Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Welp, glad I made my 2 billion before they decided that things needed to be more grindy. Oddly enough I had more fun making that much money because it felt like I was making actual progress. I spent many hours doing those missions where if the payout had been smaller I would have spent less time in the game.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

quote:

Thanks to all the players who reported the issue.
:rolleyes:
Those quislings

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I never saw one of these excessively high-paying missions. Are they talking about the ones giving 1-2 millions or are they talking about the exploration-missions where you carried around a couple tourists to some close-by spots? That would suck, if they disabled those and left the insane ones telling you to travel to the other side of the galaxy and back in under 1 second

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Libluini posted:

I never saw one of these excessively high-paying missions. Are they talking about the ones giving 1-2 millions or are they talking about the exploration-missions where you carried around a couple tourists to some close-by spots? That would suck, if they disabled those and left the insane ones telling you to travel to the other side of the galaxy and back in under 1 second

The Medb -> Parutis runs were paying out about 1 million per passenger. With an Anaconda you could make about 150 Million per run. They didn't even mention the board flipping which means they aren't planning to fix it anytime soon or they don't think its an exploit?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jubjub64 posted:

The Medb -> Parutis runs were paying out about 1 million per passenger. With an Anaconda you could make about 150 Million per run. They didn't even mention the board flipping which means they aren't planning to fix it anytime soon or they don't think its an exploit?

Oh. Well, that tells me nothing without firing up the game and looking up where Medb and Parutis actually loving are, thank you

I'm guessing they're rather close to each other, or this wouldn't be considered an exploit?

Fake edit:

I was thinking of playing around in a Dolphin and was wondering: Where do you go to find passengers demanding luxury-class cabins? "First-class" is the highest I've ever seen and I'm not keen on putting a luxury-cabin into my Dolphin if no-one ever wants it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

jubjub64 posted:

Board flipping was mentioned in a different post a few days ago. Basically, they classify it as
technically an exploit, but fixing it would require changing around basic game mechanics. It's "on the list" to get fixed, but until then they are unhappily letting people do it with no consequence.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Libluini posted:

Oh. Well, that tells me nothing without firing up the game and looking up where Medb and Parutis actually loving are, thank you

I'm guessing they're rather close to each other, or this wouldn't be considered an exploit?

Fake edit:

I was thinking of playing around in a Dolphin and was wondering: Where do you go to find passengers demanding luxury-class cabins? "First-class" is the highest I've ever seen and I'm not keen on putting a luxury-cabin into my Dolphin if no-one ever wants it.

Sorry, its about a 35 minute supercruise drive from the star to the destination station which was, I guess, inflating the payout prices to exorbitant levels.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Board flipping was mentioned in a different post a few days ago. Basically, they classify it as
technically an exploit, but fixing it would require changing around basic game mechanics. It's "on the list" to get fixed, but until then they are unhappily letting people do it with no consequence.

I see. So they want us to have these huge cargo/passenger ships but not be able to fill them is what I'm reading out of that?

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

Does anyone use a thrustmaster t flight hotas x with fixed weapons?

This is what I've been trying to get set up right:

I'm still awful with fixed weapons but the theory is that the dip on the left of the curve should help smooth out fine aiming, while the "clipping" on the right should make it so I don't have to max out the joystick and roll it right off my desk to get maximum pitch.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to see they nerfed the Parutis -> Medb run.

If you wanna make money in this game, but you don't wanna use 'sploits, consider this effort post:

If you're rank 5 in powerplay, you get 50,000,000 credits per week. To get to rank 5, you need 10,000 merits. You can get 30 merits per kill if you shoot powerplay NPCs in an opposing power's system. This is called "undermining". So, to during the first week, it takes about 334 kills to get to rank 5. After the first week, you only need 5,000 merits per week to maintain your rank. Or 167 kills. Killing powerplay NPCs is illegal, so it helps to find an anarchy system for this.

So for example, I'm pledged to Mahon (the Alliance power). When I need merits, I fly to Bunda (controlled by Felicia Winters, a Federation power). There, I kill any Federal Agents or Federal Couriers I see, and leave everyone else alone. Bunda is an anarchy system, so from a crime and punishment standpoint, I'm still a good citizen. :v: You're supposed to fly around in supercruise, interdict, and destroy these powerplay NPCs. But this takes a long time between kills.

If you're aligned with a different power, use https://eddb.io/system to find an system with:

* Government: Anarchy
* Powers: pick every power you're allowed to undermine
* Power Effects: Control

So all that above is public knowledge. Here's the secret to get these kills quickly. Replace Bunda and federal NPCs with whatever system and power you're trying to undermine.

