Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Saints Row The Third is really weird after beating 2 - the standardised controls feel like they've been scrambled after getting used to 2, and the difficulty seems ridiculous (to send a Brute after you on the first real mission, and so many guys to fight in the tutorials) - I died a bunch there. Currently I'm seeing what I can do to complete activities for more money so that I can buy weapon/character upgrades and starting to buy some locations for some starting income. Bought a nearby drug lab and did a heli-assault mission to start off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The enemy difficulty in Skyrim is really weird and random. I'll casually kill a dragon one minute only to be absolutely murdered by some random dude the next. Also, the random dudes who can murder you are scattered in amongst normal guys who can barely touch you, so you get complacent until suddenly you're dying and you don't know why.

Also, I came across a Stormcloak camp and decided to murder them because gently caress those guys, only it turns out there's one guy there who can't die for some reason so I killed everyone else and then just had to run away from him.

Oh, and I went to Dawnstar only to find a dragon attacking. So I killed it and went into the inn, and when I came back out there was another dragon attacking. Dragons seem like they should be pretty significant enemies, not frequent nuisances.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
When I play Skyrim I specifically avoid triggering the dragons even though it means you don't get shouts that way. They're basically just giant cliff racers.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Futuresight posted:

When I play Skyrim I specifically avoid triggering the dragons even though it means you don't get shouts that way. They're basically just giant cliff racers.

It's weird how annoying those fuckers are to fight with most of the game's primary builds, considering they're the main plot thread of the game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I also deny myself the most fun parts of games when I play them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Agents are GO! posted:

I also deny myself the most fun parts of games when I play them.

Whether you're talking about dragons or shouts, you're wrong. Dragons are just tedious. You take potshots at them until their health gets low then you chase them to wherever they decided to land and continue taking potshots at them till they die. Most of the shouts are pointless and underwhelming. Really only unrelenting force is any fun, and it gets old pretty quickly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tiggum posted:

Whether you're talking about dragons or shouts, you're wrong. Dragons are just tedious. You take potshots at them until their health gets low then you chase them to wherever they decided to land and continue taking potshots at them till they die.

Sounds like you found your spirit animal.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I just started playing Dark Souls for the first time. By far the worst part is having to slowly trudge through the trash mobs for fifteen-twenty minutes every time the boss splatters you.
Ah, you have not yet learned the greatest secret of the Dark Souls series: running past things.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The last level of DS3 has you crossing a big bridge like in Boleteria, filled with low-ranking soldiers who cover half a dozen elite knights. You could methodically pick them off, playing it safe and conserving your Estus, or you could just run past everyone and unlock the shortcut next to the boss.

DS2, on the other hand, makes it near impossible to run past foes because when you aggro an enemy they will never stop coming after you.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Jan 23, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

BioEnchanted posted:

Saints Row The Third is really weird after beating 2 - the standardised controls feel like they've been scrambled after getting used to 2, and the difficulty seems ridiculous (to send a Brute after you on the first real mission, and so many guys to fight in the tutorials) - I died a bunch there. Currently I'm seeing what I can do to complete activities for more money so that I can buy weapon/character upgrades and starting to buy some locations for some starting income. Bought a nearby drug lab and did a heli-assault mission to start off.

They swapped a couple of the shoulder buttons round and I had the same battle with muscle memory.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Good news it actually gets worse. Enjoy the games dreadful end

I'm convinced the game was written by someone who kept falling asleep while watching LA Confidential.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the successful examples of a main character switcheroo? People are really divided on this happening late in Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire, but MGS2 is looked fondly in hindsight.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the successful examples of a main character switcheroo? People are really divided on this happening late in Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire, but MGS2 is looked fondly in hindsight.

I think people are still pretty divided on MGS2. Or maybe it's just me that still thinks that game was the worst in the series.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
MGS5. :v:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tiggum posted:

Also, I came across a Stormcloak camp and decided to murder them because gently caress those guys, only it turns out there's one guy there who can't die for some reason so I killed everyone else and then just had to run away from him.

That's exactly what happened to me as well! I want to play Skyrim sometimes then i remember all the bigshots i want to kill are invincible and the story is poo poo :/

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

I just finished playing through Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness and you play as some rando Lara meets previously in the story, who then imprisons her after a lategame level. He's around for two stages or so, has to kill the hardest boss in the game and then Lara takes over again. He might or might not be the actual final boss, who is a shapeshifter. I didn't understand the story because it is hot garbage.

