Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

double nine posted:

what's the recommended nation to play in the south america/peru region

I think Cusco's the one people do. They were the historical victors and start out with a god-king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah god king, at least one mission that's better than the generic missions you'd otherwise get in the same situation, and some good events as well.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oddium posted:

i keep seeing the maldives get annexed by one of the two indian powers there

I've noticed this recently too. No one used to touch the Maldives, ever. Now they always seem to get gobbled up by one of the Indian tags fairly early.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My goodness. I just started a Mamluks game. This government form is absolutely obscene.

Can I reform into Arabia and still get The Levant Turnabout?

Node fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 23, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not sure, but the only benefit to forming Arabia is some permanent claims in lovely land that you've probably already conquered.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not sure, but the only benefit to forming Arabia is some permanent claims in lovely land that you've probably already conquered.

And the deep green map color.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Node posted:

My goodness. I just started a Mamluks game. This government form is absolutely obscene.

Can I reform into Arabia and still get The Levant Turnabout?

yeah looks like

code:
achievement_levant_turnabout = {
	id = 254
	visible = {
		has_dlc = "Cradle of Civilization"
	}
	possible = {
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		tag = MAM
	}
	happened = {
		army_professionalism = 1
		NOT = { exists = TUR }
		owns_core_province = 149 #Edirne
		owns_core_province = 151 #Constantinople 
		owns_core_province = 317 #Hudavendigar
		owns_core_province = 326 #Ankara
	}
}
just need to have 100 professionalism, ottomans can't exist, and you need to own the provinces there

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

You can also take the caliph decision since the Mamluk country isn't allowed to take it, but the government form can.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What is the caliph decision?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

What is the caliph decision?

It's called 'Adopt the title of Khalifa'. Doing so gives 0.5 prestige/year until ruler death, and moves +10 towards legalism. It can be taken on a per-ruler basis. Not earthshaking, but useful.

In OTL, the Ottomans proclaimed themselves caliphs for most of the game period. Towards the very end of the game (1804-1903), there was apparently also a Sokoto Caliphate in West Africa, but I don't know anything about them except what's on Wikipedia.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New Dev Diary - Mission system revamp

Focus trees in my EU?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 23, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:stare:

It looks amazing and I love it. Although I suspect making all of those trees is going to be kinda tedious work.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

goodbye super easy mission system exploits

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Well ok. That was seriously due for a rework.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Ryukyu better be getting an extensive mission chain directing it towards a world conquest. Also, is that an independent Lord of the Isles tag in the Hebrides?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Didn’t someone post like a day or two ago that the mission system was due for a rework?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

Didn’t someone post like a day or two ago that the mission system was due for a rework?

Yea

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So you are going to have perma-claims on everyone on your mission list now?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

So you are going to have perma-claims on everyone on your mission list now?

No:

quote:

In the old system selecting a mission would give you the claim/CB you need for the mission, how is that handled now?

In most cases, preceding missions will give claims/CBs as a reward which can be used to fulfill the following missions.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
One of the devs says later that you will.

And drat, this looks amazing. With this and the startup text they seem to be adding some things that can really enhance the flavor for individual countries.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I wasn't sure if anything in this patch would be enough to get me back into the game after getting a little bored with it, but I think this is exactly what I needed. I really hope it works well and they add a shitload of mission trees in future patches.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i remember really liking how many historical events there were in EU2. maybe it's just bias because it was my first entry to the series, but it seemed a lot more unique country by country. hopefully this patch will be able to reconcile real history with a dynamic map more than previous attempts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

holy poo poo YES

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fister Roboto posted:

holy poo poo YES

Yup. :stare:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
O capricious gods of game development, please make it so that these are at least semi dynamic and don't rely entirely 100% on tag. Or make sure that there are robust alt-historical regional mission sets. Preferably both.

e.g. Let Rum use all of the Ottoman missions, give all Russian minors missions which will help them form Russia, Indian minors missions to help them form India, etc.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think they said it can change when you tag switch, but I don't think there's gonna be any dynamic on-the-fly changes based on what you're doing otherwise, from the looks of things. The lack of dynamicism does look like a (imo the only) major drawback though. If you conquer things in a slightly odd order, like if you get a random PU or something, it's gonna throw it all out of whack. It'll be a bit railroady in general, although considering what missions were before this point that's hardly a significant issue.

I wonder what else you could mod this into. Making the rewards more rewarding but with tougher constraints, so it's actually a skill tree sort of thing doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility. I said it before but I really love how they're adding these things that can make individual countries way more fleshed out.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I was more supporting the idea that there need to be 'regional' mission sets in the same way that countries have regional NI sets so that it's not a choice between generic ideas or tag-specific ideas. So that there's something to distinguish between missions for an HRE minor and an Indian minor.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RabidWeasel posted:

I was more supporting the idea that there need to be 'regional' mission sets in the same way that countries have regional NI sets so that it's not a choice between generic ideas or tag-specific ideas. So that there's something to distinguish between missions for an HRE minor and an Indian minor.

I think they already confirmed this in the diary thread

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i wonder if these permanent mission reward permanent claims for further permanent missions. probably just the ones that expire still though

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RabidWeasel posted:

Or make sure that there are robust alt-historical regional mission sets.

I got the impression they're mostly just porting the old missions over to the new system right now (which is a ton of work) without adding lots of cool new stuff. Hopefully that will come in the future.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

They said there would be in the diary.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

They said there would be in the diary.

I guess I missed that, I hope that there are lots of regional mission sets then.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I doubt they'll be that fleshed out yet, but it seems like the kind of thing they'll add to with each expansion's corresponding region.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Ethiopia game, pushed my way up to Alexandria and am now fighting a coalition of insignificant players and the Ottomans. Allied with Persia, is it worth it to try and defend/help Persia or retreat to the mountains? By the Ottomans alone, they have more than double my numbers. Either way I'm going to have to deathstack my army to stand a chance it seems.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
God drat it, focus trees barely work for extremely-limited-ability-to-go-off-the-rails HOI4, legitimately think just taking out missions entirely would be a better "fix" than this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It doesn't look like this is going to prevent you from going off the rails at all though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

For the most part it's just taking the existing missions and putting them in a few parallel lines, there's nothing to break, is there?

They should totally have some mid-to-late game generic missions with high requirements though, like having a 1 million man army or 100 provinces with manufactories or w/e

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

God drat it, focus trees barely work for extremely-limited-ability-to-go-off-the-rails HOI4, legitimately think just taking out missions entirely would be a better "fix" than this.

These really aren't anything like focus trees at all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also a lot of focus trees for major nations in HOI4 have branches specifically for taking you off the rails so I don't even understand that complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

reignonyourparade posted:

I don't agree with that at all. I'm sure there are going to be kinks to work out with the initial revamp but they're claiming extensibility for modders and it's going to fix a lot with the AI's terrible use of missions and, like they said in the dev diary, help newer players figure things out.