Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Late October as well, so really 2 months + 4 days. Which has AC:O, in terms of pure sales per month, doing more than 4 times as well as Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Jesus christ, it sold horribly. Nier outsold it by 100k, that's crazy.

It is really heartwarming that basically everyone who plays it comes in this thread and goes "wow this game is freaking good" though. Cult hit I guess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Guess they shouldn't have called the third System Shock "Prey"

This game has such great level design and I'll be sad if it's the last in a line of great Shock/Thieflikes Arkane made.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If anything the poor sales are true to its roots, both System Shock games sold rather poorly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm pretty sure all "immersive Sims" have sold poorly other than Bioshock which I hate, so it's amazing they kept getting made, not that I mind

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm pretty sure all "immersive Sims" have sold poorly other than Bioshock which I hate, so it's amazing they kept getting made, not that I mind

Dishonored 1 sold well, and Dishonored 2 sold okay. Human Revolution was also a success.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Thanks for reminding me of how badly Squenix torpedoed Mankind Divided.

It's not just Prey's lack of success that worries me, it's the lack of success from all recent immsimms.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bethesda are terrible at marketing their games. Bad at completing them too, Prey was apparently pretty buggy at launch as is everything else they release. They really need to work on their QA, it's been pathetic for decades.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The bad reviews from pissy journalists angry at not getting ARCs I suspect hurt a lot. Three guys I know parroted at me comments from those reviews how it was boring and nothing new or interesting

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
500k is not really "bad" sales, it's just fairly average PC sales for things that aren't super popular.

Like, Resident Evil 7 for example. 4 million sales total. 600k on PC. Most of the sales were on the consoles, not the PC.

Nier Automata is past 2 million. It's at 600k on PC.

Dishonored 2 hit 900k, but averaged about 1.5-2 million total sales with consoles added. Immersive Sims don't seem to be very popular on consoles for whatever reason. It's currently got 900k owners on Steam so I imagine it's near/nearing 2 million total sales.

Dishonored 1 passing 3-5 million copies was an outlier, not a norm. Even then PC barely hit 1 million of those sales.

Prey is probably sitting around 1.5-2 million copies sold total with consoles added. It's just a question of how Bethesda budgeted for it that determines how it did. If they Squeenixed it up and blew all their money Tomb Raider style it's not going to be profitable. But if they built it on a budget ( like Dishonored 1.....and Dishonored 2.....and all the other Arkane games since they seem to work pretty well with lower then average budgets. ) it probably did fine/just below expectations.

I doubt it'll be a new IP, but it's not like Bethesda is going to lay off the whole team and can Immersive Sims. We'll hear about it's DLC during E3, and it'll probably be very similar to DotO, where they took what DLC they were originally going to make for the game and turned it into a Standalone Product to try and separate it from the games initial launch/whatever. In a few years we'll likely see them pull the IP back to try it again.

The bigger worry I have is for Wolf 2. It's at around 400k right now. Which given a years worth of sales will probably? hopefully hit 600k/800k total so we can see Wolf 3. Still didn't really launch to the reception I think they were expecting, and I doubt it's sales are what they were expecting either. Prey likely gets a pretty solid pass because it didn't really have a marketing campaign and was likely billed underbudget. Wolf had all of Bethesda's marketing budget and came in very likely under.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Copies sold is kind of a misleading metric as well since only a fraction of those were probably bought at full price.

I doubt we would ever know the true value, but I'm curious what a game like Prey actually costs to make.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Prey was in development hell for years and years, it would figure that requirements for qualified success would be high.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rookersh posted:

I doubt it'll be a new IP, but it's not like Bethesda is going to lay off the whole team and can Immersive Sims.

I think the reason a lot of people in this thread are so worried though is that Raphael Colantonio left Arkane to "Spend more time with his family" shortly after Prey came out. Could that sincerely be due to the fact that the game had a stressful development and he's decided to get out of the business while he can? Sure. But that exact phrase is also often code for, "I'm being forced out because someone higher up is not happy with me."

