Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The happy side of this is that Seuss recanted his racism and by way of apology wrote Horton Hears a Who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Monday 22nd January, 1945

At 0730 a heavy explosion shook the room, and incidentally cleared our chimney of soot. The cook house sergeants claim that it was a FW 190 which pranged on the nearby –aerodrome.

Several lorry loads of refugees drifted through looking very pinched and depressed. This coupled with increasing air activity on the drome makes us feel that we stand a good chance of being in a ring side seat for the scrap.

Joe does not seem to be slackening he is thrusting still deeper into East Prussia & Upper Silesia. Fighting reported to be between Alleinstien & Insterburg; around Opelm on the Oder and at Thorn. Life these days is full of interest and we eagerly await the dawn of a new day, any one of which may bring our liberty.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tomn posted:

Also lol at the Japanese print of the Japanese soldier literally just buttfucking the Russian. That's a pretty direct cartoon.

The balls on that. Woe betide the goon thinking their workplace is cool with over the top propaganda.

But yeah good read and a refresher from what I knew. One of these days I'll read that book I got I swear.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

God the Boer War is hosed up.

Anybody got any recommendations for books on the Second Boer War?

My GG-Uncle was in the thick of it, it seems. Oddly, he was in the army from 95-07, then reserve until 1911, but there is no record of him in the army in WW1.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Epicurius posted:

So why don't you like Mario Sznajder?
Do you know him from somewhere, or just asking at random?

Also, no one found any flaws worth fixing?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

following your link led me to my main main Gideon Johnson Pillow

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I don't think it's reasonable to call the God Worshipping Society Communists or even pseudo-communists.

I find the cartoons and illustrations to be excellent and the narrative that accompanies them an awkward mixture of trite, flippant, and overly detailed.

edit: at the risk of having sounded overly harsh, it gets better later and seems like you aren't trying as hard to be Funny

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 22, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Clarence posted:

Pakenham's book is good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xander77 posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think it's reasonable to call the God Worshipping Society Communists or even pseudo-communists.

I find the cartoons and illustrations to be excellent and the narrative that accompanies them an awkward mixture of trite, flippant, and overly detailed.

edit: at the risk of having sounded overly harsh, it gets better later and seems like you aren't trying as hard to be Funny

I just got around to looking at it and yeah, the first third or so is basically the subtitles to a click bait article about top 10 wacky whatevers. After that you get away from trying to be funny and start getting into more informative stuff and it really evens out in a big way.

The other thing is that you need to be more consistent with how you use the pictures. You make a whole series of decisions when you choose illustrations - they don't exist in a vacuum. Why are you picking that particular image? What are you trying to say with it? What point are you trying to convey to the reader? Why are you putting them in a particular order? Obviously some of these are going to be obvious considerations for you (the order is due to the chronology you are describing) but you're more or less even with how you relate the text to the images in others. In some places the text and the images exist parallel to each other and don't really interact. You are describing events, and the picture accompanies the event, but the text never really interrogates what is going on in the image. Is this a wikipedia-style summary of events with pictures to keep us entertained (picturebook model) or are you trying to make a point about the use of propaganda and engage with the images?

The bit with the Japanese soldier butt loving the Russian one is illustrative of this. From a purely comedic standpoint it's a well enough constructed joke - "I wonder how the war pans out?" *image of anal rape* "looks like Japan won" - but if you're trying to make some point about the war or about how victory was received etc. you need a bit more. As my adviser would say "there just isn't enough there, there."

Ultimately the core weakness is that you need to figure out what you're doing. Is this pure meme comedy stuff kind of like those comics that depict WW1 as a bar fight, or are you trying to make a point about how the story of the war was told at that time through political cartoons and other propaganda? If you figure that out and hone in on that and focus on what your over-all goal is you can probably tighten it up significantly.

Also imgur is a trash place to display stuff like this. Stitch it into a .pdf or something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Clarence posted:

My GG-Uncle was in the thick of it, it seems. Oddly, he was in the army from 95-07, then reserve until 1911, but there is no record of him in the army in WW1.

I am currently reading The Boer War by Thomas Pakenham, It is a bit of a tome (500 pages plus) and slightly an oldie having been published in 1979 but it is quite solid and covers the conflict from start to finish and follows the antics of the British government, Army, Boers, DeBeers and the long suffering Africans of South Africa. I'm not sure about anything more recent though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also imgur is a trash place to display stuff like this. Stitch it into a .pdf or something.

I'm assuming he's putting it on imgur so he can share it to reddit and try and educate some people through humor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I would agree with what has already been said and say leave the comedy for captions for the more absurd moments of Imperialism and the pictures slotted into a vague order that makes sense with the history too and keep the facts more or less straight. It did get a little bit like a Cracked article at times.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Xander77 posted:

Never heard of him. Just seemed weird that, in the middle of a history of the Russo-Japanese war, you took the time to call out your old college professor. So I just wondered what he had done to get the random callout.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

GotLag posted:

Catholigators are my new favourite thing.

