Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

theshim posted:

...except that the mid-tier all-target fire spell is actually called Maragion, for reasons not known to man nor beast.

Okay, so:

Megami Tensei II is a really old game. It has some interesting ideas, but it was one of the two on the Famicom so it's super rough around the edges. Its 2nd tier "ST" fire spell was called Agion (It was technically an MT spell because it hits 2-3 targets, but whatever). If you played the SNES remake and you don't remember that, that's because Kyuuyaku renamed it to Agilaon for... some reason. MT2 didn't actually have a spell called Maragion though; the hit all MT equivalent was called... Agilaon (yes, really), but was renamed to Maragion in Kyuuyaku.

Just to make it even more confusing, in Megami Tensei 2 Agidyne was an MT spell. Kyuuyaku renamed it... Maragidyne. Until SMT1 on the SNES, MT spell naming convention didn't really exist is the thing. So, Agion did exist but Maragion didn't. Then Agion didn't exist, but Maragion did. It was following convention but whoops we accidentally renamed the ST spell.

Why Megami Tensei 2 and not Megami Tensei? Well, MT2 is the one that actually created the spell names we're more familiar with. MT1 called its basic Fire spell... Botto (I don't even know; Breeze being the basic Ice spell is even more baffling when Force exists... but its Psy). Fortunately, Kyuuyaku brought all that nonsense in-line with everything else. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, so, I took the opportunity to get... most... of the party up to same general level as everyone else. This'll no doubt be important and useful whenever we go back to Tartarus again.

Changing Seasons / Sun

This keeps coming up, and its really obvious that its not going anywhere at this point.

Listening: Nah, I don't think so. The way they're talking, the typhoon's going to be way too destructive.
Gossiping: That's not good. I hope Japan doesn't become an undersea country...

> The first bell has rung.

Really, I can't think of anything bad that happened to Japan in 2009 anyway. Absolutely nothing.

But, hey, speaking of bad things happening... let's spend a little bit more time with Kenji. Thankfully, we're nearly done with him forever.

Joy

I've decided to go to Kyushu with Emiri, so this'll be my last bowl of ramen, dude.

Who's that she's with?

Troubled

He's just a kid... He must have misunderstood my...
I thought he'd be relieved that I was being transferred...
He said he wanted to...
...The other students are...

I can't wait either...

I thought we'd be together forever...

> Kenji seems like he's going to cry.

Confront Emiri.
I'm okay... I'm okay... Thanks, man...

It's not Emiri's fault... I'm the one to blame...

> Kenji is crying...

*sniff* *sniff* Oh, man... *sniff* Now my nose is running... Hahaha... *sniff*

Have done something incredibly stupid and embarassing?

Yeah, that would be such a change of pace...

> Kenji is laughing as he cries...

> Your relationship is stronger now!

> You decided to return to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

We must secure the dormitory windows and seal any areas that are prone to leaking.

Not really a big deal though. From my anime knowslege, the probability of the typhoon being irrelevant is extremely high.

...oh we needed to grab this for liz thats right

What for?
Are you gonna cook with it...?
Here, I'll get you one.

Requisite fade to blue goes here.

There you go.
It's kinda old, but it has a great grip.
...Well? Take it.

We'll take this to Elizabeth in a moment, but first we have one last thing to check.

The past few days have had absolutely nothing on the TV, so of course we get more Lisa.

"Kehhei" means "I'm mad now!" A full train makes you seriously "Kehhei!"
That's all for this week! Back to the news!

Alright, now we'll head on over to the Velvet Room.

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

It's... incredible.
It seems as though it's been in use for a long time, but it's almost as sharp as the day it was made...
And I would bet it could cut many things, not just fruit.
It has a variety of uses... you can cut things. open cans, peel vegetables...
It's an all-purpose cooking tool.
What's this...? There's something written on the handle... It's a bit hard to read, but let's see...

...Oh my. It seems that this was very important to its owner.
You have completed my request, but I cannot take this. Please keep it.
Please accept your reward.

This seems pretty underwhelming, but this might very well be one of the best rewards we'll ever get honestly. A free Nihil weapon is pretty great. We'll be putting some of these to use in the future, for sure.

But that's not gonna be for quite a while, yet.

Changing Seasons / Sun

Listening: That theater by the station is hosting it. right? I lost count of how often I went there over summer break.

Gossiping: Nah, I'll pass on this one. I forget what this one's theme is, but I remember it was all kiddy.

Which is why it's a bright, sunny day. Yeah, yeah, weather wasn't really coded to basically exist until Persona 4 when it mattered but still.

> You should head back to the dorm.

Troubled

> Your body is shivering...

According to the news, a typhoon just hit.
Supposedly, it's the biggest one on record. It's moving slowly, too, so it'll be around for a while...

...Well, setting all that stuff up is a pain, so I don't mind.
But, it sucks that we'll be stuck indoors...
So, how are you gonna spend your break?
Nothing special.
So you're a slacker after all, huh?
What about you, Fuuka?

