Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So what can the cat do? Is it like a pet you pick damage/tank/heal sets for?

Kinda. They don't really do damage/tank/heal though. Their role is more to distract the monster and do weird poo poo hunters can't.

In past games they could do things like make traps that poisoned the monster, create trampolines so non-Insect Glaive weapons could do easier mounts, summon a tank and go into super mode to blast a monster etc. They also had some boring 'heal you' horns, cure status stuff etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Emron posted:

HH seems cool but it also seems like wasted potential if you’re not in a group? I’m probably totally wrong on that.

It's a fine weapon in it's own right even solo. It's basically a simplified hammer. That said, while I love the concept, I always just find myself wishing I was playing hammer.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Were these statistics on which ammo was good and which sucked for a given weapon actually listed anywhere in the demo? I don't recall seeing them in the weapon stats.

if you pressed L3 on the weapon screen it pulls up a big datasheet with the weapon types and what recoils it has

I think i was the first and last person to ever see that screen

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zore posted:

Kinda. They don't really do damage/tank/heal though. Their role is more to distract the monster and do weird poo poo hunters can't.

In past games they could do things like make traps that poisoned the monster, create trampolines so non-Insect Glaive weapons could do easier mounts, summon a tank and go into super mode to blast a monster etc. They also had some boring 'heal you' horns, cure status stuff etc.

I like the heal ones. Depends on build. But not stopping a combo to fix that accumulating damage is great.

ABSA. Always be switch axing.

Also combos great with gunlance and that chip damage.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Emron posted:

HH seems cool but it also seems like wasted potential if you’re not in a group? I’m probably totally wrong on that.

It definitely feels like it has less damage potential than virtually every other weapon for solo play, but in a group it's godlike. It's a multiplayer-centric weapon. The majority of my nergigante kills had a HH present in the group. It makes a real difference.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I play hunting horn. But only in groups. It has good damage if easily hit head, but it's just a bit boring actually. You get all your buffs out and you can swing a few times. And sing at them. But all you combos are kind of the same and do similar damage.

Fun as heck multi though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

if you pressed L3 on the weapon screen it pulls up a big datasheet with the weapon types and what recoils it has

I think i was the first and last person to ever see that screen

i mean i know there are onscreen prompts but this is still the first i've heard of L3 doing anything on the loadout screen

daaang it. i'm gonna be spending a lot of time exploring the interface and menus thursday night (west coast best coast :c00l:)

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I picked hunting horn instantly because I just really love playing a support that can also beat the poo poo out of dinosaurs with a massive instrument. Plus I tend to gravitate towards playing multiplayer and like being helpful in general.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

I play hunting horn. But only in groups. It has good damage if easily hit head, but it's just a bit boring actually. You get all your buffs out and you can swing a few times. And sing at them. But all you combos are kind of the same and do similar damage.

Fun as heck multi though.

It is kind of a blessing in disguise for me, I read the UI a lot and sometimes struggle to keep up with making the melodies and staying in the action. I like that I can take one swing at a time and reposition inbetween attacks without breaking up the notes. Towards the end of the beta I was getting the hang of it and confidently doing uninterrupted combos and breaking out the tunes quickly while damaging the monsters, but the simplicity of the attacking is a positive for me.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Anjanath being an awesome and adorable dino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdOlxtcmq8M

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AttackBacon posted:

World is literally "Elder Dragons: The Game" so sucks to be you I guess.

Just a reminder, World drops at 9pm PST on Thursday so get your poopsocks out and be ready to pull an all nighter. I'm turbo boned since this is the first week of school (going back to school in your thirties suuuucks) but I'm going to grind my face off over the weekend. Can't fuckin wait!

I've got Friday off so I'm going to poop some socks for sure

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My problem with HH is that I get into the habit of "ok my next attack must be a Performance to get these three songs out" even though it would be more effective to keep taking overhead swings at the head to get a KO, or doing an Encore to get three buffs out even when the monster has long since bailed, or whatever. I don't have a good sense of priorities beyond "get buffs up, hit head"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

My problem with HH is that I get into the habit of "ok my next attack must be a Performance to get these three songs out" even though it would be more effective to keep taking overhead swings at the head to get a KO, or doing an Encore to get three buffs out even when the monster has long since bailed, or whatever. I don't have a good sense of priorities beyond "get buffs up, hit head"

Buddy you just keep playing those buffs and I'll take care of the head :thumbsup:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

My dudes. You know you can queue 3 songs and play them all at level 2 at once? Right?!?

You just HAVE to play every 3 minutes or so.

Although song is huge damage so I always do a tri-tri just to have a song queued to attack with.

Also I queue that poo poo in camp when we start and play as soon as we find the monster.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 23, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Buddy you just keep playing those buffs and I'll take care of the head :thumbsup:

Yeah I love seeing a hammerer when I'm playing HH because it lessens my load of responsibility considerably

I get the exhaust and buffs, you get the KOs, everyone wins

Bombadilillo posted:

My dudes. You know you can queue 3 songs and play them all at level 2 at once? Right?!?