This cartoon takes on a whoooooole 'nother meaning in the 21st century.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dumped "communist" from "Chinese-Christian-Communist", because - yeah, that's just wrong. Toned down some of the out of the more place humor.

But this is absolutely meant to be humorously educational, so I'm not going to dump all of the jokes. And getting into the contrast between propaganda and reality would require a whole separate post, focusing on that specific aspect. I did try to occasionally combine particularly optimistic propaganda with those bits of text describing the most bitter defeats, just to suggest said contrast.

The "pro and anti-immigrant cartoons in the 19th century" post linked above is specifically about the use and history of propaganda. Here, the cartoons are really more of an illustration to the text.

Epicurius posted:

Never heard of him. Just seemed weird that, in the middle of a history of the Russo-Japanese war, you took the time to call out your old college professor. So I just wondered what he had done to get the random callout.
As far as my interest in accurate history stems from anything, it's from annoyance with that rear end in a top hat. His lectures were this close to suggesting people thought the Earth was flat until Columbus came along. I'm pretty sure he actually quoted Columbus' egg at some point.

Edit - and I suppose the imgur post was constructed to emulate those history lectures I do enjoy.

Tomn posted:

Catholic priests were definitely not known primarily for harassing little children before the 21st century.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 22, 2018

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Tomn posted:

:golfclap:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So far from what I read anyway, Buller seems to have hosed up the least. I mean yeah he was over promoted but the stuff he got blamed for sort of was out of his control one way or another. His peers and bosses did much much worse.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

Ironically I'm glad to live in this time. I'm learning a lot of things about Fascism and heck, I'm never bored any more.

Hey, how often do you get a chance to LARP 1933?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Hey, how often do you get a chance to LARP 1933?
i put on my robe and grand wizard hat

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I have a few political cartoons collections up on imgur. This one might be relevant:
https://imgur.com/gallery/4MBZJ

I see one of the cartoons excerpts Bret Harte's "Plain Language from Truthful James," better known as "The Heathen Chinee." The poem became a sort of rallying cry for the anti-Chinese immigration movement, which is ironic since its text satirizes the hypocrisy and racism of the narrator and his companion.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

i put on my robe and grand wizard hat

:holymoley:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

On a different subject, I'm going to Chicago at the end of February. Besides the museum with U-505 in it, are there any military-related exhibits I should check out?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

On a different subject, I'm going to Chicago at the end of February. Besides the museum with U-505 in it, are there any military-related exhibits I should check out?

http://www.pritzkermilitary.org/

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

We continue with more Navy Rockets, this time covering the 4.5-inch and 5-inch rockets. Why did some rockets use 4 nozzles for the propelling gases over 8? What modifications were made to the venturi nozzles on slower rockets? How many inches could a 5-inch AR rocket penetrate, under normal circumstances? All that and more at the blog!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Mercenaries and their Masters posted:

But beside the practical tradition of the tournament had grown up the more courtly tradition of the joust and the chivalric spectacle like the battles of the castelli d'armore. Not that the joust fought with blunted weapons did not continue to serve a practical purpose, and the best jousters in the fifteenth century were all drawn from the ranks of the professional soldiers. But it was in the joust that the formalised skills of the knight could be displayed by men who were knights only in name, and merchants, lawyers, and courtiers in practice.

What I'm getting from this is that ren faire tournaments are 100% accurate, right down to the overweight middle-aged white-collar dude in a gigantic shell of armor who doesn't know poo poo mopping his brow and talking about how hardcore he is and how real knights acted (like he does).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

What I'm getting from this is that ren faire tournaments are 100% accurate, right down to the overweight middle-aged white-collar dude in a gigantic shell of armor who doesn't know poo poo mopping his brow and talking about how hardcore he is and how real knights acted (like he does).
the late medieval court of Burgundy LARPed

they'd set up day-long scenarios

it ruled

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeanBeansShako posted:

So far from what I read anyway, Buller seems to have hosed up the least. I mean yeah he was over promoted but the stuff he got blamed for sort of was out of his control one way or another. His peers and bosses did much much worse.

Did you ever find that picture of the pre-motor motorized attack pew

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GUNS posted:

it ruled

LARP rules in general, my last character was just me trying to emulate Pappenheim

I got myself and everyone I was leading killed in an ill-advised charge against a bunch of orcs. poo poo owns

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HEY GUNS posted:

it ruled

Tell me more.