Ooh, a movie? Is it a date...?
It-It's not like that.

But with this typhoon, I don't know if we'll be able to go.
How 'bout you, Yuka-tan? Will ya still have practice?
...I doubt it.

Same here. This stupid typhoon is gonna mess up my training.
What about you, Senpai?
...I haven't decided.
Besides, what business is it of yours, Iori?
Me? Well, I'd be happy to tell you about my plans...

Although she has stabilized, we cannot release her.
Man, Ai-chan, you must be psychic.
And ya know what? She WANTS me to come!
...Not to brag or anything...
I, um... just thought I should check up on her... Ya know, with the storm and all.

...What's up with him?
Umm... Well...
Oh, yeah! Ken-kun. What are you going to do during the break?

Come on, you have to be doing something.
Well, I'll probably go visit the shrine.
Dude, you're a kid, not an old man.
But, that's where I always go.

Anyway, I'm going back to my room. I have a lot of homework to do...
Oh, okay. Call me if you get stuck.

Well, uh, at least Shinji managed to sort of get a line in once at the end there?

Iwatodai Dorm

I suggested that the date be rescheduled, but it seems that won't happen.
Well, there is nothing one can do to hinder Mother Nature's will.

I don't think you should go to Tartarus tonight. You should just rest.
Yeah, just rest tonight.
I don't think anyone wants to go to Tartarus in all this wind and rain, anyway.

Since those are naturally occuring things, this does seem like a valid thing to consider. Could deal with typhoon gales and raining blood or we could, well, not.

I mean, come on, a maid outfit!?
I'd rather stand outside in the middle of a typhoon than have to wear a maid outfit.

I wonder if there are any leaks in it.
I hope this building didn't get damaged as badly as my ribs...

We will have the weekend off. The 21st is Respect for the Aged Day.
The 22nd is a national holiday, and the 23rd is the Autumnal Equinox.
We should spend this time wisely.

Wait hang on, so... let me check my notes real quick...

September... September... ah here we go!

Gonna make some quick last minute changes to that then.

Bummer, huh?
I don't really care.
Huh? Whaddya mean you don't care!?

Tch, why can't he act like a normal kid...

Newscaster: Depending on weather conditions, it may pass over Japan by tonight.

Huh, y'know, I wasn't really expecting this to be available yet. But since it is, let's give it a look...

Cooking Up Trouble

Silence

I know it looks like I just sat on this for a while, but I swear I didn't. Probably. I'm pretty sure I checked almost every day at least.

Today we're making spicy pepper pasta. It's a great dish to keep your energy up through the summer heat.
The key ingredient is green cayenne pepper. Remember to remove the seeds first.
After that, we'll prepare some kelp broth. You'll need a pasta cooker about this size, and...
Pasta cooker... Do we have one here...?

oh hey fuuka

It requires energy to maintain an appropriate external temperature.

For whatever reason, Shinji decides to pretend to be sleeping here. Yeah, I dunno.

Woof, woof!
We're home, Koro-chan!
Oh... shhh! I'd feel awful if we woke up Shinjiro-senpai.
Arf!

Yeah, this is Fuuka's first reaction here.

Does Shinjiro-senpai enjoy cooking shows...?
Oh, that's a new issue... I didn't know this month's was out.

Oh, um, it's nothing. I've just been interested in cooking lately.

"Lately"?

Let's go.

Dammit... I forgot she understands dog talk...
*whine*
Ahhh, don't sweat it. It ain't your fault.
Don't worry. boy... Next time, I'll make you something too, Koro-chan.
Arf!

> The recording ends here...

End

So, with that done, the only thing left to do is figure out what we're gonna do tonight. Tartarus is out, so I guess the arcade it is!

Iwatodai Dorm

Forget about it! You're gonna catch a cold, dude.

Well, poo poo. In that case, we don't really have any options. Guess we'll just head on upstairs ourselves.

> You are incredibly sleepy...

> You fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow.

Now here's something that hasn't happened in a long, long time.

I last summoned you in your dreams quite some time ago.
Several seasons have come and gone since I first offered my assistance...
Now, then... Your special power--Persona... Have you been using it wisely?
Of course.
Hmmm... So, you haven't given it much thought?

But, it would be a pity to lose one such as yourself unnecessarily...
Therefore, please allow me to provide you with a new form of assistance.

I am certain that this will be of great benefit to you.

> New fusions are possible!

This will definitely be pretty useful. We'll put it to use in the near future, don't worry.

Until we meet again... Farewell.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 13, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What is it with these games and maids :doh: it's creepy.

At least Yukari hasn't joined a prostitution service and hooked up with her teacher.

...Yet. :ohdear:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's possible to laugh at Kenji during the dialogue tree when you gave him the choice to confront the teacher, and apparently he still sticks with you, no loss to your friendship at all, it just doesn't give you as high a boost or anything.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In retrospect it's kind of odd how long it takes you to get to the special fusions. IIRC it felt a lot faster in Persona 4.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

At least Yukari hasn't joined a prostitution service and hooked up with her teacher.

