Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tokyo's kinda big...

I stayed at a business hotel across the street from the Tokyo Dome in August, and it was ~9000 yen/night with breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah with the ridiculous scale of the place it is difficult as gently caress to figure out exactly where we'd want to stay without knowing where we want to go from there I guess.

We are pretty poo poo at hotel shopping to be honest, I've just taken another run at it and found somewhere exactly the same price as the place in Edogawa but about a 15 minute walk from the Tokyo Dome as far as nearby landmarks go.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh I forgot to give the name, Richmond Hotel @ Suidobashi.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, go with a business hotel. The rooms are just small enough that you and your wife may have trouble storing suitcases or maneuvering around each other, but the amenities and the price are nice enough to make up for that. If you really want to stretch your yen stay in Shitamatchi or someplace like that - it'll be about 20 minutes by train from the city center - but you can probably stay closer to the action without breaking your budget.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dormy inn is a decent budget chain. It's clean and convenient enough.

Some of them even have a bath at the top floor.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Teeny tiny rooms aren't a problem, we won't be hanging out in the room at any point so as long as we aren't talking "there is literally no floorspace in here because it's for people stopping for an incredibly short amount of time so your suitcases live in the bed with you" tiny it's cool.

In Osaka we had a room where we basically had enough space to stand our suitcases in a corner and squeeze past them every time we wanted to walk around the bottom of the bed instead of step over it, no issues.

Phone posted:

Oh I forgot to give the name, Richmond Hotel @ Suidobashi.

They don't seem to have any dates available (at any time, so maybe it's just broken?), too popular to get into for two whole weeks apparently. Thanks for looking out though!

VVVVVV I've just sent in a query with their contact form, thanks.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 12, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Japanese hotel booking software is a huge pain in the rear end. The Japanese site only allows up to July, and there's availability from what I can see.

Maybe shoot then an email or something?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I like Hokke Club in Asakusa, it's cheap, clean and close to the subway. Breakfast is very expensive though if you want that.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Get breakfast at a convenience store instead, their packaged meals are actually fit for human consumption.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah we ate a bunch of random poo poo from 7/11 whenever we didn't feel like finding a restaurant for various meals last time so we already have that scouted out.

They had slices of this cake that was made of like 16-17 layers of really thin cakes which was loving incredible, no idea what it was but god drat what a nice cake.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Could it have been a crepe cake?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Holy poo poo that's exactly it, now I know what to look for at home. Awesome.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you're thinking of booking a hotel in Tokyo for two weeks and day tripping to Osaka and beyond, don't do that. Get a hotel at your destination and enjoy not sitting on a train for 6 hours.
Mid-November should be perfect for pretty autumn leaves. There's no festivals I can think of.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Airbnb will get you a nicer place for less money in Tokyo and Osaka

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah if we go out as far as Osaka we'd book a hotel there for a couple of days. I dunno if we will, but there's plenty of Kyoto we didn't see the first time around so maybe we'd stay there instead.

prompt posted:

Airbnb will get you a nicer place for less money in Tokyo and Osaka

Isn't there some legal thing over Airbnb in Japan?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If so it's being ignored, they're everywhere and much better than hotels.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kinda, but it's definitely around. The problems were mostly about sharing apartment gate codes with groups of idiots, and noise from drunk and jetlagged people late at night.

The serious operators get a hotel license and do everything legally. Regular hotels will be closer to the station and drinking areas*

*Everywhere in Japan is a drinking area if you are drunk

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
For whatever reason there's a lot of very reasonably priced airbnbs in my neighborhood. https://www.airbnb.com/s/Higashi-Sh...&s_tag=Eq7tmv1L

Great location for getting around Tokyo, 2 subway lines (Fukutoshin and Oedo) and 15 minutes walk to Shinjuku station.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I didn't get in any actual trouble or anything, but at the Airbnb I used in somewhat off-the-beaten-path Kyoto, I got some real severe side-eye from all the Japanese people my 6'3" white rear end walked awkwardly by in the apartment building common areas. In the future I would only go with Abnb in the more central, downtown type areas where foreigner residents aren't such an oddity.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I live next to an apartment building-based AirBnB that got shut down. Foreigners live in this neighborhood; that is not the problem. Being forced to share a building with tourists treating it like a hotel is the problem. No one would knowingly sign a lease under those conditions.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If side eye from Japanese ppl is a problem you might want to reconsider visiting.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I’ve used over a dozen different Airbnb spots in Osaka alone and the biggest issue I’ve had is one room that was a bit chilly. Osaka hotels are all getting more expensive every year as the number of tourists increase. But I’ve reliably booked an Airbnb in Osaka as soon as a week before a trip there for under 8000¥ per night.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
A lot of friends have basically sworn off Osaka/Kyoto for the normal season due to its crowd.