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I'd argue it's more code for "i'm not telling you", which could range from 'i'm loving bored with designing games and want to play golf' to 'my co-worker bob is a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I can't take it anymore' to 'I've seen the books and the studio is going to fold within two years". Not being a pedant, just saying that even as code isn't doesn't have to indicate anything wrong at Arkane.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think they keep getting made because one of the groups that actually loves them is game designers.

hampig fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 26, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I play this game on ps4

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Right so I finally got this game for disgustingly cheap and I feel badly because it's been really great so far. It's exactly what I'd wanted Bioshock to be -- in fact, it's frankly a game I'm sort of surprised doesn't already exist, it feels like this concept was possible years ago. But whatever, it's been great.

But I'm hitting a bit of a snag. Mostly 'cause I've been exploring like crazy, I went wandering down into Life Support just to see what was down there. it was death. My problem is, I'm hurting for firepower. I ended up back in the GUTS and now I'm sort of trapped with a Weaver outside and I'm low on medkits and ammo. There's a Thermal Phantom downstairs guarding a fabricator and recycler, but even if I get to them I'm hurting for materials.

I've been avoiding all of the Typhon Neuromod upgrades, so I have super strength and hacking but nothing fancier. I need some better weapons -- is there a flamethrower or something I can find, or any further offensive upgrade? With Telepaths and Weavers showing up all over the place, my shotgun is becoming a bit of a liability due to its range.

In terms of the main quest, I'm basically finishing up collecting Danielle's voice samples. No idea how far that is progress-wise. This game is really good, particularly with how it helps you believe that there really was a living crew on this station until quite recently.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Right so I finally got this game for disgustingly cheap and I feel badly because it's been really great so far. It's exactly what I'd wanted Bioshock to be -- in fact, it's frankly a game I'm sort of surprised doesn't already exist, it feels like this concept was possible years ago. But whatever, it's been great.

But I'm hitting a bit of a snag. Mostly 'cause I've been exploring like crazy, I went wandering down into Life Support just to see what was down there. it was death. My problem is, I'm hurting for firepower. I ended up back in the GUTS and now I'm sort of trapped with a Weaver outside and I'm low on medkits and ammo. There's a Thermal Phantom downstairs guarding a fabricator and recycler, but even if I get to them I'm hurting for materials.

I've been avoiding all of the Typhon Neuromod upgrades, so I have super strength and hacking but nothing fancier. I need some better weapons -- is there a flamethrower or something I can find, or any further offensive upgrade? With Telepaths and Weavers showing up all over the place, my shotgun is becoming a bit of a liability due to its range.

In terms of the main quest, I'm basically finishing up collecting Danielle's voice samples. No idea how far that is progress-wise. This game is really good, particularly with how it helps you believe that there really was a living crew on this station until quite recently.

Not sure if I'm pulling a :thejoke: here or what but both Bioshock and Prey are based on System Shock (moreso System Shock 2 I guess), which came out in 1994 (99 for SS2). So... yeah, it's been possible for a little while.

Offense wise there are neuromod skills that buff all your weapon damage, and also neuromods for letting you upgrade your weapons more extensively, and you're definitely going to want to max those out if you're going the no Typhon route. Combat Focus is also a human ability and is pretty much the most OP ability in the game, so that's a good choice. Don't feel obligated to avoid Typhon mods unless you really want to because there is little to no payoff at the end for doing so. Use the stun gun, it annihilates anything mechanical and will allow you to stun organics long enough to turn them into red mist with the shotgun quite easily. If you missed it search Neuromod division thoroughly, there's a couple in there. There is no flamethrower but there is a beam weapon to be found in various places. Check in the beam lab (Hardware division, the place you got the jetpack), the living quarters (the chef quest chain), or GUTS (use security terminals to find a somewhat hidden corpse).

I'm going to say the voice samples are about a third of the way into the main quest? Maybe less than that. You've got a long ways to go. Take your time and explore.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

I'm going to say the voice samples are about a third of the way into the main quest? Maybe less than that. You've got a long ways to go. Take your time and explore.

