Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been wondering in what context did Settra create his catch-phase? You're a world conqueror and angry mummy, who's ever going to assume that you're open to instruction?

I have to assume that he just busted a vein the one time someone asked him to pass the humus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been wondering in what context did Settra create his catch-phase? You're a world conqueror and angry mummy, who's ever going to assume that you're open to instruction?

I have to assume that he just busted a vein the one time someone asked him to pass the humus.

I'm pretty sure it was when Nagash tried to tell him what to do post-mummying, probably.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i fully support finishing the Hat Review Series

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Night10194 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was when Nagash tried to tell him what to do post-mummying, probably.

it was an End Times thing where Settra more or less socked him in the face, Nagash went "yo, alright, I'm impressed, let me offer you a C-level position", and Settra

did not accept

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

It's from the End Times books, actually. The Chaos Gods, all four of them, went up to Settra and offered him the job of Everchosen with dominion over all the world and anything else he desired from them and could possibly want... in exchange for his servitude. Settra's response was what's become his catchphrase.

I think most of the love for Settra comes from him being a genuinely well-written badass character during the End Times, one of the very few characters you can say that about. Khalida also made out quite well. In the final hours of the world's existence, Khalida put aside her differences with her arch-enemy/jilted ex-girlfriend Neferata and they united their armies to defend the last city of living humans against an endless army of daemons as the world ended around them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Not that any of it mattered or accomplished anything, of course.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Kroq-Gar's start in Mortal Empires... is... loving AWESOME. My Stegadon has already killed two thousand rats securing the first province and my co-op friend and I have both beat back 4000+ Skaven ambushes with our ability split the micro.

Ze Pollack posted:

at high levels, once everyone else has their monsters and whatnot, he becomes less of a threat.

at low levels, when you are most likely to encounter him, he is easily more threatening than the rest of his army put together.
Except for his Doomdiver :xd:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i fully support finishing the Hat Review Series

The fact that it's not in the OP yet is borderline criminal.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shumagorath posted:

Kroq-Gar's start in Mortal Empires... is... loving AWESOME. My Stegadon has already killed two thousand rats securing the first province.

Just wait until the hellwar against the skeletons and zombies begins. I'm curious as to how it plays out now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I love the Warsphinx's animation.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Night10194 posted:

End_Times.txt

-

Playing as Settra, after unlocking Dynasties and taking the hit to research % it seems to climb back up on its own. Is there something I'm missing here? I thought the only way to regain some research %s was via a Lich Priest skill, but I don't actually have any right now. Bug?

Deffo a bug: I seem able to recruit multiple instances of the Tomb Guard RoR.

No mods installed atm so I'm wondering if anyone else got these bugs as well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

It's from the End Times books, actually. The Chaos Gods, all four of them, went up to Settra and offered him the job of Everchosen with dominion over all the world and anything else he desired from them and could possibly want... in exchange for his servitude. Settra's response was what's become his catchphrase.

I think most of the love for Settra comes from him being a genuinely well-written badass character during the End Times, one of the very few characters you can say that about. Khalida also made out quite well. In the final hours of the world's existence, Khalida put aside her differences with her arch-enemy/jilted ex-girlfriend Neferata and they united their armies to defend the last city of living humans against an endless army of daemons as the world ended around them.

See, if the canon reason why Slaanesh doesn't exist anymore in Age of Sigmar were that Settra successfully wandered out into the Chaos Wastes and tore him/her in half

Maybe we would hate Age of Sigmar less.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Night10194 posted:

I would be shocked if Age of Sigmar is making even half of what Total Warhammer is. I know they want to copyright poo poo like "aelfs" and sigmarines and the statue outside their HQ is a sigmarine now but they really need to just give up and bring back the old world.

turn off the TV posted:

Just wait until the hellwar against the skeletons and zombies begins. I'm curious as to how it plays out now.
Yeah and my friend went with Teclis instead of Settra so I have that to look forward to afterward.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I wish the necrotect had a construct mount, either laying down in a tomb scorpion or on the shoulders of an ushabti. Without a good mount he's just kind of poop.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

KazigluBey posted:

End_Times.txt

-

Playing as Settra, after unlocking Dynasties and taking the hit to research % it seems to climb back up on its own. Is there something I'm missing here? I thought the only way to regain some research %s was via a Lich Priest skill, but I don't actually have any right now. Bug?

