Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

explosivo posted:

Update: After feeding two more iron sources into their own set of furnaces I'm now producing enough to saturate the bus with iron plates. Now, I need to do the same with copper.

The march goes on.. :sigh:

Once you unfuck your copper, your iron consumption will increase and will no longer be producing enough.

Once you fix that, then you'll need to up your copper consumption to compensate.

This is your life now

Welcome to factorio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
One that's nice about that vicious cycle in .15 and now .16 is that with mining improvements your mining patches last longer. In .14 I would reach a point where I was building new mining outposts faster than I could actually increase production.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Renegret posted:

Once you unfuck your copper, your iron consumption will increase and will no longer be producing enough.

Once you fix that, then you'll need to up your copper consumption to compensate.

This is your life now

Welcome to factorio

I'm quickly beginning to realize this. On top of all that my standard defense method of "One gun turret and one laser turret behind 2 walls dotted around the outskirts of my base" isn't cutting it anymore. I'm ramping up wall production and reading up on how to build proper defenses because I'm at like 80% evolution and I can only spin so many plates.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Renegret posted:

This is your life now

Welcome to factorio

You forgot the step where you suddenly realize you are *out of oil* and can't make any more plastic or sulfur.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alkydere posted:

You forgot the step where you suddenly realize you are *out of oil* and can't make any more plastic or sulfur.

Halfway through fixing your oil, your factory suddenly loses power. You realize your starting coal patch just ran dry and you haven't planned ahead for this.

After several hours and a really unnecessarily long belt, you finally get it fixed, and completely forget to finish fixing your oil.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Honestly it's impressive that I've only truly lost one map from running out of power. I grew too big and there just wasn't enough coal physically anywhere for me to hand feed my boilers to get lasers going, and my base was well and truly overrun.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meanwhile, if you don't use lasers and aggressively prune all biter bases inside your pollution cloud, you have almost none of these issues. :smugdog:

(my last run got me the "no laser turrets" and "no logistics" achievements :v:)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A fun way to do the exact opposite of that is the "AutoDesignate" mod. Every radar cycle if there's biter base or spitter in radar range, it will put a manual artillery target on it. It seems to jump all over the place, so instead of designating a biter nest for destruction, it just keeps taking pot shots at giant nests and sending gigantic armies towards the gun. I'm sure eventually it will settle down, but for now my frontier outposts are getting absolutely hammered. Thank God for Nuclear Power!

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Firing your boilers (and even smelters) with solid fuel can be a great mid-game strategy if you have oil going but run out of coal, you're not gonna be using that light/heavy oil for anything else anyway.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Renegret posted:

Halfway through fixing your oil, your factory suddenly loses power. You realize your starting coal patch just ran dry and you haven't planned ahead for this.

After several hours and a really unnecessarily long belt, you finally get it fixed, and completely forget to finish fixing your oil.

Actually you did plan for it. You were switching over to Solid Fuel: it's why you're out of oil.

Good thing though, you were also setting up nuclear power and your first trainload of uranium ore arrives and while you limp along fixing the rest you manage to find...a single nugget of U-235. You finally notice your oil isn't fixed yet and finish the job just in time to notice you're nor producing any purple science packs and your construction bots trying to build that new smelting setup are complaining you're out of a required building.

Your starting stone ran out and you don't have any more un-cooked stone to make more rails. And you look back and realize you're back where you left off: your copper production is still way too short.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I'm still looking for a goon for some chill vanilla MP sessions? Drop me a PM or something.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Alkydere posted:

Good thing though, you were also setting up nuclear power and your first trainload of uranium ore arrives

I get that this is a vignette and all, but never do this. Always put your uranium ore processing centrifuges right next to the uranium patch. Uranium ore only stacks to 50, but you need 10 units to process in a centrifuge, which yields an item that stacks to 100. Putting aside the slight inflation of the odd U-235 you get, that's a twenty-fold increase in train throughput. :spergin:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Look dude if Uranium Ore throughput is the problem you're having then good on you, but a single wagon has more throughput than you'll ever actually use.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As soon as I get accumulators I make switched steam generator racks.

The first row of boilers is fed by wood, and if wood is detected on the belt the boilers are out on the bus to burn it off. Said wood supply comes from FARL offload/requester chests for what I clearcut.

The second and further rows are fed coal and switched based on a latch keyed to the tree accumulators at their output. First one is set to latch at 270 out of 300 and clear at 295. Second one 260 clear at 290. Third at 250 clear at 285 etc

While I’m still exclusively on steam I leave the first few always on. But they’re future proofed to go as I get solar capacity/nuclear later.

The input belts also have a double coal buffer and then chests of solid fuel. The second one only gets filled when the first one is full and only emptied when the first one is empty. I also have an item latch that stores the highest count of coal the second buffer sees. Once it’s primed with some hand inserted items it will always go up until there is a problem. If the second buffer starts to get drawn on then the chest count will be less than the highest recorded and triggers a global speaker alert. Should the second buffer go empty the solid fuel goes on the belt as an emergency power source.

