Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
My favorite thing in Saints Row 2 is that it had a gender AND sex slider, making it the first game (that I know of) that effectively lets you play as a non-cis character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

EmmyOk posted:

That owns

You may think that's a special cutscene but no, Horizon is that gorgeous and detailed all the time. It was the first game I played on my Ps4 and it amazed me every single time I booted it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MizPiz posted:

My favorite thing in Saints Row 2 is that it had a gender AND sex slider, making it the first game (that I know of) that effectively lets you play as a non-cis character.

Doesn't the sex slider just affect the size of your dong or boobs?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's the sex appeal slider in SR3. In SR2 it has a slightly more subtle effect on the character - curving around the hips, softness of the face and so on, but didn't alter breasts or anything.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Doesn't the sex slider just affect the size of your dong or boobs?

I don't think so because I specifically remember making a character with a big dong and big tits and being mad that I couldn't do the same in The Third

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
More games need to let you play as Bailey Jay.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

MizPiz posted:

I've said this before multiple times, in this thread even but godamn games, if you're gonna let me play pretty-princess dress-up, just let me do whatever the gently caress with my character. Let me pick the gender irrespective of which model and voice I choose. Let me put make-up on guys. Make all clothes available to all genders. If I want to play as a 7ft tall drag-marine, or a short fat woman with a deep Cockney gangster voice, that's my business.

Saints Row 2 is too good for this world.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Jan 22, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Well heck, I stand corrected.

And really more games should allow you to have both giant dong and tits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Who What Now posted:

To my understanding there are very popular Japanese games which are all about this!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

More games need to let you play with Bailey Jay.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

To my understanding there are very popular Japanese games which are all about this!

Then lemme rephrase. More good games should let you do that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The first time I ever questioned my culture's ridiculous views regarding the female body was when I was customizing my first SR2 character. I adjusted the Body Type slider from '0' to '-1' and despite the change being so minuscule that the two were effectively identical, this caused a bra to appear on my character. I wonder if the ESRB had anything to say about that. DO they have an opinion on exactly where on the slider nipples go from SFW to NSFW?

Ariong has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Jan 22, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ariong posted:

The first time I ever questioned my culture's ridiculous views regarding the female body was when I was customizing my first SR2 character. I adjusted the Body Type slider from '0' to '1' and despite the change being so minuscule that the two were effectively identical, this caused a bra to appear on my character. I wonder if the ESRB had anything to say about that. DO they have an opinion on exactly where on the slider nipples go from SFW to NSFW?

For good or ill "can be it be considered a lady's nipples: NSFW. Is it Mario's nipples? Kids are fine with it."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like it when games, instead of asking your gender, ask "what do you look like?" while showing a picture of a masculine and feminine person. It's a small little thing that most people wouldn't really notice, but it's an inclusionary touch that some people appreciate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Speaking of boob sliders, I reinstalled the MMO Neverwinter the weekend before last and discovered that female characters weren't allowed to take the boob slider below 50%.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I play games to escape my everyday life.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Who What Now posted:

Then lemme rephrase. More good games should let you do that.

Let me tell you about a place called the 'slab and the mods they make for video games.

Anyway, I've been replaying the Digital Devil Saga games because I've been on a real SMT fix lately and the first game takes place in a weird fictional world called the Junkyard where groups of anime people are constantly at war with one another. When a girl with black hair shows up everyone is weirded out because they've literally never seen someone without bright cartoonish hair colors before. The protagonist of the previous SMT game, the Demi-Fiend shows up as a very hard optional boss as well and the game plays the regular battle music from that game when you fight him. He's only vulnerable to three types of damage; Gun, Almighty and Earth. You can never be immune to Almighty damage and in Nocturne Earth and Gun skills didn't exist.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was doing a mission in XCOM 2 and it was going badly and I was about ready to call it a wash and then I skulljacked a Codex and summoned an avatar. At this point I was ready to write off like four of my soldiers as dead because this is going loving terrible now, I move my Ranger up close, have them double tap it and on the first shot the Repeater kicks in and instant kills it. :stare:

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Nuebot posted:

Let me tell you about a place called the 'slab and the mods they make for video games.