* Fly to the Nav Beacon in the Bunda system, then get about 30-50km away from the Nav Beacon.
* Quit to main menu, then relog into Solo.
* Powerplay NPCs are GUARENTEED to spawn within about 10 seconds of logging in.
* If non-federal NPCs spawn, just relog to solo.
* If federal NPCs spawn, destroy them, then relog to solo.
* Repeat until you have enough merits.

* Don't get destroyed, you lose your merits
* Don't forget to fly back to your power's space to turn in your merits.
* Don't be surprised when your first payout is paltry, you only get paid the 50m the following week after you achieve that rank

I know this isn't NEARLY as lucrative as the 'sploit of the month, but it's a better payout than RES farming, and you actually get to play the game instead of flipping the board.

First week:
50,000,000 cr / 334 kills = 149,700 cr per kill

Subsequent weeks:
50,000,000 cr / 167 kills = 299,401 cr per kill

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Libluini posted:

I'm guessing they're rather close to each other, or this wouldn't be considered an exploit.

They're right next to each-other, like 8.5ly apart. Parutis has 3(?) stations and medb has one, which is 1.6M lightseconds away from the star. So you can flip in the 3 stations in Parutis, then jump to medb and supercruise for 30 minutes, getting a hefty payout once you're there. I started playing the game less than a month agp and my networth is ~50 million because I did that a few times while cleaning my apartment.
Someone in the official thread said that the issue is with flipping, which I would agree with except that I never had to do it because I'm still a small fish. As a new player, I'm not sure I'm right on this but it looks like the devs really only consider one axis of progression, money. There are systems like rank and engineering that are supposed to be independent, but ultimately they can be made easier or circumvented with a lot of cash.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

Does anyone use a thrustmaster t flight hotas x with fixed weapons? I can't decide if mine has too much deadzone or if I'm just too much of a spaz to use it properly. I think it's almost easier to aim with a corvette than a vulture because on a light ship I keep overcompensating and the crosshairs oscillate over the target and I can never quite get a shot lined up. With a heavy ship it feels easier to just kinda nudge the nose where I want it without wildly swinging back and forth.

It's really just practice in my experience. I've had 2 ~5 year long stints from combat flight simulation in my time playing games, and every time it was just getting used to aiming with a joystick again. It takes a bit of practice because it's not as easy and precise to pick up as a mouse, but once you're in finally the zone it works great and feels good imo. Having a curve like shown 3 posts up helps to get started for sure, too.

e:

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I know this isn't NEARLY as lucrative as the 'sploit of the month, but it's a better payout than RES farming, and you actually get to play the game instead of flipping the board.

Yes, thank you for this.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 23, 2018

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

But isn't logging in and out in the same sprit of board flipping?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

jubjub64 posted:

But isn't logging in and out in the same sprit of board flipping?

Absolutely, you've got me dead to rights on that one. I use the term "instance scumming" to describe this.

But unlike board flipping, you get to fly a space ship between iterations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather log in and out and kill 10 duders than log in, scroll through a list then log out for an hour

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chakan posted:

They're right next to each-other, like 8.5ly apart. Parutis has 3(?) stations and medb has one, which is 1.6M lightseconds away from the star. So you can flip in the 3 stations in Parutis, then jump to medb and supercruise for 30 minutes, getting a hefty payout once you're there. I started playing the game less than a month agp and my networth is ~50 million because I did that a few times while cleaning my apartment.
Someone in the official thread said that the issue is with flipping, which I would agree with except that I never had to do it because I'm still a small fish. As a new player, I'm not sure I'm right on this but it looks like the devs really only consider one axis of progression, money. There are systems like rank and engineering that are supposed to be independent, but ultimately they can be made easier or circumvented with a lot of cash.

jubjub64 posted:

Sorry, its about a 35 minute supercruise drive from the star to the destination station which was, I guess, inflating the payout prices to exorbitant levels.

OK yeah, that's a bit much. Still kind of dumb that Frontier deletes this entire mission type. Hopefully they'll deal with mission board RNG at some later date, so board flipping becomes unnecessary.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Absolutely, you've got me dead to rights on that one. I use the term "instance scumming" to describe this.

But unlike board flipping, you get to fly a space ship between iterations.

I see your point.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

So I went an bought a T.16000M FCS HOTAS because I like HOTAS and my Saitek x45 has been hosed up for years. Anybody who uses this setup willing to share your bindings? I'm no good at building things from the ground up and on top of that as a new player I only have an inkling of an idea about what should be my priorities in terms of what to put on easier to reach switches etc. A friendly frog already shared theirs with me but I'm looking for a broad range of ideas if possible.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Bonus round: use my effort post to get rank 5 with Li Yong-Rui, which grants 2x payouts for exploration data. Then do road to riches (but don't stay out too long, you need to get back before your powerplay rank decays below rank 5).