Oh man, I've still got a ways to go and I'm running out of things to put points in on my first run, doing human only. Thing is I'm playing on hard and I'm pretty much invincible already. I sneak up to nightmares and just shotgun them down. Put like 20 hours in already. Maybe I'm going a bit too slow on the main quest. :v:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

This game blew me away. I'd heard loads of negative stuff about it and people hatin' on it, but I was hooked and blew through it cos I couldn't get enough.

I think one of my favorite parts was when when gravity goes out in the Arboretum and Alex starts to float off, you could leave him there, but I grabbed him and without thinking about it, pulled him into his safe room and closed the door. I never even realised it was a thing the game would recognise, but it did and when Alex thanked me and the game acknowledged my action I was like :drat:

I sincerely hope the team working on the actual SS3 is taking notes because goddamn.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA: get typhon neuromods

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

One of the few things I will fault Prey for is how it handles Typhon mods. They're super fun, really change how you play the game, and for me, made it a lot more enjoyable to switch things up, so I had options for how I approached any situation with a mix of human/Typhon mods. Almost everyone I see play for the first time though decides that because the game suggests a few times Bad Things will happen if you install them, they never try out most of the coolest abilities in the game; which is weird, since most of the gameplay loop for Prey is, "Here, have these awesome tools; now use them however you want!"

I would be okay if there were a much more negative consequence to installing alien mods to justify all the warnings, or if the warnings were tempered by a different character telling you conflicting information saying no it's fine, or something; but the way it is now you're warned off the mods for no real consequence later.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

aniviron posted:

I would be okay if there were a much more negative consequence to installing alien mods to justify all the warnings, or if the warnings were tempered by a different character telling you conflicting information saying no it's fine, or something; but the way it is now you're warned off the mods for no real consequence later.

IMHO the designers intended there to be a strong risk/reward mechanic and themes of "becoming an alien/inhuman" with that choice but its sketched out rather than really explored. My guess is they had to cut possible branching paths or endings based on taking the powers.

Personally I really liked it. I was constantly tempted to take the Typhon powers but I was scared about turning myself into a gross alien so I didn't do it. The tension was cool and helped me anticipate a replay when I would use them. I realize I'm an edge case though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Well, there's also a trophy for not taking any Typhon powers.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

...! posted:

Well, there's also a trophy for not taking any Typhon powers.

Oh goody.

I'm not taking any, although the way I'm playing the game there's no real reason Morgan wouldn't -- just that I don't wanna have turrets turn against me, I prefer using them on the bad guys when I don't have much ammo to spare.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

aniviron posted:

One of the few things I will fault Prey for is how it handles Typhon mods. They're super fun, really change how you play the game, and for me, made it a lot more enjoyable to switch things up, so I had options for how I approached any situation with a mix of human/Typhon mods. Almost everyone I see play for the first time though decides that because the game suggests a few times Bad Things will happen if you install them, they never try out most of the coolest abilities in the game; which is weird, since most of the gameplay loop for Prey is, "Here, have these awesome tools; now use them however you want!"

I don't think that's really a fault, allowing the player to make meaningful choices with consequences is kind of the point of the entire game design.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's kind of what I said though- I feel like right now, there aren't any meaningful choices to take typhon powers or not. You get turrets turning hostile and one different line in the ending which is nothing. That's not a meaningful choice to not take typhon powers.

So like I said in the post you quoted, I'd rather either have the choice actually be meaningful, or not have it at all.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It also increases Nightmare encounters I believe?

I guess if you're playing the game purely for the mechanics then you'd probably wouldn't get a whole lot out of it, but if you're playing to take part in creating a story then those kinds of choices do have meaning beyond the audio clips the game feeds you as a reward.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

aniviron posted:

That's something Arcane does, with the chaos system in the Dishonoreds they also discourage players from having fun with the combat and lethal powers. It's great if you like it so much to replay it but most people don't even finish games, right? It's a weakness in their design *~*philosophy*~*.