I'm using this as an example because it might have been a cool moment (he even has a special completely unexplained power letting him look around corners with his mind to read door codes, which in practices is exactly as exciting as I made it sound), and with an added twist at the end (you have been playing as the bad guy!!!). Instead I doubt that most people, especially game reviewers, ever reached the point of the game where the switch occurs because in case it's not common knowledge, AoD is a horrible, unfinished, bug-ridden, basically unplayable complete and utter burning shitpile of a game. It's also absolutely hilarious in just how bad it is so I just had to play through it without even using a fanpatch (it has fans!) that enables such incredible things as "walking up stairs isn't completely busted anymore" and "you can now turn Lara around". I'd like to give some few example while I'm here as to why AoD is really, really bad but also amazing:
- jumping in any direction works by pressing the jump button first, then pressing the direction, as opposed to literally every game ever made which features jumping, and some without.
- you sometimes have to look at security camera footage to get door codes. The cancel button doesn't get you out of the camera view, neither does the look button or the action button or the shoot button (both can, but needn't be the same). You have to crouch to get out, obviously.
- there's a quickturn button, but you turn by rolling, and you cannot just roll, you'll always also turn. Needless to say, this is...actually more useful than it sounds because Lara's turning radius makes semi-trucks feel really loving good about themselves.
- in the boss you have to kill as the switch character (Kurtis), you have to hit four weakpoints. The game will gladly lock onto the weakpoints in front of the boss, and they're gone in one hit so that's nice. However, that doesn't make the lockon point go away, you will always keep shooting the destroyed weakpoint instead of the undamaged ones at the back end of the boss. There is a button to switch the lockon target; I had to look it up because it's nowhere in the control options, the game never tells you, and before that (very late game) boss you don't ever have to use it. It is the same button as the quickturn button. Obviously!
- said boss has to be killed with a single gun and at max two healthpacks (for me, it was a single tiny one left because there's another annoying boss before), because Kurtis has his own inventory and during the two levels before the hardest boss in the game, there just aren't any more supplies. If run out of ammo (and only if, so you often have to empty your ammo on purpose, there is no reload button), somewhere in the arena a spare magazine shows up magically; it's a tiny non-glinting pixel. Other weapon pickups do glint, not this one though. Again I had to look this up.
- Lara has to kill the boss before the final boss using three MacGuffins she's semi-searching for during the entire game (she's also looking for a painting which is connected to the MacGuffins. I think. It makes no sense okay). When I got the first of them, I checked my inventory, and it told me I had four "Perialpt Shards" (that's the MacGuffin). After getting the second, the inventory told me I had eight. The final one brought it then to a total of nine out of three Perialpt Shards.
- you kill the boss by waiting out a long and boring attack routine of his; you can do that by just staying crouched, he'll literally never hit you. Then he'll run into the center of the room, obviously becoming vulnerable. I emptied a good number of magazines and spent a good quarter of an hour until I looked up what I was doing wrong; you have to melee hit him instead of shooting him. You never have to melee hit anything in the game before this point, it is done by first drawing a weapon to make you lock onto an enemy, then holstering it again but keeping the enemy in view so the lock-on doesn't break, then hitting the interact button. Obviously!
- this does mean that while you do get Lara and her inventory chock full of healing items and ammo after the...unfortunate stint as Kurtis, the entire inventory is completely loving useless as you won't get hit anymore, and neither do you need your weapons. There is one more boss, yes, but you kill him by jumping at a completely unrelated thing in the room.
- the game has no credits; the final 30-second cutscene plays after the thing has been sufficiently jumped at, then it cuts to the title screen.

Finally: a German music producer responsible for some truly terrible but also successful early-2000s pop groups made a completely amazing promo song for the game which somehow has better CGI graphics and animations in it than the actual game. It is on Playstation 2, by the way, I'm sure you can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0-i4zNCesk

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

In RDR and LAN I think that the genres, story of redemption via being a turncoat to your old allies and film noire in general, demand the types of ends we got. No happy endings allowed, and something about the futility and cycle of revenge etc.

Personally, I think that the switcheroo in MGS2 was unnecessary and petty writing, emphasized with the localization and cultural issues (of making the new character a prettyboy-badass which flies in Japan, but is weird from the western POV) and in the English version, they gave him a whiny high-pitched voice and lines which made him petulant and angstier than the original.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I love MGS2, but I can see where people are coming from. It was some epic-level trolling from Kojima.

It also makes Raiden's shift to pure badass in MGS4 and Revengence much sweeter.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The tragic ending of John Marston and then picking up as Jack was handled real well IMO. A lot of westerns deal with cycles of violence and exploitation, and I think RDR managed to portray a thematically sound cynical ending in which everything John fought so hard for goes down the shitter and his boy turns into the exact kind of thug he feared.

