (aka making them work properly) would somehow prevent people from siphoning magic off them.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Pureauthor posted:

One thing I never quite got was the issue of why 'awakening' the Crystals (aka making them work properly) would somehow prevent people from siphoning magic off them.

I think Awakening the crystal causes it to "use" all the energy that's been stored in it through prayers and whatnot.

The Eternians are currently busy already using that energy, so if the crystal decides to use that energy itself, well, there's nothing left for the Eternians. That's how I'm reading the situation.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

RandomMagus posted:

I think Awakening the crystal causes it to "use" all the energy that's been stored in it through prayers and whatnot.

The Eternians are currently busy already using that energy, so if the crystal decides to use that energy itself, well, there's nothing left for the Eternians. That's how I'm reading the situation.

I think this is pretty much what is intended. Awakening the Crystals means that they're using their elemental power themselves. Eternia is tapping into the dormant power, but if that power's in use, there's nothing for them to tap.

I also love the gang seeing a Vampire Castle and going "Nah, too busy" and just walking past it.

Mahzer Lee is very chill about seeing that her daughter has come to kill her husband and destroy his country's basis of prosperity.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Ahh, the Lee pun family.

Bravely, Motherly, and Ideally. :allears:

I'm looking forward to the next batch of puns. :3:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is a castle that was used by the esteemed Eternian Dr. Acula, founder of what would eventually become our country's form of modern medicine.

Neat.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

In the OP, it's recommended that you don't play this game yourself unless you're in the mood for melodrama and repetition. Does the sequel improve upon these things? I'd be interested in playing it myself if that were the case, though I haven't played the first game and don't know much about it beyond what's in the thread.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The sequel is goofier, that's for sure. But there is repetition and melodrama to be found there as well.

Honestly, I liked it more than Default in many regards, though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The sequel is goofier, that's for sure. But there is repetition and melodrama to be found there as well.

Honestly, I liked it more than Default in many regards, though.

I liked both, but I'm not opposed to melodrama and I loved the game's mechanics.

Bravely Second has a weaker soundtrack and a script that doesn't take itself as seriously. It's also considerably shorter (maybe 2/3rds as long). I actually finished Bravely Second and did all the main sidequests and such, while this game had me hit a point where I just decided to plow through and hit an ending and ignore a lot of the other content.

Bravely Second also spoils the end of this game in the first five minutes. It's a direct sequel: same world map (with new locations) and all. A lot of the same people are in it. If you want to see how far deep this rabbit hole goes, you might not want to hop into that one until you've seen how this one ends? Or just do it, if you want to.

I actually think Bravely Second stays fun longer partially because it's slightly less demanding than Bravely Default in terms of gameplay. This LP is just about getting to the part where the game is going to start demanding perfectly efficient play out of the player and slow, slogging battles with several characters permanently devoted to defense just in order to have a remote chance of survival, for pretty much every major battle for the rest of the game. I beat Bravely Second with a pretty inefficient party setup that I mostly chose for fun. That's not really doable in this game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Cirosan posted:

In the OP, it's recommended that you don't play this game yourself unless you're in the mood for melodrama and repetition. Does the sequel improve upon these things? I'd be interested in playing it myself if that were the case, though I haven't played the first game and don't know much about it beyond what's in the thread.

Fair warning that literally the very first thing that comes up (before you even get to the start menu) is a short movie that spoils the endgame plot of Default.

But as others have said, it's overall much, much sillier in tone than it's predecessor, though it still has some moments of seriousness. It also made a TON of improvements on the gameplay front to make playing it much, much smoother than Default. And the main protagonist is the biggest dork imaginable.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Ahh, the Lee pun family.

Bravely, Motherly, and Ideally. :allears:

I'm looking forward to the next batch of puns. :3:

:shepicide:
I honestly have no clue why the Ace Attorney tier names bother me so much, considering I love that series and its names.

At the moment, Eternia feels like the States (no offense, but you guys have been pretty much the Evil Empire for some decades now) and the crystals are oil. You even have healthcare being for-pay.
Although awakening the crystals can't really be slotted into this analogy.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Speaking from the inside, I'd say there are some superficial similarities, but the who, what, where, why etc. are entirely different.

