Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It always comes back to Armond White

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Logan got nominated for best adapted screenplay. Not sure what it was adapted from though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's still adapted from the comic books even if it doesn't directly lift from any one comic book storyline.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The main movies writer on Forbes has an article up already arguing that Wonder Woman was robbed of a Best Picture nomination because it was one of the movies that defined 2017.

Logan getting the aforementioned Adapted Screenplay nomination notwithstanding, obviously no big studio superhero movie is going to be seen as worthy of the top categories by the Academy any time soon (it's been 10 years now since Heath Ledger won Best Supporting Actor), but did Wonder Woman deserve it?

I haven't seen enough of the other nominees (which the BBC informs me are Call Me By Your Name, Darkest Hour
Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, The Post, The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri) to assess how Wonder Woman stacks up against them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'd say no.

edit: It's better than Shakespeare in Love so whatever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

The main movies writer on Forbes has an article up already arguing that Wonder Woman was robbed of a Best Picture nomination because it was one of the movies that defined 2017.

Logan getting the aforementioned Adapted Screenplay nomination notwithstanding, obviously no big studio superhero movie is going to be seen as worthy of the top categories by the Academy any time soon (it's been 10 years now since Heath Ledger won Best Supporting Actor), but did Wonder Woman deserve it?

I haven't seen enough of the other nominees (which the BBC informs me are Call Me By Your Name, Darkest Hour
Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, The Post, The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri) to assess how Wonder Woman stacks up against them.

Don't worry, I doubt all the Academy voters will see all the films before voting either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The adapted vs. original thing is pretty much decided on a case by case basis, but if you're using pre-existing characters you're going to get adapted every time even if the plot is wholly original.

Also all sequels are automatically adapted screenplays and Logan is technically a sequel to the other movies, even if it's like an alternate timeline.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was a movie that was on par with your average Thor (outside Ragnarok), down to the great acting by the main character, the fun sidekick of the love interest, boring villain and average story. That's outstanding for DC, but Oscar material? No, sorry, I don't see it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Keep in mind that Forbes is a blogging platform for hot rear end takes and doesn't have any real editorial oversight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wonder Woman is fine but it's not some prestige film that should be considered for Oscars

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They could only throw one pity nomination for comic book movies and they gave it to Logan. That's fine.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wonder Woman is fine but it's not some prestige film that should be considered for Oscars

Well, neither was Academy Awards Winner Suicide Squad and yet

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samuringa posted:

Genre films win technical Oscars all the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I really don't get this argument every time it comes up.

Something can have merit on one level even if it's trash on others. An Academy Award is and never has been a sign of overall quality. You could have the worst movie ever made and one actor still gives a stellar performance or you can have a forgettable trash movie that has amazing visuals and special effects. Being nominated for a technical award is not the same as being nominated for best picture.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Samuringa posted:

That was a technical award it absolutely qualified for though

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

They could only throw one pity nomination for comic book movies and they gave it to Logan. That's fine.

GotG2 has a couple visual nominations

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Three more weeks for Black Panther and i am HYPE.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/855138278047141889

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rhyno posted:

Three more weeks for Black Panther and i am HYPE.

But I want that poo poo now!

But for real though have you guys seen the toy line! The mask is better than any previous ones, the light-up claws are cooler than any Iron Man/Hulk hands, obviously the Shuri blasters awesome for multiple reasons, even the budget claws are badass.

I am worried that all the bomb-rear end BP merch is relegated to a back end cap where they usually stick clearance while there's a giant empty section labeled "Infinity War: coming soon" but the Meijer I go to is out in Whiteville U.S.A. so...you know.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 23, 2018

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty rare for movie merchandise to secure shelf space at three weeks out unless it's aiming for a kid-centric audience or otherwise toyetic in nature (like the transformers movie toys) so to even see it out this early I'd a sign of at least some confidence.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I am worried that all the bomb-rear end BP merch is relegated to a back end cap where they usually stick clearance while there's a giant empty section labeled "Infinity War: coming soon" but the Meijer I go to is out in Whiteville U.S.A. so...you know.

It looks like Wakanda will play a fairly major part in Infinity War so worst case they'll probably slap some slightly different paint on the leftovers and put them right back out

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I was at Target the other day, and not only were the BP toys front and center where everyone would be seeing them, but they were sold out of almost all of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not even how they meet!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Jamesman posted:

I was at Target the other day, and not only were the BP toys front and center where everyone would be seeing them, but they were sold out of almost all of it.

Good. I haven't been to any of the Meijers/Targets near Detroit lately (I work in the sticks) but I imagine they have a better display.

Seriously, those claws are some of the coolest toys I've ever seen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Decius posted:

It was a movie that was on par with your average Thor (outside Ragnarok), down to the great acting by the main character, the fun sidekick of the love interest, boring villain and average story. That's outstanding for DC, but Oscar material? No, sorry, I don't see it.