The second thing I do is to build the same sort of latches at my mines and larger production facilities. The mines turn off when the train loading chests are full (and I make sure to run the poles so the wall and turrets around the drills always have power). If I run signals along my train tracks sometimes I add in a remote shutdown command too.

So the stages of failure mean that I do proper load shedding. Gun turrets should always have power to pull ammo from chests. Trains always have power to load fuel. Bullet production and never loses power. Beaconed blue circuits drops before red circuits before green circuits before mines before electric smelters. And I always keep old rows of steel furnaces that can be toggled on.

Also I build bunkers with 8 gun turrets and walled roads internal to my bases as I expand, so the rare biter that makes it in can’t do too much damage. One of the reasons I want to develop a pvp like mod similar to keepcraft.

Can you tell I’ve worked in industrial power engineering?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

I'm still looking for a goon for some chill vanilla MP sessions? Drop me a PM or something.

https://discord.gg/rDPVGb people have been running/playing vanilla MP on this discord

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

FISHMANPET posted:

Look dude if Uranium Ore throughput is the problem you're having then good on you, but a single wagon has more throughput than you'll ever actually use.

Yeah, in fact, it would take so long to process and fill a train with the processed uranium , that I would seriously worry about running out of nuclear fuel back home before the train ever left the mining outpost

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My uranium train has two cars, the first is the wagon for ore, the second is a tank for the sulfuric acid needed to mine the ore. Now that I've filled up my 235 buffer, it spends most of its time just sitting at home, because even using a gigawatt of power I'm gingerly sipping uranium.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You start using uranium a lot faster when you build nukes.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

FISHMANPET posted:

A fun way to do the exact opposite of that is the "AutoDesignate" mod. Every radar cycle if there's biter base or spitter in radar range, it will put a manual artillery target on it. It seems to jump all over the place, so instead of designating a biter nest for destruction, it just keeps taking pot shots at giant nests and sending gigantic armies towards the gun. I'm sure eventually it will settle down, but for now my frontier outposts are getting absolutely hammered. Thank God for Nuclear Power!

Isn't this effectively a really roundabout buff to the passive artillery range? The mod isn't super clear on exactly how it works; does it designate a known target every time it scans a chunk, or only when it actually scans a chunk containing a spawner?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
From having it run, it looks like everytime a radar scans a sector, and there are spawners or spitters in that sector, it designates one of them for bombardment. So essentially taking advantage of the manual range of artillery guns but does so very slowly. And because instead of destroying a nest at a time, it destroys a single spawner in a nest at a time, there are always huge armies to come and attack you.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

As soon as I get accumulators I make switched steam generator racks.

The first row of boilers is fed by wood, and if wood is detected on the belt the boilers are out on the bus to burn it off. Said wood supply comes from FARL offload/requester chests for what I clearcut.

The second and further rows are fed coal and switched based on a latch keyed to the tree accumulators at their output. First one is set to latch at 270 out of 300 and clear at 295. Second one 260 clear at 290. Third at 250 clear at 285 etc

While I’m still exclusively on steam I leave the first few always on. But they’re future proofed to go as I get solar capacity/nuclear later.

The input belts also have a double coal buffer and then chests of solid fuel. The second one only gets filled when the first one is full and only emptied when the first one is empty. I also have an item latch that stores the highest count of coal the second buffer sees. Once it’s primed with some hand inserted items it will always go up until there is a problem. If the second buffer starts to get drawn on then the chest count will be less than the highest recorded and triggers a global speaker alert. Should the second buffer go empty the solid fuel goes on the belt as an emergency power source.

The second thing I do is to build the same sort of latches at my mines and larger production facilities. The mines turn off when the train loading chests are full (and I make sure to run the poles so the wall and turrets around the drills always have power). If I run signals along my train tracks sometimes I add in a remote shutdown command too.

So the stages of failure mean that I do proper load shedding. Gun turrets should always have power to pull ammo from chests. Trains always have power to load fuel. Bullet production and never loses power. Beaconed blue circuits drops before red circuits before green circuits before mines before electric smelters. And I always keep old rows of steel furnaces that can be toggled on.

Also I build bunkers with 8 gun turrets and walled roads internal to my bases as I expand, so the rare biter that makes it in can’t do too much damage. One of the reasons I want to develop a pvp like mod similar to keepcraft.

Can you tell I’ve worked in industrial power engineering?

I've been using power switches on my new distributed factory and it works out great. Each intermediate product has it's own dedicated circuit breaker, so that if an accumulator gets below 50% only defense critical power consumers will run. Gives me time to build more nuclear plants without having biters gently caress up my poo poo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated Bot Landfill and Explosive Excavation to fix script errors due to API change.