...Yet. :ohdear:

Oh god don't remind me

And thanks for the spell explanations :)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shitenshi posted:

It's possible to laugh at Kenji during the dialogue tree when you gave him the choice to confront the teacher, and apparently he still sticks with you, no loss to your friendship at all, it just doesn't give you as high a boost or anything.

Another reminder that the P3 MC can be a huge rear end in a top hat.

But for all Kenji's stupidity and creepiness, isn't Ms. Kanou also a terrible person for leading Kenji on for this long? I forgot if it's been covered in the S. Link already, but doesn't Maya complain to you how one of her co-workers kept bragging how she's got a man who wants to marry her, as well as a student who's hot for her?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What is it with these games and maids :doh: it's creepy.

It's like they put a lid on the maids and the festival with the typhoon, and then the writers felt like they had to make up for it by giving us the awfulness of P4's Culture Festival.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

She didn't lead Kenji on at all from what I gathered. She offered to tutor him on something or other, and Kenji's own imagination made things ten times worse.

I laugh at him every time that option comes up to me, S.Link points be damned.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I personally advocate for dunking on losers like Kenji at every opportunity, S.Link points be damned, just because it's more fun. If it didn't run contrary to the obvious end-goal with the thread, YHVH knows I would've.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

I personally advocate for dunking on losers like Kenji at every opportunity, S.Link points be damned, just because it's more fun. If it didn't run contrary to the obvious end-goal with the thread, YHVH knows I would've.

P3 is just filled with people that need to be dunked on.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

No, don't worry, you didn't miss anything here.

> The typhoon has completely passed. Through the window, the sky looks clear.

> You feel refreshed.

> Today is Respect for the Aged Day. The holiday lasts until the 23rd...

Iwatodai Dorm

No matter how strong you are, if you don't feel well, you won't last long in the ring.

Needless to say, pretty much everyone is going to comment on how we just missed 2 days of not being able to do anything anyway.

Why don't you go get some fresh air? It's really nice out.

You should take today to rest.

Oh wait, that means... since you got sick, you're smart; and since I didn't, I'm an--
W-Well, what do "they" know anyways?

But don't be careless, or you might get sick again.

I feel fine now.
Then, let's explore Tartarus.

Your temperature, pulse, and breathing have all returned to normal.
Congratulations on surviving your illness.

We've managed to avoid dying!

Glad to see you're feeling better.

Since it's a day-off, our options are a little more limited than I'd have liked. We could talk to Mamoru or something, sure, but I think visiting some old friends first is more prudent.

Joy

...Even if the tree is gone... you'll still live on... inside us...

> Bunkichi is sleep talking.

I, uh, didn't...?

Or were you just eager to see my pretty face?
Oof.
I feel relieved now, probably because the problem has been solved.
Even though it's the middle of the day, I feel so sleepy...
Why are you relieved?
...Since Mitsuko is here too, I think it's time we told you.
Makoto-chan, we sent a letter to Gekkoukan.

What!?
Wow, you should've seen your reaction, Makoto-chan! It was totally worth it to surprise you like that!

Sorry that we did it without asking you.
...Recently, I went to visit the persimmon tree, and I met a student on my way back.
He told me that the school is planning to build a new addition.

I think it'd make our son happy, too, since he was a teacher.
Helping those kids is more important than hanging on to his memory.

We're hoping, as we believe our son in heaven is too,
that more kind students like you, Makoto-chan, will graduate from Gekkoukan.

Whew boy, do I have some bad news for you guys...

...Please take this.

Mitsuko is the one who suggested we give it to you, Makoto-chan.

> You feel the old couple's great appreciation...

The Path is Open

Joy

Kohryu, alternatively Huang Long, is a big ol' golden dragon who owns a fair bit in theory... but in practice isn't that great here. He was even buffed to level 66 in this version whereas in vanilla he was level 61. Unfortunately he's technically WORSE here since he lost some of his better skills...

Our son would want us to be happy... I'm sure he's smiling down on us from heaven.
It's difficult having such a well-respected son.
...Oh, does it sound like I'm boasting?

> You talked with the old couple until sunset.

> After saying goodbye to Bunkichi and Mitsuko, you decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

It's most likely because you rested for two days straight.

Yeah, uh, it's kinda surprising how most folks here have something new to say already. Sorta.

I should've made you some chicken noodle soup for your cold.
Sorry I didn't think about it sooner.
Next time you get sick, remind me.

Well, not everything, I guess.
I mean, I didn't see a ramen stand flying through the air...
*sigh* I wish I could've seen that.

Not much damage was incurred. There is nothing else to report.

Yukari-san and Fuuka-san were really scared during it...
Were you scared during it too, Makoto-san?
No, not at all.
That's what I thought. You're never scared of anything.

Our subject today is a girl in her 20s with a very original, short hairstyle.

...Next is news. Pain, pain, go away!

