Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

I wouldn't try working on my only source of residential heat in the winter for the first time without someone to help who knows what's up.

Yeah I agree, and in addition, there is the very real risk of fire even if you do know what you're doing.... Usually in a confined space you can't easily back away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

angryrobots posted:

Yeah I agree, and in addition, there is the very real risk of fire even if you do know what you're doing.... Usually in a confined space you can't easily back away from.

All good points! Just making sure it wasn't like, "unplug this component, slot this one in, done!"

Thanks everyone!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

n.. posted:

I have a Noritz gas tankless water heater (don't have the model number handy, but it's a smaller one for an 1100sf home built in 2011).

In the summer, it will regularly just cut off for 30-60 seconds in the middle of a shower or whatever and then kick back on. It never happens in the winter. I've only noticed it happening when the temp outside is above 75f or so.

What could it be? I can't really test again until the weather warms up but I'm trying to figure out how to diagnose the problem. Is the flame cutting off because it's too hot? seems unlikely when it's 75f outside but it is mounted on the southern side of my house with some sun exposure. Still seems unlikely, though.
Flow rate? Do you have enough hot water flowing in the summer time to turn on the tankless?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there a guide out there for doing concrete in a small pond? Looking to follow the curvature of the existing pond and it's not straight edges. I know I'm going to need support wiring and all, but I'm not finding a good guide on how to made concrete on curved surfaces. There's basically no way to do this with forms.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Previous owner of the house lived here for 20 years and evidently never wanted any coax cables run through the attic. When we moved in I had directv fish the wires through the walls (the coax was running down the corners in each room previously), and over the past few days I have gone through and removed all the extraneous wiring on the outside of the house. There are two long runs that still need to go across the back of the house. Is it acceptable to have the coax run above/across the top of the gutters? There was one run up there like that previously and that would be a quick fix to hide the wire. I’d like to eventually get up in the attic and run it through there but that’s not in the cards immediately.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there a guide out there for doing concrete in a small pond? Looking to follow the curvature of the existing pond and it's not straight edges. I know I'm going to need support wiring and all, but I'm not finding a good guide on how to made concrete on curved surfaces. There's basically no way to do this with forms.

Do you live somewhere that gets a real winter? Because if so you'll have to engineer for frost heave, which basically means a lot of extra digging.

Also I'm seeing quite a few step-by-step articles and videos on concrete pond building that I'm sure you saw too... If you're asking how to slap concrete over the existing pond as-is, I just don't know how well that's going to hold up.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Do you live somewhere that gets a real winter? Because if so you'll have to engineer for frost heave, which basically means a lot of extra digging.

Also I'm seeing quite a few step-by-step articles and videos on concrete pond building that I'm sure you saw too... If you're asking how to slap concrete over the existing pond as-is, I just don't know how well that's going to hold up.

Well this winter was "real". Many single digit nights (NC is where I'm at).

Basically I'm just gonna tell the wife there's no easy way to do what she wants, it's not just slapping some concrete in the pit and calling it a day

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Where can I buy washers for rigid foam insulation? My local Home Depot doesn't carry anything that looks suitable and the seller on Amazon wants over $10 shipping for 100 of the drat things.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

TheBananaKing posted:

Where can I buy washers for rigid foam insulation? My local Home Depot doesn't carry anything that looks suitable and the seller on Amazon wants over $10 shipping for 100 of the drat things.

They sell these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite-12-x-1-1-2-in-Plastic-Round-Cap-Roofing-Nails-1-lb-Pack-112PRCAP1/100118738

which worked fine for my 1" rigid foam install, but I don't think they had a longer version on the shelf.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TheBananaKing posted:

Why bother with fasteners at all? I did my whole basement with a few tubes of this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-PL300-10-fl-oz-Foamboard-VOC-Adhesive-1421941/202020476

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
This is not exactly relevant to the thread, but I figure someone here might know. Is there a name for the segmented arm design used in stuff like a Gorillapod mount? And if so, is it possible to just buy an arm like that with a screw mount on each side or something equally generic?

