Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The point is, I doubt any TV manufacturer is designing their TVs with the streaming of ripped UHD disc content in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Sphyre posted:

The inbuilt LG DLNA video player, the WebOS plex client is pretty bad :v:

I noticed this too, doesn't even support HDR, built in player does. Pretty pathetic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not sure if I’ve mentioned it in here, but I have the Plex thread, but there’s a good 3rd party client called Xplay on the LG Store that works well for me. Week long free trial then like $9. Does 4K HDR fine, and gives you an alert in the movie screen if you’ve chosen a video or audio track that’ll get transcoded. Can’t do PSG without ttranscoding, but not sure if anything Plex based can?

The only other downside is no way of getting those HD Audio tracks out of the TV.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oops.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 21, 2018

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Nobody explained that replacing my 2010 Samsung would make me twice as good at video games. I think my input lag dropped from near 200 to 22ms—I was getting absolutely worked in older CRT-era games

After some research, it looks like the issue I have where my PS4 Pro absolutely will not handshake with the LG OLED with HDMI enabled is common:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/06/25/ps4-pro-troubleshooting-how-to-display-4k-hdr-on-an-lg-tv/amp/

My question is, will downgrading to HDMI 1.6 negatively affect anything else? Research says it can’t pass 4K/60 at that bitrate, but I don’t know if anything runs at that on console anyways

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Maybe some indie games. PS4 Pro barely has the oomph to run some games at some semblance of 4K, certainly not 60fps.

QUESTION TO X900E LOVERS! Where's the best place to get a cheap one right now? I have a friend wanting to buy one, probably a 65".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

All the normal retailers are at the same black friday pricing right now. If you want more on that, you are probably going to have to reach out to to smaller stores and see what they will do on pricing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sams club near me has a LG OLED 65B6P marked down to 1700 dollars. Wasn’t looking to upgrade my TV, but is this deal crazy good or should I pass and wait a while longer. TV’s keep getting less expensive every day it seems

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That's a good price.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

skipdogg posted:

Sams club near me has a LG OLED 65B6P marked down to 1700 dollars. Wasn’t looking to upgrade my TV, but is this deal crazy good or should I pass and wait a while longer. TV’s keep getting less expensive every day it seems

The model is 2 generations old now. Thats why its inexpensive.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There's also not a huge difference between LG's 2016 and 2017 OLEDs so if the price is good enough, and I reckon this one is, no harm in buying.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Dogen posted:

QUESTION TO X900E LOVERS! Where's the best place to get a cheap one right now? I have a friend wanting to buy one, probably a 65".

My suggestion would be to watch the cashback websites like befrugal/etc. The prices on the 55" 900E have been $999 basically everywhere for ~4-5 months so that was the only way I was able to get an additional discount off on mine. I bought mine from Dell specifically because they seem to have the highest cashback percentages on those websites from time to time, when I purchased mine around black friday it was 21% cashback through befrugal. So $999+tax = ~$1050 - 23%(2% from credit card, 21% from the cashback site) = ~$800 TV.

Not sure how often their cashback offers shoot up to 20% but I see it hover around 6%-8%-12% type discounts fairly often and you have to think about the fact that it takes a month or two to get your money back and figure out if its really worth it to you. In you're case if you're looking at the 65" options, even the lower percentage values would net you a nice discount because the TV itself is so much more expensive.

Shouldn't newer models be coming out fairly soon? Maybe they'll get a nice discount when that happens.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Don Lapre posted:

The model is 2 generations old now. Thats why its inexpensive.

Yeah, I realize that, but still a 65" OLED for 1700 bucks seemed like a good deal. The B7 is 2500 at Costco right now

I'm going to pass right now. I have a 8 year old 55" Vizio that still works well, and if I upgrade the TV to 4K I'll want to upgrade everything else and I don't want to spend the money on that right now. The demo screen had serious serious burn in as well. I realize it's been on 24/7 for close to 2 years, but not sure how I feel about having to worry about that.

