Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
alphasuit

e: gently caress, that was the worst snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is the game officially out-out now? I have been waiting to play this game forever but I wanted not to spoil the experience until it was complete. Is now the best time to "dive in"?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's gonna be out today, but steam still says early access, so my guess is, not just yet. IMO wait until it's patched to 1.0, no point in risking your save getting hosed up now.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Xanderkish posted:

Oh hey speaking of which, what do you guys like to name your vehicles? Me, I'm of simple tastes and I like to stick to a theme-- my Seamoth I call the Pimpmoth, my Prawnsuit the Pimpsuit, and my Cyclops the Pimpmersible.

Seamoth: COME ON BABY
Prawn: DONT FEAR
Cyclops: THE REAPER

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

Truga posted:

It's gonna be out today, but steam still says early access, so my guess is, not just yet. IMO wait until it's patched to 1.0, no point in risking your save getting hosed up now.

The release thing is in 6.5 hours, 9:30ish EST. Works out nicely, I'm almost at the point where I'll be ready for the new content.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Went deep underground for the first time, saw the thing patrolling there and noped out.

How do I get enough power cells for the cyclops to not drain it all fast? I got the 300% power efficiency, and I believe that doesn't stack. Went to the lava zone with 10 cells and barely made it back home

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jusupov posted:

Went deep underground for the first time, saw the thing patrolling there and noped out.

How do I get enough power cells for the cyclops to not drain it all fast? I got the 300% power efficiency, and I believe that doesn't stack. Went to the lava zone with 10 cells and barely made it back home

Use a knife or the repulsion cannon to knock the worms off of the sub.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

Jusupov posted:

IMO you're better off using the Prawn with the grappling hook arm. I don't even bother trying to wedge the Cyclops down there. There's a module for both that will help with the power drain that you can't miss if you're doing the story and heading in that direction with the Prawn will help you with that goal. Using the shield/sonar/silent running also drains the batteries pretty fast. But yeah, the cyclops eats power way faster than the last time I played.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skip the sonar and don't use the shield or silent running until you really need them. Much like the cyclops in general, it's not clear whether most of the cyclops features are meant to be used or not

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Just bought this two days ago and it is a blast to play.

I love exploration and the ocean, so diving down into the dark unknown is a great and terrifying experience.

I got my pod destroyed near the ship at night when a reaper came out of nowhere and grabbed my pod. I had to bail and lost a mk3 plus three other mods and equipment I had in storage. I love the fact that random stuff like that can happen.

I've also drown because I lost my ship as the beacon doesn't appear when you are close to it. I was down in the green river area, and had build a couple of buildings. Was collecting materials and got the warning panicked and couldn't find my ship then got stuck down there for a while because my ship was so far away from the base. Got in finally with 3 seconds left after a few tries.

It's too bad the developers are so moody and nonsupporting of the community. Mods could make this game a long term success.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Ganson posted:

IMO you're better off using the Prawn with the grappling hook arm. I don't even bother trying to wedge the Cyclops down there. There's a module for both that will help with the power drain that you can't miss if you're doing the story and heading in that direction with the Prawn will help you with that goal. Using the shield/sonar/silent running also drains the batteries pretty fast. But yeah, the cyclops eats power way faster than the last time I played.
This was the bad spot on that trip. Driving the cyclops isn't that bad when you use the camera above or below all the time, except in this spot. It was easy going down but got stuck coming up

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I've been waiting three years to play this game. I also play in the dark with headphones on, get scared very easily, and absolutely hate hate hate simulated voids in videogames. Falling through a level is enough to make me have to walk away from the screen.

I'm gonna make it like...an hour maybe?

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

Jusupov posted:

This was the bad spot on that trip. Driving the cyclops isn't that bad when you use the camera above or below all the time, except in this spot. It was easy going down but got stuck coming up

It's less that than the cyclops is a massive hassle most of the time. Things tend to just ignore the prawn or not be able to damage it in any considerable way if you take an armor module.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

the black husserl posted:

I've been waiting three years to play this game. I also play in the dark with headphones on, get scared very easily, and absolutely hate hate hate simulated voids in videogames. Falling through a level is enough to make me have to walk away from the screen.

I'm gonna make it like...an hour maybe?

Add VR to the mix and you'll be wetting your wetsuit in minutes!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ganson posted:

Add VR to the mix and you'll be wetting your wetsuit in minutes!

