Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

do chinese people on average see their lives getting better or worse? do they see themselves as being better off than their parents? and that their kids have a good chance of being better off than they are?

if the answer is generally yes then a collapse might take awhile

They're pretty busy making sure they don't buy fake eggs made out of magnesium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't see that as sustainable long-term

Doesn't have to be, just has to be longer-term than us

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

do chinese people on average see their lives getting better or worse? do they see themselves as being better off than their parents? and that their kids have a good chance of being better off than they are?

As I understand it, yes, but it might be reaching a peak. I"m not Chinese, just talking to (Chinese) MIL history prof who talks about the rumors of the upper crust squirrling away money in other countries.

That, and opinions can change quick if the US sets off a global recession and kneecaps everybody's growth.

The Dipshit has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Jan 23, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Probably not OP. Cheers.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
yeah i guess it'll be fine. you'll be alright. it's just politics amirite?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
china will absolutely ride out a collapse of the US, exports will suffer, but consumers for their goods can be found else, not least their own domestic market, which is growing

they'll be fine

you should probably start learning mandarin

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
china has historically been the most important center of civilization on this planet, and I don't think the fact that they're returning to their rightful place of strength ought to trouble anyone. for America that does however mean that their relative advantages are going to diminish significantly. And that's a bad time to have a major political crisis. which you're in the middle of rgiht now? yeah

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i've said it before and i'll say it again: the future is China vs. India, everyone else is just a sideshow

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

India is going to build a sunshade

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

rudatron posted:

i've said it before and i'll say it again: the future is China vs. India, everyone else is just a sideshow

pakistan has nukes too

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
so does israel, but you'll notice it's not on the list. you know why? because they don't matter.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

rudatron posted:

china will absolutely ride out a collapse of the US, exports will suffer, but consumers for their goods can be found else, not least their own domestic market, which is growing

they'll be fine

you should probably start learning mandarin

no it won't

china is overall less stable than the us, just better at hiding it because there isn't a two party system+non-state 24/7 cable news

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

lollontee posted:

china has historically been the most important center of civilization on this planet, and I don't think the fact that they're returning to their rightful place of strength ought to trouble anyone. for America that does however mean that their relative advantages are going to diminish significantly. And that's a bad time to have a major political crisis. which you're in the middle of rgiht now? yeah

china will have trouble returning to their rightful place of strength in east asia, let along the planet

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

this is from kaiserreich rite?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

no it won't

china is overall less stable than the us, just better at hiding it because there isn't a two party system+non-state 24/7 cable news
chinese are optimistic of their future, trust in their government, and believe the country as a whole is on the right path, at far greater rates than us citizens. it's the us with a crisis of legitimacy rn, not china.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Typo posted:

this is from kaiserreich rite?

jawohl

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

rudatron posted:

chinese are optimistic of their future, trust in their government, and believe the country as a whole is on the right path, at far greater rates than us citizens. it's the us with a crisis of legitimacy rn, not china.

polling data does not capture the complexity of something like "trust in government"

i.e:

http://news.gallup.com/poll/195656/americans-trusting-local-state-government.aspx

In the US despite lack of trust in federal governments, trust in state and local governments remain high, and varies by state

comparison of polling data does not necessarily captures desired contrasts, because phrases like "trust in government" means different things in different cultural and political contexes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the federal government was a mistake and our founding fathers were just well spoken and very literate idiots

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i'm just saying that your ability to extract surplus value from the rest of the world is going to diminish because you're having to compete with other economic centers for influence. and you're in the middle of a political crisis. see where i'm going at here? when chinas ability to project power over its sphere of influence collapsed, europeans swept in and took east asia from them in the 17th century. the same is about to happen to you.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i dont want east asia, i want america to collapse into several regional powers

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
without extracted surplus value from the imperial colonies, competition for wealth inside america is going to intensify, accelerating class war and paralysing the political system, leading to further inability to project power in the world. and on

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

lollontee posted:

i'm just saying that your ability to extract surplus value from the rest of the world is going to diminish because you're having to compete with other economic centers for influence. and you're in the middle of a political crisis. see where i'm going at here? when chinas ability to project power over its sphere of influence collapsed, europeans swept in and took east asia from them in the 17th century. the same is about to happen to you.