Server admins should install this mod without telling their players.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I was considering starting over, but decided to expand instead. I've now got my outpost supply trains set up and ore/oil is coming in.

I'm well and truely over supplied on everything. Time to start space science! I'm going to have to basically build an entire new base to support the production required to do this at scale. Sweet!

Edit: I still need to balance my liquids/gas properly. Are there any good set-ups to automatically switch processing based on consumption?

Double Edit: I'm pretty proud of my nuclear reprocessing design. I wanted something which just acted like a factory, with Uranium-238 coming in from the right and Uranium-235 leaving from the left. You just need to place it and then manually drop in enough U-235 to start the process, it'll manage itself from there.

code:
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

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 24, 2018

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

yoloer420 posted:

I'm well and truely over supplied on everything. Time to start space science! I'm going to have to basically build an entire new base to support the production required to do this at scale. Sweet!

Edit: I still need to balance my liquids/gas properly. Are there any good set-ups to automatically switch processing based on consumption?

You can set up your 'heavy->light' and 'light-petrol' cracking to only turn on when a storage tank is at X capacity. I always overbuild my cracking because I'm lazy. If light oil builds up you can turn it into solid fuel, which then gets turned into rocket fuel.

The easiest way to unclog oil processing is to... yep... build more red chip assemblers and anything that needs plastic. Plastic will suck down your oil very quickly.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

yoloer420 posted:

I use a really basic logic circuit setup that works well.

Monitor your oil tanks, and if there's more heavy oil than light oil, supply power to the chemical plants that crack heavy into light. If there's more light oil than petroleum, do the same for those plants.

Keeps your liquids balanced, there's some potential to get maxed out on petroleum but as long as you're making a reasonable amount of circuits that'll never happen.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The blueprint a page or two back auto-switches based on consumption, it's really solid and I'm using it in my latest playthrough.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

little munchkin posted:

I use a really basic logic circuit setup that works well.

Monitor your oil tanks, and if there's more heavy oil than light oil, supply power to the chemical plants that crack heavy into light. If there's more light oil than petroleum, do the same for those plants.

Keeps your liquids balanced, there's some potential to get maxed out on petroleum but as long as you're making a reasonable amount of circuits that'll never happen.

While I love power switches, cracking is one of those cases where using a pump as a circuit controlled valve is far simpler and elegant.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

M_Gargantua posted:

While I love power switches, cracking is one of those cases where using a pump as a circuit controlled valve is far simpler and elegant.

Yup, just have a pump that turns on when there's >10,000 whatever in the system and never think about it again.

Naan Bread
Sep 3, 2011

After >200 hours I finally got annoyed enough to start using circuits to control my oil production and holy poo poo life is good now.

My next goal is upgrading to a 4-lane rail network, at least in the high congestion areas. I was wondering though do you need to have sections where trains can swap from one lane to another? I want to get trains using available lanes in each direction when they need to. Do you need to have outpost and unloading station exits from both lanes or can it be from one and the trains get themselves into the correct lane beforehand? My trains are all one-directional by the way, I've never tried putting an engine at each end and having them go both ways. A blueprint book or just screenshots of 4-lane networks would be great!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I started a lazy bastard run. What a slog the early bits are, but I finally have red/green, a mini mall and oil started with 4 crafts left. How do people also get "There is no spoon" with this achievement? Its madness.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

necrotic posted:

I started a lazy bastard run. What a slog the early bits are, but I finally have red/green, a mini mall and oil started with 4 crafts left. How do people also get "There is no spoon" with this achievement? Its madness.

By using high resource maps. I looked for a run like this and saw the following map:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
That makes sense. I haven't played a non-Rail World in ages, condensing resources didn't even cross my mind!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

By using high resource maps. I looked for a run like this and saw the following map:

They disable the achievements if you turn down biter base frequency/size, but you can still turn off expansion and evolution, while turning the starting area up as far as it will go.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

that's not true, i got my "no hands" achievement and a few others with a no-biter world.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Steam achievement or per-game achievement?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It only disables the two time related achievements, the no laser turret one and the no solar one if you use peaceful mode. All others are fair game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
FWIW (at least when I played) you could get the no-solar and no-lasers achievements by turning biters off entirely, just as long as you didn't turn on peaceful mode.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

GotLag posted:

Steam achievement or per-game achievement?

steam. just checked.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Jabor posted:

FWIW (at least when I played) you could get the no-solar and no-lasers achievements by turning biters off entirely, just as long as you didn't turn on peaceful mode.

Yeah, but then you're a huge wuss.

My last game was no lasers, no solar, no logistics bots, with normal biters and normal base start size. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
That feel when you build thousands of solar panels to get the Solaris achievement, wonder why it hasn’t cleared, and then you discover you can do it with just 47

:cripes:

It still hasn’t cleared after an hour after I made it its own separate network and plugged a radar in, I assume I have to drive consumption up too?