Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

John F Bennett posted:

Makes sense, though? Why would you ally with a lesser power? Who does that?

Same reason I Ally with city states. They are a great defensive buffers during war.

If I could pay an ally to build more troops and fight on my behalf that would be perfect. Outside of war I'd be willing to give science and culture to that ally so they could better effectively threaten my neighbors.

It would be a great way to avoid war weariness penalties without being a total pacifist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Presumably they're aware of the Joint War bullshit and it'll be fixed in the expansion patch, because otherwise there's really very little point to expanding on diplomacy options.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So the only reason to ally with shmucks is to give them gifts out of the goodness of your heart, because most of these supposed "benefits" are actually drawbacks (can't convert cities, meanwhile you bleed tech boosts/science/culture/tourism/GPP to them).

How is it a drawback? Outside of Great Persons, you're not actually losing anything. Giving a tech boost to a civ that's not going to out-tech you isn't hurting you in any way, and you get science and tech boosts as well. Religious alliances are obviously a hurdle if you're going for a religious victory, but you can benefit from investing in a religion while going for other victories.

Unless you're consistently an era ahead of every other civ, there's going to be someone with whom it makes sense to buddy up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Presumably they're aware of the Joint War bullshit and it'll be fixed in the expansion patch, because otherwise there's really very little point to expanding on diplomacy options.

I haven't noticed any Joint Wars being declared on the players in the preview videos that are going out, which is promising though hardly a guarantee of anything. I think quill got offered one in a Trade, and there is now a warmonger pop-up for Joint Wars.

Several new Great People have been spotted though, utilizing the new mechanics like Culture Bomb and Government Titles. Which is good, because running dry on Great People feels bad.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What's the beef with joint wars anyway? I actually thought it was kind of cool that since I had a superior military, the AI consistently brought a friend or two with them to fight.

Not that it matters because the AI is so atrocious at fighting wars, but it had the potential to even the playing field and allowed the AI to at least pillage a bunch of stuff in a two-front war.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What's the beef with joint wars anyway? I actually thought it was kind of cool that since I had a superior military, the AI consistently brought a friend or two with them to fight.

Not that it matters because the AI is so atrocious at fighting wars, but it had the potential to even the playing field and allowed the AI to at least pillage a bunch of stuff in a two-front war.

Joint Wars aren't bad as a concept, but the AI doesn't seem to properly weigh relationships and warmonger penalties when declaring them. I get a lot more inexplicable Joint Wars than any other kind of war. I'm just hoping it's a thing they've fixed in Rise and Fall.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the AI seems like it doesn't consider the same factors when it declares joint wars as it does every other type. Might be due to it being a trade option, unlike the others; rather than a war, it just sees them as a good deal. Then it gets wrecked because it wasn't actually prepared for war and might not have really wanted it even.

But yeah, it's been such a prominent problem that I really hope they decided to fix it finally.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Well, from a player's point of view, they bypass the Casus Belli system and always count as formal wars, which makes absolutely no sense and lets anyone declare a surprise war without being penalized. Additionally, you can only ever declare a joint war with exactly one other civ against someone that neither of you are fighting. You cannot ask for help against a civ that's invading you, and you can never have a coalition of more than two players.

In single player, whatever decision process the AI is running for joint wars is super busted. Civs that hate each other and are friendly with you will band together to fight you. Civs that are nowhere near your borders and have no means of attacking you will happily declare war. Civs that have just lost a war and have no military left will happily take on the world. Usually all three at once.

Have you ever actually been in a two-front joint war? The AI doesn't even seem to plan for them, the way it does with surprise/Casus Belli wars. The only multiple front wars I've seen have been the regular kinds, where opportunistic neighbors start dogpiling you because they see your military is tied up. I've had multiple games end up in a cycle of the same three-four pairs of civs declare war every 20 turns, even though most of them had no way to attack me, and the ones that did were tied up fighting all their other neighbors.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 23, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Two games come to mind but I think it was a fluke over valid strategy.

In one game, two civs declared a joint war on the same turn another civ declared a formal war, making it seem like three civs had teamed up. The joint war attacked the east near my capital, the formal war attacked the south and pillaged a bunch of poo poo.

In the most recent game I was sandwiched between the two colluding civs, Egypt and Norway. Because Norway is all boats and my East coast was on an ocean, Norway had a solid front that kept me out of the water and struggling to stop them from pillaging coast tiles. Egypt tied up my troops to the West which created a pretty valid two front war, though nothing that could really take any of my cities.