Anyway, I've been replaying the Digital Devil Saga games because I've been on a real SMT fix lately and the first game takes place in a weird fictional world called the Junkyard where groups of anime people are constantly at war with one another. When a girl with black hair shows up everyone is weirded out because they've literally never seen someone without bright cartoonish hair colors before. The protagonist of the previous SMT game, the Demi-Fiend shows up as a very hard optional boss as well and the game plays the regular battle music from that game when you fight him. He's only vulnerable to three types of damage; Gun, Almighty and Earth. You can never be immune to Almighty damage and in Nocturne Earth and Gun skills didn't exist.

I love the fact that it plays the random battle music from his game. To you he is the game's hardest boss, but the music implies that to him your gaggle of devils are just another random encounter.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Speaking of boob sliders, I reinstalled the MMO Neverwinter the weekend before last and discovered that female characters weren't allowed to take the boob slider below 50%.

Sounds like a hasty anti-paedophilia measure to me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What can men do with the boob slider

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I was doing a mission in XCOM 2 and it was going badly and I was about ready to call it a wash and then I skulljacked a Codex and summoned an avatar. At this point I was ready to write off like four of my soldiers as dead because this is going loving terrible now, I move my Ranger up close, have them double tap it and on the first shot the Repeater kicks in and instant kills it. :stare:

I had the exact opposite experience. Mission was going great, I skulljacked a codex to try and bring the Avatar project bar down a bit and then WHAM here comes Sephiroth and I have 4 turns left. I restarted the mission when my best sniper got mindjacked into killing my best ranger.

:xcom:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

You could momentarily move it lower, but as soon as you would let go of the mouse button it would snap back to the middle and puberty would hit the avatar like a ton of bricks in a single instant.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What can men do with the boob slider

Bigger pecs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Glukeose posted:

I had the exact opposite experience. Mission was going great, I skulljacked a codex to try and bring the Avatar project bar down a bit and then WHAM here comes Sephiroth and I have 4 turns left. I restarted the mission when my best sniper got mindjacked into killing my best ranger.

:xcom:

Well don't feel too great for me. I didn't know that would summon an Avatar and was just doing what the game told me to get missions cleared off. I lost a really good Sharpshooter because that whole ordeal had me dealing with 2 Codexes, 2 turrets, a Muton and some variety of trooper. Probably an Officer and and normal one.

THEN once I muddle through that I have to get through the rest of the actual mission and I run into a Sectopod and 2 Mutons. And then even more enemies. It was that mission where you're getting the body out of the stasis chamber. Like the one in the intro where they're getting the Commander out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

maou shoujo posted:

I love the fact that it plays the random battle music from his game. To you he is the game's hardest boss, but the music implies that to him your gaggle of devils are just another random encounter.

Well, yeah. Because he's cheating with that maskados magtama :argh: If I could bring my sweet null all skills in he'd be chumped no problem.

RareAcumen posted:

XCOM-2 is pretty fun just in terms of how ridiculous you can get. I had one guy who could just run accross the whole map and shoot dudes like four times twice a turn. Too bad the game its self crashed frequently.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Somfin posted:

I like how in Xenoblade Chronicles X, ok they made the 13 year old girl's swimsuit cover more skin then in the Japanese version right? Well Nintendo seemed to have some forethought and removed the bust slider from character customization because they knew the same people who would flip poo poo about 13 year old cleavage would make their character flat chested.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Playing Metal Gear Solid 5 right now. When it starts to rain, guards at the outposts will run to the tents and stand in the doorway until it stops.

Being able to mark several different points on the map is nice. It saves having to reopen it a bunch of times.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ego-bot posted:

Playing Metal Gear Solid 5 right now. When it starts to rain, guards at the outposts will run to the tents and stand in the doorway until it stops.

Being able to mark several different points on the map is nice. It saves having to reopen it a bunch of times.

I think if you knock a dude out and he falls into a puddle he can drown.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Holy poo poo, I just finished Evil Within 2- what a great game full of odd little touches.

The collectibles that reference other Bethesda published games like Fallout, Skyrim, and Doom, which is represented by the same little Doom Guy figure with music from NuDoom.

Sebastian shouting "DISAPPOINTED!" when he does a bad job in the shooting range (in reference to this infamous Hercules clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djlc6uHTVmY) and how your bad rank will be called "Get Your poo poo Together," or when he and Tatiana reference Joe Esposito's You're the Best Around when you've been kicking rear end, or how, when you've finished out the shooting gallery, Sebastian sarcastically says, "I should probably get back to that whole trying-to-rescue-my-daughter thing."

