Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Krustic posted:

I need a bass amp for a metal/rock band. I have 500 plus tax to spend. Should I get a Aguilar tone hammer 350, tc electronic bh550, or a tech 21 vt bass 500? Anyone used any of these?

Dyna Soar posted:

I now this doesn't answer your questions but both the Orange OB1 and Ampeg Portaflex models are class D amps and sound great.

Second the OB-1, I would go for the 300 watt version.

edit: poo poo out of your price range. Does it need to be one of those little portable heads? If not I would cruise your local craiglist, buying new is for chumps in my opinion, you can get way more amp for the dollar used.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Pokey Araya posted:

Second the OB-1, I would go for the 300 watt version.

edit: poo poo out of your price range. Does it need to be one of those little portable heads? If not I would cruise your local craiglist, buying new is for chumps in my opinion, you can get way more amp for the dollar used.

Used is almost always my first option, however this will have to be from sweetwater.com for 500 or less. Im pretty sure the Aguilar will have a tone I like but not sure if 300 Watts is enough for a full band. The TC has more watts and some effects but I have no idea what they sound like or if it takes pedals well. I guess I should see if any local places have either so I can try em. Not looking for a tiny amp in particular but they seem to be what’s hot. For reference I play with 2 guitarists who use 50 watt EVH III amps and a loud drummer.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I bought a TC electronic 250 combo because I wanted a decent sized combo and I got it for a song off local Craigslist.

It is ok. Great practice amp. Played out with it a few times but it is pretty lifeless on its own. I feel that way about most modern class d amps, though.

I am not a fan of digital effects, so biased against its toneprint options. They are ok if you are messing around, but otherwise use a pedal.

I'd have happily paid $100 more had a used Aguilar shown up during my search.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

No one should feel bad about playing a lined fretless. Sometimes you just plain can't hear yourself onstage.

It only gets stainless DR HiBeams because you can always resurface a fingerboard.

edit:

and while I'm plant posting here's the owner of that toasty neck, (mostly) finished putting it together the other night

Classy AF

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Krustic posted:

I need a bass amp for a metal/rock band. I have 500 plus tax to spend. Should I get a Aguilar tone hammer 350, tc electronic bh550, or a tech 21 vt bass 500? Anyone used any of these?

It's pretty sad Carvin went under. The B1000 was the best deal out there. Capable of 900w @ 2ohm, 6lbs, $350.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
You can get Peavey Firebass's & Peavey Max's for 200 bucks or less. 700 watts, kinda sterile tone but eats pedals REALLY well. I have one and couldn't be happier.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's pretty sad Carvin went under. The B1000 was the best deal out there. Capable of 900w @ 2ohm, 6lbs, $350.

I have an R1000 and 18” can sitting by my desk. Thing is loud as hell and the 18” is real magic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of, here's a family pic

Think I'm going to throw a fretless neck on the Jazz and get a P bass deluxe for my normal playing needs. The upright has been incredible btw, putting in a solid 1-2 hours a day on it learning songs, practicing scales and getting comfortable on the neck, and getting noticeably stronger and louder.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

pumped up for school posted:

I bought a TC electronic 250 combo because I wanted a decent sized combo and I got it for a song off local Craigslist.

It is ok. Great practice amp. Played out with it a few times but it is pretty lifeless on its own. I feel that way about most modern class d amps, though.

I am not a fan of digital effects, so biased against its toneprint options. They are ok if you are messing around, but otherwise use a pedal.

I'd have happily paid $100 more had a used Aguilar shown up during my search.

I think you just sold me on the Aguilar. I think it would be fine for my purposes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

At the time I was looking at the TH500 I was coming from an AG500, and they're just completely different voicings. The TH feels more like a DB750/1 than the AG and I wanted that SNAP.

I'm super happy with my Baer rig and having the little Carvin as a backup head, but if everything got stolen or whatever now that Aguilar has a new class D AG head I'd definitely be picking up that and a pair of their neo 112's.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I just got one of these on Craigslist and its a bass monster

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LH500

or you could go full metal and have 2 of these in the same box

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LH1000

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I believe since wattage is logarithmic that it would be 33% more

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm in no position to get another bass at the moment but if and when that glorious moment occurs, I've been thinking of trying one tuned in fifths. Maybe C - G - D - A? Does that even sound feasible? Maybe put a 'B' from a 5-string on the bottom, adjust the nut a little.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I played with it before and while it gives you some interesting chord voicings the tradeoff is it absolutely kills your left hand to play anything scalar/melodic. Same reason uprights are tuned in 4ths vs other strings in 5th; the reach is just too far and makes things harder to play.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That does make sense! Well, that's one mad science project to cross off the list. I have a fretless tuned A - D - G - C so that's enough tuning adventures for one lifetime, I think.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Counterpoint, forget normal basslines and play Morphine stuff

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm in no position to get another bass at the moment but if and when that glorious moment occurs, I've been thinking of trying one tuned in fifths. Maybe C - G - D - A? Does that even sound feasible? Maybe put a 'B' from a 5-string on the bottom, adjust the nut a little.

If you do this do it on a short scale, maybe even something like a Mikro.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If you do this do it on a short scale, maybe even something like a Mikro.

Could you get useable string tension with that tuning on a short scale? I'm picturing strings plopping and flopping around like epileptic fish.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
A Mikro is pretty floppy even in standard, but I guess you could try to mitigate it by putting on heavier strings.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yaaay fretless pics!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Scarf posted:

Yaaay fretless pics!

