Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
NAMM is coming up! Who's excited for:

- A fundamental redesign of the guitar that serves no purpose other than costing $5000
- A microtonal touch controller that's kinda shaped like another instrument
- "Beautiful tone" demo videos in a noisy room without a line input
- People complaining that a new synth doesn't have every feature known to man while costing less than $500
- Anger over mini-keys
- New modular synth robot farts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

stillvisions posted:

- A fundamental redesign of the guitar that serves no purpose other than costing $5000

I thought Gibson wasn't attending?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

stillvisions posted:

I think of all the stupid music poo poo on the internet, this pisses me off the most.

“Hey everybody here’s my new $3,000 amp rig, check out how great it sounds!”

*Records playing through the shittiest cell phone / 90’s camcorder mic possible that’s all the way across the non-carpeted room and may or may not be facing the amp*

Actually, even with a good mic, there’s so much you can do with postproduction nowadays that about the only thing you can really, honestly tell from almost any tone demo you listen to is that the device in question does in fact actually turn on and produce sound.

Bonus points if the amplifier is obviously primarily a high gain amp and the reviewer spends the first 10 minutes playing through the afterthought of a clean channel because it’s “channel 1.”

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 23, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

kjetting posted:

Meshuggah actually recorded their latest album "live" in the studio with real amplifiers and miced drums. Of course it's still tight as gently caress because these guys are machines, but it was still pretty cool for the "godfathers" of Djent to flip off their imitators like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHYopyQTwHk

Thomas Haake is loving amazing.

As someone who can't stand Meshuggah and recorded their lovely "album" live, this is impressive since my efforts sound like complete dick.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

stillvisions posted:

- A microtonal touch controller that's kinda shaped like another instrument
- People complaining that a new synth doesn't have every feature known to man while costing less than $500
- Anger over mini-keys
- New modular synth robot farts!

Has anybody DISRUPTED the guitar yet though? That's gotta come soon.

(ok, I googled some and allegedly Line 6 DISRUPTED the market with the Variax, making Gibson and Fender quake in their boots. We can see how all of that ended up what with all of us using Variaxes these days.)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 23, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Carnaticum posted:

perfect guitar for the lessons presented, IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-oLZBmZsvI

too many strings for that song

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Clayton Bigsby posted:

(ok, I googled some and allegedly Line 6 DISRUPTED the market with the Variax, making Gibson and Fender quake in their boots. We can see how all of that ended up what with all of us using Variaxes these days.)

Line 6 tries a lot but guitarists are dumb and it always ends up being that scene in metalocalypse where they say everything sounds like microchips

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Guitar players can be really dumb but in all fairness Line6's stuff sounds like crap 99% of the time.

I'd say the Axe-Fx/Kemper were the last real "disruptors" of the guitar world. There hasn't really been much in the way of guitars disrupting anything in the last... 20 years or so though? I mean maybe the surge in popularity of 7-strings because of djent stuff. There have been innovations like the buzz fieten tuning system and evertune bridges and stuff like that but they're not nearly widespread enough to consider them disrupting anything.

I'd love to have a Fernandez Sustainer system installed on a goofy shredder though. Then again I think that innovation is more than 20 years old. Still though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 23, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest disruption is that there are some great guitars for less than $500 now

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yeah, the guitar is a solved design. The disruption now is gonna come in the form of production methods and materials.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ergonomics of most guitars are hilariously awful and people like Ola Strandberg are makes huge strides.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ergonomics of most guitars are hilariously awful and people like Ola Strandberg are makes huge strides.

Yeah but headless guitars are the dorkiest looking things on the planet and thus not worth whatever innovations they might bring.

edit: I'd rather play a Keytar.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 23, 2018

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

CheesyDog posted:

The biggest disruption is that there are some great guitars for less than $500 now

But the self cannibalization of guitar market isn't new. See Fender and their Squire line starting off in Japan, gaining a reputation, then rebranding to Fender and moving Squire to Korea or Indonesia.

We really are living in a pretty good time to play guitar. In 1965 you can go down to your local Sears & Roebuck and buy a Japanese made Harmony / Kay / Tiesco guitar for $65...which has the same buying power of ~$500 today. And if you have played one of those 60's guitars you know that $500 goes a LOT further today.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah but headless guitars are the dorkiest looking things on the planet and thus not worth whatever innovations they might bring.

edit: I'd rather play a Keytar.

Eh I like them when they’re done well. Strandbergs look great, most don’t.

The new Masvidal sig looks killer

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

CheesyDog posted:

This is the truth imo.

I have a Squire Jaguar that plays as good as any Jag I've ever played, and i got it for 300 bucks.

Only changes I made was plopping a Mustang bridge onto it. Even the "Duncan Designed" pickups sound great. It's my #1 go to guitar now.

