Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I guess the usage I have in mind is "look up obscure interaction" - roll20 falls short when I have to look up things whose rules are spread across multiple places, like grappling, or what casting a spell as a ritual means. Links are cool but not really enough.

You can easily look up stuff.

Here try it I think everything will show up but stuff you don't own you won't have access to. All the Basic and SRD stuff is free so I know you can find most things.
https://www.dndbeyond.com/search

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I use 5etools to do basically everything you guys have already said.
https://5etools.com/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pussy Quipped posted:

I use 5etools to do basically everything you guys have already said.
https://5etools.com/

Ahh I see. I think this is illegal and will totally get shut down at some point.

Edit: Discount I think this is illegal. This it straight up is Illegal all the Adventures have been reprinted in here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah 5etools I've used when looking at mystic disciplines, it's really nice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yeah 5etools I've used when looking at mystic disciplines, it's really nice.

It is nice from taking a look. But I doubt it will last forever. It contains most of the stuff D&D Beyond has minus the Character Creator from what I can see.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ahh I see. I think this is illegal and will totally get shut down at some point.

Edit: Discount I think this is illegal. This it straight up is Illegal all the Adventures have been reprinted in here.

If you're reporting this to WotC I swear to god.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
WotC made MPMB pull their great character sheet from DM's Guild, and didn't OrcPub run into snags as well? It's not unreasonable to expect that they'll take steps to protect their IP, especially since failing to defend a copyright voids it. We don't all have to scream at ME just because they're posting, and they're not wrong about this one.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's more wrong to make the SA forums worse (by invalidating a posted link) than it is to violate WotC or indeed anyone's copyright.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

it's kind of silly to pretend like googling "players handbook" and looking at the first page doesn't get you the desired result across multiple editions anyway

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's more wrong to make the SA forums worse (by invalidating a posted link) than it is to violate WotC or indeed anyone's copyright.

:filez: doesn’t apply here? It’s a direct link to a site that distributes content in violation of its copyright license.

If “it’s easy to find that game/movie/album/book” is an out, it’s new to me even within TG.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

:filez: doesn’t apply here?
Uhh I am not the mod of this forum and it most certainly does. It's easy to find even obscure RPG books, that doesn't change the ethics in any way in my eyes. It just is also completely absurd how easy it is and non-obvious that you've done wrong in this instance. If a guy wants to read about dnd 5e and you tell him "oh, check out the 5e players handbook", they are likely to, in 100% good faith, google it and pirate it without knowing that it is supposed to cost money, despite the fact that we're talking two standard english words here and nothing D&D-specific. I am not commenting on the ethics of pirating stuff in general.

The actual ethical thing I did comment on was getting this one website taken down. That is a quite different question and the answer to me is "no" - I think doing so will hurt some individuals a lot while not really helping anyone, since all the pirated material exists and is trivially easy to find. The fact that this pirated material is well-organized isn't driving more people to choose piracy. This just hurts people trying to actually play d&d with the material as distributed, so don't do it.

I think WotC is being pretty small-minded here and I feel no ethical qualms violating their rules, particularly for books I've already paid for (twice, in some instances). I do feel bad about breaking Ettin's rule though because it puts him in a weird position so he can probate me or tell me to probate myself if he wants to!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 24, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

:filez: is :filez: even if, as ever, third-party tools vastly outperform WotC offerings.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I think WotC is being pretty small-minded here and I feel no ethical qualms violating their rules, particularly for books I've already paid for (twice, in some instances). I do feel bad about breaking Ettin's rule though because it puts him in a weird position so he can probate me or tell me to probate myself if he wants to!!!

Why? You did not post the link.

dont even fink about it posted:

:filez: is :filez: even if, as ever, third-party tools vastly outperform WotC offerings.

Well it does not outperform it in this case. It's just free while Beyond is not.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 24, 2018

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well it does not outperform it in this case. It's just free while one is not.

5etools is light years better than what WotC has to offer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NachtSieger posted:

Not really. It pretty much does the same thing as Beyond with fewer links across the thing. And it lacks a character builder from what I can tell from searching around.

Beyond is not like amazingly better or anything just slightly, but from examining them both I would give the point for looks and functionality to Beyond. 5etools however is free and you get access to everything without having to pay. Which would make me pick 5etools over beyond in a heartbeat if it was official.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I liked Orcpub but didn't the creator try to play the victim card with WotC told him to stop making their books free?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
5etools is way better than beyond as a reference tool.