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

Qwijib0 posted:

They sell these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite-12-x-1-1-2-in-Plastic-Round-Cap-Roofing-Nails-1-lb-Pack-112PRCAP1/100118738

which worked fine for my 1" rigid foam install, but I don't think they had a longer version on the shelf.

Yeah I saw those at my local store but they aren't long enough... I've got 2" foam so I need something around 2.5".

eddiewalker posted:

Why bother with fasteners at all? I did my whole basement with a few tubes of this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-PL300-10-fl-oz-Foamboard-VOC-Adhesive-1421941/202020476

The fasteners are to hold the foam while the glue cures... That stuff takes like 20 minutes to set. There's no way I'm going to sit there and wait for 20 minutes as each piece gets set. Also this is going up between joists, so I'm working against gravity.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have these big 8' long flourescent lights in my garage. One bulb is burned out, and another is buzzing. I don't really want to replace them because I have to put an 8' long lightbulb in my car. And I don't even know how to throw the old ones out. Just break them?

It seems like a lot of spend to replace everything with reasonably sized fixtures. Any thoughts on using LED bulbs in these existing ones? Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM773T6/

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

TheBananaKing posted:

Yeah I saw those at my local store but they aren't long enough... I've got 2" foam so I need something around 2.5".

The fasteners are to hold the foam while the glue cures... That stuff takes like 20 minutes to set. There's no way I'm going to sit there and wait for 20 minutes as each piece gets set. Also this is going up between joists, so I'm working against gravity.

Drywall screws.

Seriously.

They don't have washers on them, but the foam doesn't weigh enough to pull the screw through. They should be more than enough to it in place until the glue cures.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

Drywall screws.

Seriously.

They don't have washers on them, but the foam doesn't weigh enough to pull the screw through. They should be more than enough to it in place until the glue cures.

Yeah this - just be gentle with your drill. Set it to '1' on the slip clutch and don't drive them "home" just "pressed against the foam". Probably one per several sqft of foam and maybe on in the middle if it sags.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I have these big 8' long flourescent lights in my garage. One bulb is burned out, and another is buzzing. I don't really want to replace them because I have to put an 8' long lightbulb in my car. And I don't even know how to throw the old ones out. Just break them?

It seems like a lot of spend to replace everything with reasonably sized fixtures. Any thoughts on using LED bulbs in these existing ones? Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM773T6/

Don't break them, they're under pressure and it makes a huge mess. Find a dumpster.

I like the LED tube replacements, and they're a lot cheaper on eBay. Just realize you'll have to rewire the fixtures, to take the ballast out of the circuit and put straight 120v across the pins of the light.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

armorer posted:

This is not exactly relevant to the thread, but I figure someone here might know. Is there a name for the segmented arm design used in stuff like a Gorillapod mount? And if so, is it possible to just buy an arm like that with a screw mount on each side or something equally generic?

I have no idea but now I'm really curious what you're building? Some sort of creepy-looking Tim Burton coat rack?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

armorer posted:

You mean an octopus style tripod? Lots of companies make those, including ones with standard camera base threads on them. I think that thread size is 1/4-20?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

kid sinister posted:

You mean an octopus style tripod? Lots of companies make those, including ones with standard camera base threads on them. I think that thread size is 1/4-20?

I just want a single arm that I can mount to plastic on one side and wood on the other.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

TheBananaKing posted:

I used these for the 2" EPS I put in the attic

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...4722531&ipos=20

Menards also had the cheapest price by far on the foam.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
We've had two over the range microwaves crap on us, so we've decided to just go with a proper hood range (we're going with Zephyr brand). But the thing is our old OTR microwaves simply plugged into an outlet located inside the top cabinet, while the range hoods we''ve been looking at all require a direct wired-in connection.