Eriko Kirishima is an actual legit English speaking woman who was even super into the occult. I don't mean that like Lisa's parents this time, though that is an easy parallel. While those are weeby losers, Eriko just talks in actual real English sometimes. She's remarkably capable and competent and does things that help move the plot along at a decent clip the entire time for good measure. She's noteworthy in that she is playable in both the SEBEC and Snow Queen routes... and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. She IS in Innocent Sin as well, though just as an NPC.

Her primary Arcana is Judgement (which is my go-to when people try and insist that playable characters are only Fool through Death), and her initial Persona is Nike, the Goddess of Victory. And because Eriko is awesome, she'll sometimes summon her Persona just to have someone to vent to. :v:

So, we're off to Tartarus tonight. This is a trip that we're doing for a couple reasons. We're delaying a phone call so that we get a thing for Sunday, sure...

But we're also running Tziah a lot to get this thing to spawn. It only appears in a Gold chest on floor 118 (and a couple above 122 but that comes later).

So, we have some new Fusion types what we can do. Cross, Pentagon and Hexagon are the three we just unlocked and they're all much simpler than you'd think. Unlike Normal/Triangle...

We don't select 4+ demons from our stock. Rather, we select from a small list of predetermined results and it tells us what we need instead. We'll make Black Frost now that we can, and... uh... wow, yeah, um they really delayed giving you these a bit too much.

It must be the mischief maker, Black Frost, come out from the Darkness to play.
Actually, this is the first time I've set eyes on him.
I'm sure there are others I've never seen before, sleeping deep within the human mind...

Well, hellooooo there! This is an upgrade over the Mage's Mark, of course, but a bit more than you'd think. Mage's Mark is just Invigorate 1 (regens 3 SP a turn) as an accessory. The Wizard's Mark is Invigorate 3 (regens 7 SP a turn). Yep. Thanks, Elizabeth! It doesn't sound super great, no, but it actually really kinda is.

Would've been better if we could get it earlier, though.

I heard that it's named for its resemblance to the crescent moon...
It does look very much like that. It's very beautiful work...
I wonder... Do they make swords in shapes other than the crescent moon?
Just once in my life, I'd love to see a heart-shaped sword.

Well, these aren't great by any means, no, but free stat boosts are never a bad thing. I might end up using them one day, maybe.

Next on our chain of fusion requests is to just make a Girimehkala. I get the distinct feeling the game expects us to be about 5 or so levels lower than we reasonably should be at this point. For some reason.

Because we can make Girimehkala right now. Even if I didn't try to keep everyone around the same level, this'd still end up happening right now.

As you might've figured, since we have three Phys elements, someone like Girimehkala isn't anywhere near as good (on paper) as they normally are. We definitely won't be using this guy much because only repelling Slash is pretty niche and then we have two weaknesses on top of it...

Well done. You have fulfilled my request.
I have prepared a special reward for you once again...

If you are strong enough to control this Persona, then please give it a try.

Sadly, we're not quite a high enough level to make Nebiros yet. He's level 50 which we're closer to than I'd have expected (and honestly liked) right now, though.

Ooh, well, well, well. Hello there. I see that Elizabeth now wants us to make one of the best Personae in the game to begin with. So, Daisoujou is level 53 so we can't make him juuuuust yet. As soon as we can though, Daisoujou will pass level 56 by default from fusion (he's a Hierophant) at which point he gives us our earliest and first unique skill. Exciting!

Silence

That's it for what we're doing in Tartarus today, though. We'll be back in the near future to actually climb it higher, though.

Oh, right. I forgot about that up until Aigis reminded me. Still wasn't sure of what to do but I finally got an idea last night.

Iwatodai Dorm

Dammit... Why won't they just disappear?

Newscaster: Everyone with laundry out on the line can rest assured that it'll be dry by afternoon.

Not much in the dorm today, since everyone's just repeating stuff from yesterday evening now.

So... I think it's time we go and do it. It's time we finally meet the best character in the game.

Other than Koromaru, who's a dog and thus shouldn't be counted because of his unfair advantage.

When the Moon's Reaching Out Stars (Reincarnation) / Way of Life -Deep Inside My Mind-

Wh-What? Don't look at me while I'm eating.
You're making me feel self-conscious!
Agh! You've spoiled the moment! I can't savor the flavor of my limited edition gourmet sandwich with you here...

We only need Charm 2 for this guy. So, uh, yeah we may have sat on this for a little bit longer than expected! Well, Kenji can tell you about him reaaaaaaaaally early after all.

...What do you want?
What are you eating?
Oh, you're curious? Do you consider yourself a gourmet?
Is that possible? A slim guy like you? ...Prove it.
If you can pass my Gourmet Quiz, then I'll believe you.
Ummm, what should I ask...? I don't want to make it too difficult...
Give me some time to think... *munch* *munch*

Isn't the entire point to make it difficult? Like, I'm not exactly much of a gourmand but c'mon.

Anyway, despite implying that we need to come back at a later date that's not true at all. Let's just talk to him again right now.

Phew, I finally swallowed it...
Now, the quiz begins. This first question is a freebie.

