Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

learnincurve posted:

you can understand how 20 colonists setting up on their own would have a bad time .

Other way round in some places. The farmers didn't form villages, they formed homesteads. A single family sets up all alone, with their nearest neighbour a couple miles down the road. The nearest settlement with a store and a post office and stuff could be more than 20 miles away. They were completely on their own for most things, no one would hear them scream for help if there was trouble, and it might be weeks before anyone noticed they hadn't seen them in a while and came over to check on them. Living the libertarian dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Other way round in some places. The farmers didn't form villages, they formed homesteads. A single family sets up all alone, with their nearest neighbour a couple miles down the road. The nearest settlement with a store and a post office and stuff could be more than 20 miles away. They were completely on their own for most things, no one would hear them scream for help if there was trouble, and it might be weeks before anyone noticed they hadn't seen them in a while and came over to check on them. Living the libertarian dream.

If that settlement 20 miles away was big enough to have some proper amenities then that's pretty much my dream. I long for my dog-gnawed bones to be found in my home in the middle of a forest.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think that house has great bones, but the decorating is atrocious.

Not sold on the banisters and kitchen cabinets either, but otherwise, yeah, I think it rocks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I see this coming from urban people but have you considered that it's a matter of perspective? From my perspective it's the opposite. I think it's so nice to have a house, to have a yard that I can do things on my time, on my conditions, to have space, peace and quiet, nature is nearby, the kids are always playing outside during the summers. I enjoy this. To live in silence, to see the stars at the night, to live in a smaller, closer society that moves at a slower pace. Maybe this is depressing to you.

I do note that the examples of things to do seem to be things urban people do, so basically the problem seems to be from an urban persons perspective that you can't do the usual stuff you do in town in a low density population area. This is of course true. You don't live in the same way here. People out here tend to have other hobbies and interests, I have a workshop for instance, and now during winters there's a lot of skiing and snow sports going on, in summers and autumns we go into the forests and pick berries to freeze or make jams and jellies for the winter (we don't buy store jam). To be honest around here there's always something happening, local events and groups, people to talk to, visiting the beach, there's more stuff you can do than there is time for so we don't feel bored, right now it's all hectic.

That's pretty much exactly it. I'll drive ten minutes to get to the grocery store if it means I can have a few hundred square feet of garden and run power tools at all hours of the night without bothering the neighbors.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

That's pretty much exactly it. I'll drive ten minutes to get to the grocery store if it means I can have a few hundred square feet of garden and run power tools at all hours of the night without bothering the neighbors.

This was pretty much my childhood, and dealing with the increasing density from expanding suburbs was interesting.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

We're trying to decide what kind of laminate we're going to use for our bedrooms and frankly I'm overwhelmed. There is existing tile that will butt up against the flooring, so we want to make sure that it doesn't completely clash. This was selected at the recommendation of the person doing the installation, my wife likes it, but I have no clue if I like it or not. The carpet is almost 40 years old at this point so it has to go. What do you folks think of this combo?

The more I look at it, the more I want to go a shade darker on the laminate...

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 23, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kimcicle posted:

We're trying to decide what kind of laminate we're going to use for our bedrooms and frankly I'm overwhelmed. There is existing tile that will butt up against the flooring, so we want to make sure that it doesn't completely clash. This was selected at the recommendation of the person doing the installation, my wife likes it, but I have no clue if I like it or not. The carpet is almost 40 years old at this point so it has to go. What do you folks think of this combo?

The more I look at it, the more I want to go a shade darker on the laminate...

As someone who's spent the last 3 months staring at flooring options.. I can't help either really, it's a shitshow.

I think I agree with you on the darker comment, but don't get hyperfocused on the join between the two surfaces when the flooring will interact with many other parts of the room too (walls, doors, furniture).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You can always slap a transition strip between two bits of flooring to help create a visual break.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can always slap a transition strip between two bits of flooring to help create a visual break.