Although song is huge damage so I always do a tri-tri just to have a song queued to attack with.
Oh sure and it's a fantastic improvement but it doesn't change the fact that you're often gonna Encore into empty air

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I love seeing a hammerer when I'm playing HH because it lessens my load of responsibility considerably

I get the exhaust and buffs, you get the KOs, everyone wins

Oh sure and it's a fantastic improvement but it doesn't change the fact that you're often gonna Encore into empty air

I never encore into empty air. Just into skulls. If you are using for attack with a whatever happens to be queued you can roll cancel out of it and immediately sing again after repositioning.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Rocksteady mantle is a godsend for horners, you can just queue up all your songs, throw on the mantle, and do a ditty on the monsters face because you ain't gettin fuckin interrupted. Keep in mind that if you are using recitals for damage you generally want to use 3 note songs, they get an extra hit. My favorite Nerg setup was full tank horn, you took noticeably less damage with all the defense skills and you could just play balls to the wall and not have to worry about silly things like "evasion" or "positioning", just shredding. It was great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AttackBacon posted:

Rocksteady mantle is a godsend for horners, you can just queue up all your songs, throw on the mantle, and do a ditty on the monsters face because you ain't gettin fuckin interrupted. Keep in mind that if you are using recitals for damage you generally want to use 3 note songs, they get an extra hit. My favorite Nerg setup was full tank horn, you took noticeably less damage with all the defense skills and you could just play balls to the wall and not have to worry about silly things like "evasion" or "positioning", just shredding. It was great.

Yeah I've learned rocksteady mantle is THE poo poo. I kept loving around with the glider mantle in the beta but once I realized how good rocksteady was I didn't go back.

It makes finishing your fade slash combo as LS soooooo much easier. And opens up armor set options too, since I won't be forced to get earplugs if I don't feel like it. And tiny little hits don't make you flinch and interrupt the combo, you just eat the damage and keep comboing. It feels so good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

I never encore into empty air. Just into skulls. If you are using for attack with a whatever happens to be queued you can roll cancel out of it and immediately sing again after repositioning.

i mean if you don't encore then you have to take the time to set up all those songs again because they disappear after the performance, and in the meantime you and your team are stuck with inferior buffs, which offends the hell out of me :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my only problem with rocksteady mantle is i have a bad habit of not noticing that i'm at half health from all the chipping and whoops Anjanath just did his chin dig charge and now I'm carted :v:

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I also can't decide on which weapon I want to start with. They're all fun!

Hunting Horn is a still a great solo weapon and has one of the fastest runspeeds, if not best in the game . You just need the self improvement song up (always). It shines in groups because of its nature: play songs to get stronger, and if you have a party they get it too. Seriously one of the songs will give a 20% boost to your damage, and by extension everyone else's. Not sure if the infinite stamina song has been changed to stamina reduction like dash juice, but we'll be finding out soon.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I've learned rocksteady mantle is THE poo poo.

Just don't get paralyzed or run out of stamina or anything :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wish the health and stamina bar were larger. I'm too used to them being huge and prominent in the old games (though that was because they needed to be easily visible on handhelds).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Colorspray posted:

I also can't decide on which weapon I want to start with. They're all fun!

Hunting Horn is a still a great solo weapon and has one of the fastest runspeeds, if not best in the game . You just need the self improvement song up (always). It shines in groups because of its nature: play songs to get stronger, and if you have a party they get it too. Seriously one of the songs will give a 20% boost to your damage, and by extension everyone else's. Not sure if the infinite stamina song has been changed to stamina reduction like dash juice, but we'll be finding out soon.

What does self improvement actually do?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What does self improvement actually do?

The initial self improvement gives you a huge movespeed boost while unsheathed, I think enough that you move at full non-sprinting sheathed speed

The encore prevents bouncing (damage is still reduced and sharpness is still deducted, but you don't stagger) which is loving brilliant against e.g. Barroth

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

i mean if you don't encore then you have to take the time to set up all those songs again because they disappear after the performance, and in the meantime you and your team are stuck with inferior buffs, which offends the hell out of me :v:

You can cancel out of the rehersal before you get to encore and it keeps the song queued. I think, 95%. Second guessing myself now.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
After you put your mantle on, can you take it back off? I thought I did it once, but can't be sure now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

You can cancel out of the rehersal before you get to encore and it keeps the song queued. I think, 95%. Second guessing myself now.

poo poo now I'm second guessing myself about that too.

Is it Thursday night yet? :(

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Chaitai posted:

After you put your mantle on, can you take it back off? I thought I did it once, but can't be sure now.

Seems like, one of the speedrun videos for longsword showed them using rocksteady, then switched to the ghillie suit to sharpen, then back to rocksteady.