Wow, he wasn't kidding. That really is a freebie!

Pheromone Coffee.
...Correct.
Here's question number 2.
What color is the mascot for Wild-duck Burger?
Green.
Ahh... You're pretty good.
Question 3: What is the secret menu item at Hagakure?
Hagakure Bowl.
...I'm impressed.

If you succeed, then I'll accept you as a fellow gourmet.

Hmm, y'know, I think we might have something. How's this?

G-Give that to me!

Ughhh... This is... awful!
But, I'm impressed. I haven't tasted something like that in all my life...
I like you now.

Joy

...Umm, I'm kind of embarrassed to say this to you first thing, but...

If people start thinking we're best friends or something, I'm going to end up as "the uncool one."

Middle-aged Man: You know what I'm here for. Hand it over.

Wh-Whoa... It-It's you...
H-H-Help! Uh, emergency!
H-Hey y-y-you, call the fire truck... er, I mean the... the...
Call the police?

Middle-aged Man: ...Pipe down. I don't wany anyone getting suspicious.

Middle-aged Man: You're going to have to reconsider. I really can't let this one slide.

My name is Nozomi Suemitsu!
By the way, about what I said before... Maybe it's not so bad having you stand in front of me.

> Nozomi seems to have warmed up to you.

> You became acquainted with Nozomi Suemitsu, the Gourmet King.

The Power of the Heart

> A mysterious voice rings in your head...

Joy

You want to tag along? Do you know who I am?

That's right, it's my little nickname. I'm Gourmet King 2009... Or, was it 2010? Eh, whatever.
I know all the best places for-- uh... wha?

> Nozomi's stomach is growling loudly.

This is gonna be too expensive. I'll have to treat you another time! Don't worry, I'll remember!

> Nozomi ran off.

> It was getting dark, so you returned to the dorm.

Now, I know what you're thinking. I called Nozomi the best character. I'm memeing you hard right now, right?

Heh. Heheheh. Heheheheheheh... :unsmigghh:

Iwatodai Dorm

Anyway, Junpei's wishful thinking!

Maybe it could blow a ramen stand into a Shadow and kill it with one hit!
Wouldn't that be awesome!?

Well, in my experience throwing a ramen stand at a Shadow deals Force damage... and that isn't an element here, so...

Well, I think we'll lose our Persona abilities and return to our daily lives...
But, we won't be the same as we were before.
Thanks to all the experiences we gained fighting together, we'll all live richer, fuller lives.

Next mission, it is highly probable that they will be unable to determine our location.
Right... Having someone like that makes a big difference.
It's hard to interfere if you don't know where to go.
But, be careful, just in case...
The other two seem dangerous...

Perhaps. We should train in Tartarus as much as we can.

Well, if all 3 attack at once that might get a bit risky and dangerous. If it's one-by-one then we can walk it no big deal, though.

And, we're not off to Tartarus just yet.

We'll wrap up this break, at the very least, though.

We did briefly hear about this extra movie day exactly once before now.

Did you know there's a one-day-only Film Festival today?
The promoter said there was so much demand, they decided to hold another one. I guess people liked it!

Well, if we ever needed proof that sometimes capitalism works then I guess we found it. Good ol' indie movies.

Newscaster: They have calculated the timing of when victims will recover, and when new victims will be claimed... People are waiting to hear the exact day that victims will begin to increase next month...

Did it happen...? Did they finally notice the full moon thing? That we noticed back in May, because the SEES gang are not-so-secretly really competent?

I totally forgot they had those... Not that I've ever been to one.
You wanna come?
...With me?
Don't you wanna go with someone a little closer to your age?

Shinji is only one year older than we are, remember. He ain't exactly an old man or anything.

Hmph... weirdo.
Well, let's go.

When the Moon's Reaching Out Stars (Reincarnation) / Way of Life -Deep Inside My Mind-

Are we... really watching this?
Well... If this is what you really want, I guess I'm game too.

Unsurprisingly, this would be a Courage boost if we somehow still needed that.

It just... washed that dog away...

Not quite the best movie date we've ever had, but it's certainly up there.

Iwatodai Dorm

I was going to inquire earlier, but I thought you might be "sick" of everyone asking you if you're sick...
I'm fine. Thanks.
That is good to hear. Please take care of yourself.
AH-CHOO!

Still cracking those lame jokes, I bet.
Yep.
His jokes are the worst. So lame.
Nah, not really.
You can't fool me.

Well, we're not quite off to Tartarus today but... we probably will like tomorrow or Friday. To that end...

Master of Tartarus / Danger Zone

Let's talk about the boss real quick. The Sleeping Table is one of two infamous bosses in Tartarus for when things quickly escalate. It is, for my money, the relative hardest fight in the main game because he has... 50 Magic, Maragidyne (which hitting a resist still does about 150 damage because gently caress you), Megidola (which is Almighty damage so... gg no re) and the nastiest combination in scaring someone with a near guarantee and then using an instant kill that wipes out everyone who's inflicted with Fear.