I must know more.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

So hey, here's a question: Was pre-battle champion dueling ever a common thing in Europe? If so, around when did it stop?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Single combat between champions comes up in tons of stories in Europe from antiquity through the early Middle ages in works like The Illiad and The Song of Roland. The Romans in particular have tons of stories about generals who distinguished themselves by killing the enemy commander in single combat, and stripping the armor off a defeated enemy champion and was basically the most prestigious honor a commander could get aside from a Triumph. Even though many of these stories are semi-legendary/mythic, it pops up so much that I tend to believe it's based in some nugget of truth.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Dumped "communist" from "Chinese-Christian-Communist", because - yeah, that's just wrong. Toned down some of the out of the more place humor.

But this is absolutely meant to be humorously educational, so I'm not going to dump all of the jokes. And getting into the contrast between propaganda and reality would require a whole separate post, focusing on that specific aspect. I did try to occasionally combine particularly optimistic propaganda with those bits of text describing the most bitter defeats, just to suggest said contrast.

The humor's fine if that's what you are going for, I'd just focus on actually making some good jokes rather than trying to epitomize Reddit's sense of humor.

I think you could cut a bunch of images to fit your narrative as well. I actually don't think that you need to describe the China situation with as much background as you do. Spend an image or two describing Japan's rise, an image or two talking about the Great Game and balancing between the English and Russia, and the Japanese desire to exert influence over colonies as part of the program of Westernization/Imperialization. There you've provided enough context without having to talk about the Taiping or the structural causes of Chinese weakness. None of that actually matters for what you are trying to accomplish.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I wouldn't call the Taiping capital-C Marxist Communists, but they did live communally for the early phase of the movement and western visitors reported an economy operating without private property. By the time Hong Rengan is in charge the platform becomes much more like western liberalism but there's still the land reform proposals which are extremely small c communist in that they want to set up a system of twenty five family communes working land collectively and handing excess production to the state.

In my opinion downplaying their communism is like the CCP downplaying their Christianity, you can make the argument in both cases that it wasn't the "real thing", but it was still an important part of the ideology.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Need some warm takes assessed:

When it comes to early modern history, how's Paul Krugman doing?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

First year undergraduate tbh.

'Not incidentally, France repeatedly defaulted on its debt, while post-1688 England, its king effectively constrained by Parliament, never did.' Why would Parliament not quite happily default on debt if need be? Argentina was a democracy in 2001 and it was quite happy to do this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998%E2%80%932002_Argentine_great_depression#Debt_default

It's pretty sophomoric to be 'democracy therefore no defaults therefore France loses and has a revolution and Britain wins All The Things'. Pre-1689 Britain wasn't in the habit of defaulting on bankers' loans either, to be honest, there was one such event in 1672 and it was pretty scandalous.

The invention of the National Debt, yes, probably a good and important financial innovation - but I don't see why it needs Parliament to work.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Tuesday 23rd, January 1945

Constant stream of refugees passing the camp the whole day utilising every possible four wheel conveyance, sledges also. A very depressing sight. Turned over to full parcels for two weeks . Bread and spud supplies temporarily suspended. Bread sit due to bakery being evacuated in Breslau.

Sat for Inter RSA French today. Quite satisfactory.

Received a letter from Pat today, dated Oct 6th. Hooray.

Russians moving towards Posen - no lack of drive.

Lots of talk of ‘Victory’ cake and the like. This period of waiting is tantalising. God it will be depressing if it peters out like the west. It doesn’t bear thinking about.

Ed (Canadian) just recovering from his bout of flue - he must be well he is talking about food.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

The usual reading is pretty much the other way round: France had a smaller deficit to gdp ratio than Britain, but it had very limited taxation ability, because of the power of the nobility. This meant that government finances were shakier, which was why interest rates were higher. Obviously British governments also have access to more developed financial institutions post 1688, but it's hard to argue that William III made the Parliament more powerful.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Paul Krugman the economist is a very sharp guy who justly deserved his Nobel.

Paul Krugman the opinion columnist is someone so dumb and wrong about virtually everything he makes Thomas Friedman look like a Nobel prize winner.

It's also awesome when the latter Paul Krugman disagrees with the former Paul Krugman.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did you ever find that picture of the pre-motor motorized attack pew

It's not in my IMGUR account so I guess I used some other image service and we've lost it forever. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If I recall correctly, the nominally democratic French Directory tried defaulting on the national debt, but then the more dictatorial Napoleon came around and honored the debt. France's money troubles compared to Britain had way more to do with the fact that Britain was rolling in prosperity while France kept having expensive troubles and losses than their respective government types, although France's archaic tax system and a certain crooked accountant certainly helped things along.

Trump's habit of lying and likeliness to lead the US into a default has less to do with him attempting to be a dictator than it does with the fact that he's based literally his whole career on this kind of poo poo (literally, the lying, changing the deal at the last second, defaulting, racism). It does make me wonder if there's any good stories of totalitarian strongman dictators going through the stages of dementia though.