All settlement buildings seem to have a +% to research iirc. As you improve your provinces your research bonuses go up.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

End_Times.txt

-

Settlements give bonuses to research as tomb kings, so as long as you’re expanding its not too difficult to get over the research penalties.

Efb

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shumagorath posted:

I would be shocked if Age of Sigmar is making even half of what Total Warhammer is. I know they want to copyright poo poo like "aelfs" and sigmarines and the statue outside their HQ is a sigmarine now but they really need to just give up and bring back the old world.

From what's been officially said, AoS is actually doing pretty well for itself. Just... not with fans of WHF. It's attracting its own audience.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cythereal posted:

From what's been officially said, AoS is actually doing pretty well for itself. Just... not with fans of WHF. It's attracting its own audience.

Yet more reason the two should coexist. AoS would be better outside of WHFB's shadow and WHFB would be better if it currently existed.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Age of sigmar is a worse setting but a better game in every way. It is for sure a huge upgrade from fantasy mechanically. With 40k they just threw out a new edition and called it a day but I can see why they did what they did to fantasy.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Gay Horney posted:

Age of sigmar is a worse setting but a better game in every way. It is for sure a huge upgrade from fantasy mechanically. With 40k they just threw out a new edition and called it a day but I can see why they did what they did to fantasy.

It really isn't. We didn't need to trade in rank-and-file fantasy warfare for lovely skirmish formation 40k-but-dumber

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
CA is in full teasing mode with some of the new events, apparently.

quote:

Here are my collection of easter eggs or potential faction hints from the .xml files,

Paychest Mercenaries

"There is talk of entire armies who fight without a cause of their own, instead offering their services in return for payment in gold! Such soldiers cannot be trusted - we must ensure they are not used against us"

Undead Pirates

"A rumour has reached us, from far across the sea, that a Vampire has located a chamber of untold power, deep within Lustria. Although he failed to harvest its power for his own Unliving ends, the chamber collapsed, releasing the magic trapped within!"

Jungle Warriors

"Whilst travelling through Lustria's jungles, one of our regiments has been attacked by a band of warrior-women who moved silently through the trees before disappearing again as swiftly as they appeared. We should proceed with caution."

Boiling Point

"Those half-sized men have devised a primitive yet highly-effective weapon. The pots of fiery liquid thrown at our forces burn through both armour and bones alike - we should be weary of this strange, new technology."

Otherwise you just got the usual Tomb Kings beings Tomb Kings stuff which is not really note worthy.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Games > Total War: Warhammer 2 - Savage Hat Critiques and Golden Bone Lords

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Age of Sigmar has been improving gameplay wise and setting wise recently.

Neferata and Mannfred have also created new Kingdoms for themselves there. Called funny enough NuLamia and Carsteinia.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
At the very least, GW seems willing to keep WHF around as an IP, not just in Total War Warhammer and other video games but by greenlighting a new edition of the TT RPG and what not.

Maybe someday there will be enough demand for a rank and file game that they'll dust it off, but I doubt it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I don't give a poo poo if Age of Sigmar is around and people like it or whatever as long as we get stuff like Total Warhams.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

Age of Sigmar has been improving gameplay wise and setting wise recently.

Neferata and Mannfred have also created new Kingdoms for themselves there. Called funny enough NuLamia and Carsteinia.
It's like they're deliberately making the names bad. Do the Ogres celebrate the festival of Newmanium?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man I am so good at sniping last post, I don't know why.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish they just went the whole hog and called it Carsteinvania.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Arglebargle III posted:

Man I am so good at sniping last post, I don't know why.

Not as good as you think :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Good lord TK basic units are bad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yikes, playing Tomb Kings is really way less satisfying than expected. Settra in particular. Like, sure the basic units are bad but if that's gonna be the case then the hammers in the hammer and anvil arrangement need to actually be good. Settra's starting Warsphinx is the only thing he has worth any damns at all.

