Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Also a lot of focus trees for major nations in HOI4 have branches specifically for taking you off the rails so I don't even understand that complaint.

They have branches for YOU to go off the rails, but after you've done so none of the AI realize their focuses are balanced around a completely different situation and largely keep on acting as if vanilla WW2 is what's going down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if this doesn't make it....... refund my game........

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

They have branches for YOU to go off the rails, but after you've done so none of the AI realize their focuses are balanced around a completely different situation and largely keep on acting as if vanilla WW2 is what's going down.

That's more of an issue with the AI then, not focus trees themselves.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Fister Roboto posted:

That's more of an issue with the AI then, not focus trees themselves.

This. WW2 is a single event and the alliances and factions in HOI4 are pretty rigid.
EU4 is totally different in that 4 years ago it was pretty common to see Austria allied to France and Spain. England would always get wiped out of europe in the first 10 years. Now you have games where england sometimes wipes out burgundy, and sometimes commonwealth actually happens. I'm sure the new missions will totally gently caress with how alliances between important countries dissolve.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Other than adding even more UI clutter, this seems cool. I imagine that fleshing out the new mission/focus trees will be a big part of future paid DLCs/immersion packs.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

reignonyourparade posted:

If you use the non-historical focus they go down a random AI path. Granted, it's not a path that necessarily takes best advantage of what's happened, but it's also not a direct recreation of WW2.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Hey folks, I'm streaming some multiplayer EU4 tonight in about 2 and a half hours. Watch as I attempt to turn the worthless nation of Yas into a global power: https://www.twitch.tv/mountaineerz
It's a game of minor nations. Other players include: Shirvan, Mali, Yao, Bulgaria, Serbia, Naples, Teutonic Order, and the Papal State.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 24, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

could use some diplomatic advice. I have declared a "get everything I can" war on Mamluks; after the war was ongoing, Tunis declared on Mamluks with their buddy Ottomans for Benghazi. The occupation situation is that I've "contained" ottomans - any and all provinces that they could grab are controlled by myself, - in fact, if I get a little lucky with sieges I can probably carpet-siege Mamluks completely, which will deprive Tunis/ottomans of a victory. I have control over the tunis wargoal. Now I have a few options and I wonder which is the superior one...

1. carpet-siege, wait for Tunis to white peace then grab what I want. Problem is that I probably fought multiple years before tunis declared so the call for peace might be painful.
1a. leave the last Mamluk fort for ottoman/tunis to get some warscore because the ai will/won't peace out without some warscore. I have no idea how the AI will behave in this situation, Tunis is a diplomat personality, ottoman is administrator.
2. grab your peace deal, Cutting most of the mamluks off of the Ottoman expansion. This has the downside that I gain 68 AE with ottomans, to avoid an Ottoman coalition I'd need their war to last 5 years.
2a. grab my peace deal, but release Anizah as part of the 'wall' to cushion the AE, then in a few years come for its provinces in a separate war. The risk exists that the ottomans will ally them.
3. play it safe. stay under the coalition limit, let the ottomans exand into arabia.

the situation:

as an aside - the reason I'd want Banghazi is to get closer to Castille for an alliance. If this is never going to work I might as well drop that and save some AE.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

double nine posted:

could use some diplomatic advice. I have declared a "get everything I can" war on Mamluks; after the war was ongoing, Tunis declared on Mamluks with their buddy Ottomans for Benghazi. The occupation situation is that I've "contained" ottomans - any and all provinces that they could grab are controlled by myself, - in fact, if I get a little lucky with sieges I can probably carpet-siege Mamluks completely, which will deprive Tunis/ottomans of a victory. I have control over the tunis wargoal. Now I have a few options and I wonder which is the superior one...