Import guitars have gotten sooo much better. "American Made" isn't a big deal anymore imo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, the biggest disruption for me, tone-wise, was the fact that instead of paying up the rear end, you can buy apps / small amps and get decent/good/great tone in the US$500 range. For 2018 I literally just started leaving my amps in the storage or in the rehearsing room of one of the bands I'm in because at home I can record pretty solid demos with my Snot-Green Yamaha Amp. I paid like 250 for it and I can dial really killer tones that translate into really good demos and I can share those with my band to get ideas flowing super quick.

Practicality-wise, I want to say that the Evertune bridge seems like the greatest thing ever because the other guitar player in my post-rockish band has one in 2 of her guitars and goddamn does she sometimes go wild on-stage with her shenanigans and at no point is she ever out of tune and I want it installed in one of my guitars.

Malaria posted:

Import guitars have gotten sooo much better. "American Made" isn't a big deal anymore imo
And yeah, basically this. I have 9 guitars and 5 of those are Korean-made and doggone are they fierce.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

s.i.r.e. posted:

As someone who can't stand Meshuggah and recorded their lovely "album" live, this is impressive since my efforts sound like complete dick.

I'm a big fan of them, but even if I wasn't I would have to admire them for their musical skill, performance and innovation. They were doing this back in the nineties before Djent was a genre (or a meme as it is nowadays) and before 8-string guitars and polyrhythms was a cliché. They also look really cool while playing it, rock out to the grooves and manage to recreate live what they were playing in the studio.

I loving hate a lot of modern metal. I hate the programmed drums or trigged drums that are sound replaced and beat detectived until they could as well have been programmed, and the bass drums that sound like snapping your fingers. I hate the semi-sweeping riffs that don't have any other function than jamming as many tones as possible into every beat, and had to be recorded at half speed and then sped up to make all the tones audible. I hate everything sounding so polished and perfect.
I hate things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBvgEmCD1x4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfT3vcG4qZc

Meshuggah's Fredrik Thordendal and Thomas Haake have to take some of the blame for inspiring this poo poo, as they pioneered a lot of the techniques and esthetics, but they were always and are still doing new and different things with their music, while their imitators are conforming to silly rules like alway including breakdowns in a song and whatnot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

kjetting posted:

I'm a big fan of them, but even if I wasn't I would have to admire them for their musical skill, performance and innovation. They were doing this back in the nineties before Djent was a genre (or a meme as it is nowadays) and before 8-string guitars and polyrhythms was a cliché. They also look really cool while playing it, rock out to the grooves and manage to recreate live what they were playing in the studio.

I loving hate a lot of modern metal. I hate the programmed drums or trigged drums that are sound replaced and beat detectived until they could as well have been programmed, and the bass drums that sound like snapping your fingers. I hate the semi-sweeping riffs that don't have any other function than jamming as many tones as possible into every beat, and had to be recorded at half speed and then sped up to make all the tones audible. I hate everything sounding so polished and perfect.
I hate things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBvgEmCD1x4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfT3vcG4qZc

Meshuggah's Fredrik Thordendal and Thomas Haake have to take some of the blame for inspiring this poo poo, as they pioneered a lot of the techniques and esthetics, but they were always and are still doing new and different things with their music, while their imitators are conforming to silly rules like alway including breakdowns in a song and whatnot.

Mic Gordon (guy who made the Doom2016 soundtrack et al) has some cool new techniques that he came up with or used on that project, like the opposite of the Rings of Saturn method where you record it at double speed then play it back to make it sound heavier and nastier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY&t=1850s

Actually he stole the idea from Marilyn Manson's producer. Also check out the video to hear about why he used a 9 string, even saying "it was the dumbest thing and that's why I used it"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Clayton Bigsby posted:

there was that pretty neat guitar moog made about a decade ago but like all things it carried a moog price tag

GreatGreen posted:

I'd say the Axe-Fx/Kemper were the last real "disruptors" of the guitar world. There hasn't really been much in the way of guitars disrupting anything in the last... 20 years or so though? I mean maybe the surge in popularity of 7-strings because of djent stuff. There have been innovations like the buzz fieten tuning system and evertune bridges and stuff like that but they're not nearly widespread enough to consider them disrupting anything.

the whole lunchbox trend has probably put off the death of tube amps for another decade or two

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 23, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As much as I hate the music industry being permanently stuck in the past I really wish modeling amps were not the most boring uninspiring things in the universe.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wish modelling amps had good UIs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

As much as I hate the music industry being permanently stuck in the past I really wish modeling amps were not the most boring uninspiring things in the universe.

if they could figure out a way to model the chest-level thump you get from a speaker pushing air they'd be alright

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wish modelling amps had good UIs

:lol: yeah. I like Bias on the software side at least.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if they could figure out a way to model the chest-level thump you get from a speaker pushing air they'd be alright

Just run them into a cab. But yeah. I don’t even miss that since I’m always playing at bedroom volume. There is something to the real cab feel though at any volume.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh gently caress, to continue my recent posts, Strandberg did a thing

I’m so confused but I like it???