trade is mutually beneficial, no better example of this than the US-China relationship where China is desperate to sell cheap chinese goods made from exploited chinese workers to US

i.e to the point where they are giving us free money by subsidizing their steel at rates above us tariff rates for them

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

lollontee posted:

without extracted surplus value from the imperial colonies, competition for wealth inside america is going to intensify, accelerating class war and paralysing the political system, leading to further inability to project power in the world. and on

China's ability to achieve hegemony in East Asia is made impossible by East Asian geopolitics

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

i was talking to chinese farmers and they told me that their village was sub-saharan africa when they were kids, now 25% of households own cars and their kids go to college in cities

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

China's ability to achieve hegemony in East Asia is made impossible by East Asian geopolitics

also by the steady desertification of the yellow river basin

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Typo posted:

trade is mutually beneficial, no better example of this than the US-China relationship

trade is contingent and its profitability is conditional on mutual balances of power. It's easy for America and China to extract resources from Africa because their political class is captive and corrupt. Thing is, they're only ever captive to the highest bidder. And that would be China right now and in the future.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
maybe japan and vietnam won't cozy up with china, but south korea doesn't really have much beef, and neither does most of south asia.

Al! posted:

i dont want east asia, i want america to collapse into several regional powers
why do you think this is a good idea

because it's not

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

lollontee posted:

trade is contingent and its profitability is conditional on mutual balances of power. It's easy for America and China to extract resources from Africa because their political class is captive and corrupt. Thing is, they're only ever captive to the highest bidder. And that would be China right now and in the future.

Africa is next to irrelevant to the American economy, which is why China gets a free hand at trying to dominate it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

rudatron posted:

maybe japan and vietnam won't cozy up with china, but south korea doesn't really have much beef, and neither does most of south asia.

why do you think this is a good idea

because it's not

but it is a good idea, why do you think its not???????

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

zeal posted:

also by the steady desertification of the yellow river basin

in china there's literal rivers which is dried up if you go too far downstream cuz everyone upstream is drawing from it for inefficient industrial uses

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

china still has a massive labor pool to exploit

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Typo posted:

Africa is next to irrelevant to the American economy, which is why China gets a free hand at trying to dominate it

ah, i see. very wise

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
us population isn't really that large, 100 million is pocket change, all balkanization of the us is going to do is have open ethnic cleansing + shoving all the black people into the worst territory

or do you honestly believe taht the people who live int he coast are really that much better than the midwest, because spoiler alert, they're not

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

america balkanizing would be funny as hell and also incredibly bloody, but they won't let that stop em

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

rudatron posted:

There are 5 great powers in Asia: China/Russia/USA/Japan/India

There are minor players like Vietnam which prob never flips to china, and South korea which could flip to China

but the amount of strong states and powers in the region means the difficulty of China dominating Asia is same as someone trying to achieve hegemony in 19th century Europe, which had a similar configuration of powers (UK/France/Prussia/Austria/Russia) rather than the US dominating the carribean or Latin America (where the US was the sole great power with the UK sometimes able to contest them but not always)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Karl Barks posted:

china still has a massive labor pool to exploit

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

rudatron posted:

or do you honestly believe taht the people who live int he coast are really that much better than the midwest, because spoiler alert, they're not

why is it always texans who say this.... yes, parts of this country, even the rural parts, are much better off than other parts of this country

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

go on

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Russia is central asia, in east asia it's a big fat nobody that no one in the region cares about

india will of course be a big player, and china's main competitor, i thought i made that clear

but the as the us declines, its allies will naturally realize that they don't really get anything by being close to the us, than they do by being close to someone else, so they jump ship

that and the us isn't even on the same hemisphere, so their entire presence in the area is contingent on that support of allies, to host bases

when the allies flip, the bases go, and when the bases go, the us goes

that leaves india vs china vs japan

and japan has a way lower pop than china, way less natural resources, way less military currently, way less manpower, etc.

it's not a contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

america balkanizing would be funny as hell and also incredibly bloody, but they won't let that stop em
this is my plan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SzOUvB1WSg

• Locked thread