1. carpet-siege, wait for Tunis to white peace then grab what I want. Problem is that I probably fought multiple years before tunis declared so the call for peace might be painful.
1a. leave the last Mamluk fort for ottoman/tunis to get some warscore because the ai will/won't peace out without some warscore. I have no idea how the AI will behave in this situation, Tunis is a diplomat personality, ottoman is administrator.
2. grab your peace deal, Cutting most of the mamluks off of the Ottoman expansion. This has the downside that I gain 68 AE with ottomans, to avoid an Ottoman coalition I'd need their war to last 5 years.
2a. grab my peace deal, but release Anizah as part of the 'wall' to cushion the AE, then in a few years come for its provinces in a separate war. The risk exists that the ottomans will ally them.
3. play it safe. stay under the coalition limit, let the ottomans exand into arabia.

the situation:

as an aside - the reason I'd want Banghazi is to get closer to Castille for an alliance. If this is never going to work I might as well drop that and save some AE.

If it's just the Ottos and their allies in the coalition then there's no harm in taking the AE since a coalition is only going to change the situation if other, non-Otto-allied nations would join.

Imo you want to take provinces around Jerusalem so you can build a fort in the mountains and bottleneck the Ottomans. Since they have way more dudes than you and you have great fort bonuses, the easiest way to beat the Ottos is to declare a holy war (you took Religious, right?) on them since the wargoal is to win battles. Let them sit on your mountain fort, then relieve the siege and beat them with your +2 to rolls from terrain. Rinse repeat, they can't get at your home provinces.

You don't need to take those coastal, higher-dev provinces (around Alexandria) if it would lead to a large coalition. You just want to block most of the Ottoman armies from being able to cross from Syria area to Egypt.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

double nine posted:

What I would do (and bear in mind I'm not the most experienced player; Japan is pretty much the only long-term game I've played so far) is option 2, but not before improving relations with those two nations not involved in the war. That way, when the aggressive relations penalty is applied, they're still in the green, and since you need at least 4 nations to be into forming a coalition in order for the coalition to be formed, you won't get a coalition.

For me, when I was the Uesugi during the Sengoku period in Japan, I would send out my diplomats to the daimyos I wasn't at war with to improve relations with them enough so they wouldn't feel threatened. This led to the frankly absurd situation where as Uesugi I controlled 70+% of Japan and was clearly intending to continue to expand but the Ashikaga still considered me a good friend, but it did the job.

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

Finally nabbed Auld Alliance Reversed (As Scotland, have France as a vassal without creating great Britain). Had to do a few truce breaks in the last 30 years as they owned a ton of stuff in the Philippines and Africa, which didn't let me vassalize them for awhile. Most of the game was spent solo, the Sweden/Ottomans alliance was just for the last 20 years for defensive reasons.

Notable for having a decent sized Austria. I had little to do with their expansion, at least directly. I guess by crushing England and France I took out two of their potential rivals and coalition enemies. Spain also got Poland in a PU and ate them up. Not featured was an independent Louisiana, Australia, and Brazil.

EDIT: My income was over 500/month after expenses, not including trade fleets as well. Got real lazy with merchants after the like, 7th one.

Lagnar fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 24, 2018

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What map mod is that?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

double nine posted:

the situation:

If possible declare on Mahra or Kilwa and make the longest possible peace with them which won't generate AE, coalitions can only form when there are at least 3 outraged countries you don't have a peace treaty with. You can take the big peace deal as soon as you start this war, as countries also can't form a coalition while at war with the coalition target.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

After a bit of sleep I've changed my mind a little:

The ottomans have the "conquer the levant" mission, giving them claims the territory in gaza etc. Here's what interests them:

I've succeeded in 100%-ing the enemy alliance. My thoughts currently are to tank through the Call for Peace, try and keep mamluk rebels from giving control to the ottomans, and wait until tunis white peaces out, then grab this:

It gives me the mountain castles of Al Karak and Tabuk, divides the Mamluks further, does NOT take land of vital interest to Osmanoglu which hopefully keeps them off my back for a little longer, I gain part of the nile estuary for that trade power, and Medina which iirc will give me another missionary. I'm increasing relations with Ottomans so they should have a positive opinion of me, stopping them from creating or joining a coalition.