That said, I don't want this to turn into a real world political discussion. There are plenty of other, more appropriate places on SA for that sort of thing. Let's keep the talk to Luxendarc.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

When you know the full plot, a lot of things make sense, but I still think this game suffers in some parts of writing. Like a lot.

But anyway.

The main character of the sequel is the best. Definitely one of my favourite characters in the series.

Regalingualius posted:

Fair warning that literally the very first thing that comes up (before you even get to the start menu) is a short movie that spoils the endgame plot of Default.

But as others have said, it's overall much, much sillier in tone than it's predecessor, though it still has some moments of seriousness. It also made a TON of improvements on the gameplay front to make playing it much, much smoother than Default. And the main protagonist is the biggest dork imaginable.

So much this.

I also liked the story more. Much better.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Well, it seems so far like Edea's mom is defined entirely by being a wife and mother, so I guess the name works for her. Good poo poo, Bravely Default. I hope we get some backstory about how badass Mama Lee was before her sickness got worse, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, either Ringabel is not Din or even Motherly hasn't seen Din's face, which I guess doesn't surprise me after this update.

Greyarc posted:

Dislikes: IV drips
I have so many questions about this. IV drips? What the heck is Eternia's medical technology? What are they using to deliver continuous infusions? Do they have plastics for tubing? Rubber hoses? Why are they using a gravity-based system when they must have a better magitek solution? Cost concerns? What are they infusing, anyway?

Does Bravely Second go deeper into the details of the healthcare system this is important

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The main character of the sequel is the best. Definitely one of my favourite characters in the series.

Same.

hey girl you up posted:

Does Bravely Second go deeper into the details of the healthcare system this is important

Nope!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

hey girl you up posted:

Also, either Ringabel is not Din or even Motherly hasn't seen Din's face, which I guess doesn't surprise me after this update.

I was going to say that Alternis would have to lift up his faceplate to enjoy his coffee, but now I’m preferring the mental image of him sipping it through a silly straw.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Alternis likes his coffee black because Dark Knight or if he actually prefers it with cream and sugar.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
It took me a while to realize that Mahzer Lee was going for Motherly. I read the pun as Miserly at first and I couldn't figure out why they were saying Edea's mom was stingy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Random fun fact: In Japanese Mahzer's name is 'Okae Lee', which is a pun on the Japanese term of 'okaeri' or 'welcome back', to show how she welcomes her daughter even after she knows she's fighting against Eternia.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

I was going to say that Alternis would have to lift up his faceplate to enjoy his coffee, but now I’m preferring the mental image of him sipping it through a silly straw.

Nah, just use the natural filter:
https://i.imgur.com/oPnHaWQ.gif

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Patter Song posted:

It took me a while to realize that Mahzer Lee was going for Motherly. I read the pun as Miserly at first and I couldn't figure out why they were saying Edea's mom was stingy.

Same here. The translators could have done a better job on that one.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

RedMagus posted:

Now I'm wondering if Alternis and Victoria ever play with their dolls together. When she's not threatening to kill him, of course.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

hey girl you up posted:

I know I've said this before, but isn't the bigger question how Edea, the childhood friend of Alternis Dim, doesn't know Ringabel? Like at all. And not just her - we've come all this way to Eternia - nobody recognised him. I mean, Mr. Dark Knight has got to take off his mask sometime, right? Yet, nobody comments on Ringabel's appearance ever.

This speculation has never made any sense.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 24, 2018

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

RedMagus posted:

His mask isn't that cool.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 70: Sugar, Spice, Hate, and Death

The party stops at Eternia City before doing the final route to Eternian Central Command.

Take a guess what the side location on the eastern road will be!

The Central Healing Tower looks eerie at night.

As should be evident by now, Eternia's healing power cables are a very recent invention. How was life beforehand? We'll get a hint shortly.

Partway through the eastern route, the road forks, with the left leading off to Central Command. So let's head right.

At the end of the road is a village. It's completely optional to visit.

Calling it a village might be an overstatement. Primarily, it holds graves. Many, many graves.

A very good question. I never knew there was such a village on the eastern passage's byway.

Mahzer, is that you!?

Huh!?