Another negative about this wonderful game is how many obstacles have too many solutions available, so I end up feeling foolish about feeling smart earlier when I discover the fifth solution to the same problem, when it seems almost every thing you have or can do works. For example the broken panels that shoot electricity, you can glue them, shoot the stun gun at them, grenade them, repair them, what else? I think you can also turn the power off in some areas. Maybe use the slow time power that ruins every game where it's not the main mechanic, to walk past it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Oh goody.

I'm not taking any, although the way I'm playing the game there's no real reason Morgan wouldn't -- just that I don't wanna have turrets turn against me, I prefer using them on the bad guys when I don't have much ammo to spare.

If you take Hacking you can hack hostile turrets and they'll go back to reading you as human, but not any other Typhon.

SwissCM posted:

It also increases Nightmare encounters I believe?

It does, but if you're getting high on that sweet alien eyeball juice, you're also capable of wrestling a nightmare face-first into the recycler and turning it into more neuromods in about ten seconds.

loga mira posted:

Another negative about this wonderful game is how many obstacles have too many solutions available, so I end up feeling foolish about feeling smart earlier when I discover the fifth solution to the same problem, when it seems almost every thing you have or can do works. For example the broken panels that shoot electricity, you can glue them, shoot the stun gun at them, grenade them, repair them, what else?

what

quote:

I think you can also turn the power off in some areas. Maybe use the slow time power that ruins every game where it's not the main mechanic, to walk past it?

No, they still gently caress you up pretty badly if you try that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The true hard mode is not taking any human powers, doing the game without the basic survivability powers like "health packs heal more" is a nightmare.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

loga mira posted:

That's something Arcane does, with the chaos system in the Dishonoreds they also discourage players from having fun with the combat and lethal powers. It's great if you like it so much to replay it but most people don't even finish games, right? It's a weakness in their design *~*philosophy*~*.

Another negative about this wonderful game is how many obstacles have too many solutions available, so I end up feeling foolish about feeling smart earlier when I discover the fifth solution to the same problem, when it seems almost every thing you have or can do works. For example the broken panels that shoot electricity, you can glue them, shoot the stun gun at them, grenade them, repair them, what else? I think you can also turn the power off in some areas. Maybe use the slow time power that ruins every game where it's not the main mechanic, to walk past it?

Having multiple solutions to the same problem is a huge positive and is kind of the entire point of immersive sims.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Turrets you have hacked or built will never turn against you, and one of the typhon powers lets you not only take over turrets with a wave of your hand but also corrupted operators.

The much harder trophy is for only taking typhon powers though.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Space electricity.

...! posted:

Having multiple solutions to the same problem is a huge positive and is kind of the entire point of immersive sims.

It's too many immediately available similar solutions, use a thing on a thing. It reduces the satisfaction of overcoming an obstacle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The true hard mode is not taking any human powers, doing the game without the basic survivability powers like "health packs heal more" is a nightmare.

My last two playthroughs of the game were without any human powers, and not being able to increase my inventory size was very frustrating and made those human powers so tempting.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I imagine typhon-only with limited psi pool is frustrating too.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
fully upgraded shotgun :getin:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I still think the fully upraded qbeam is better. Love me that sniping and the fact that enemies explode when you getem.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

aniviron posted:

The first thing would undermine the entire game though, because the whole point is what you do, not what you are.

hampig fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 27, 2018

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I loved using turrets as a way to soften up enemies and save ammo, but they pissed me off in multiple ways; they were piss easy to knock out, either through destruction or knocking them over, or when in the GUTS, you can find a couple but you can't actually orient them. If you place one in zero gravity, they face a wall and are useless unless you nudge it to try and orient it.

I kind of found it funny that the designers acknowledge this by them literally saying things like "tilt correction... error" but it doesn't stop it from being a frustrating experience. Turrets are much less of a useful tool unless you fortify them, requiring both spare parts and a big investment in repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

uh... you can freely rotate objects you are holding i am pretty sure