Mahra is a mamluk ally in this war. I'm debating whether to white peace them now so I can reset the truce with mamluks later by declaring on them, but odds are that the ottomans will break the alliance in their peace deal. Kinda torn. I'll probably sit on them as well.

Defensively I'm really scratching my head. The mountain castles are good, but the enemy can always just ignore them, walk along the coast, and besiege cairo. The terrain doesn't make for a good wall here imo.

should I destroy the cairo fort and build one in the sinai province instead?

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 24, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sinai would be better if you were willing to take Gazzah but as is the ottomans would still be able to get through Shaqiyya to Cairo.

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

What map mod is that?

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, it has a bunch of customization options so you can adjust it as you like. Been using it for awhile now and have never looked back!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Most interesting thing I've managed to do as Muscovy yet in current run: Formed Russia by 1509, then snaked out a border all the way to Ming by 1519. (And no, I'm not a tributary.) Wonder what's going to happen next.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
What is the typical strategy for acquiring non-European HRE princes? I have seen a few screenshots with 200+ princes and while I am snaking my way through Otto territory I thought it would be nice to have someone to feed along the way. Up until Iraq/Syria I would core, convert, add to HRE, release one province, court, and vassalize. Now I just get the message saying must be on European continent to add province to HRE. At this point I have already revoked and not sure if I should have waited.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can't add provinces that aren't on the European continent, there's no way around it that I know of. This guy got 189 princes by catch-and-release, but even he can't add anyone who is nowhere near Europe, just games the system by adding provinces technically-in-Europe and then releasing them as princes and feeding them into gigantic worms, like Perm stretching to China, Dulkadir and Ramazan to India, etc.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006
So, when will the AI add provinces to the HRE? I looked at the wiki, but that doesn't look like the complete story. Is there anything I can do as emperor to make it more probable? Do truces, excommunications, reforms, etc block province adding? In my game it seems the princes stopped adding provinces after i revoked the privilegia.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

IYKK posted:

So, when will the AI add provinces to the HRE? I looked at the wiki, but that doesn't look like the complete story. Is there anything I can do as emperor to make it more probable? Do truces, excommunications, reforms, etc block province adding? In my game it seems the princes stopped adding provinces after i revoked the privilegia.

I got a couple of guys to do it during my Austria run and the popup when they do suggests that it’s caused by a weak minor feeling threatened by a powerful nearby enemy (at least once, I was the enemy in question, so they may not be super good at assessing this). However if you want to add someone to the empire, just annexing, coring, adding to HRE and releasing as vassal is the most reliable way. If you’ve already revoked the privilegia this shouldn’t count towards your diplo relation limit; if you haven’t yet you can always break vassalage. They’ll be mad at you but whatever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

skasion posted:

You can't add provinces that aren't on the European continent, there's no way around it that I know of. This guy got 189 princes by catch-and-release, but even he can't add anyone who is nowhere near Europe, just games the system by adding provinces technically-in-Europe and then releasing them as princes and feeding them into gigantic worms, like Perm stretching to China, Dulkadir and Ramazan to India, etc.

There is some way around it because reman has a video where he made Ming a prince of the hre. You'd have to check his video for the details though

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

There is some way around it because reman has a video where he made Ming a prince of the hre. You'd have to check his video for the details though

That's theoretically possible, but you'd have to somehow put Ming's capital in Europe. You are a prince of the HRE if your capital is HRE territory, and only provinces in Europe can be added to the HRE. I haven't watched the video, though, so maybe there's some bug to add provinces outside of Europe somehow, in which case I think the strategy is conquer the capital province, add that province to the empire, return that province, then conquer whatever the new province is so the country's capital moves back to the old (now HRE territory) province.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

AnoHito posted:

That's theoretically possible, but you'd have to somehow put Ming's capital in Europe. You are a prince of the HRE if your capital is HRE territory, and only provinces in Europe can be added to the HRE. I haven't watched the video, though, so maybe there's some bug to add provinces outside of Europe somehow, in which case I think the strategy is conquer the capital province, add that province to the empire, return that province, then conquer whatever the new province is so the country's capital moves back to the old (now HRE territory) province.