Also he has Hamaon so even if you try and be clever he'll nuke you with Megidola or just murder Koromaru with expel.

Mercifully, he only has 20 Endurance and only resists Phys and Fire (Strike is the only non-ID elemental null).

As tempting as it is to put this to a vote, that's what I'm...

Going to do, gently caress it. There's a couple restrictions this time though:

Junpei is coming, no questions asked. Pretty much entirely because he tied with Aigis last time, yeah. He'll maybe get Marakukaja on the way, and is almost certainly going to be running pure support the entire fight. There's even technically a chance Re Patra could be useful for once ever. But, uh, probably not.

Koromaru is banned. I know, I know, it's Koromaru and he nullifies the Maragidyne and all but he's just an active liability. And not even a fun one! Being weak to Hamaon is a literal death sentence and his only attacks being Slashing, Fire and Dark is just a waste of everyone's time. He's not even a good support character here.

Shinji is also banned, because he also has nothing to contribute. Unlike with Koromaru, this is just a boring reason. He only has Strike which is nullfiied and Slashing which is resisted and Evil Smile would be nice and funny but... Shinji has 20 Luck. He's going to die to the same thing we could do with it, pretty much guaranteed.

Everyone below this point is fine and dandy, though!

Yukari better get that Mediarama otherwise she's not gonna be able to keep up with the Table. ST Diarama isn't sufficient (all of the Table's attacks are either MT or instant death...) and Media is adorably worthless. Her damage from Garula'll be okay the one time she'd maybe get to do it, but that's not why we'd be bringing her.

Akihiko only has one skill left before he's learned everything, wow. And while he's not gonna be super-great for damage (at least Elec is neutral...) or healing, ST debuffs are all we need here and he can just chain all 3 in perpetuity which is very nice.

Mitsuru's... risky. She's not a bad pick, per se, but she's not gonna be super useful either. Ampted Bufulas should be doing pretty okay damage, at least. The biggest mercy is that since Maragidyne is multi-target her Fire weakness doesn't let the Sleeping Table get One Mores.

Except in Portable, but shhh don't let anyone know.

Aigis is pure support here, but not even really good support. That her buffs are all ST means that she can only bolster one person at a time and she usually goes Suku and then Raku on one person... before shifting to someone else to start to do the same too. Her AI is not very good at support, no.

Dekunda's not gonna be useful at all, since the Table has no debuffs at its disposal.

Ken's really not useful here unfortunately. Portable gives him Mediarama, which he is lacking here entirely. His skill after Hamaon is Recarm at level 42, which'd be nice - considering his own resistance to that pesky Hamaon floating around - but not critical. There's nothing really that he can do that someone else can't already do better. Zionga's his biggest contribution and it's not a very well done one at that. Oh well!

So, all that said we still have two slots to fill.

:siren: Who gets 'em? :siren:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 8, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mitsuru and Akihiko.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I think there might be a problem with Bunkichi's text. Makoto is consistently called Minato.

Also, in that update, Persona Q happened! Apparently it takes place on the 21st...sort of.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Akihiko, Yukari

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yukari and Akihiko. Leaves you a little low on damage, but the best survivability especially if Junpei picks up Marakukaja.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Yukari and Akihiko, gently caress that table up.

I've never went beyond rank two or three of moon in any playthrough but I'm pretty sure he's not actually the best link.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Yukari and Akihiko.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Jade Rider posted:

Yukari and Akihiko.

This is probably your best shot

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Jade Rider posted:

Yukari and Akihiko.

Sure, why not

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tendronai posted:

Also voting for this.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Yukari and Mitsuru

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I will never not vote for dog and robot, ban or no ban.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Just you, woofers, and shinji. Time for loving hard mode :getin:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dragonatrix posted:

It just... washed that dog away...

Shinji owns. :3:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Did you just unlock the worst social link?

I think you did.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Akihiko and Ken

This is kinda Akihiko's last hurrah at being a good character in this version (kinda by virtue of being the least bad here) and Ken at least is a decent repository for damage while no-selling the cheap shot and not being a massive drain on healing like Mitsuru can be. This does force Makoto onto support, but this is a fight where you probably want to count on your support and take your damage where you can get it, instead of visa-versa.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

So this update almost covers the worst social link and the worst Tartarus boss simultaneously. :confuoot:

As for party composition... I remember debuffs being reasonably handy here so Akihiko and ...eh... man, not many good choices huh.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

code:
 Yukari: ||||||||
Akihiko: ||||||||||
Mitsuru: ||
  Aigis: |
    Ken: |
So far the two that I would've chosen anyway (if I listened to that one post from before) is winning. Huh.

Epicmissingno posted:

I think there might be a problem with Bunkichi's text. Makoto is consistently called Minato.

Yeah, uh, I thought I fixed that last night but whoops forgot to save the edit after I noticed it. :downs:

'Sfixed now though!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dragonatrix posted:

Now, I know what you're thinking. I called Nozomi the best character. I'm memeing you hard right now, right?