It also has, in fact, been taken down multiple times. It just goes back up again hosted in a different country or github repo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am not commenting on the ethics of pirating stuff in general.

I think you are. The “it’s more convenient”, “it’s easy to find”, and “those people wouldn’t have bought it anyway” arguments are chestnuts going back before we were told not to download cars. There’s no reason to knowingly aid in violating WotC’s copyrights that doesn’t apply to Battlefield or Mad Max or 1Q84 or some album I’m not cool enough to know the name of. That someone might accidentally pirate doesn’t excuse deliberate encouragement, or defending some developer’s knowing and involved infringement.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I dunno what orcpub is but game rules aren't copyrightable - 5etools is the first of these addon tools that actually meaningfully infringes because they clearly are hosting full pdf adventures, artwork and all. Most of the text of the PHB, especially the rules themselves and not the manner in which they're written doesn't fall under copyright in the US. If WotC is using their size and the threat of a frivolous lawsuit to bully him into taking down a legal website, he is right to complain. (Somehow I doubt this though, no one ever does it right because they're trying to help people right now more than establish legal precedent. Sad world.)

Subjunctive posted:

I think you are. The “it’s more convenient”, “it’s easy to find”, and “those people wouldn’t have bought it anyway” arguments are chestnuts going back before we were told not to download cars. There’s no reason to knowingly aid in violating WotC’s copyrights that doesn’t apply to Battlefield or Mad Max or 1Q84 or some album I’m not cool enough to know the name of. That someone might accidentally pirate doesn’t excuse deliberate encouragement, or defending some developer’s knowing and involved infringement.
I had two discrete points - "it's bad to take down this website", and "D&D is ludicrously easy to pirate to the point where it's not even obvious you're doing so". Only the first one said anything about ethics, and only the ethics of getting an existing infringing website removed, not whether to use said website without paying or not. I'm attempting to frame things in the mindsets that others have because I don't want assume that the room agrees with me - you'll know when I comment on the ethics of piracy in general because my points will be more extreme than any of that stuff. I think the website, as an organized well-structured resource for 5e DMs and players, helps more people in greater amounts than it hurts and thus should stay up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 24, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's huge gaps in CR for stuff you can run in the Feywild, so I was stoked to back this. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1586134783/faerie-fire-a-5e-supplemental?ref=email

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

5etools is way better than beyond as a reference tool.

It also has, in fact, been taken down multiple times. It just goes back up again hosted in a different country or github repo.

Yeah as a reference tool cause it's free. Like it's no better mechanically at finding rules and other things. (Slightly worse as some of the stuff does not have links that D&D Beyond does have.) But it's free so you are not locked out of anything like you are on beyond.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are the spell descriptions and feat descriptions redone, or lifted wholesale?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 24, 2018

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's huge gaps in CR for stuff you can run in the Feywild, so I was stoked to back this. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1586134783/faerie-fire-a-5e-supplemental?ref=email

If you’re looking for more Feywild creatures, Kobold Press’s Tome of Beasts has a ton of them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Subjunctive posted:

Are the spell descriptions and feat descriptions redone, or lifted wholesale?

In 5eTools? Lifted wholesale from checking quickly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MonsterEnvy posted:

In 5eTools? Lifted wholesale from checking quickly.

Yeah, it would be hard to reword things in 5e given how much the specific ~~natural language~~ matters. The rules are the SRD, but 5etools clearly extends to content.

This isn’t a legal site, and it’s not trying to be. WotC has every right to shut it down.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Okay? I think the world is better if it's not shut down and so I'm going to try and prevent that in whatever little way I can, regardless of what WotC thinks. I don't care about The Law.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Shitshow posted:

If you’re looking for more Feywild creatures, Kobold Press’s Tome of Beasts has a ton of them.

Yep. I'm doing the initial gruntwork for a Feywild campaign on roll20 and I've added all the SRD things that'd be there with art and up next is the remaining MM and Volo's stuff, which'll have to be entered by hand, then Tome of Beasts.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Remember when D&D had an online subscriber service you were actually in to paying for?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, it would be hard to reword things in 5e given how much the specific ~~natural language~~ matters. The rules are the SRD, but 5etools clearly extends to content.