In both games I had to struggle to switch from science production to military really quickly to defend myself. I thought it was decent of the AI to use this to knock me down a peg scientifically. But of course I won both games because the AI is atrocious at fighting wars and are never really a threat.

I miss the days of Civ V where Catherine declaring a war on you in the classic era was incredibly dangerous and you could expect heavy losses if you weren't prepared.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

In both games I had to struggle to switch from science production to military really quickly to defend myself. I thought it was decent of the AI to use this to knock me down a peg scientifically. But of course I won both games because the AI is atrocious at fighting wars and are never really a threat.

I miss the days of Civ V where Catherine declaring a war on you in the classic era was incredibly dangerous and you could expect heavy losses if you weren't prepared.

It's a bit maddening because the AI actually seems to be able to cope with melee combat way better than Civ V, but melee units are less relevant than ever since ranged units parked in rough terrain are functionally immune from infantry and the AI still doesn't grasp that.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I'm really looking forward to emergencies if only because it might prompt the AI to actually team up to try to stop me when I go demolishing stuff.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

homullus posted:

What's the "correct" opening in chess?

What.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
No civs today?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Kurtofan posted:

No civs today?

Teaser for tomorrow

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/955817484115894272

Civfanatics has already come to the conclusion that it's Robert the Bruce of Scotland

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ixnay posted:

Teaser for tomorrow

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/955817484115894272

Civfanatics has already come to the conclusion that it's Robert the Bruce of Scotland

With that spider and that quote? Definitely.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Clearly the Incas.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not William Wallace then? Well, some people will be happy about that.

Edit: Meanwhile, some wonder news: Colosseum now only gives +2 amenities to cities in range, but also gives +2 loyalty. The Great Library now gives +1 Great Writer point per turn and gives you a random Eureka every time a Great Scientist is claimed. So that's interesting.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 24, 2018

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hello is the AI still complete rear end like they were in the release of this game or can i have a semblance of difficulty in actual battles instead of fighting enemies from 2-4 time periods earlier?
Civ 5 was at the most enjoyable but my initial playthrough of this game just left a really bad impression :/

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Nope! The AI poses no threat in a military conquest game.

The other game systems have cool upgrades to V but the game is not very challenging. Every problem can be solved as such:

10 winning
20 AI gets close to 1st place
30 build ranged units
40 annihilate the world from two tiles away
50 go to 10

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

joint war insanity is a "feature," or they would've patched it out already

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Roland Jones posted:

Not William Wallace then? Well, some people will be happy about that.

I'm one of them. I hated the prospect of William Wallace leading Scotland, but Robert the Bruce is a fine choice.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Nope! The AI poses no threat in a military conquest game.

The other game systems have cool upgrades to V but the game is not very challenging. Every problem can be solved as such:

10 winning
20 AI gets close to 1st place
30 build ranged units
40 annihilate the world from two tiles away
50 go to 10

wtf!!! drat whats the incentive then on playing if AI isn't going to pull its strings to poo poo out units like crazy? i was baffled at how bad it was compared to 5 when it comes to war..surely y'all are playing for some challenge besides optimization?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

For what it's worth, the AI does pose a military threat in the beginning of the game where they start with free units/techs, have bonus combat strength from difficulty settings and naturally hate the player. It's entirely possible to lose your cities to an early game AI rush

... until you build some walls and ranged units. At that point, the military threat of even the highest-leveled AI instantly evaporates and it's no longer a question of whether you'll win or not but how you'll win and how long it'll take. From what I've heard, it's sessions in multiplayer games with real humans where the game mechanics mostly shine.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who plays a lot of MP in this game, I, at least, love it. Still has some issues, but it's pretty fun. Early game is more interesting than V's, too.

As for the AI, I hear about people losing on Deity a lot and stuff, even the people who stream/LP the game for a living, but I admittedly haven't actually watched many of those streams so I'm not sure if it's being conquered that ruins them or something else.

Edit: Also, of course, a big reason the higher-level AI is hard is because it cheats, but, that's always been the case with Civ. It's never had good AI, really. I think a major problem with VI's AI, compared to past games, is that it doesn't know how to deal with a lot of the new stuff. It doesn't get that joint wars are wars and not just another thing to trade, it doesn't get that it needs to prioritize districts even past the early game once it has more options, it doesn't get how the movement rules are more restrictive now, and so on.