I did see someone with Syria, Persia, and a few other middle east countries as princes that seem to be beyond the HRE boundary. The above seems plausible and I'll give it a try on Persia as they are currently an OPM I was about to take out in my current game. Otherwise, the screenshot shows kind of what I am doing now with feeding a few eastern HRE vassals as I move towards India.

Just finished annexing Spain and have Portugal down to an OPM to steal the rest of their American colonies. So, depending on how quick I can chew through India/Ming in the next 130 years, I may be able to finish a WC.

mobius42 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 24, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPKPxf39494&t=229s
So you just have to force your capital to move by decision and then release them as a vassal. Seems totally pointless unless you're going for some gimmick run.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

skasion posted:

I got a couple of guys to do it during my Austria run and the popup when they do suggests that it’s caused by a weak minor feeling threatened by a powerful nearby enemy (at least once, I was the enemy in question, so they may not be super good at assessing this). However if you want to add someone to the empire, just annexing, coring, adding to HRE and releasing as vassal is the most reliable way. If you’ve already revoked the privilegia this shouldn’t count towards your diplo relation limit; if you haven’t yet you can always break vassalage. They’ll be mad at you but whatever.

Yes, in my game Ragusa joined on it's own and the Livonian order after guaranteeing and allying when threatened. Riga on the other hand would not join, despite feeling threatened by Sweden, Lithuania and Russia and having 200 relations both ways with me. This is before revoking.

Has anybody had anybody join after revoking? It's seems reasonable that the ai wouldn't join just to be annexed in a few years. But if anybody had states joining after revoking, there must be something else blocking for me.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Playing around with the random settings and it seems like the setting to assign Province Tax & Manpower as random is bugged and every province gets 1/1/1 (or I have been extremely (un) lucky three times).

This leads to hilariously swingy games because no one can make much of an income or build up an army and provinces are super cheap to get in a peace deal because nothing's worth any war score. Everyone's in debt all the time. Everyone has tiny armies. It's just a constant meat grinder of war, counter war, total annexation leading to separatists and other rebels that succeed leading to another war.

You quickly become the top great power by spending a few monarch points to make the all-powerful 2/1/1 or 1/2/1 or even 1/1/2 provinces.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Playing Cusco, fought my way south then back up north to become Inca while Colonization was *really* late in popping (~1520?). The usual countries were busy elsewhere getting..mauled by Mali or something I don't know the map during the load save wasn't particularly forthcoming in what the hell went off-kilter there. England beat everyone to the Caribbean and France aggressed against the Central American natives.

Anyway France started setting up shop near Muisca (good buddies), called a war against him while having a conquistador with 5k infantry just casually strolling through my neck of the woods. I threw 10k, 17k, 23k at that little stack and lost every single time without taking out more than 1.5k at a time so good loving luck with that war. I sat back and waited behind a fort or two until Muisca is reduced to an OPM and I didn't lose more than my pride. Eventually France's CN pops and I'm debating running rampant through it while it sits without an army.

I'm also one religious reform from finally being released from pre-Feudal hell, authority about 75ish while Portugal is starting to nestle up close to my section of the coast. I'm hoping they are nicer than Spain who just keeps continually making claims on bits of my country and not being in any real position to do something about it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

mobius42 posted:

What is the typical strategy for acquiring non-European HRE princes? I have seen a few screenshots with 200+ princes and while I am snaking my way through Otto territory I thought it would be nice to have someone to feed along the way. Up until Iraq/Syria I would core, convert, add to HRE, release one province, court, and vassalize. Now I just get the message saying must be on European continent to add province to HRE. At this point I have already revoked and not sure if I should have waited.

You can get two through an exploit involving forming manchu and then forming Qing, since those ones move your Capital, if you're emperor and a nation formation decision moves your capital that new capital will get added to the HRE. MOSTLY though people just snake their existing vassals.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Proof that the HRE is fake Romans. Romans would gladly add new conquests to their empire.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

Proof that the HRE is fake Romans. Romans would gladly add new conquests to their empire.