In fact you're going to want to unless both the tile and laminate installer are absolutely poo poo hot.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Second going a little darker, but otherwise it looks good. Sounds like you're well into choice-overwhlem, so if your wife likes it and you don't hate then just go with it. The better choice isn't out there.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

there wolf posted:

Second going a little darker, but otherwise it looks good. Sounds like you're well into choice-overwhlem, so if your wife likes it and you don't hate then just go with it. The better choice isn't out there.

And not in the "Yes dear" way. There are plenty of times my wife has loved something and I've been okay with it, and vice versa, and we went with that. There's no perfect combo, 'good' should be good enough.

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 23, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Looking for any sort of design advice here.

This house was built in 2017 but IMO looks like they just dusted off some plans from 2006 and built it. We loved the lot and the neighborhood (and the floorplan, mostly) enough that we didn't care but the house is in pretty desperate need of a little wow factor. We're definitely going to get rid of the carpet for (hopefully) full thickness hardwood and I'd also like to do something about the small/boring/cheap fireplace surround. And we might as well do both at the same time since they adjoin each other.

I think the cheap option would be to just yank out the (MDF?) surround and maybe do floor to ceiling stacked stone or tile with some more stone or tile on the floor. Not really sure what's popular right now.

The fireplace that's there is a decent one (at least it's better than my last one, in that it has an electronic igniter so you don't have to yank the front off and push the button over and over to light the pilot, and also it has bigger/nicer looking flames and puts out more heat).

I'm also thinking that maybe we should get rid of the little TV nook there, get one of those super wide but short fireplaces, and do a picture frame type TV above it. Maybe with some recessed shelving somewhere for electronics and maybe knickknacks. This would obviously be a lot more expensive.

This is a big room (living room and dining room and kitchen all adjoin) and this is the biggest part of the room because it kind of bumps out past the bathroom and then bumps out again for the foyer which is to the right of this pic, so I'd think it has the space it could tolerate something that otherwise might kind of dominate a smaller room. 9' ceilings, not sure if that matters.

This type of fireplace (in terms of rough proportions, not necessarily anything else):

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I’m not a huge fireplace fan so no real suggestions there (though I would do brick or tile all the way to the ceiling whatever you do), but I would highly recommend getting a built in set of cabinets/shelves for that recessed space. I’m guessing that’s why it’s there in the first place and a built in was a builder add-on for that floor plan but the buyers ran out of dough.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This is the kitchen of an $8 million Italianate LA mansion built in the 1930s that is otherwise unmolested. Full granite backsplash is not a good look.

The pantry was spared

As were the bathrooms

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My brain straight-up refuses to see that those bathroom pics are photos and not 1930s ad drawings.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

that pink tub is both hilarious and amazing

e: and yeah the backsplash is not good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fuckin :lol: that "Enjoy proximity to Trader Joe's" made it into the one paragraph description of the 1930s time capsule 8000 square foot mansion.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Maybe people who buy old mansions are really into last second Trader Joe's runs. Who are we to understand the motives of rich people?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like the long, strip fireplaces. They look good if you can split a room with them and have it visible from both sides of the wall.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Do those long gas fireplaces actually provide any heat in the room their in or are they just decorative?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

veiled boner fuel posted:

This house was built in 2017 but IMO looks like they just dusted off some plans from 2006 and built it.

I think the cheap option would be to just yank out the (MDF?) surround and maybe do floor to ceiling stacked stone or tile with some more stone or tile on the floor. Not really sure what's popular right now.

Never look for "what's popular now" because it'll look dated soon then you'll have to live with it or rip it out. This is the sort of thing Pinterest is actually good for, search fireplaces and surrounds until you find something you love, find something that fits your room shape. If you like those long thin gas fireplaces find pictures of them installed in rooms with your proportions.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Houzz also has many fancy pictures and is less annoying than Pinterest.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

8one6 posted:

Do those long gas fireplaces actually provide any heat in the room their in or are they just decorative?

Thy provide decent room heat but they’re mainly for direct heat, like sitting next to.

peanut posted:

Houzz also has many fancy pictures and is less annoying than Pinterest.