That shouldn't completely from Kyoto... it's beautiful.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Hargrimm posted:

I didn't get in any actual trouble or anything, but at the Airbnb I used in somewhat off-the-beaten-path Kyoto, I got some real severe side-eye from all the Japanese people my 6'3" white rear end walked awkwardly by in the apartment building common areas. In the future I would only go with Abnb in the more central, downtown type areas where foreigner residents aren't such an oddity.

People in Kyoto look down on everyone who isn't from Kyoto. Don't worry about them.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Agreed about kyoto. Bunch of has been capital pricks who elevate poverty into culture.

My air bnb in Tokyo was alright but yeah I guess it was nice and cheap then again it depends on where you stay

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What happens if I have a SUICA or PASMO card and I try to exit a station where I never originally scanned it upon entering the station I started my journey at?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rip busy bee

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Busy Bee posted:

What happens if I have a SUICA or PASMO card and I try to exit a station where I never originally scanned it upon entering the station I started my journey at?

You set off the "GO SEE THE ATTENDANTS" alarm on the gate, and then either gaijin smash or talk to the attendants and hopefully give a better explanation of what happened (true or made-up) than the one you just gave us.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You'll have to say where you came from. Whether or not the station staff starts asking questions depends on the situation.

Had a friend get fined 6000 yen one time since he couldn't prove anything. Legally they're allowed to charge you up to 3x what the real fare is, and if they can't determine where you actually got on, it's 3x what it would be from the train's point of origin. If you try it with a commuter pass they can also charge you as though you did it every single day from the first day the pass was valid.

In Japanese it's called キセル乗車 btw

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Tokyo was fun. 8 days was barely enough to scratch the surface so I'll have to come back.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to Tokyo for 3 days in March. I don't really want to exchange a lot of cash because of the length of my stay but I do know Japan is still very cash centric. I realize I'm going to need to exchange some cash to eat out or drink. That said, can I buy a travelcard with a credit or debit card? What about museums and the like?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

birds posted:

I'm going to Tokyo for 3 days in March. I don't really want to exchange a lot of cash because of the length of my stay but I do know Japan is still very cash centric. I realize I'm going to need to exchange some cash to eat out or drink. That said, can I buy a travelcard with a credit or debit card? What about museums and the like?

Not true since 3 years ago, when they moved their credit card systems to sync with international ones.

But, grab cash from an ATM.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Make sure that your debit card has the Cirrus or Plus network, call up your bank and tell them that you're going overseas, and swing by a 7-Eleven or a Japan Post.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Sup Japan goons. I'm thinking about coming back for a visit in a few months and since I had a 3-year VISA it's still active until October of this year. It's an Instructor Visa, can I just come back over using that or do I need to get a different one because I'm just coming for vacation?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Do you still have your residence card? I think the re-entry allowance is a year after departure, regardless of how long your visa was initially valid for.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Will you be exceeding the normal tourist visa 90 day stay? Your work visa might have lapsed but you can still renew a tourist at immigration? or do a visa run to Korea.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Is there any compelling reason not to enter on a tourist visa?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Uh, if you never canceled your visa, you have a big tax bill waiting for you.

E: I guess it’s possible you reported your departure with your city office and settled up with them, but then didn’t surrender your residence card at immigration for some reason.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 24, 2018

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Hey goons, I'll be travelling in to Japan for the first time this spring from Seoul in a group of 4. We'll be in for a week, and were thinking of doing 3 nights in Osaka (day tripping to Kyoto and Nara on D2 and D3) and 3 nights in Tokyo. Does that sound like a decent split, or would it be better to cut days from one to add to the other? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's p good buddy and you can always come back again easily.