I do wish, however, that hunting down the federal agent was given a little more attention and gravitas, since it's kind of the true ending of the game rather than just the emotional climax.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
History hasn't been kind to Halo 2, but playing as the Arbiter for the first time was pretty cool, I thought.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

lamey_whinehouse posted:

I'm finally playing through L.A. Noire and I just got moved to the Homicide Desk and Jesus loving poo poo is Galloway the most annoying motherfucker to ever walk the earth. We get it man, you hate women and you like booze. Plus he started a fistfight with that poor guy who just found out his alcoholic wife died. I know Rockstar isn't known for writing nuanced characters but poo poo fire.

Rockstar didn't write LA Noire. They're the publisher, not the developer.

Agents are GO! posted:

I love MGS2, but I can see where people are coming from. It was some epic-level trolling from Kojima.

It also makes Raiden's shift to pure badass in MGS4 and Revengence much sweeter.

I didn't play MGS2 until like a decade after it came out and I had only played MGS3 before it so I had zero attachment to Solid Snake and was fully aware that Raiden was going to be the main character and he's still just a really boring and annoying character made even worse by being surrounding by a bunch of boring and annoying support people in that game. Doing something badly intentionally doesn't make it good, and the fact that they made him better in future games by more or less completely changing his character doesn't retroactively make him good in 2.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Glukeose posted:

The tragic ending of John Marston and then picking up as Jack was handled real well IMO. A lot of westerns deal with cycles of violence and exploitation, and I think RDR managed to portray a thematically sound cynical ending in which everything John fought so hard for goes down the shitter and his boy turns into the exact kind of thug he feared.

I do wish, however, that hunting down the federal agent was given a little more attention and gravitas, since it's kind of the true ending of the game rather than just the emotional climax.

My problem with it was it didn't make any sense. The fed could easily have killed Marston after he killed Dutch with no one knowing, rather than attacking Marston's ranch later with a bunch of assorted soldiers and cops while hoping they're all ok with killing an innocent woman and child.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

My problem with it was it didn't make any sense. The fed could easily have killed Marston after he killed Dutch with no one knowing, rather than attacking Marston's ranch later with a bunch of assorted soldiers and cops while hoping they're all ok with killing an innocent woman and child.

I understood it as an enforced arrest warrant made purposefully go sour. Marston is no longer needed for anything, and they were "arresting a felon" and at the same time nicely cleaning the records of ever having essentially hired a hitman to take out bandits, without any attempts to bring them to justice because the head government guy was a lazy rear end in a top hat.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I decided to try to go back and play La-Mulana, since I never finished it and the last time I played it was in 2014. I went through a door that opens up with a weight (a consumable item), but this weight block is apparently one of the few that doesn't stay activated after you put the weight on it, so I couldn't return back to the base. Then I got stunlocked on a ladder by a fish and I realised why I never finished it and haven't played it in 4 years.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It it just me or is Saints Row 3 harder than Saints Row 2? It feels, at least early on, that the automatic weapons do much less damage than in 2, and there are a lot more enemies crammed into each space. Feels crowded, like a late game mission in Saints Row 2. Just done "Party Time" and Easy and Medium levels of Heli-Assault (with a mind to try the hard one later).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

It it just me or is Saints Row 3 harder than Saints Row 2? It feels, at least early on, that the automatic weapons do much less damage than in 2, and there are a lot more enemies crammed into each space. Feels crowded, like a late game mission in Saints Row 2. Just done "Party Time" and Easy and Medium levels of Heli-Assault (with a mind to try the hard one later).

The beginning is, but the difficulty curve just absolutely breaks with respect upgrades. I wish there was a way to turn them on and off. It’s fun to dick around with being invulnerable, but being invulnerable all the time is boring.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There was one in a game I played recently and it happens really early on but saying the title would by necessity spoil the twist :ohdear: It's really good, too!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A PS4 game I played uses it in a brilliant twist. Heavy Spoilers for the game Get Even (It's a briliant ending. Play Get Even if you can, don't read this because the story is sooo worth seeing blind.): Set up - Cole Black navigates his memories while being led by a man called Red, investigating the circumstances of the death of a hostage (Grace) that Black failed to save from a bomb strapped to her chest.

After beating the levels as Cole Black, which are jaunts through his memory as you try to piece the story together, the plot is still clear as mud - this is because Black has been hiding a lot of what really happened and intentionally loving up his own memories to avoid being found out, especially after realising just how much power the Guide character Red (who is really Grace's father) really has over him (because Black was put in a coma during the explosion and is completely at Red's mercy). Red, sick of Black's lies, pulls him out of the simulation permanently, and then you play as him, sorting through the most corrupted memories and trying to figure out what really happened.