For full immersion, breathe through a snorkel and have your mom throw seaweed at you every 20 minutes or so.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I just loaded my save up while in the safe shallows and there's a bunch of "floaters" on my Cyclops that I've never seen before. I moved it into slightly deeper water so I could cut off the ones on top, got pushed up into the air as it floated back to the surface, and got instakilled. Probably thought I got hit by a fast-moving submersible or something.

When I respawned at the base right beside me, I saw that apparently the Cyclops got shoved around as well, since I saw this:

I'm going to need a bigger propulsion cannon.

e: reloaded the save and tried again further from the seafloor, didn't get killed this time around when the floaters made it emerge from the water. Hooray for videogame physics-damage randomness.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 23, 2018

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

When I built my first Cyclops it slowly, majestically floated over the vehicle platform as it materialized, killing me instantly when it dropped into the water.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I usually build my initial bases on a cliff in the safe shallows near a section of kelp forest. When I went to build my first cyclops I managed to make the platform spin around without noticing and it took me a few to realize the reason it wasn't sinking into the water was because I'd dropped it on my base.

I go way out into the red seaweed when spawning them now.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I usually build my initial bases on a cliff in the safe shallows near a section of kelp forest. When I went to build my first cyclops I managed to make the platform spin around without noticing and it took me a few to realize the reason it wasn't sinking into the water was because I'd dropped it on my base.

I go way out into the red seaweed when spawning them now.

:same:

God, fixing my base afterwords was embarsing.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

launch stream in 45min if anybody really cares.

https://www.twitch.tv/subnautica

at least they're playing sweet subnautica soundtrack tunes.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Woo! Launch day! I'm listening to sweet tunes in the twitch right now.

Can't wait to see what the launch version brings!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Also, after some brief googling, there's a bug report tracker here.
https://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/

If you want a laugh, read through the tickets. also be prepared to check back and see how bad it is post launch for a laugh.

Anyone want to place bets or a drinking game?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheParadigm posted:

If you want a laugh, read through the tickets. also be prepared to check back and see how bad it is post launch for a laugh.

I'm honestly hoping it turns out to be mostly okay "No guys, that will be totally fixed in 1.0!" miracle payoff, if with awkward remaining rough edges ala the levithan clipping :unsmith:

That said, I think a side bet counting the phrase "That's gamedev" would kill somebody from liver failure.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

off to a good start. its so broken the timer is now counting UP.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

:lol: at the counter hitting zero and then counting up

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It's also streaming on youtube with about a ~20 second delay. I'll be listening to it in the background while working since it's 3:15pm here....

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I love how the timer is counting up. T+ 4 minutes and counting!

Edit: And now the timer has stopped at T+9:59. hahaha

Vasler fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 24, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

quote:

Water floats into the escape pod while your inside it

2018-01-24 02:18:40

lmfao I haven't touched the game in months and they still haven't loving fixed this one?

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Vasler posted:

I love how the timer is counting up. T+ 4 minutes and counting!

Edit: And now the timer has stopped at T+9:59. hahaha

It's still going up for me, at +15:16 and counting.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Stream is delayed by techical difficulties.

:hmbol:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Guess we'll have to push the stream back six months.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
stream experience: peak subnautica

e: they tried to stream too fast and it caught on fire

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Hey actual stream!

... the audio is broken.

EDIT: Okay cool, you can actually hear them talk now and they are going to show the trailer.

EDIT again: Oh it's down again. :saddowns:

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

The stream has started with no sound, it's like they really want us to experience the technical difficulties. Guy picks up glass of wine and technical difficulties screen pops up. Best. Stream. Ever.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

subnautica.jpg

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Yoda posted:

The stream has started with no sound, it's like they really want us to experience the technical difficulties. Guy picks up glass of wine and technical difficulties screen pops up. Best. Stream. Ever.

I liked how he was being all surreptitious as he grabbed the glass. "Surely they'll have faded the stream by the time I grab the glass.."

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ixjuvin posted:

stream experience: peak subnautica

e: they tried to stream too fast and it caught on fire

but at least they know it.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
This is why you hire a PR team and community managers, y'all.

e: Hey, it's actually off EA on Steam!

Bizarre Echo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 24, 2018

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
They looked super excited to celebrate the launch. The team must be really happy :)

I wish I could buy the shirt that director and other guy were wearing. They looked fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's always embarrassing as gently caress to have this happen to your launch, but at least they seem to he having a fast turnaround in getting their stream working.