Well, yeah, the real Romans are the purple ones in Greece.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Roadie posted:

Well, yeah, the real Romans are the green ones in Greece.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Rumans

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Incan update, bashed up France's CN for a mere one province (unfortunately the only thing reachable) and returning Muisca to former glory, basically thumbing my nose at France. Authority was maxed by that point so I reformed and shot up out of weenie-hood so fast that I had Printing Press before some of the colonizers in South America. Quickly took charge, teched up some more to near military parity, income exploded, Cusco's gold mine imploded and generally feel a lot better about taking on Europe now. Also shut down Portugal's La Plata coastal build up because it turned out they were also nasty Spaniards and rivaled me.

Of course that all comes to bite me because France finally got out of the last of many European wars to declare war over that single province I'm holding. And big brother CN Francien Mexico sitting on all that Aztec gold and an actual army is nearby, while Portugal has their army just sort of sitting around my part of South America trying to look all innocent. I'm going to be living in interesting times in the next 5 years.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Romanes eunt domus

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have never actually tried any of the natives Americans because the whole waiting for the AI to maybe come colonise next to you before you can play the real game thing seems extremely poo poo to me, but I should probably give it a go at least once.

What's the difference between the various reform mechanics for the different religions?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Aztecs require repeatedly vassalizing poo poo and then losing it all, Mayans require repeatedly conquering poo poo and then losing at all, Incans mostly just require events and repeatedly fighting pretender rebels.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 25, 2018

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

All the reform mechanics have five bonuses, and you have to get a certain number of X (vassals, cored provinces, or 'authority' you get from low autonomy provinces and events) to pass a reform, at which point you lose all your vassals or cores or authority and you have to do the whole thing again. Each time it gets easier because less cores are released, or less rebels are spawned from low authority, etc, and you also have more bonuses from your reforms. The Aztecs have a 'doom' timer that you need to decrease by sacrificing people in wars or the country will collapse and you lose all your reforms. The northern native American tribes have a slightly different thing where they also get five reforms, but you just spend monarch points on them and they are lost when you reform the native government. I think you can still do the gimmicky trick where you convert a totemist native american tribe to the Aztec religion, which (I think?) makes reforming the religion a lot easier, but I'm not entirely sure.

The Native american game is actually kind of a cool twist on EU4 imo because although the tasks in front of you aren't necessarily hard (vassalising neighbours, annexing smaller states etc), the impending arrival of Europe forces you to rush and make a lot of interesting decisions. I was super behind on diplo tech as the Mayans because I had to break truces and build the stability back up pretty much constantly to get all my reforms finished before I got invaded by Spain, and I also had to constantly gently caress with my Aztec neighbours to make sure nobody got into a big vassal blob that could kill me. It's also balanced so the Mayans will need to steal vassals off the Aztecs to have enough provinces to pass their reforms, which keeps things very dynamic. I haven't played the Aztecs (or the other Nahuatl states) so I don't know if their game is balanced in the same way.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Started reading Europe's Tragedy now im back on my bullshit with this game.

Poland and Lithuania, two separate yet friendly nations dominated the east of europe. Sweden overthrew Denmark and owns most of Scandinavia. Muscovy aint poo poo. Austraia ate what parts of Hungary Poland didn't get. And I as Pommerania took over the Tutonic and Livonian Orders as well as Southern Denmark.

Aragon is the dominant force ahead of Great Britain and Castille on the Iberian Peninsula. Scotland only has 3 provinces on the English isles but a colony in the USA. And France holds southern England.

Game is wild I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

About to finish my Sikh Punjab -> Bharat -> Unite India playthrough and I'm finishing up by beating up on Vijayanagar. It's super fun to completely leave a nation destitute and occupied by rebels, take one province, then go to war with their ally and have them join despite having nothing to fight against me because I have 166 aggressive expansion :allears:. Also Ming still sucks, though maybe I got unlucky with them having several top tier monarchs.

Also, have a normal 1646 europe:

extremely normal europe over here: