Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dodgeball posted:

Someone in the thread had an idea I liked; one I'd like to expand on:

They mentioned instead of parachuting out of plane, have 100 players rappelling down the side of a skyscraper. Once you "deploy," you break the window you're next to and enter the building.

I posit, since a top down mini map would be less useful, you would have a side view of the building, indicating where stairs, elevators and vents are, with an ever-present "you are X floors away from safety" graphic instead. The active play zone would be based off of the floors of the building, with the last zone being one floor. Instead of vehicles, there's window washing gondolas.

Nice idea - I think it's an idea for a new game though.

To go back to the previous discussion about a snow map, I posit the possibility of footsteps/tracks. (Also applicable to desert map.) It would radically change the game, I think in favor of hunters/runners over hiders/campers. At least vehicles ought to leave tracks, except on blacktop/concrete or ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Elman posted:

Speaking of things that should be banned, I've been using Nvidia's new shader settings with HDR set to 100% and it's super good. Unlike dumb settings like sharpening and oversatured colors, it doesn't make the game look ugly but it's definitely easier to spot dudes when you're outdoors in the sun and you look at a dark corner or window.

My player group calls it "elf eyes".

puppy party posted:

Where do you set this up?

He's referring to GeForce Experience's FreeStyle

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/freestyle-games/

From what I gathered, you need to have GeForce Experience installed to try it out. If anyone has any info about how to replicate it with ReShade or whatever that would helpful though! :toot:

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 23, 2018

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Ok Goons, tell me how to fix my aim. My mouse settings are 6/12 in window, 400 dpi, 5 out of 10 (50%) in game. Watch the end for super slow mo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmEdIr5zP_M

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

daslog posted:

Ok Goons, tell me how to fix my aim. My mouse settings are 6/12 in window, 400 dpi, 5 out of 10 (50%) in game. Watch the end for super slow mo.

Dunno how to aim but you should be going for center mass rather than praying for headshots and you probably should position better. You saw them through the gap on the right and just kind of stood there where your opponent could see you easily rather than repositioning to the opposite corner so they have to scan more of the room to find you and possibly you could have hidden behind the slab on top of that rubble pile so they run past your room and you can shoot them in the back or they might run into the room and you can ambush them without them even knowing where you are until they're dead.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I wasn't going for a headshot lol. (yes I should have positioned myself better)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

You're not compensating for burst correctly and generally you shouldn't be using burst at distances longer than like 20 feet.

The days of absurdly accurate burst mode are passed
https://streamable.com/b2tx9

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
With how much server lag there is and client side hit detection you don't want to be holding obvious angles ever and relying on reaction time. Unless the other person fucks up hard, the person coming around the corner has an advantage unless you're very hidden.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Party Plane Jones posted:

The days of absurdly accurate burst mode are passed
https://streamable.com/b2tx9

Your problem here is you were getting greedy for kills and spamming even after you knew the whole squad was pressing you hard. The bursts did their job fine any time you had a real target

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Just picked this up finally and have gotten to the last 3 a bunch of times solo now but always get way to greedy and choke. I do find that FPP seems to be less frustrating as people can’t rely on 3rd person corner peaking etc etc. squading up and poo poo talking is a terribly addictive way to waste a night with some bros. Is there any real point to crates other than your starting outfit ?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Does anyone else get really weird lagspikes when running into an enemy or getting shot? I mean stuff like this.

The game just randomly chokes from time to time, usually right around the time I get shot. It basically kills any chance I might have of reacting, and it happens often enough to be a pain. I think it only started after last patch?

Killer_Bees! posted:

Is there any real point to crates other than your starting outfit ?

Nope. Sell them in the market and make bank.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Elman posted:

Does anyone else get really weird lagspikes when running into an enemy or getting shot? I mean stuff like this.

The game just randomly chokes from time to time, usually right around the time I get shot. It basically kills any chance I might have of reacting, and it happens often enough to be a pain. I think it only started after last patch?

Nope. Sell them in the market and make bank.

Yep. The more people around me, the more often this happens. It is infuriating! I've found that minimizing the amount of programs running in the background helps a bit.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Elman posted:

This poo poo just started happening to me last night. My guess was that it had something to do with me enabling and messing with the new GeForce shader things that I turned on after reading about it here since I've never had it happen before and nobody else in my squad seemed to have it happen to them.

Everything would be running 100% fine until I started taking shots and then it'd be massive choppyness until I was dead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rex-Goliath posted:

Your problem here is you were getting greedy for kills and spamming even after you knew the whole squad was pressing you hard. The bursts did their job fine any time you had a real target

i do this because i want my kills and it sucks getting three downs and t he last gets ya so your kda was 0.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

BCRock posted:

This poo poo just started happening to me last night. My guess was that it had something to do with me enabling and messing with the new GeForce shader things that I turned on after reading about it here since I've never had it happen before and nobody else in my squad seemed to have it happen to them.

Everything would be running 100% fine until I started taking shots and then it'd be massive choppyness until I was dead.

I just started doing some testing with that Freestyle feature today and I do notice a noticeable drop of 5-10 FPS just in the game lobby, so it's conceivable it could be playing a role in this.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

daslog posted:

This isn't in game, but it's usefull.

https://pubgserverping.com/

I've done consecutive games with my mates that we've all reported as being laggy piles of poo poo so I've gone and checked this website and its said my ping to the oceanic servers is still like 20. I think the ping the site spits back is accurate but a lot of the time its not even close to what you'll experience in game. Its hosed up that there is no in game method to check your ping.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
It has been a while since I put out a video clip because I've been having too much fun playing since release. The game is way better and I'm really enjoying it. I have a stack of footage saved up from sick wins and dumb poo poo so I've started cutting some videos together. Check out my new one here:
https://youtu.be/W3mEyNM0J4c

I also had a crap load of footage saved up from before release and since the game is almost completely different now I figured I'd just delete it and be done with it. But after watching them back they were either really well played wins or funny as gently caress and couldn't bring myself to do it. I ended up putting it all in one massive dump clip and posted it on my channel, but it's 30+ minutes and really just there for those of us who were in it to see it again.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

BCRock posted:

I have been having this issue also, but I swear it started before I touched any of the freestyle stuff.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

comatose posted:

I've done consecutive games with my mates that we've all reported as being laggy piles of poo poo so I've gone and checked this website and its said my ping to the oceanic servers is still like 20. I think the ping the site spits back is accurate but a lot of the time its not even close to what you'll experience in game. Its hosed up that there is no in game method to check your ping.

It's not the ping that's the main problem, it's tickrate. When tickrate drops down to like 2 in the final zones (not hyperbole) it just compounds everything.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

comatose posted:

Ping is much less relevant than packet loss. If this game's lovely servers are anything like World of Tank's lovely servers then you could just have a bunch of dropped packets causing all sorts of weird poo poo to happen.

Or it's just the insanely low tick rate.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's not the ping that's the main problem, it's tickrate. When tickrate drops down to like 2 in the final zones (not hyperbole) it just compounds everything.

What? Why would that happen? You'd think it'd run better when there's ~10 people alive.

Varkas posted:

I just started doing some testing with that Freestyle feature today and I do notice a noticeable drop of 5-10 FPS just in the game lobby, so it's conceivable it could be playing a role in this.

Yeah I'll check, seems like that might actually be the cause.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Is there anything backing up claims of such a low tickrate in the endgame?

Low tickrate in the early game when the server was struggling with the number of players was well established and plausible but the tickrate tanking in the endgame makes less sense.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dWDFDUF8s

At about 5 minutes he shows a graph of the pubg server tickrate over the course of a match. Server performance does get better as players die off, but the servers still have massive dips in tickrate randomly during the match.

gottabefrank
Sep 19, 2014

When you know how to play but didn't think your joke name would make it out of beta:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Got my first chicken dinner tonight in a duos with my brother. Felt real good.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

3000 BP to change to clown hair what am I Cornelius Vanderbilt

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

why are there people willing to pay $160 for a drat hoodie in this game? Can you just not cash out the money from selling crates, therefore it isn't real money?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

uh it's called investing

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

gottabefrank posted:

When you know how to play but didn't think your joke name would make it out of beta:

same

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

Players, as you know, we're always working towards optimizing our gameplay environment.

We are planning to enhance the performance by adjusting some aspects of the game without impacting the gameplay in any conceivably negative way.

Through the last patch, we were able to improve server and client performance by adjusting the visible distance while the character is in the air. In the current patch we are spreading out the pre-match starting locations. Previously, all the players would spawn together at the same location awaiting the start of the match. Lots of interaction among multiple players in such a small area had a high impact on the servers. To solve this, we have introduced multiple areas where players gather before the match start. As a result, the performance, both server and client-side, has improved.

Additional modifications are also on the way related to the airplane performance improvement. More details will be shared soon.

We will also be testing a new security (anti-cheat) measure that is still under development but we want to start gathering some data regarding it's stability and compatibility. Some PCs may experience compatibility issues during this test, which may cause crashes when starting the game. If this happens to you, please take a screenshot of the error screen and post it here [forums.playbattlegrounds.com]

When the changes on the test servers are evaluated to be stable, they will be applied to the live servers. The time for the live server update will be announced later.

Gameplay
Introduced multiple pre-match starting areas on both maps in order to optimize the server and game client performance
Removed weapons on starting island before the match start

Language
Applied new Russian, Japanese and Chinese (simplified/traditional) fonts
Bug fixes
Fixed the issue where players were able to slide-jump from prone

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

there's a more fun way to play this game than "getting guns"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF1x0vkoM2Y

clan towa highperch wig crew lives on

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

An here I wanted them to add weapons to the Miramar warmup area, too.
How will I practice recoil control now?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Removing guns and creating multiple lobby areas is probably a smart move.

Just further compounds the need for some kind of solo/squad only shooting range though.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I've got over 200 games without a win and that's good enough for top 2% solo FPP EU. Getting those last few kills is always tricky

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

An here I wanted them to add weapons to the Miramar warmup area, too.
How will I practice recoil control now?

Pecado

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I very rarely get the guns that I need practice on in Pecado. :-)

NtotheTC posted:

I've got over 200 games without a win and that's good enough for top 2% solo FPP EU. Getting those last few kills is always tricky

I suppose at the last few circles you're up against top players, and getting killed by them doesn't hurt your ranking too badly. Assuming this ranking system is indeed based on ELO.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Scoss posted:

Removing guns and creating multiple lobby areas is probably a smart move.

Just further compounds the need for some kind of solo/squad only shooting range though.

Seriously. I would already be satisfied with literally just the current starting island and its spread of guns. Especially early on I ended up dying quite a few times mostly because I'd never used that gun much before and didn't know what to expect in terms of recoil and rate of fire. After all, firing off random test-shots during an actual round usually tends to be a less than smart idea. Particularly my first few tries with the Vector ended up with me shooting the sky while my would-be victim just looked on in confusion.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Are they ever going the region lock China?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Are they ever going the region lock China?

I don't know, but the patch notes' comments are about 150 pages of:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Anyone getting that choppiness with the newest nvidia driver, 390.XX. I had to rollback to 388.71 to fix it. YMMV of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009

B-Mac posted:

Anyone getting that choppiness with the newest nvidia driver, 390.XX. I had to rollback to 388.71 to fix it. YMMV of course.

Yes, GTX 1070 and the framerate remains around the same but there's random moments where the frametimes are super weird