I'm guessing that it's just a matter of buying a hood range power cord, like this one? Just asking because the loca stores in our area all sell brand-specific ones for Whirlpool and such, but I can't find any for Zephyr. Are these sold as generic, one-plug-works-for-all?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 23, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

melon cat posted:

We've had two over the range microwaves crap on us, so we've decided to just go with a proper hood range (we're going with Zephyr brand). But the thing is our old OTR microwaves simply plugged into an outlet located inside the top cabinet, while the range hoods we''ve been looking at all require a direct wired-in connection.

I'm guessing that it's just a matter of buying a hood range power cord, like this one? Just asking because the loca stores in our area all sell brand-specific ones for Whirlpool and such, but I can't find any for Zephyr. Are these sold as generic, one-plug-works-for-all?

As long as your range hood says it's OK to use one. (Note the caveat on that cord you linked.) I picked a random hood as that has to be a pretty common changeout and this one at least is plug in:

https://zephyronline.com/product/siena-pro-wall/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

armorer posted:

I just want a single arm that I can mount to plastic on one side and wood on the other.

I saw this stuff in film school for long flex mounts

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/2896-Manfrotto-Flex-Arm-for-Super-Clamp

Found this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HSU_H4t96s

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 23, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

As long as your range hood says it's OK to use one. (Note the caveat on that cord you linked.) I picked a random hood as that has to be a pretty common changeout and this one at least is plug in:

https://zephyronline.com/product/siena-pro-wall/
Unfortunately I have no way of knowing if my range hood says it's okay to use one. And yeah, that cord I linked does look like it's for very specific models. And the range that you linked won't work with our under-the-cabinet setup.

There really doesn't seem to be that many hood ranges that plug into an outlet. So I'm really not sure what to do at this point- the over the range microwaves are just a gigantic pain in the rear end when they malfunction.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 23, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can you change the socket face for a fixed outlet?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

melon cat posted:

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing if my range hood says it's okay to use one. And yeah, that cord I linked does look like it's for very specific models. And the range that you linked won't work with [urlhttps://imgur.com/lmgqERF]our under-the-cabinet setup[/url].

There really doesn't seem to be that many hood ranges that plug into an outlet. So I'm really not sure what to do at this point- the over the range microwaves are just a gigantic pain in the rear end when they malfunction.

Can’t you just remove the outlet and wire the hood directly or through a junction box?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

cakesmith handyman posted:

Can you change the socket face for a fixed outlet?
Not sure what you mean by this- could you clarify for a wiring luddite like me?

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Can’t you just remove the outlet and wire the hood directly or through a junction box?
I don't know- can I? Because if I can just remove the outlet and wire the hood directly I've got no issues with doing that. I'm in no way attached to the receptacle plugs and will gladly remove their wiring if it's an option, provided that I can somehow cover up the gaping hole that it would leave behind. I'm just such a DIY noob that I didn't know that the outlet wiring would be any different than the exposed wiring that's usually used for range hoods.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 23, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

melon cat posted:

Not sure what you mean by this- could you clarify for a wiring luddite like me?

I don't know- can I? Because if I can just remove the outlet and wire the hood directly I've got no issues with doing that. I'm in no way attached to the receptacle plugs and will gladly remove their wiring if it's an option, provided that I can somehow cover up the gaping hole that it would leave behind. I'm just such a DIY noob that I didn't know that the outlet wiring would be any different than the exposed wiring that's usually used for range hoods.

Whatever your local version of this is:

https://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com/Click-Metal-Clad-13-Amp-Switched-Fused-Connection-Unit-with-Neon.htm

Replaces your current socket, then you wire the new hood directly into it, there's a punch-out for the cable to come right out the face.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Whatever your local version of this is:

https://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com/Click-Metal-Clad-13-Amp-Switched-Fused-Connection-Unit-with-Neon.htm

Replaces your current socket, then you wire the new hood directly into it, there's a punch-out for the cable to come right out the face.

What is this :supaburn: dang Brits!

Do you have to put fused switches on all hardwired devices or something? There's really no exact comparison to this in the states, closest would be a fused disconnect switch which is very unnecessary in this case (and probably illegal to install inside a cabinet).