This isn’t a legal site, and it’s not trying to be. WotC has every right to shut it down.

Yeah but its a github so its comically easy to just copy and rehost by any idiot with the most basic of IT skills.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kingcom posted:

Yeah but its a github so its comically easy to just copy and rehost by any idiot with the most basic of IT skills.

Right, my point is neither “copyright protects the wording not the rules” nor “WotC shouldn’t bully a legal site” are supported by the facts, as was asserted earlier. I know it’s not hard to do.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Right, my point is neither “copyright protects the wording not the rules” nor “WotC shouldn’t bully a legal site” are supported by the facts, as was asserted earlier. I know it’s not hard to do.

Right thats fair enough, WotC should definitely go and take it down and they've taken it down a couple of times already. It's just, you know. Not a solution to the problem.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

My impression is that one can say "don't be a loving snitch" without denying that WOTC has a legal case with regards these websites.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I referred to the wordings in the case of another site where the guy complained about it - I said his complaints are valid if he reworded stuff, and I don't know if he did. Obviously 5e tools contains all the art and adventure content, that was never in dispute.

The MPMB character sheet or whatever was certainly just rules though and they still took that down. I imagine that was more than offering the carrot to dmsguild in the form of those sponsored content deals, more so than a strong legal case.

I think wotc shouldn't bully them because the site helps people more than it hurts them and a hostile attitude towards the community will hurt them in the long run. That belief stands regardless of how legal it is. It's just extra shady when they do it to something that is operating within the law, as has been the case before.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The MPMB character sheet or whatever was certainly just rules though and they still took that down.

My old copy had feat and background descriptions verbatim at least.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'd like advice with an encounters for this weekend's session. I I know generally what I want to set up but am struggling with the details. The party are patrolling part of the countryside at risk from orc raids. The come across another group of encamped adventurers who are secretly brigands. If the party continues on, they will find wisps of smoke that lead them off the road to a farmstead that has been burned down, and is still smoldering. Further investigation will reveal the inhabitants were brutally murdered and robbed. The intended outcome of these encounters is for the party to investigate and discover the inn was burned and people murdered by the brigands and go confront them. My questions:

1) What are some things I can do to make the first encounter more suspicious and give the players a change to figure out they are dealing with criminals?

2) What are some investigation checks / clues I can leave at the farm to point back to the brigands?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Razorwired posted:

Remember when D&D had an online subscriber service you were actually in to paying for?

Yes and no, people rightfully complained about the 4e platform almost immediately, which now kinda works on Internet Explorer and that's about it.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Subjunctive posted:

My old copy had feat and background descriptions verbatim at least.

The maker of the sheet has gotten around everything fairly easily by simply allowing people to import custom data... which can include everything the old version of the sheet had, plus new stuff.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'd like advice with an encounters for this weekend's session. I I know generally what I want to set up but am struggling with the details. The party are patrolling part of the countryside at risk from orc raids. The come across another group of encamped adventurers who are secretly brigands. If the party continues on, they will find wisps of smoke that lead them off the road to a farmstead that has been burned down, and is still smoldering. Further investigation will reveal the inhabitants were brutally murdered and robbed. The intended outcome of these encounters is for the party to investigate and discover the inn was burned and people murdered by the brigands and go confront them. My questions:

1) What are some things I can do to make the first encounter more suspicious and give the players a change to figure out they are dealing with criminals?

2) What are some investigation checks / clues I can leave at the farm to point back to the brigands?

Brigand camp has recently washed clothes drying on a line, with bloodstains on them (not weird at first for adventurers, but will look more suspicious when they find the farmstead)
Brigands offer generic "adventurer" responses. We're on a quest, from the lord, to kill, uh, wolves? Yeah, wolves! We're eating one now (could be the farm dog if you want to be morbid, or a goat or something otherwise)
The Brigands mention that the farmstead was burned, but have weirdly specific knowledge that doesn't make sense when the party hits the farm (e.g., brigands say everyone was stabbed -- but some of the inhabitants are just skeletons in the burned down house now, why did you think they were stabbed?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

The brigands have loot from the farm, be it chunks of metal they've pulled from farming equipment, bags of food/crops, maybe even a family sword or something that doesn't spring up until you get to the farmstead and see the sword mounting over a fireplace that has a fancy carving on it matching the fancy sword the bandit leader had.