An old man approaches Edea and Tiz.

Might I have your name, young one?

Edea.

Hrmm, of course, that explains the resemblance. This is the birthplace of the Lord Marshal and his wife the Lady Mahzer.

What's this? I'd never heard of such a place before.

Why are there so many graves?

Hrmm, so you know naught of the Great Plague? Well, perhaps it is best that way.

Hrmm.

The man toddles away to the nearby cabin, leaving the party to look around.

One upside to Gravemark Village is the best view of Eternia's landscape, with Everlast Tower in the distance beyond impassable mountains.

The village's population consists of several sad old men and one mountain goat.

There's probably no need to worry about the Eternian forces tracking us here.

Says the Adventurer, who's casually followed us everywhere along our journey.

Edea can also ask the old man in front of the cabin questions.

We can even spend the night here for free, which comes in handy if you need to do some emergency grinding.

About my parents...

Though they were five years apart, they were quite close, you know.

They lived near each other and their families got along quite well. It was as if they were brother and sister.

At age eighteen, your father left to enter an elite school in the city of Eternia.

He was the great hope of the village, you know. And he did all in his power not to disappoint.

He eventually graduated at the head of his class and made a name for himself in the city. The pride and joy of our village he was.

It was twenty-one years ago when your father asked for your mother's hand in marriage -- she just nineteen and he but twenty-four.

So it was they began a new life together in the city of Eternia.

It was the following year that the Great Plague struck our village, wiping out most of the residents.

What is the Great Plague?

A sickness that began in eastern lands soon spread, wreaking havoc across the world ere it reached our land.

It struck the year after your parents were wed and moved to the city, you know.

Once the plague took root in Gravemark Village, all roads out of the village were closed.

It was on orders from the head temple of the Crystal Orthodoxy, ruler of this land at the time.

But I still believe they made the right choice. After all, the city of Eternia was spared the Great Plague's devastation.

Millions upon millions across the world lost their lives in a matter of months ere the plague subsided.

And I have been tending the graves ever since. Your parents paid us a visit upon the road's reopening, you know.

They seemed truly sorry that their home town had to be forsaken for the good of the city.

Sorry, we've got to go now.

This is currently all there is to do in Gravemark Village. There are a couple of items tucked around the gravesites as well, but nothing new.

After getting back on the road, it's a clear path to Central Command. With all three routes completed, it's time to make our entrance.

Note that if you don't kill the zombie dragon or guardian bosses, they'll disappear once you enter Central Command.

Finally, after four chapters and then some, the party has reached Eternia's Ominous Bad Guy Fortress.

I feel as if I haven't been back in ages. But it hasn't truly been so very long. They say home is where the heart is, but all I feel is...loneliness?

!?

You! You're the one who... You're the one who slew Olivia!

I bid you, Victoria, unleash your full power. Spare nothing.

I wouldn't have it any other way! The kid gloves are coming right off!

Why!? Why did you kill Olivia!?

You--!

Don't look at me like that. I mean, a crystal vestal? Ha! You're no match for me! And that goes for those fools you're with, too!

Mrgrgr! You stumpy little brat!

Stumpy little...!? D-did you hear that, Victor!?

Edea! How dare you hurl such heinous language at Victoria!

Fine, then I'll not rest until that foul-mouthed girl falls head over heels for me!

Hee hee, I'll have you know I'm in top form today. Now you'll see just how helpless you are before me!

Victoria casts a dark spell on Edea and Ringabel, making them flinch back.

Go ahead and try and escape! I'm going to toy with you like a cat before I really sink my teeth into you!

*MAGIC*

Not talking so big now, are you? Ha ha!

*MAGIC*

Aaaaaagh!

Ah ha ha ha ha ha! I grow bored with this! Better say your prayers. This ends...

*BZZZZAP*

Huh?

...Ngh...ngah-agh.

...! It's happening again!

Victoria!

Victor! I...c-can't...b-b-breathe-- Aaagh!

Alas, you have grown more unstable than I had feared! We must seek treatment at once!

Hey, wait!

Victor takes Victoria, running away into the Command Center.

Victor sure did get up those icy steps fast.

Welp. Guess we'd better follow them.