That, combined with things like how the leader screen takes longer to load and leave whenever it decides to pester you, and it doing that more often due to reasons like agendas and it praising/warning you based on how it feels about you (which would otherwise be a good thing compared to how opaque V's AI could be), make it a lot more annoying than it was in past games despite, I expect, really being pretty similar to V's AI under the hood. Rather than being worse, exactly, it's probably mostly the same, but the game changed around it and it can't handle it.

I could be completely off here, of course. But it makes sense to me, at least. (This is also mostly semantic, since the final result is still the AI sucking at the game.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 24, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea I should probably play civ6 as a board game and forget about single player.

I would really like a single player focus Civ challenge though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea I should probably play civ6 as a board game and forget about single player.

I would really like a single player focus Civ challenge though.

Try the scenarios, maybe? They're supposed to generally be pretty interesting, from what I hear.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I've been watching some of the streams, and I kind of like what I see of golden and dark ages. Seems like you have to really work for a golden age, might accidentally end up in a dark age, but will most likely end up in a normal age. I like that, if that pattern holds true.

However, once one gets the tempo and requirements down, I think every decent player will be able to play Georgia in the following way nearly every game:

Ancient normal -> Classic normal -> Medieval dark -> Renaissance heroic -> Industrial golden -> Modern golden -> Atomic normal -> Information golden -> spaceship

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Human Crouton posted:

I've been watching some of the streams, and I kind of like what I see of golden and dark ages. Seems like you have to really work for a golden age, might accidentally end up in a dark age, but will most likely end up in a normal age. I like that, if that pattern holds true.

However, once one gets the tempo and requirements down, I think every decent player will be able to play Georgia in the following way nearly every game:

Ancient normal -> Classic normal -> Medieval dark -> Renaissance heroic -> Industrial golden -> Modern golden -> Atomic normal -> Information golden -> spaceship

That is probably a safer way of playing Georgia than my idea, which is to go for a Dark Age immediately in the Classical Era, then a Heroic Medieval, and try to maintain a Golden Age as long as possible from there. Keeps you a bit safer during the Ancient and Classical Eras, i.e. when poo poo is really dangerous, lets you still try to grab an early religion and stuff that you'll want, and benefits from their unique unit apparently coming under Military Tactics, which is a Medieval tech. If you can pull off a Classical Golden Age, then that's even better, but might not be possible all the time.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

That is probably a safer way of playing Georgia than my idea, which is to go for a Dark Age immediately in the Classical Era, then a Heroic Medieval, and try to maintain a Golden Age as long as possible from there. Keeps you a bit safer during the Ancient and Classical Eras, i.e. when poo poo is really dangerous, lets you still try to grab an early religion and stuff that you'll want, and benefits from their unique unit apparently coming under Military Tactics, which is a Medieval tech. If you can pull off a Classical Golden Age, then that's even better, but might not be possible all the time.

Yes, we do have the same idea only mine is safer. Yours may be totally doable. It all depends on how much each successive golden age requirement is.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I really hope unrestricted leaders becomes a thing in the future, because I absolutely want to play Mongolia as Catherine, and here's why:

There's a new mechanic in Rise and Fall in which you get +3 combat strength per diplomatic visibility you have relative to what the player has on you.

De Medici automatically gets visibility over all civs. +1 visibility, +3 strength.

Mongolia gets diplomatic visibility when it establishes a trading post to another civ (instantly when the trade route is created). +2 visibility, +6 strength.

De Medici gets a free spy at Castles, who can go on a mission to increase visibility on any civ. +3 visibility, +9 strength.

The Printing Press tech automatically grants another level of visibility over all civs. +4 visibility, +12 strength.

There's also a Great Merchant who can automatically grant another level of visibility over all civs. +5 visibility, +15 strength.

Oh, also Mongolia's ability doubles that bonus to +6 strength per level of visibility. It could be crazy even without Catherine as its leader, to be honest.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bluff Buster posted:

I really hope unrestricted leaders becomes a thing in the future, because I absolutely want to play Mongolia as Catherine, and here's why:

There's a new mechanic in Rise and Fall in which you get +3 combat strength per diplomatic visibility you have relative to what the player has on you.

