Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arivia posted:

I thought it was in Gatineau?

No, he lives in Gatineau, but it was the strip club in the Byward Market, about 1km away from Parliament, where he was working.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/brazeau-confirms-hes-working-at-ottawas-barefax-strip-club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

I thought it was in Gatineau?

Nah, he was at Barefax, which is Ottawa.

That’s not to say he didn’t also spend a lot of time at Pigale’s.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847177

Hey ya'll. I made a canada thread in cspam if you want to come hang out and talk about this weird country we love without the fear of effort posts, capitalization, or various things considered un-chill. I remember LF had a pretty good canada thread community before it got closed down, and I know some of you still post here.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Trudeau did it!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-tpp-members-agree-to-revised-deal-without-the-u-s-1.3771458

quote:

OTTAWA -- Canada and the remaining members of the old Trans-Pacific Partnership agreed Tuesday to a revised trade agreement that will forge ahead without the United States, opening distant new markets at a time of uncertainty closer to home.
The deal comes exactly one year after U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew his country from the agreement, leaving Japan as the largest player in a new 11-nation pact that spans two hemispheres and includes both U.S. neighbours.
The agreement follows two days of high-level talks in Tokyo. The partners are now expected to work toward signing the agreement by early March.

"The agreement reached in Tokyo today is the right deal," Trudeau said in a speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
"Our government stood up for Canadian interests and this agreement meets our objectives."
Trudeau added that the deal is a new step on the path to ensuring the benefits of trade are shared by all citizens, not just the few.
Right up until the announcement, the Canadian government was pushing for more progress on negotiations surrounding the automotive and cultural sectors.

A government official said International Trade Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne pressed his counterparts for an exemption on culture-related elements that had been part of the original TPP deal. The official said Canada will protect its cultural sector in the updated deal through legally binding side letters with each partner.

The autos component risks being more controversial.
In a sector considered key to the deal, Canada managed to get a bilateral arrangement with Japan to resolve non-tariff barriers, including a binding dispute settlement mechanism, according to an official. The official said the side agreement brings into force key commitments made by Japan to Canada and the U.S. in the original deal, but which were lost when the U.S. pulled out.
The new deal also includes a bilateral agreement with Malaysia to adjust auto rules-of-origin and another agreement was being finalized with Australia, the official added.
But a major Canadian auto-parts association offered a scathing reaction.
Flavio Volpe of the Auto Parts Manufacturers' Association said this agreement moves Canada in the exact opposite direction of where its most important customer and powerful next-door neighbour is headed -- right in the midst of sensitive negotiations.
He said the U.S. is pushing for a new NAFTA that increases domestic content requirements, and keeps Chinese parts out of North America -- but the revamped TPP deal moves Canada and Mexico the opposite way, reducing local requirements and letting more product from non-TPP countries like China into the supply chain.
"This could not be a dumber move at a more important time," Volpe said in an interview.
He accused Champagne of chasing a legacy item, without regard for how it might affect the far more important NAFTA negotiations -- literally unfolding this week in Montreal: "We're trophy hunting," Volpe said.
Volpe added that Canada caved into countries that really wanted a deal, without extracting much new in return. He noted that trade with these countries pales in comparison with the U.S.: "New Zealand," he said sarcastically, naming one TPP country: "That huge market we've been waiting our entire lives to crack."
Jerry Dias, head of the union that represents Canadian auto workers, was equally critical.
"This isn't the kind of transparent governance Cdns were promised," the Unifor president tweeted. "Let's be clear, the TPP is the worst trade deal ever!"

Canada, the second-largest economy among the partners, was widely considered the main holdout in the negotiations to revive the pact -- rebranded last fall as the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership -- without the U.S.
The Tokyo negotiations were the first high-level talks since the leaders of the partner economies met in November on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation summit in Danang, Vietnam.
Trudeau made international headlines there by deciding not to sign an agreement-in-principle on what became known as TPP11 following the U.S. withdrawal. Trudeau's decision in Vietnam to continue negotiating for a better deal, rather than striking an agreement, led to the abrupt cancellation of a TPP leaders' meeting in Danang.
After Trudeau declined to attend the scheduled meeting in Danang, there were reports his decision angered Japanese officials, including Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
On Tuesday in his Davos speech, Trudeau made a point of mentioning Abe.
"I also want to specifically and personally thank Prime Minister Abe for hosting the recent talks and for his continued and extraordinary leadership in reaching this positive outcome," Trudeau said.
Back in Canada, industry leaders, many of whom had actively lobbied Ottawa to commit to the Pacific Rim deal long ago, applauded news of the agreement.
Dan Kelly, president and CEO of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, tweeted that the "TPP will provide lots of new opportunities for Canadian small firms at a time of trade uncertainty with the US."