Chariots probably need to be buffed, as is it's just a totally miserable early game of dying in droves to Greenskins.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man, getting sacked as tomb kings is a very big deal. Much more important than for other factions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm pretty happy with Khalida so far. The thing about the basic TK units sucking is, you can stack buffs on them to faintly ridiculous levels.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm pretty happy with Khalida so far. The thing about the basic TK units sucking is, you can stack buffs on them to faintly ridiculous levels.

From what I'm reading it sounds like Khalida has a start position where she can more feasibly reach that point. Settra starts off right next to the faction single best suited to absolutely ruin your day when you don't have any of those buffs yet.

It is not a good time.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

From what I'm reading it sounds like Khalida has a start position where she can more feasibly reach that point. Settra starts off right next to the faction single best suited to absolutely ruin your day when you don't have any of those buffs yet.

It is not a good time.

Setra's starting situation in ME is probably the equivalent of adding 2-3 levels of difficulty.

You start at war with a faction with multiple times your territory, multiple stacks and fields the exact counter to your army.

Also the fact that they haven't fixed the loving retarded AI evasiveness, as well as units forgetting orders, it getting close to a deal breaker for future expansion at this point.

Xae fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 24, 2018

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
Tomb kings basics are bad at killing, but they're fine at causing a few casualties and taking time to kill. Everything above the basic skeleton units seem at least interesting. Anyone using those easily accessible Nehekhara Warriors in your lines? They seem like they'd be a good finisher for an old fashioned infantry envelopment.

I *really* like the pseudo legendary lords in the tech tree and the recruitment limit with this faction so far, my armies and banners are diverse and interesting, and have a lot of cool flavor behind them. There's also enough choice that I've made a bunch of meaningful decisions building my forces, but they didn't feel like the only way to go.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm loving the Tomb Kings. They suit my playstyle perfectly -- kinda slow to get started, but excellent defenders who can build up tremendous momentum. Has anybody figured out their perfect endgame stack? Right now I'm running with:

- Khalida
- Necrotect
- Lore of Nehekhara Liche Priest
- 3 Tomb Guard
- 2 Halberd Tomb Guard
- 4 Skeleton Archers
- 2 Necropolis Knights
- 1 Halberd Necropolis Knights
- 2 Great Bow Ushabti
- 1 Hierotitan
- 1 Necrosphinx
- 1 Casket of Souls

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like having a couple of tomb scorpions in my army, they're becoming my preferred linebreaker in the absence of a heirotitan and I haven't been finding much use for the TK cavalry.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've been slamming a line of chariots straight down the center and charging my skeleton infantry in after them. The skeletons tend to break savage orc infantry that way. They do take pretty horrendous casualties but they are skelly men. It would be nice to have a raise dead mechanic to completely trivialize chaff production but that's too close to VC anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is not a good time.

Yeah, I really have no idea why Settra is "Easy". His campaign in both Vortex and ME seems uh, not great.

With Khalida you get a ton of archers/good starting position/great nearby allies.

With Arkhan you have the ABSURD 50% damage reduction you can AoE spam during battles that make your chaff unkillable, a great lore of magic, and are fighting largely Brettonian armies of nothing but peasants ( which you don't really need to be bothered by. ).

With Khatep you have the initial speedbump of potentially getting wiped out on turn 1, but after that you'll be able to slam out armies and ally with Tretch/Mazdamundi vs the DElves.

With Settra you get to face Savage Orcs for 20 turns with skellybois. Yikes.

In other news Tretch is the best new lord in the game, and everyone should Tretch if they get bored with TK. He's basically miniSkarsnik/Vlad. He's absurdly good at buffing his dudes, and if you get the drop on enemies you can really wreck them before they have a chance to really fight you. Add in Vanguard on everything, and basically every battle is you starting by destroying the enemies backline and then getting to pick and choose what to take out from there. It's really really absurd and some of the most fun I've had in this game.

He's also not really DElf focused either. Beating up the DElves around you and taking SEast Naggaroth tends to get Malekith to like you, so you can ally him fast. You basically blitz some lovely DElf settlements ( and I mean lovely settlements, these are the assholes nobody likes that only have a few armies and no real good magic/lords that make the DElves good. ) and then take out Momrathi and you get to do whatever you want. If you go west you fight TK. South and you fight Momrathi/eventually Mazdamundi, north and more DElfs, and east and you can land on and take over Nagarythe and fight HElves.