Also the ghost lady who hums a terrifying rendition of Claire de Lune, the safe room theme, whenever she's near. On the PS4 her voice came through the controller speaker. :ghost:

If you haven't played EW2 and you like horror, I highly recommend it. I felt like it was a massive improvement on the first one across the board and stayed fun, wild, and unpredictable until the very end.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I keep seeing how EW2 is great and THAT'S great. I hated the first one and I love horror and stealth games.

gently caress, I'm gonna have to get it next sale.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy is almost impossibly personal- the quiet, reassuring but also paternal narrator is lovely and the game knows, almost perfectly, what to say to get just a little bit under your skin while also reminding you that not only is each setback expected, it's expected enough that there's a whole system dedicated to making the setbacks rewarding. I think my favourite line is "You've done this before, just do what you did the first time" when you get stuck on something that you've already cleared - I was stuck for like fifteen minutes on the vertical cave with two lamps when I heard that, and it made me laughing-angry enough to push through. Still had to get through that section about a dozen more times due to later fuckups but every time I got better at it.

It took me seven loving hours to get through that game. It's a game that's been speedrun in under two minutes, and I've seen that speedrun and it's only skipping one section of any real substance- at that pace it'd be like, another fifteen seconds with that section included. I don't regret a single hour of it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know I missed the SR chat by a day or so, but I just want to say that I never played SR1, and I've never liked Johnny Gat (mostly because in SR2 he comes off as "And the character you know from the previous game, so we won't say anything about him"). So my favorite thing in Gat out of Hell is that you can play the entire game as Kinzie. Because gently caress playing as Gat.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I never played SR1 either, but I loved Gat in SR2. After all, he’s there. That may not sound like much, but you’re starting from nothing. Every other member of your gang has moved on. Nobody else believes in you. You show up literally having just broken out of prison, and what does Gat say? “Where do we start?” That’s a guy you can count on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randalor posted:

I know I missed the SR chat by a day or so, but I just want to say that I never played SR1, and I've never liked Johnny Gat (mostly because in SR2 he comes off as "And the character you know from the previous game, so we won't say anything about him"). So my favorite thing in Gat out of Hell is that you can play the entire game as Kinzie. Because gently caress playing as Gat.

Until the end, when you're forced to play as Gat anyway because gently caress you. Although Kinzie does fire shots at GTA, commenting that at least in this series you can play as a woman.

Not much of an improvement, though, I loathe Kinzie almost as much as I do Johnny Gat.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Werong Bustope posted:

I've said this before multiple times, in this thread even but godamn games, if you're gonna let me play pretty-princess dress-up, just let me do whatever the gently caress with my character. Let me pick the gender irrespective of which model and voice I choose. Let me put make-up on guys. Make all clothes available to all genders. If I want to play as a 7ft tall drag-marine, or a short fat woman with a deep Cockney gangster voice, that's my business.

Saints Row 2 is too good for this world.

Playing as a muscley woman covered in tattoos, scary eyeliner and spiky bracelets with a skinhead and doc martens, wearing the prettiest pink dress was great.

Also the same but making it look like a wedding dress was also amazing.

Also the same but as a man.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Cythereal posted:

Until the end, when you're forced to play as Gat anyway because gently caress you. Although Kinzie does fire shots at GTA, commenting that at least in this series you can play as a woman.

Not much of an improvement, though, I loathe Kinzie almost as much as I do Johnny Gat.

I really don’t remember being forced to play as Gat, but it’s been a while since I played it. I remember having to play as him for one of the collectibles.

The musical number right in the middle of the game took me by complete surprise, and I must have watched it a half dozen times on youtube since. The cutscenes in the game are probably some of the best in the series.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The musical number was the best part of that DLC and they completely spoiled it by releasing it as a trailer before the DLC came out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kinzie is the worst and I hate that each game gives her a successively bigger role.

Gat’s alright but I never liked him as much as the games seem to expect me to.

My main character gripe is that I wish the Belgian guy in 3 had a bigger role, that bit in the beginning when Johnny dismissively claims never to have heard of him and he confidently replies “evidently not, or you would not have robbed my bank” was a really good moment.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Kinzie is just Gat with the wacky random violence and handwaving plot with psychopathy replaced by wacky random sex and handwaving plot with technobabble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Saints Row series has always been decent for villains but your so called allies are mostly just boring filler.

Like 3 had some of the absolute weakest and dullest people working with you ever and Shaundi might as well have been a snatcher for how similar she was to 2.

They are really never gonna top the Brotherhood for enemies you really, really wanted to do bad to