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'll give them props for moving beyond the stereotypical djent machine but I can't see Tele fans being super into a Technecaster.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh gently caress, to continue my recent posts, Strandberg did a thing

I’m so confused but I like it???

I love that guitar in every way except the lack of a baseplate on the bridge pickup. Tele bridge routes always look awful without one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Mic Gordon (guy who made the Doom2016 soundtrack et al) has some cool new techniques that he came up with or used on that project, like the opposite of the Rings of Saturn method where you record it at double speed then play it back to make it sound heavier and nastier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY&t=1850s

Actually he stole the idea from Marilyn Manson's producer. Also check out the video to hear about why he used a 9 string, even saying "it was the dumbest thing and that's why I used it"

That's an interesting idea but in the example sounds super lovely but the Doom 2016 soundtrack is one of the worst game soundtracks and metal albums I've ever heard.

It should have all been stolen music again. lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's an interesting idea but in the example sounds super lovely but the Doom 2016 soundtrack is one of the worst game soundtracks and metal albums I've ever heard.

:wtc: it’s one of my favorite soundtracks ever and I still listen to the album every now and then

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Doom 2016 soundtrack literally gets me pumped up to do anything. I've listened to that soundtrack while playing other games because most other game soundtracks don't even come close.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Doom 2016 soundtrack literally gets me pumped up to do anything. I've listened to that soundtrack while playing other games because most other game soundtracks don't even come close.

I listened to it before my last workout and nearly shat myself

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

s.i.r.e. posted:

You heretic!

I sincerely love the doom2016 soundtrack and think it's the best one of nearly any videogame I've ever heard. Seriously, BFG Division is heavy as gently caress and completely fits the tone of the game, as well as being brutal as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Malaria posted:

This is very true. I bought a PRS Custom 22 in the late 90’s for right around 2 grand. In 2017 I bought a Fender Mexican Baja Telecaster for just over $500 and it is, playability wise, absolutely every bit as good.* and last year I also spent just under $500 on an Indonesian shredder with a locking trem I absolutely cannot divebomb out of tune and HSH config, and it plays excellently. For under $500.

*I played like 8 of them before I found the one I loved so it’s definitely not a guarantee, but it’s possible if you spend time looking, which is incredible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm at a Sleep show (waiting for them to go on) and trying to count how many Marshalls they have on stage. It's no less than 10 ahahahaha

My ears are about to bleed. gently caress me.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Probably should have posted this here first but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcVHk3s6UW4

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Probably should have posted this here first but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcVHk3s6UW4

I don't see anything hilarious about this video. Dude's just having fun rocking out to some good tunes.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

And you can get a perfectly playable guitar for a hell of a lot less. Just look at the reviews of the sub-150 dollar guitars on the market; sure there are some duds but the majority appear to be perfectly OK instruments even though they don't use any higher grade hardware. Back when I started (late 80s) it would've been unfathomable to get something this cheap you can actually use.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm at a Sleep show (waiting for them to go on) and trying to count how many Marshalls they have on stage. It's no less than 10 ahahahaha

My ears are about to bleed. gently caress me.

They're playing here Thursday and I can't get off work.

This is like the fourth time they've played this area in the last few years and I haven't seen them once. (usually because it's part of a festival or sold out before I even hear about it)

gently caress this entire existence.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
They didn't play here because the promoter for the Australia/NZ tour was grooming underage girls, and a bunch of bands (Sleep, Chelsea Wolfe, others...) rightfully cancelled their gigs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chalupa Joe posted:

They didn't play here because the promoter for the Australia/NZ tour was grooming underage girls, and a bunch of bands (Sleep, Chelsea Wolfe, others...) rightfully cancelled their gigs.

holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

You heretic!

I sincerely love the doom2016 soundtrack and think it's the best one of nearly any videogame I've ever heard. Seriously, BFG Division is heavy as gently caress and completely fits the tone of the game, as well as being brutal as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

I think it's a collection of generic djenty trash without a good riff or melody line. Remove the guitar parts and there's something of interest but once those pieces of poo poo come on, faaaaaaart. I love the game to death and I remember all of it, from the kills, weapons and levels almost by heart but I can't hum a single riff from the soundtrack. BFG Division is the same riff for 9 minutes; it's an absolute chore. I've tried listening to the soundtrack on it's own several times and I've never made it through. Then again, I wouldn't consider myself a big metalhead so it probably just isn't for me.