I have been keeping an eye out for deals on a Vizio P65 or P70, but it seems the Sony sets are the hot ticket right now. Time for some research I guess. Vizio has been good to me though. I still have a VU42 in my bedroom that's at least 10 years old.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
SO I got a slightly older (2013) tv that only has digital audio output (coaxial), no headphone jack or 3.5mm hookups. What speakers can I hook up to this thing? I've literally never had a flatscreen/HDMI tv before, so the whole thing is brand new to me. Just basically want to know what I can hook up for speakers and what to look for when buying them RE connectors.

Edit: looking for the cheapest stuff!

Pb and Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 22, 2018

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, I realize that, but still a 65" OLED for 1700 bucks seemed like a good deal. The B7 is 2500 at Costco right now

I'm going to pass right now. I have a 8 year old 55" Vizio that still works well, and if I upgrade the TV to 4K I'll want to upgrade everything else and I don't want to spend the money on that right now. The demo screen had serious serious burn in as well. I realize it's been on 24/7 for close to 2 years, but not sure how I feel about having to worry about that.

I have been keeping an eye out for deals on a Vizio P65 or P70, but it seems the Sony sets are the hot ticket right now. Time for some research I guess. Vizio has been good to me though. I still have a VU42 in my bedroom that's at least 10 years old.

I’m not sure what research is left. Any of those other TVs are 4K as well. It sounds like you just don’t want an oled because that’s a good price.

My 6P has 0 hints of burn in with a ton of real world usage across movies, tv and video games.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If I got a new OLED, would I need/want to get a new receiver too? I have a pioneer from 2008. Would probably need a UHD Blu-ray player?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

100% Dundee posted:

My suggestion would be to watch the cashback websites like befrugal/etc. The prices on the 55" 900E have been $999 basically everywhere for ~4-5 months so that was the only way I was able to get an additional discount off on mine. I bought mine from Dell specifically because they seem to have the highest cashback percentages on those websites from time to time, when I purchased mine around black friday it was 21% cashback through befrugal. So $999+tax = ~$1050 - 23%(2% from credit card, 21% from the cashback site) = ~$800 TV.

Not sure how often their cashback offers shoot up to 20% but I see it hover around 6%-8%-12% type discounts fairly often and you have to think about the fact that it takes a month or two to get your money back and figure out if its really worth it to you. In you're case if you're looking at the 65" options, even the lower percentage values would net you a nice discount because the TV itself is so much more expensive.

Shouldn't newer models be coming out fairly soon? Maybe they'll get a nice discount when that happens.

My friend works for Dell- I wonder if he can get a discount or something. I think he wants to get it before the Olympics start for his wife.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I have an LG B7 55 inch tv. Is it worth it to get an UltraHD player? If so which one is recommended? Is it ok to just get an Xbox One S?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I have an LG B7 55 inch tv. Is it worth it to get an UltraHD player? If so which one is recommended? Is it ok to just get an Xbox One S?

1) Absolutely
2) People say it's ok, I have the Philips 7501 which I've had 0 problems with. I don't think the Xbox supports DV though, which your tv does? Philips is now making a 7502 which says DV ready, which I assume means there will be a firmware update, and it's still reasonably cheap.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I find my Xbox One S is a little picky about discs, and you really need to get a remote control or you'll get cheesed off with the controller. If you want a console as well, get it. If not, get a standalone.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 22, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A whole slew of new players were announced at CES, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to wait a month or two for them to hit market.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buydig has the 65" c7p for $2050, gotta call in and ask for the deal.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

A whole slew of new players were announced at CES, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to wait a month or two for them to hit market.