John Masswohl of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association tweeted: "Great news for Canada's beef producers and job creation in Canada as a whole! Helpful for NAFTA talks too."
Many believed the original TPP had suffered a fatal blow when Trump withdrew from the deal in his first week as president.
The government official said Trudeau has been bringing up the Asia-Pacific trade pact in recent months every time he's had conversations with leaders from the other partner economies. Over the last week, he discussed the deal with the leaders of New Zealand and Chile by phone.
Trudeau also dispatched well-connected Vancouver Economic Commission chief executive Ian McKay as his personal envoy at this week's negotiations in Japan, the official said. McKay joined Canada's chief and deputy chief negotiators in Tokyo.
Besides Canada, the new deal's partners are Australia, Brunei, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam.
Most importantly, the deal will open up access for Canada to Japan's economy, the third-largest in the world. Canada's agricultural, seafood and forestry sectors would see some of the greatest benefits, the official said.
The official insisted that Champagne and Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland also remained engaged with their counterparts in recent months.
They added that Trudeau's principal secretary, Gerald Butts, met with Japan's ambassador last week to discuss the deal.
Asked by reporters earlier Tuesday whether he was aware of the deal, Trudeau said while walking past them in Davos: "Who do you think has been working hard at it behind the scenes."

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 23, 2018

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Risky Bisquick posted:

e: frank I'm buying tons more weedstocks cause yeah :ducksiren:

Hey man it's your money. :shrug:

Does anyone know CI's home address? I really want to send him a gift basket to help him get through this latest probation, maybe help him calm down a bit and find his inner peace. :buddy:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
NAFTA is dead, long live TPP

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
so guys jordan peterson is garbage right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That depends, are you easily wowed by academic credentials? He's also very well paid for his opinions outside of his academic field, and has the #1 best selling book on Amazon Canada.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Typo posted:

so guys jordan peterson is garbage right?
he triggers the sjews so hes good
https://twitter.com/S_Saeen/status/955889027957297152

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Is Peterson's new book a 200 page rant about SJWs or does it have actual self-help merit?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Is Peterson's new book a 200 page rant about SJWs or does it have actual self-help merit?

It has a part where he fantasizes about murdering a small child, so you tell me

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

DariusLikewise posted:

You used the word "merit" in the same sentence as two things which very, very rarely have any.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

I think mine is in my mailbox, I'll keep you posted.

“‘Happiness’ is a pointless goal. Don’t compare yourself with other people, compare yourself with who you were yesterday. No one gets away with anything, ever, so take responsibility for your own life. You conjure your own world, not only metaphorically but also literally and neurologically. These lessons are what the great stories and myths have been telling us since civilisation began.”

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

all of his "self-help" stuff is extremely basic advice you could get anywhere without it being laced with impenetrable philosophical jargon and conservative cultural grievances but because his fans are severely dysfunctional NEETs it's seen as this amazingly revelatory stuff

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

So has anyone else been tracking the BC NDP/Green government's legislative achievements?

I was reading through the Hansard yesterday, and while they could go further on a lot of issues, there's some good stuff in there.

Bill 1: An Act to Ensure the Supremacy of Parliament -- because Canada is actually a constitutional monarchy, and BC never actually asserted that the provincial government has supremacy over parliament. About 400 years overdue, but better late than never.

Bill 3: Election Amendment Act, 2017 -- I haven't gone through this in detail, but basically BC has very little regulation over campaign financing. Anyone (even non-Canadians) can contribute any amount, which is kinda batshit insane. I'm assuming this attempts to fix that.

Bill 6: Electoral Reform Referendum 2018 Act -- gently caress yeah electoral reform!

Bill 15: Local Elections Campaign Financing Amendment Act, 2017 -- like Bill 3 but for local elections, so the Vancouver municipal election can be less dominated by developer money.

Bill 16: Tenancy Statutes Amendment Act, 2017 -- desperately needed overhauls to the Residential Tenancy Act and related pieces of legislation. Major changes are removing the fixed-term lease loophole landlords use to jack up rent above CPI, and giving the RTB Arbitrators the ability to impose penalties for things not specifically raised in an RTB hearing. (This latter is a really big deal -- every second RTB board hearing I've read has the arbitrator finding the landlords doing flagrantly illegal bullshit but being unable to do anything about it because the tenants didn't explicitly bring it up.) Unfortunately the bill didn't include other much-needed measures (which, e.g., Ontario has already) like right of first refusal to tenants after renovictions and disallowing no-pets clauses, but baby steps.

Members' Bill 204: University Amendment Act, 2017 -- at present, universities in BC have 50% of the members of their Board of Governors appointed by the Province. This created situations like at UBC, where a perfectly good president (Arvind Gupta) was forced to resign by the Board for being too liberal and not corporate enough. The proposed bill would reduce the number of political appointees and increase the level of freedom within the university.

All of these except the last have gone through third reading, so good going so far it seems.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I think mine is in my mailbox, I'll keep you posted.

“‘Happiness’ is a pointless goal. Don’t compare yourself with other people, compare yourself with who you were yesterday. No one gets away with anything, ever, so take responsibility for your own life. You conjure your own world, not only metaphorically but also literally and neurologically. These lessons are what the great stories and myths have been telling us since civilisation began.”