Yiss

Are those tapes? They definitely look like tapes.

I dig the foam between the strings. I thought it was the Carol Kaye method of taping foam over top of the strings, then I saw it was woven in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Best way I’ve found to foam is to just bend two pieces into a taco shape and shove it between the E/A and D/G strings. Takes way less foam, it self tensions, and looks way less obtrusive.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Science Goy posted:

Yiss

Are those tapes? They definitely look like tapes.

I dig the foam between the strings. I thought it was the Carol Kaye method of taping foam over top of the strings, then I saw it was woven in.

Yeah, labella tapes I've had for probably 6-7 years.

It's a piece of foam that I think was in the packaging for my old xbox 360. I kinda bunch it up between the strings :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What's the go to DI/compressor combo these days? Still tech 21 sansamp?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the go to DI/compressor combo these days? Still tech 21 sansamp?

If Darkglass would get their head out of their rear end and put an XLR output in the SuperSymmetry, I'd recommend that in a heartbeat. That's the one feature that is missing for me on that unit.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

It's a piece of foam that I think was in the packaging for my old xbox 360. I kinda bunch it up between the strings :)

poo poo, that reminded me that I requested one of these last week and never got the invoice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can anyone help me dissect the tone in the first ~15 seconds of this video? She's playing flats on a fretted jazz bass with no muting but holy poo poo the tone is the closest I've ever heard an electric sound to an upright. Both pickups are full and tone is like 1/3rd, but what about her EQ? Boosted low mids with everything else dropped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7UtVRH4Ao

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Can anyone help me dissect the tone in the first ~15 seconds of this video? She's playing flats on a fretted jazz bass with no muting but holy poo poo the tone is the closest I've ever heard an electric sound to an upright. Both pickups are full and tone is like 1/3rd, but what about her EQ? Boosted low mids with everything else dropped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7UtVRH4Ao

Why not go the creepy route? https://www.lucycliffordmusic.com/contact

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lmao already did email her and asked

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Looks like there's another pickup right at the edge of the fretboard.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I think that just tape at the bottom of the neck, I don't know what pickups are that small.

When I listened through my phone's speaker I thought it just sounded like a jazz bass. Listening through earphones I think it the bass is turned up, treble rolled off, and the camera mic is picking up the finger noise off of the strings, which is whatever I think might be giving it the extra upright like tone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It has very little boomy low end in the eq, it's a hollow and acoustic sound with lots of highs but no clinkiness, and a lot of finger/string noise for the tone knob to be so low. The sustain is also very different from a normal jazz bass sound, especially fretted. Maybe just really dead flatwounds?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Yeah it's the camera's microphone capturing a combination of the sound of fingers on strings and the amplifier elsewhere in the room. Also good right hand technique.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
My Peavey T-Max that I posted about previously ended up having some issues in the power amp board that I've yet to diagnose. I'll probably have to take it to an actual tech this time. Not everything can be fixed with chopsticks, I suppose.

I have an out of town show this weekend, so I started considering my options for renting or purchasing a head, and came across a freshly tubed and recapped '68 Sunn Sorado. Even in death, my peavey always had my back.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

How much does that sucker weigh?

Also give doggo scratches for me :3:

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
About 40lbs, which is what the transformer alone weighed in my Peavey. I've gone from one heavy head to another so the weight won't bother me. It's my first full tube bass amp. The tone has so much character and it's so responsive. The slightest change of attack makes a huge difference in tone. From surf to doom, it just sounds so full and good.

Spiderman (the doggo) spent three hours playing fetch at the river yesterday, so he's being a lazy boy today. He's all about butt massages right now.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Those old Sunn tube heads own, sucks that they are so expensive now.

I joined a new band, and got a new head, this new rig is sounding mighty loving bassy. Orange AD200b, 200 watt tube head running the two 15's, and a Hartke LH500, running the 10's and 12's. Basically running it as a bi-amp setup, now I just need to get a shitload of stereo effects like I use to have, stereo chorus and delay through 2 bass amps is an amazing sound.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
Yeah, I paid 575, which is probably twice what it might have cost ten years ago. There's a 2000s on Austin Craigslist right now but I can't spend a thousand bucks on a head.

Jealous of your rig every time you post it. I bet it sounds amazing. Cabinet looking sick as always. The guy who sold me the Sorado had a LH1000 that he spoke highly of. I want to fix my T-Max and bi-amp but I am not sure how to run both off the Sorado preamp so I have some reading to do.

I can only run my 12s because both cabs are 4ohm. I will probably sell the 210 because they don't sound as clear as the Neo 12s. There's an mxr stereo chorus on CL I was considering, so I could work towards a stereo rig, but I impulsively purchased a boss bf2 for 45 bucks that I've been having fun with.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
You can hear it tomorrow night at Barracuda (use to be Red 7) we play at 12:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

My Peavey T-Max that I posted about previously ended up having some issues in the power amp board that I've yet to diagnose. I'll probably have to take it to an actual tech this time. Not everything can be fixed with chopsticks, I suppose.

I have an out of town show this weekend, so I started considering my options for renting or purchasing a head, and came across a freshly tubed and recapped '68 Sunn Sorado. Even in death, my peavey always had my back.

Nice to see those old Sunns shine again.

My big rig is a newer Sunn from the late 90s/early 00s, when Fender was making them. Sunn 300T (later released as the similar-looking Fender Bassman 300T, before the Bassman 300 became something else prior to discontinuation).

And it weights about 80 pounds. No exaggeration.