This is my plan. Need that DV (or at least ready)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking into replacing my X850E since I'm not really that impressed with it's HDR performance and there's two TVs I'm closely considering:

Sony 55X930E - 1450 Euro
LG 55B7V - 1590 Euro

I'm wondering if the higher price on the OLED is worth it as I'd already be on the high end of what I'd like to spend with the Sony. Mainly looking for HDR performance in both, movies and videogames.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yes, oled is worth it

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Image retention is a concern with that OLED set and video games

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I picked up the 75" x900e with a HTNT5 sound bar this weekend since BB was running a sale on the TV ($2500) and bar ($600) and you got another $200 off the bar if you bought it with a TV. Shame I have to wait 3 weeks to enjoy it, but I'm happy to have it settled at least.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks I will wait for a UHD player with Dolby Vision support.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
What's the best looking picture out of the low-end 43" sets? Should I care about 4k/HDR at that size? Any reason to wait to purchase? Gaming won't be a thing since it's just a bedroom TV. Smart features are also irrelevant to me since I'm gonna need a FireTV to run Kodi on it anyway.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CubanMissile posted:

What's the best looking picture out of the low-end 43" sets? Should I care about 4k/HDR at that size? Any reason to wait to purchase? Gaming won't be a thing since it's just a bedroom TV. Smart features are also irrelevant to me since I'm gonna need a FireTV to run Kodi on it anyway.

You won't find anything that reaches the full HDR spec at that size, however some of the sets will at least accept a 4K HDR signal and make an attempt at presenting it. The Sony XBR43X800E would probably be my purchase for best looking picture, though the LG 43UJ6300 and Samsung UN43MU6300 have very similar specs at significantly lower prices. So consider price, what you think of the remotes / smart OSes, etc.

Zylon
Sep 21, 2003
I'm in the market for a new TV for gaming/random TV watching. 55" with a budget of around $2000 post tax. Obviously, i don't need to hit that threshold but I'm wiffle-waffling between LED/OLED. Any advice/recommendations is appreciated!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
LG B7 is the best 55 inch TV you can buy with your budget so this seems like a pretty easy choice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

For 2k you can almost get a 65" oled. Buddy got one (65" c7p) for $2050 a few days ago from buydig call in order.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Any x900e owners with a PS4 Pro - don't update to the new firmware! Everything was working fine for me, but after updating last night, whenever I fire up an HDR game (Shadow of War in my case), the TV freaks out and gives me the blinking red LED. Unplugging the TV and plugging it back in (and not turning offPS4) and everything works fine. This did not occur prior to the update.

But, hey, now I have Google Assistant on there that I'll never use.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zylon posted:

I'm in the market for a new TV for gaming/random TV watching. 55" with a budget of around $2000 post tax. Obviously, i don't need to hit that threshold but I'm wiffle-waffling between LED/OLED. Any advice/recommendations is appreciated!

If you're not aching to spend $2K and want a great 55" TV. The TCL 55P607 for $650 should scratch your itch.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55P607-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516820757&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=roku+p607

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

There are also a bunch of TCLs on sale today, though from the reviews it seems like quality control may be an issue and the manufacturer warranty aint worth much: https://deals.kinja.com/amazons-blowing-out-tcls-excellent-2017-4k-tvs-1822407674

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 25, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had one in a watchlist and it only dropped by 5%. Not enough to make me pull the trigger in a tight month.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

Any reason you want to upgrade?

This 49" S405 TCL Roku TV is good and well under your budget:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-49S405-4...11%7C1232882011

There's a 55" that will but up against your budget but Amazon doesn't have it in stock at the moment.

this is kind of a necro, but the 55" version is on sale for $370 today so i pulled the trigger.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Careful Drums posted:

this is kind of a necro, but the 55" version is on sale for $370 today so i pulled the trigger.

Goddamn and I was *JUST* talking to my wife last night about how I was about to upgrade all of our bedroom TVs to Roku TVs. Instead I bought a $20 Harmony 650 and put our old Roku on it. Figured I'd upgrade later.

But now this is making me want to pull the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
What's the difference between the S405 and the P605/7 that is normally recommended?