Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

are they all verified by MS? or have they just failed to ban this particular nazi one?

what are you smoking, no one verifies player communities anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's so unregulated that once the group gets banned all they need to do is make the same group with the same members and the same group name with like a 2 at the end. it's absolutely not unique to xbox

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
why is moderation so poo poo on every social platform?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i don't even mean the human effort required to review everything, i mean the tools available seem to be poo poo and a total afterthought.

after your white power clan gets shut down, that should automatically prevent you from making a new one, or a similar one, or at least flag you as requiring pre-approval

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

i don't even mean the human effort required to review everything, i mean the tools available seem to be poo poo and a total afterthought.

after your white power clan gets shut down, that should automatically prevent you from making a new one, or a similar one, or at least flag you as requiring pre-approval

pre-approval requires moderation, which is not as cheap as not doing anything. sames goes for dealing with pr when someone whines about lockout from the system, when you can just follow the motions for dime on a dollar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

none of these things will change until platform owners are accountable and held liable

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
so don't pre-approve, just flag the account as "can't create new groups due to past bahavior"

if your platform is even moderately succesful, it will have troublemakers and sooner or later you will have to deal with it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

so don't pre-approve, just flag the account as "can't create new groups due to past bahavior"

if your platform is even moderately succesful, it will have troublemakers and sooner or later you will have to deal with it.

or you don't deal with them at all, and suffer neither consequance not pr troubles or any other kind of losses

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wheany posted:

tech companies think they can software robot their way out of every problem

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the windows media creation tool got worse with windows 10

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

c 1709 s: won't install on wife's 2 year old inspiron, ran just fine on my e6400 from 2006

loving smooth

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Wheany posted:

because every social platform follows nearly the exact same design as every platform before it. history shows if you add a comment section, racist rants will take over. if you add private messages, people will get sexually harassed and threatened. if you add photo upload, you'll get dick pics, etc.

companies don't look at this and see "oh jeez that's proven to be a toxic formula", they see "that's proven to uh 'drive engagement'". or they're just extremely lazy and love to copy what so-and-so did.

okcupid seems to have finally woken up to this and made changes. now, men's messages don't go to women's inboxes, they only show up if you indicate you like each other, or they view your profile. you must also now share your first name. it's lead to a 67% decrease in messages flagged as offensive.

there are some really awful plans too. Twitter has handed over almost complete moderation power to celebrities, and will block anyone who isn't civil, while keeping around folks who openly want genocide, as long as they don't swear. Facebook seems to be trying to ban non-centrist news because pundits are blaming them for Trump. reddit seems to be turning a blind-eye to an extreme amount of astro-turfing. chris poole from 4chan just bailed lol.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

media creation tool fix: copy the exe to the flash drive you're using and i guess it can't format the drive and step on its own toes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

installed 1709 and i don't have a wallpaper anymore

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

because every social platform follows nearly the exact same design as every platform before it. history shows if you add a comment section, racist rants will take over. if you add private messages, people will get sexually harassed and threatened. if you add photo upload, you'll get dick pics, etc.

companies don't look at this and see "oh jeez that's proven to be a toxic formula", they see "that's proven to uh 'drive engagement'". or they're just extremely lazy and love to copy what so-and-so did.

okcupid seems to have finally woken up to this and made changes. now, men's messages don't go to women's inboxes, they only show up if you indicate you like each other, or they view your profile. you must also now share your first name. it's lead to a 67% decrease in messages flagged as offensive.

there are some really awful plans too. Twitter has handed over almost complete moderation power to celebrities, and will block anyone who isn't civil, while keeping around folks who openly want genocide, as long as they don't swear. Facebook seems to be trying to ban non-centrist news because pundits are blaming them for Trump. reddit seems to be turning a blind-eye to an extreme amount of astro-turfing. chris poole from 4chan just bailed lol.

if you mean 4chan creator, he was snipe hired by google to fix google+

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

let's spend money to make our thing more like 4chan

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if you mean 4chan creator, he was snipe hired by google to fix google+

lol thats equal parts sad and funny

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

let's spend money to make our thing more like 4chan

hey, you don't argue with success. they elected a president, to hear them tell it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
moot was a pity hire. he was still living with his mom

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he should bunk with notch

it'd be like the odd couple for virulent shitheels

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Maximum Leader posted:

lol thats equal parts sad and funny

somehow wouldn't surprise me if google is paying him $1mm+/yr just to sit on his rear end, keep quiet, and not work for anybody else

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it seems like there must be cheaper ways to keep moot from ever working again

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

infernal machines posted:

it seems like there must be cheaper ways to keep moot from ever working again

:frogon:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ylitvinenko/status/955165515042971653

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
im the jaz cartridge

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Where's my SuperDisk icon?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm gratified to know that someone somewhere remembers magneto-optical cartridges

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
needs more syquest carts

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

infernal machines posted:

i'm gratified to know that someone somewhere remembers magneto-optical cartridges

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

huge if true

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

needs more syquest carts

syquest was the best because if you worked the eject controls in the wrong order it would permanently destroy the media and probably the drive heads too

bernoulli was smart enough to not allow you to eject it until the disk had stopped spinning

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Where's my SuperDisk icon?

in hell where it belongs

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PleasureKevin posted:

This is a good post pleasure Kevin, I'm proud of you

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://majornelson.com/2018/01/23/xbox-game-pass-expands-to-include-new-releases-from-microsoft-studios/

they are giving away their whole exclusive lineup on monthly subscription

cis autodrag posted:

This is a good post pleasure Kevin, I'm proud of you

this means a lot to me

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

going forward anyway, not retroactively, at least not yet (could see that being an e3 surprise though)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

PleasureKevin posted:

"oh jeez that's proven to be a toxic formula", they see "that's proven to uh 'drive engagement'"

love too engage

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
and that's actually true too, and also applies to news comments. let's promote the most "controversial" or "interesting" comment automatically to the top, where it sits with practically the same visibility as the news article, where people have a chance to get extremely mad at it and then want to reply to it. later the same people return to the page to see if their sick burns have gotten any upvotes, and you can serve them another batch of ads. :homebrew:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the counterargument right there is that very few news outlets have comments fields anymore, i'd buy that there may be a real backlash and rethinking coming. it is not like the poo poo e.g. facebook gets up to benefits any really vested interests, as their advertising business is mostly driven by bottomfeeders which are unlikely to have connections, so they could very well get smacked down in one way or another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cool, all, like, ten games