I'll let one of the resident electricians answer the actual question... My NEC knowledge gets fuzzy with residential installations and I'm not sure what's proper as regards having exposed Romex inside that cabinet...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uh, kind of yeah, why wouldn't you want each individual appliance fused at its fault current Vs hoping the house wiring takes the load before the breaker trips?

Comedy answer: it's used to bridge ring mains together :haw:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

This is infinite overkill for my purposes, but thanks. I think I might just tear the leg off a gorrilapod.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Uh, kind of yeah, why wouldn't you want each individual appliance fused at its fault current Vs hoping the house wiring takes the load before the breaker trips?

No I get it, that's just not used here. Being at the mercy of the small gauge wire inside a device has crossed my mind, but generally speaking, our methodology of protecting circuits to the wire size seems to work pretty well.

...That being said, everything is moving to AFCI so.... :haw:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doesn't the UK also have switches on every outlet? No trust in that country

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

angryrobots posted:

Don't break them, they're under pressure and it makes a huge mess. Find a dumpster.

I like the LED tube replacements, and they're a lot cheaper on eBay. Just realize you'll have to rewire the fixtures, to take the ballast out of the circuit and put straight 120v across the pins of the light.

Do NOT just find a dumpster. Fluorescent bulbs are considered hazardous waste. Call your local/county waste department or whatever private company hauls your trash and ask them how to dispose of them.

If he/she don't want to bother with 8' long bulbs, they can just replace the fixtures with relatively inexpensive LED units. I recently bought this to replace a couple dying fluorescent fixtures in my basement:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HBT3BVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 23, 2018

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm actually in the process right now of deciding which LED utility lights to buy. I want something that can be chained with some good slack and the Amazon prices kill what you pay from a big box but they aren't UL listed or anything and I was wondering if they could be hazardous at all.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do NOT just find a dumpster. Fluorescent bulbs are considered hazardous waste. Call your local/county waste department or whatever private company hauls your trash and ask them how to dispose of them.

Oh yeah, you're right some states are very strict so watch that. At my local recycling center, they go in bulk waste (which on the handling end is all treated as HHW, apparently), or at least that's how I was directed.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Dave posted:

I'm actually in the process right now of deciding which LED utility lights to buy. I want something that can be chained with some good slack and the Amazon prices kill what you pay from a big box but they aren't UL listed or anything and I was wondering if they could be hazardous at all.

The Costco Feit fixtures are universally praised. They carry them in stores seasonally, and even went on sale last month. It was worth borrowing my MIL’s card to buy 10 at like $20.

You can get them year round online, but you have to buy in 2-packs and pay shipping.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

armorer posted:

The best I can think of is something like a flexible extension for a RAM mount, or just get a soft metal rod like aluminum.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

On mobile so no link but search for Loc-line threaded connector. Not quite what you're looking for since its built for fluid transfer but segmented, lots of different sizes and fittings, fairly cheap and expandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Whoever built my house didn't really understand how to shed water properly. Here's a simple diagram of the top of the gable walls:

Red is the roof deck. Green is a 2x4 (being used as super-cheap trim). Blue is siding. Grey is sheathing. There's no flashing, so the only thing preventing water from getting into the cracks between the various elements is paint. I let my paint go a bit too long, so now the trim's rotting in a few places. Moreover, the roof deck is only protected by end caps (no drip edge).

I want all the 2x4s torn out (total around 50-60 linear feet) and replaced, with proper flashing and caulking so the problem won't recur. I also want a drip edge on the roof deck, which means popping off the (metal) end caps, putting the drip edge in, then replacing the end caps. This is all ladder and/or scaffolding work (two-story house), and the ground on one side of the house is uneven, so I didn't want to try to do it myself, so I solicited quotes from contractors. The quotes came back as $4500, $6900 and $9400. That's an incredible spread. Any gut instincts from y'all?

Irritatingly, the $4500 quote is also from the company I'd otherwise be least-inclined to go with.