Heh. Heheheh. Heheheheheheh... :unsmigghh:

You are a terrible person. :mad:

But not nearly as bad as Nozomi.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dragonatrix posted:

Yukari-san and Fuuka-san were really scared during it...
Were you scared during it too, Makoto-san?
No, not at all.
That's what I thought. You're never scared of anything.

...wasn't he unconscious the whole time? Other people were having to fill him in about there even being a typhoon, how could he have been scared of it?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Dragonatrix posted:

Anyway, Junpei's wishful thinking!

Maybe it could blow a ramen stand into a Shadow and kill it with one hit!
Wouldn't that be awesome!?

Well, in my experience throwing a ramen stand at a Shadow deals Force damage... and that isn't an element here, so...

Years on, and I still cackle like a goddamn loon at this part. The comic timing of the whole thing just strikes me, I suppose.

And yes, Shinji is the best. And Nozomi... is a thing. :geno: (I've actually completely forgotten about the details of his link, so this will be an adventure.)

Oh yes, on voting... I see no reason to go against the crowd here, so Yukari and Akihiko.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tendronai posted:

Gotta agree with this. Also :laffo: at one of the worst bosses being... a table

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, uh, today is a... very long day. Strap in, we'll be here a while.

Changing Seasons / Sun

...It feels like fall since the typhoon passed, doesn't it?
*sigh* I hope the fighting ends before winter comes...
I'm sure it will.
...I hope so...

Believe it or not, crying can relieve stress. The tension is washed away with all those tears.
But if the root cause of the stress isn't addressed, it'll become a vicious cycle.
By the way, does anyone here know the number one cause of stress?

Men get stressed from dealing with their bosses, coworkers, and so on. When they seek comfort at home...
It passes on to their wives. They, in turn, relieve their stress through personal hobbies.

> You stayed up and listened to the lecture...

So, in vanilla this'd be where these scenes end. Here, however...

Ahm, there will be no classes this afternoon.
However, that doesn't mean you'll be allowed to goof off.
You'll all have to work together to clean up the displays and decorations for the school festival.
I'll assign you into three groups for the cleanup.
The first group will go to the science lab. Your leader will be...

> Afternoon classes were cancelled. and you'll be cleaning up after the school festival instead...

Joy

There's a fair few actual named characters here, huh? I'm sure this won't be relevant.

> You began cleaning up with everyone.

...Aren't these pictures from the big competition?
Look, Makoto, you're in this one.

yikes

That's Mamoru. He's crazy strong.
Though of course, I'll beat him one--
Dude, I think you've already taken the sweatiness competition. I've never seen you in the school uniform before.
I guess jerseys are better for stuff like this, but still...

Oh, s-sorry!

Wh-Whaddaya mean?

I brought the stuff. Nail puller, tape, and...
Cool, thanks man!
Wait, hang on... Did you forget the popping stuff?
Popping stuff...?
Ohhh! The bubble wrap.
Uh...

Well, yeah, but... you're the one who forgot it.
Huh? Are you sure? You really don't wanna go?
That place is like a paradise, you know that? Some fine chicas there who'd be just your type...
W-Wait, are you serious!? Be right back, guys!

For all of his faults, that Kenji doesn't fall for this obvious blatant lie is... not really a point in his favour, but hey.

U-Uhhh, sorry, Yuka-tan...

I heard that!
Geez... Are you stupid or something?

rip junpei

More like Stupei, I think.
D-Deja vu...!
*sigh* Fine... I'll go to the supply room later...

There were so many cool events I was looking forward to, like a stand-up comedy show...

Whoa, really? With who?
You.
Dang...
Wait a sec, you gotta let me in on plans like that!
Dude, it was just a joke. It was gonna be Kazushi.
Who, me?
Hell no.
Geez, you guys are harsh... Can't any of you take a joke?
Makoto, then.
Bring it on.
Now that's the spirit! You wanna give it a little try right here?

Well, not rea--

--and just like that, we get dragged into a double act with Kenji.

Hello out there. everyone. We're the famous comedy duo, "Kenji Tomochika!"
A duo of one!?

And, of course, it's a manzai thing. And we're playing the straight man. Well, that makes the most sense I guess.

Man, now I can't wait for the real school festival.
It's already over, idiot!

You know what they say... "Early to bed. early to rise"...
...Makes you an old geezer?
There you go! A great gag like that ends on a high note. Are you related to some chairman I could mention!?
Hey, speaking of jokes, here's a good one. "What the? This key isn't working."
Key-p trying!

You're a Gekkoukan student through and through--I mean, come on!
Well... I think that went pretty good, considering we didn't rehearse.
Man... What a waste...

Aaaaand right back to normal, I see.

Huh!?
Ughhh... So, word got out about that. I'm relieved it never happened...
But I bet lotsa guys were really disappointed... right, Kazushi?
Huh? R-Really?

A pure soul...!
Oh, it's something that... guys like Junpei dream about.
Junpei...
W-Wait a sec, what's that look for? You act like I did something!