Just don’t buy anything from them. Half of their store is cheap knock-off poo poo.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 24, 2018

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

It depends. If you're referring to the ones with ceramic logs, the "ventless" ones generate a great deal of radiant heat due to their more efficient manner of burning fuel. That's why they are ventless; they burn hot enough and efficiently enough that there is allegedly only a low level of combustion gases released. The jury's still out regarding the resultant indoor air quality, and I think there are a couple of states in the U.S. that do not allow them in residential construction. They can heat up a good sized room quite well, but the flames aren't as pretty as the vented ones; in fact, the flames are generally blue and nearly invisible.

The ones that are vented have much prettier flames but give off less radiant heat. They are more cosmetic, but they are okay for supplemental heat in a cooler basement room, for example.

LOVE,
VITALIS

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

veiled boner fuel posted:

that pink tub is both hilarious and amazing

e: and yeah the backsplash is not good.
My house had a pink tub, sink, and toilet. I got rid of them in a remodel and the contractor asked if he could have the tub as someone he knew was looking for one :psyduck:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SubponticatePoster posted:

My house had a pink tub, sink, and toilet. I got rid of them in a remodel and the contractor asked if he could have the tub as someone he knew was looking for one :psyduck:

There's a website dedicated to documenting a preserving the pink bathroom. Having had one in an old apartment, I can kind of understand it. It's a very distinctive sign of the age of a place, in a way original hardwoods aren't.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

there wolf posted:

There's a website dedicated to documenting a preserving the pink bathroom. Having had one in an old apartment, I can kind of understand it. It's a very distinctive sign of the age of a place, in a way original hardwoods aren't.

My sister had one. She ended up having to sell the house before it could be replaced with something better, so we had to stage it while it was still pink. And very pink, as in tile, toilet, tub, everything. Here's how we decorated to deal with the pink:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

there wolf posted:

They were certainly distinctive. I hope the toilet/tub found good homes, the sink had a hole punctured in the rim and a crack in the bowl, though it didn't leak. Also the toilet took a good minute and a half to fill up, the new one takes about 15 seconds. When I removed an old lovely mirror from the back of the office door it took off layers of paint and one of them was a shade the same as the bathroom fixtures :barf: It's like archaeology but digging down through questionable design choices.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Mine was a classic pink and black from the fifties.

This palate, not this nice.

Ultimately we should all be grateful we never had to live with this

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

there wolf posted:

I'm still not sure what combination of collective insanity and drugs made anyone decide puke green was a good bathroom fixture color.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pink fixtures hide grime well, without being beige. Toto still offers tubs in pale pink and blue (sadly, green faded away in the 90s.)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Haifisch posted:

I'm still not sure what combination of collective insanity and drugs made anyone decide puke green was a good bathroom fixture color.
loving avocado man. I've seen appliances, toilets, paint, carpet, you name it in peavomit green.

Of course at the time this was in fashion, so was plaid polyester :shrug:

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

there wolf posted:

My first apartment had a lavender bathroom set. My second apartment had a turquoise bathroom set with bonus padded toilet seat. I miss them both in their own ways.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've seen some really nice avocado kitchens that were treated well and look very good because they maintain their original aesthetic qualities, and the same goes for pink bathrooms. My dad had a really nice blue and yellow one that was done up in the 30s and maintained ever since and it was just a good, serene space.

Avocado does not belong in a bathroom, however (mint, on the other hand...).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

I think it's actually that Easter yellow that was also big at the time. I'm hoping someone picked them up for free and there wasn't a deliberate choice to pair those fixtures with that room. But then again

this also has a yellow tub. Maybe it was a thing at some point?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I figured it was for recreating Piss Jesus Christ dot jpeg, but the The Shining aesthetic is a bit overpowering for it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You people disgust me

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

You people disgust me

we've noticed

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
The last apartment I lived in when I was in was in Mt. Airy had three bathrooms, all in different period tile. I think they were turquoise, pink, and yellow, with black trim. I'll have to see if I still have the walk through video at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

there wolf posted:

You are supposed to say: "I couldn´t live with that bathroom suite, it would have to go!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7Vx2uKIsg