If you can hang with Li Yong-Rui for 4 weeks, you can buy his unique pack-hound missiles. These are fantastic, so buy a ton of them and put them in module storage before you leave him.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bonus round: use my effort post to get rank 5 with Li Yong-Rui, which grants 2x payouts for exploration data. Then do road to riches (but don't stay out too long, you need to get back before your powerplay rank decays below rank 5).

If you can hang with Li Yong-Rui for 4 weeks, you can buy his unique pack-hound missiles. These are fantastic, so buy a ton of them and put them in module storage before you leave him.

:stare: gently caress, poo poo I completely forgot you could do that

I have to do this and do the same with Anime Lady's super shields and maybe some other stuff after that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if you've been watching the stream, but not only do we get GalNet-audio, we get it in German, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSUTzZ9jGA

(Probably only important for people who like to hear German, though. :v: )

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Lol, grinding to rank 5 in powerplay. Everything old is new again! Let us all know how it works out for you.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
wunderbar!

BTW here's my breakdown of which powerplay modules are good:

Strictly better:
- Prismatic Shield Generators
- Pack Hound Missiles
- Pacifier Frag Cannons

Situationally good:
- Advanced Plasma Accelerators
- Imperial Hammer Railguns
- Enforcer Cannon

Garbage:
- Cytoscrambler
- Pulse Disruptor
- Retributor
- Mining Lance
- FSD Disruptor Missile

edit: moved Enforcer Cannon from Garbage tier to Situationally good

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 23, 2018

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
They mentioned in the latest stream that you can keep your current engineered modules or change over to the new system. They said that if your module is greater than 75% max roll you would probably want to keep your old roll. Not sure if they mentioned that in the previous streams. Is there a reference sheet somewhere that tells what the max rolls on each module are?

Here is the part that I am talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSUTzZ9jGA&t=3499s

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 23, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jubjub64 posted:

They mentioned in the latest stream that you can keep your current engineered modules or change over to the new system. They said that if your module is greater than 75% max roll you would probably want to keep your old roll. Not sure if they mentioned that in the previous streams. Is there a reference sheet somewhere that tells what the max rolls on each module are?

Not a sheet per se, but edshipyard and inara both have that info.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
My take-away from the livestream: there will be an absolute cap on how good a bonus can be, and that maximum will be achievable with maybe 4-5 rolls. Also, the negative effects are fixed, and no more secondary effects.

So under the new system, you and I would both eventually have the exact same g5 dirty drives. Under the current system, no two modules are exactly alike.

I like the changes, but I don't like the return of cookie-cutter builds. I guess the poop-socker in me would like to see some more variation with the negative effects roll-to-roll.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Does the removal of secondary effects mean my FSD upgrade won't get bonus fuel used anymore? That'd nerf it considerably.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Guys.

Guys.

They’re giving the keelback a second seat.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Does the removal of secondary effects mean my FSD upgrade won't get bonus fuel used anymore? That'd nerf it considerably.

i should mention that they're adding a separate menu where you can buy additional special effects for your modules, so it might still be OK

it will depend on what they set the new cap to

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Guys.

Guys.

They’re giving the keelback a second seat.

great news

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe some military compartments too?
:negative:
That poor manatee needs a buff

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
The keelback is so under-rated. It's only like 3m or 4m, and that gets you out of your viper mk3 and into a whole new world of plasma-cannon fighters. Only problem is keeping the mothership alive, since it has awful shields and hull.

I wouldn't take it into a Haz RES, but you could have a lot of fun stealing kills from the police in a High RES or something. The imperial fighter is delightful to fly.

And with the next update, being able to access multicrew fighters at only 3m credits is great. Super useful if you want to do co-op, but you're all the way out in Colonia.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

The best part of Horizons is that the Engineers are 100% optional content for the game. You can do literally everything in the game without engineering a single thing, it just makes some activities faster or easier.

But because it's an extra thing that can be done, sperglords believe that it is something that must be done, that every component of their ship must be engineered. And not just engineered, but rolled 1000 times until they have distilled the perfect godroll that gives them a .0005% increase to a secondary effect.

"Egads, you can't just use a laser, you must instead travel 100 LY to modify it for 20% extra damage! This game is a huge time sink!"

I mean, you are kind of retconning the whole "secret engineer exploit" which gave certain PVPers god-rolls for zero-effort, making them unbeatable in PVP, which created the "engineering as essential" mantra for this game. It's a little disingenuous to say it just popped up out of nowhere because min-maxers be :spergin:.