Then, as Red reaches the truth he has a mental breakdown due to the stress and starts hallucinating Grace, only for his own world to start breaking down - and Grace herself to remove her own headset - she has actually been watching from the beginning. She survived the explosion although permanently crippled and has secretly been the real main character, and can optionally put her own headset back on to finish reliving her fathers memories as he kills the remaining loose end, then himself.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

DS2, on the other hand, makes it near impossible to run past foes because when you aggro an enemy they will never stop coming after you.

Removing the immunity when you go through a fog door was by far the most annoying design decision in DS2. Thank gently caress they revoked it in 3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gerblyn posted:

Removing the immunity when you go through a fog door was by far the most annoying design decision in DS2. Thank gently caress they revoked it in 3.

I loved murdering people right as they reached the end of the belltower in DS2. It's what you get for touching that bell rear end in a top hat

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm sure it was easier to run past everyone in original DS2. The SotFS enemy placements seemed designed to make it impossible.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

This is the opposite of reality. There's multiple areas in DS2 where you can cheese the aggro leash because the distance they run before breaking off is less than your bow range.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BioEnchanted posted:

Protip: Ignore the SMG they start you with and try to work through enemies with .45 pistol headshots whenever possible. The base SMG is loving awful and even fully upgraded never quite manages to be worth using. The feel of combat is miles ahead of SR2's shonky GTA-style flailing but the weapon design is a mess, where most of the arsenal sucks until you get them fully upgraded, which takes forever.

Oh and abuse human shields as much as you can.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Futuresight posted:

The alternate start mod which lets you start before helgen is the best solely because you never fight any lovely dragons.

New Butt Order posted:

This is the opposite of reality. There's multiple areas in DS2 where you can cheese the aggro leash because the distance they run before breaking off is less than your bow range.

Bows break dark souls AI and most enemies are vulnerable to poison. If you find an area hard to run through, get some poison arrows and go to town.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That's exactly what happened to me as well! I want to play Skyrim sometimes then i remember all the bigshots i want to kill are invincible and the story is poo poo :/

But if everyone's killable you could mess up the story and have to reload your game! That's truly the worst fate of them all, no one liked having to hit the reload button in Morrowind because they couldn't stop murdering literally everyone!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
99% of games don't even let you attack NPCs, let alone kill important ones, and nobody ever seems to raise their hackles over them. Meanwhile Skyrim is almost a decade old and Fallout 3 is even older and this thread still can't go more than a week without someone complaining about it just because Bethesda is different because they're popular to hate because everybody is uncritically parroting the same YouTube video they saw once years ago for some reason.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nuebot posted:

But if everyone's killable you could mess up the story and have to reload your game! That's truly the worst fate of them all, no one liked having to hit the reload button in Morrowind because they couldn't stop murdering literally everyone!

I think the idea is that with the radiant AI they didn’t want to risk the plot being unwinnable because an important NPC got wasted by something entirely out of your control while you weren’t even nearby, but making it so that immortal characters are only invincible when attacked by other NPCs and can still be killed by you, the player, seems like such an obvious compromise between the two with no downsides that I don’t know how they didn’t think of it for Oblivion or Skyrim.

I don’t really mind because I don’t really go around on killing sprees anyway but every now and then you get something like the invincible captains of the Stormcloak camps when you’re at war with the Stormcloaks, or that racist guy attacking Dark Elves in Solitude, and you really notice that you can’t kill them for some reason.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jan 24, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

99% of games don't even let you attack NPCs, let alone kill important ones, and nobody ever seems to raise their hackles over them. Meanwhile Skyrim is almost a decade old and Fallout 3 is even older and this thread still can't go more than a week without someone complaining about it just because Bethesda is different because they're popular to hate because everybody is uncritically parroting the same YouTube video they saw once years ago for some reason.

it's stupid to give the player options and then expressly ignore them; this is something those 99% of games avoid by not giving you the option of attacking important npcs

bethseda games have gotten real bad about only delivering an illusion of choice while trying to avoid any of those choices having any kind of effect on the player's experience

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, certainly can't be the fact that they're constantly re-releasing Skyrim on every console

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, certainly can't be the fact that they're constantly re-releasing Skyrim on every console

If re-releasing a good game on modern systems was worthy of ridicule then people would never stop making fun of Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Didn't Morrowind give you a popup when you killed a plot critical NPC explaining that this world is now doomed and you should reload, but you're welcome to keep playing if you want.

Seems an elegant way to get around it. Wonder why they didn't keep doing that.