Up the stairs and inside...

Victor spoke of getting treatment. The closest place around here for that would be...the room to the right!

Central Command's interior is quite civilized. The only way open to us now is the right passage.

The halls are swarming with guards.

As in other Eternian units, there are three types.

...But they're all visually almost identical.

They also hit decently hard for trash enemies. Makes sense -- they must be the elite of the Eternian elite.

Victor's a fast sprinter, but they can't have gone that far.

Sure enough, near the entrance and to the right, the party finds an unusual room.

What? This...

Ah!

Edea gives that last line. How she'd know about this room but not the giant machine in the middle is anybody's guess.

Victor S. Court! What is the meaning of this!? Who or what exactly is that child!?

Allow me to tell you a story, if I may.

In other words, you're stalling for time -- time enough to replenish Victoria's power.

No, that is not my intention. This treatment is merely a bid to save her life. Now, about that story. In truth, it is a tale of the not too distant past.

Abandoned by physicians and all around her, she simply waited until her inevitable demise, all the while gasping in pain and despair.

But hearing her voiceless pleas, the Lord Marshal took her in his arms and brought her back to Eternia.

My father did that?

Were it not for His Lordship, her fragile life would have soon been snuffed out.

I am sure you are well aware, Edea, but science and medicine in our land have advanced greatly with the use of white magic.

I was pulled from my studies on the Earth Crystal to treat her. And yet, my treatments were still experimental...incomplete.

She survived, but ill effects linger. Side effects graver still than her original condition.

Fits like what you witnessed strike periodically, and their frequency increases with each day.

Violent turns of mood soon stripped her of any semblance of self-control.

Each time her tiny form is wracked with pain, I ask myself: knowing the result, would I still have intervened as I did?

As long as I draw breath, I will see that she does, too. No matter how she suffers, I'll not allow her to die.

She is both my crime and my redemption. My ego. My joy. I dedicate my life to her, and know no greater pleasure.

*splash*

...What nonsense.

I mean, really, Victor. That was so boring, and really long, too.

Forgive me, Victoria. How do you fare now?

Back to my old self. But I don't think I could take another one of those fits. Now, let's take care of these fools once and for all.

To think you'd just stand around twiddling your thumbs when you had a second chance to finish me.

But that just proves you're the fools I knew you were! Ah ha ha ha ha!

Victoria!

Don't blame me! You're the ones who just dug their own graves!

Next: Our heroes, defeated!?

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Eternian Central Command
The Arcanist's Onslaught
Follow that Arcanist!
Victor's Tale

Sub-Scenario:
Gravemark Village
Tales of Gravemark Village

D's Journal: Edea Lee posted:

Beyond the eastern passage from the city, we found an abandoned village littered with gravestones. An old man there who continued to tend the graves told us the village was the birthplace of Edea's parents.

D's Journal: Braev the Templar posted:

D's Journal: Braev the Templar / Mahzer Lee posted:

Near the eastern passage, we found a village littered with gravestones. We spoke to an old man who tends the graves, who said this was the village where the templar and his wife were born. The Great Plague struck soon after they left, and they apparently deeply regretted being unable to do anything to save their hometown.

D's Journal: Victoria the Arcanist posted:

As Edea stood before Eternian Central Command deep in thought, we were ambushed by Victoria and Victor. They pelted us with fierce magic, and we were on the verge of annihilation. At the last minute Victoria had another seizure, and they retreated into Central Command.

D's Journal: Victor S. Court posted:

We were ambushed by Victor and Victoria at Eternian Central Command. Victoria hurled magic of intense power, and we thought our end was near. However, she had another seizure, and they retreated into Central Command.

D's Journal: Gravemark Village posted:

...Orthodoxy forsook it during the Great Plague.

D's Journal: Eternia Central Command posted:

Eternian Central Command:
The headquarters of the Eternian Forces is accessible through three passages from the city of Eternia. It was formerly the head temple of the Orthodoxy, the religion's most sacred place, until the templar stormed it fifteen years ago.

...Command also houses the chambers of the Council of Six, the highest governing body of Eternia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Slowly we will get more hints as to why Eternia is anti-crystalist.

This is just the beginning.