Speaking of pointless grinds: I want to pre-roll some G5 mods for a PVP-fit Cheiftan. Since we all know absolutely nothing, what weapon loadout do you all think I should try to engineer up?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Got the galaxy map all worked out with the x52. I actually experienced a little motion sickness for the first time but it went away after I had some lunch.

I spent two hours just mining in my python. Now that passenger missions were nerfed (I missed that gravy train) are we back to just hauling rares? Is there any money to made in mining?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Keelback is getting a second seat :toot:

Also there’s an option to have stations refer to you by ship name not commander name. (Assuming same first 3 letter format)

Patch is going is gonna be ok. Not great just ok. :cabot:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

jboslund posted:

This is what I've been trying to get set up right:

I'm still awful with fixed weapons but the theory is that the dip on the left of the curve should help smooth out fine aiming, while the "clipping" on the right should make it so I don't have to max out the joystick and roll it right off my desk to get maximum pitch.

Also, an alternative program I've been using is Joystick Gremlin to get better sensitivity control.

I tend to use a responsive curve like the following which gives better precision around the center position of the stick:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, you are kind of retconning the whole "secret engineer exploit" which gave certain PVPers god-rolls for zero-effort, making them unbeatable in PVP, which created the "engineering as essential" mantra for this game. It's a little disingenuous to say it just popped up out of nowhere because min-maxers be :spergin:.
Whoah what was all this about?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Speaking of pointless grinds: I want to pre-roll some G5 mods for a PVP-fit Cheiftan. Since we all know absolutely nothing, what weapon loadout do you all think I should try to engineer up?

I would roll some kind of hull tank. I actually rolled like 30 g5 heavy duty HRPs of various sizes, because it's gonna be like 25 - 30 rolls per module to get to g5.

You could also hedge your bets and roll some g5 thermal resistant shields, and g5 resistance augmented boosters (both A rated and E rated if you want to add shield resistance to a low-power build). I did this as well.

I assume you already have dirty drives of every size you plan to use. If you have a god-roll dd5, might be a good idea to roll a spare that you can convert to the new system, but still keep your old god-roll grandfathered in. I'll probably do this soon.

edit: here's what we know about the chieftan's internals from the 2nd live stream:

2x c3 hardpoint
1x c2 hardpoint
3x c1 hardpoint

1x c6 power plant
1x c6 thrusters
1x c5 fsd
1x c5 life support
1x c6 power distributor
1x c4 sensors

4x utility (not 100% sure about this)

2x c5 internal
1x c4 internal
2x c2 internal

3x c4 military internal

other notes: it boosts to like 380 with unmodified A rated thrusters

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 24, 2018

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Soooo, the engineering changes. My thoughts:

Seems like it's going to be a bit more of a grind, but with tangible milestones and a clearly defined end-goal for any given module. I'm pretty okay with this. Gathering materials is a chore, but if I know for sure that if I farm up XYZ of these materials, I will end up with a maxed out whatever, I can live with that. My biggest beef was farming up mountains of materials only to piss them away on lovely rolls with garbage secondaries.

Secondary Bonuses are now experimentals you can buy for any module, it looks like. That's an interesting take on things. Being able to change experimentals on a module without having to reroll it is great, too. Seems like they're tweaking the values of the individual grade modifications, too. I don't think G 1-3 Overcharged MCs were quite so powerful in the existing system.

Establishing a base floor for the modification penalties is great. You can do a lot more theorycrafting and napkin simulations if you know for sure that a modification will apply X penalties. Right now at the high end a lot of builds rely on "IF you manage to get a really good roll this will work, otherwise..."

It sucks that you can't just skip straight to G5 on a fresh module, but it looks like the mid-tier upgrades aren't garbage anymore either, so that might be nicer for newbies: They'll see steady improvements for each step on the trail. And once you have a module perfected, you can always hold onto it for later. You can only hold 60 loose modules, but you can also store modules on ship hulls. Buy a few cheapo ships and store things on them for later.

Finally, the mats trader system looks fairly interesting. Seems like you can condense low tier materials into a higher tier form, for extra storage. Some of rare quality materials are surprisingly common (combat zones and RE sites are prime pickings) so being able to convert those up and down the tiers will make things more convenient. Burn a biotech conductors for a pile of conductive ceramics, for example. Even with the loss involved in melting them down, it sounds like it could save a lot of time.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Less Fat Luke posted:

Whoah what was all this about?

There used to be a bug that let you use g1 materials for g5 rolls. Lots of PvP nerds abused this, but FDev found out and they took their modules away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

[quote="Nostalgia4Infinity" post="

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also there’s an option to have stations refer to you by ship name not commander name. (Assuming same first 3 letter format)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Patch is going is gonna be ok. Not great just ok. :cabot:

“Greetings steamed hams, please proceed to Landng pad 7”

• Locked thread