JFC it's basically The Secret.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lets be honest, if you are buying his book it isn't for the random tidbits of "self help" scattered throughout it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

THC posted:

all of his "self-help" stuff is extremely basic advice you could get anywhere without it being laced with impenetrable philosophical jargon and conservative cultural grievances but because his fans are severely dysfunctional NEETs it's seen as this amazingly revelatory stuff

that's every self-help book though

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lead out in cuffs posted:

JFC it's basically The Secret.

Never heard of that one. Here I will save you all 20 bucks and give you the rules for free

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Never heard of that one. Here I will save you all 20 bucks and give you the rules for free

Is this what philosophy majors end up doing with their degrees?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

So did you buy the self-help book because there's some issue you have that you need to help yourself with, or did you just buy it for Peterson's weirdo right-wing martyr-complex poo poo.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Typo posted:

that's every self-help book though
there's some okay ones out there. but yeah there's definitely massive overlap between self-help, snake oil sales, and right-wing welfare publishing

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Supercar Gautier posted:

So did you buy the self-help book because there's some issue you have that you need to help yourself with, or did you just buy it for Peterson's weirdo right-wing martyr-complex poo poo.

My whole life is issues, it's a tragedy. I don't mind the weirdo right wing stuff either though and I don't mind throwing him some money for making canadian politics more fun to follow.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

After I stopped laughing at this I just felt incredibly sad.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rule 12 is an excellent way to contract rabies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

InfiniteZero posted:

After I stopped laughing at this I just felt incredibly sad.

I find this the saddest part
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/d7pe7z/controversial-u-of-t-professor-doubles-income-with-patreon-account

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

giving money to an already extremely wealthy guy to own the libs

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I read this thread for two reasons. Canadian political news and the poo poo posts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Huh, you weren't kidding. Half of this is Christianity without all that Christ.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

infernal machines posted:

Huh, you weren't kidding. Half of this is Christianity without all that Christ.

Christian philosophy was largely distilled from thinking of Greek philosophers

like the same set of principles existing since dawn of human intellectual thought just keep getting repackaged and make the packagers $$$$

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

My whole life is issues, it's a tragedy. I don't mind the weirdo right wing stuff either though and I don't mind throwing him some money for making canadian politics more fun to follow.

giving money to scam artists to own the libs

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This article missed a couple of golden nuggets mentioned in the Star's report:

quote:

But when it comes to the mechanism in chapter 11, a section that allows investors to sue when they feel they’ve been unfairly treated by a foreign government regulation or policy action, Ottawa says it is open to improvements through establishing professionally trained panels of trade judges to assess claims.

Canadian sources said the U.S. is demanding that there be an “opt in” system, one that would give investors the right to turn to their domestic courts, instead. That would only weaken the independence of the dispute settlement process, say Canadian officials.

“They’d expect the U.S. would opt out, but Canada and Mexico would opt in,” said one official.

Canada will once again get high-profile help from former Progressive Conservative prime minister Brian Mulroney, who has been talking up NAFTA to Trump privately as well as to other American officials.

A progressive trade deal negotiated by Brian Mulroney and allowing for investors to sue governments for damaages ahahaha this poo poo is going to happen isn't it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

namaste friends posted:

btw, this is kinda related to debt; next time you're driving around vancouver or taking transit or riding your loving fixie or whatever, see if you can not spot an AMG g63

it looks like this

seriously, try it. it's impossible

I live next to a high end Chinese restaurant. Let me tell you what the parking lot is filled with....

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Typo posted:

Christian philosophy was largely distilled from thinking of Greek philosophers

like the same set of principles existing since dawn of human intellectual thought just keep getting repackaged and make the packagers $$$$

Well, yes. The comment was mostly in response to Ikantski saying it was pretty much religion without being religion.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

eXXon posted:

This article missed a couple of golden nuggets mentioned in the Star's report:

A progressive trade deal negotiated by Brian Mulroney and allowing for investors to sue governments for damaages ahahaha this poo poo is going to happen isn't it?

Eventually we are going to sign a trade agreement that allows companies to sue our government through US Courts and the Koch brothers will sue Canada saying all social programs are a form of unfair subsidy and win.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

If I saw someone carrying Jordan Peterson's book I would push them in front of the subway

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
will the NDP oppose the TPP

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Define "oppose"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Typo posted:

will the NDP oppose the TPP

That depends, what is the TPP's opinion on ATM fees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Details on what's in the 'revised' TPP is insanely scarce. Here's the best I could find: https://theconversation.com/the-trans-pacific-partnership-is-back-experts-respond-87432

Extended patents, harder access to generics, ISDS bullass all seem to be still in.

e: i misread about patents, but I guess everyone has to wait for full details to come out to be sure.

quote:

The TPP11 retains all provisions on Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) from the previous TPP, except for two narrow improvements which only apply if investors have specific contracts or authorisations with governments.

Despite claimed “safeguards”, ISDS enables all other foreign investors to bypass national courts and sue governments for compensation in international tribunals if they can argue that changes in domestic laws or policies harm their investment. The cases are tried by tribunals composed of investment lawyers who can continue to represent clients. There is no independent judiciary, and no precedents or appeals to ensure consistency of decisions.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 23, 2018