De Medici automatically gets visibility over all civs. +1 visibility, +3 strength.

Mongolia gets diplomatic visibility when it establishes a trading post to another civ (instantly when the trade route is created). +2 visibility, +6 strength.

De Medici gets a free spy at Castles, who can go on a mission to increase visibility on any civ. +3 visibility, +9 strength.

The Printing Press tech automatically grants another level of visibility over all civs. +4 visibility, +12 strength.

There's also a Great Merchant who can automatically grant another level of visibility over all civs. +5 visibility, +15 strength.

Oh, also Mongolia's ability doubles that bonus to +6 strength per level of visibility. It could be crazy even without Catherine as its leader, to be honest.

Unrestricted leaders could get really silly. Putting someone other than Mvemba in charge of Kongo, so they can get their own Reliquaries religion and apostles, and thus relics via Martyr, and more places to put said relics since they can build temples now, could be fun, if extremely gimmicky. Maybe put Cyrus in charge of Scythia so you get hordes of 6 movement cavalry. Or put him in Sumeria and have even scarier war carts. (Really, Cyrus is good for any military civ.)

Not that this is a bad thing, mind. It'd probably be really fun, both playing it and just trying to figure out the most ridiculous leader-civ combinations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Roland Jones posted:

Not that this is a bad thing, mind. It'd probably be really fun, both playing it and just trying to figure out the most ridiculous leader-civ combinations.

i loved playing as willem of america or england in civ 4. cre/fin + supermarkets or stock exchanges in holy cities and corporate HQs :gizz:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Unrestricted leaders was discussed a while back in the thread when the possibility of multiple leaders per Civ was raised, and it's an interesting idea, could certainly lead to some power combos. If I'm not mistaken, you could play Barbarossa of Greece and have both an extra military and extra wildcard slot. That'd be pretty nice, like having Autocracy from Code of Laws onward. Or anyone else of Russia since I dislike Peter's leader ability but like the Civ abilities.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magil Zeal posted:

Unrestricted leaders was discussed a while back in the thread when the possibility of multiple leaders per Civ was raised, and it's an interesting idea, could certainly lead to some power combos. If I'm not mistaken, you could play Barbarossa of Greece and have both an extra military and extra wildcard slot. That'd be pretty nice, like having Autocracy from Code of Laws onward. Or anyone else of Russia since I dislike Peter's leader ability but like the Civ abilities.

Barbarossa + Greece probably wouldn't be the most effective combination, and his bonus and the Arcopolis's have contradictory purposes, but being able to equip all four policies you get from Code of Laws right away would be pretty amusing.

Meanwhile, in much the same way Cyrus is a great leader for anyone who wants to be aggressive, Curtin would be good for anyone who wants to be defensive. Doubled production when attacked might help some civs survive the early eras better.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I can't watch these streams for any length of time, my brain starts screaming every time they make a mistake.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Before the game allowed teams and I'd play with my girlfriend the AI would offer us joint wars against the other player all the time. Even if they were super friendly with the other player.
It's not much of a leap to assume it's something they're doing constantly. And when you are playing a team game two teams declare war at the same time as each other in almost all your early wars.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bluff Buster posted:

For what it's worth, the AI does pose a military threat in the beginning of the game where they start with free units/techs, have bonus combat strength from difficulty settings and naturally hate the player. It's entirely possible to lose your cities to an early game AI rush
I tried to play this again for an hour yesterday and I can report that it's still extremely easy to take a deity AI's completely unguarded settler, and knowing this, if you just prioritise early units and pick up one of their settlers you're in a perfectly good position.

If they used the escort formation that is in the game as a mechanic, which they could use, this would not be a problem.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Still hilarious that you can capture a settler and it stays a settler, IMO. Didn't they change that pretty early on in Civ 5 because it was bonkers broken?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Still hilarious that you can capture a settler and it stays a settler, IMO. Didn't they change that pretty early on in Civ 5 because it was bonkers broken?

Yes. So early that I don't ever remember being able to capture settlers as settlers.

Also, it's even funnier that the last patch for VI not only allows you to still steal settlers, but also starts the game with you next to one.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So... Scotland's UI is a Golf Course. Just putting that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Magil Zeal posted:

So... Scotland's UI is a Golf Course. Just putting that out there.

"Be sure to combat war weariness with golf courses."

Awesome.