Even with the time limit rocksteady seems a little OP. But I think that may be just because I'm watching videos of really good players abusing it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Chaitai posted:

It's unlimited use but with a cooldown. The camouflage mantle will cancel itself if fighting breaks out.
You can have different mantles in different equipment slots and go from one straight to the other, but they will incur their individual cooldowns upon use.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to find out the Rocksteady Mantle is crafted from like, 5 Azure Rathalos Rubies.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So what can the cat do? Is it like a pet you pick damage/tank/heal sets for?

Mostly beaten, but the cat is essentially your Rodeo Clown. In single player, he mostly distracts the monster sometimes so you can get some hits in or use some items while it's trying to eat your cat instead of you. They also get various abilities on cooldowns, like healing you, buffing your damage, spawning traps, throwing bombs, and so on.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

AttackBacon posted:

Anjanath being an awesome and adorable dino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdOlxtcmq8M

Something I noticed for the first time (since I never used the gillie suit) is that the mantles fall apart as their timer runs out. I've noticed that the Rocksteady Mantle will breakdown into the webbing after a bunch of hits and I was wondering if putting it away began the recharge timer faster than waiting for the mantle's use time to naturally expire and having the character automatically put it away.

Bombadilillo posted:

Also I queue that poo poo in camp when we start and play as soon as we find the monster.

Can someone break down the method of queuing up multiple songs to get the encore for them all at once? I messed around with HH some but I couldn't figure it out. I could set up a song, play it into green then encroe it into purple no problem, but when I have multiple songs that are green performing the encore only improves the one song I played to get to the encore. Can someone give me an example list of button presses like "tri, tri, R2, tri, cir, t+c, R2, R2" for me?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Once you have three songs on the list, press R2 and just wait :sax:. Each song on the list will flash in turn to show that it's been 'loaded' into the horn. Once all three songs have flashed, press R2 again to unleash all three melodies at once.

This is risky and opens you up to attack and makes you very vulnerable so make sure the monster isn't going to hit you anytime soon.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Something I noticed for the first time (since I never used the gillie suit) is that the mantles fall apart as their timer runs out. I've noticed that the Rocksteady Mantle will breakdown into the webbing after a bunch of hits and I was wondering if putting it away began the recharge timer faster than waiting for the mantle's use time to naturally expire and having the character automatically put it away.

Can someone break down the method of queuing up multiple songs to get the encore for them all at once? I messed around with HH some but I couldn't figure it out. I could set up a song, play it into green then encroe it into purple no problem, but when I have multiple songs that are green performing the encore only improves the one song I played to get to the encore. Can someone give me an example list of button presses like "tri, tri, R2, tri, cir, t+c, R2, R2" for me?

Button presses are different for every horn. Every horn has different songs.

You can just read the screen and pick 3 songs, swing all 9 notes you you need.
Now the songs are sitting in the upper left.
R2
You guy begins the :toot: if you mash R2 you will encore that song. Do NOT do this. Hit nothing.
The song list will flash and the second song will highlight green. Still do nothing
The song list will flash and all 3 songs will be highlighted green. NOW hit R2
all will turn purple and you will play the encore and get level 2 buff for all 3 songs.

After you queue the songs ALL you have hit is R2....wait...wait...wait...R2.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Bombadilillo posted:

Button presses are different for every horn. Every horn has different songs.

You can just read the screen and pick 3 songs, swing all 9 notes you you need.
Now the songs are sitting in the upper left.
R2
You guy begins the :toot: if you mash R2 you will encore that song. Do NOT do this. Hit nothing.
The song list will flash and the second song will highlight green. Still do nothing
The song list will flash and all 3 songs will be highlighted green. NOW hit R2
all will turn purple and you will play the encore and get level 2 buff for all 3 songs.

Okay, I think I get it. I thought that when you played a song it only triggered off the last three notes you played. So if I put in the combo for Attack Up then hit Tri again I would have to go through the extra attacks to get the three notes for Attack Up back in my music staff. I didn't know I could play three notes for one buff then immediately play three notes for another and have them both activate with one press of R2. Thanks!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Okay, I think I get it. I thought that when you played a song it only triggered off the last three notes you played. So if I put in the combo for Attack Up then hit Tri again I would have to go through the extra attacks to get the three notes for Attack Up back in my music staff. I didn't know I could play three notes for one buff then immediately play three notes for another and have them both activate with one press of R2. Thanks!

You play 3 notes that are a song it goes on your list in the upper left.

The next 3 notes that work for anything (including a repeat) will queue another song under it

The next 3 notes that work for anything (including a repeat) will queue another song under it

If you play another 3 notes that are a song it will replace the oldest song on your list.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I really hope Gore Magala comes back as DLC or something, because he has my favorite DB set out of the entire series.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So with hunting horn, is it better to queue up multiple songs and play/encore them all at once, or play/encore one song at a time so you can do those sweet R2 attacks more often?

I'd guess the answer is "play all your songs at once and then do regular combos until you need to refresh" but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Playing them all at once is a massive time saver and it also does an enormous amount of damage, but you aren't always in a position to be able to do so. Sometimes you have to make a quick tune and then reposition. As mentioned previously, you are very immobile & vulnerable when setting up for a triple encore.