It was a decent movie, but I feel like 90 percent of the hype was “first female superhero movie that wasn’t Catwoman” and “first DC movie that wasn’t unwatchable garbage”. I enjoyed it, but the pacing was a bit crap, and the third act went off the rails.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Logan is the same way, except I guess not all the X-Men movies were bad.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wonder Woman was a perfectly good action movie with a better than usual message and a really uneven third act, but those don't normally get best picture nominations, and I'm not sure why anyone would think they would. An action movie has to really, really hit it out of the park to get considered, either in terms of unusually large audience impact (LotR, Avatar) or just, y'know, being totally balls to the wall excellent (Mad Max: Fury Road), and Wonder Woman wasn't really either.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Logan is the same way, except I guess not all the X-Men movies were bad.

I’m gonna disagree here. Logan’s pacing felt more “deliberate” than “slow at the beginning, speed up frantically, slam the brakes, speed up to get to the third act where a bunch of CGI stuff happens as someone else reenacts the ending of Cap 1”.

Logan also had some real emotional heft to it. Some of it is that it’s an ending to some really long running character arcs, but everything had a kind of resigned finality to it. Things were winding down for everyone on the screen: the end of the mutants, Wolverine is losing his ability to heal, the family they stay with is losing their home and business, and the Professor is becoming old and senile. Professor X’s dementia patient stuff was also handled really realistically, which was... depressing. The action scenes had a real element of visceral horror to them, too. It was a movie that really wanted to make you uncomfortable and succeeded. I saw Logan before I went in for a night shift and regretted I didn’t give myself time to take a walk or something afterwards. Wonder Woman was kind of standard superhero stuff and none of it really stuck with me.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Do awards consider social impact when nominating films?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Haven't seen WW but from what I can gather it seems like Captain America levels of good. Is that about right?

BP looks like the hype though. Anxiously awaiting old conservatives having a fit over its success.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Haven't seen WW but from what I can gather it seems like Captain America levels of good. Is that about right?

BP looks like the hype though. Anxiously awaiting old conservatives having a fit over its success.

People keep saying the third act is the problem but it's really just the finale of the 3rd act, 10 or 15 minutes of the end.

First Avenger is just incredibly boring from about when Bucky 'dies'.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty much. Like if it came out in the early 2000s it would have been really great, but in 2017 it's just good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The first half or so of the first avenger, before he gets the serum are great.

the "Do you want to kill nazi's" and the grenade scenes rule. It made me breath a sigh of relief that they weren't going with the ultimate cap version.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
on one hand, the oscars are just a mostly just a bunch of gladhanding between friends anyways and shouldnt hold the weight that they do, i mean lets be real get out is only getting noms because people are screaming at the academy to be less blatantly racist in their ballot casting and tbh i would be surprised if the movie or peele actually wins one

on the other, ww doesnt deserve an award cuz its just a mid-tier superhero movie. maybe give it like some honorary thing for like first female led hero movie that made all the women cry with joy in the theater award or something lol

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

site posted:

...i would be surprised if the movie or peele actually wins one

I hope it sweeps due to white guilt.

If we're going to take the Oscars serious the nominations should start reflecting the opinions of a wider swath of the public. I'm not saying that Fast & Furiouses should start ranking necessarily but obvious Oscar bait like the Phantom Thread probably shouldn't be such a shoe in if nobody saw it.

I guess that's what the MTV movie awards was supposed to be about? I still don't know.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sgt. Politeness posted:

If we're going to take the Oscars serious the nominations should start reflecting the opinions of a wider swath of the public. I'm not saying that Fast & Furiouses should start ranking necessarily but obvious Oscar bait like the Phantom Thread probably shouldn't be such a shoe in if nobody saw it.

Remember when J.J. Abrams said he thought Mark Hamill deserved to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor for The Last Jedi?

To be honest, I don't think I can say he didn't.

Alec Guinness was nominated in the same category for A New Hope back in 1978.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like Hamill but I think Alec Guinness was a touch more talented as an actor.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

^^^^^^Yeah but he pretty much phoned it in

Wheat Loaf posted:

Alec Guinness was nominated in the same category for A New Hope back in 1978.
Slow year for supporting actors.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 23, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Good. I haven't been to any of the Meijers/Targets near Detroit lately (I work in the sticks) but I imagine they have a better display.

Seriously, those claws are some of the coolest toys I've ever seen.

If I stop by Wal Mart one 12 mile after work, I'll give a trip report. BP should do gangbusters around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Do awards consider social impact when nominating films?

Definitely, sometimes. James Cameron's Avatar scored a best picture nomination, and it certainly wasn't for the quality of the acting or the script. Movies that become social phenomenons tend to get Oscars even when other films in the same genre, even quality films, don't.

• Locked thread