This is Aigis' first and last line in this entire scene. And she is straight-up disappointed with Junpei. It's pretty much perfect, really.

You gotta be kidding! You too, Aigis!?

Hey, that tent on the school grounds--is it okay if we put it away in the archery club room?
Oh, yeah, that's fine. It belongs to us anyway... Hey, don't worry about it, our club will take care of it.
Oh, it's no trouble. Our class just happens to be in charge of the grounds.
We'll go put it away now. Thanks!
See you--
...Ah!

Oh good, this is going to get weird and awkward isn't it.

You had a fever, right...?
I heard you were laid up in bed all through break... Are you okay now?
Yeah, just look at him. He's fine.
Yeah, good point. Well, I'm glad to hear it...

Shut up! Isn't it time you got back to the grounds?
Yeah, yeah, I know!
I haven't seen him in a while, so give us a minute.

That's a good point. We haven't spent time with Yuko in a while, huh.

......?

Um... if you happen to have any masking tape... I-I need to borrow some... if...

VERY weird and awkward...

I'm in charge of the classroom next door, but we're out of masking tape...
I was nervous about asking, since I knew upperclassmen were in charge of this room...
But it's a relief to see you here, Makoto-san...

Um... I saw Mitsuru-senpai a moment ago, and she said...
She said Makoto-san had been sick in bed all this time...
Did you... catch a cold? Oh, you shouldn't overstrain yourself.
If you're not feeling well, don't feel like you have to come to Student Council.

Ah, sweet, definitely won't be doing that the......

Abort, Retry, Fail?

> The room is turning ugly...

Huh? Wait, does that mean--

Someone's gonna get hurt if we don't fix it right now. Like, RIGHT now.
Yuka-tan, c'mon and gimme a hand. I'll take it down if you hold it in place.
...Huh!? Oh, o-okay. Gotcha.

I here was something I had to tell the guyS in our club. Hey Yuko, can you go tell 'em for me?
Th-The message is... For our next practice...
Uh... There'll be no towels allowed.
Huh? No towels? Isn't that going to make things harder?

Terrible diversion aside, I'm suddenly relieved that we can just skip practice forever...

C'mon, move it!

Another classroom might have some... Like, next door, maybe...
Oh, I-I see! I'm sorry!
Well then...

I dunno, even without it we still got this scene which was... bad enough.

You probably woulda been mauled no matter who you picked to go with...

> The clean-up ended peacefully...

...Eventually.

Changing Seasons / Sun

And, hey, we just had one lengthy scene with Kenji as a focal point. Let's celebrate by spending even more time with Kenji!

...Because afterwards we shouldn't need to see him ever again.

Joy

Well, Ms. Kanou must be in Kyushu by now. She's probably getting ready for her wedding ceremony...

> Kenji seems to be lost in thought.

...That's all?
Well, my favorite TV show got cancelled.
Which sucks cuz I was really into it. It reminded me of...

> Kenji is reflecting on the past.

Men and women are supposed to be together, dude! That's nature's law. It's, like, totally biological.
C'mon, man, that's some serious knowledge I just dropped. See how much I've been studying?

> Kenji is laughing to himself.

Anyways, I've been thinking...
When Emiri left, I was really sad, but I'm not sure what I was sad about...

Proooooobably the latter. Considering everything during the lead-up to that ""reveal"" and all.

I've been thinking about it and thinking about it...
And I just don't know...
But what I DO know is... you're my friend.
Is this the same subject?

Man, Kenji. You are really bad at banter. Just the worst.

> Kenji seems to be regretting what he just said.

Here, man. Take this.

This has... interesting implications that would've made for a be-- wait, no, this is modern Persona. Never mind.

I made it for you, dude. I thought it would look good on you.
You don't have much fashion sense, so I wanted to help you out. I mean, that's what best friends do, right?
J-Just take it, man!

> Kenji told you that you are his best friend.

> You feel like you can depend on Kenji, no matter what...

The Path is Open

Joy

Same as when we maxed this link with Junpei instead. He's the same as in Portable, even. Level 52's when we can make him and that's... VERY close already. Once we hit that, we can finally do something special with this guy.

Waitress! Gimme 10 more eggs!

> The hours flew by as you hung out with Kenji.

Iwatodai Dorm

no

The Lost are increasing. and I wanna get stronger...
So if you're going, please take me.

Maybe if you're good.

Anyway, let's focus on the important stuff and just see what everyone else has to say. If it's new, at least.

I wish we could receive some good news for once.

Does he like to be alone...? Or is he just shy...?
To be honest, I'm a little worried about him...
He must be so sad being alone all the time...

Cool, huh? I never would've guessed.
There's more to him than meets the eye.

He IS the Tough Guy With A Sensitive Side, yeah. This is a thing that comes up a lot. The cooking thing especially.

I'm okay.
C'mon, man! Liven up! You're young! You should have some fun!

Particularly these last three.
Please be prepared for the worst.

Well, I don't care what you guys think about me.
I'm doing things my way...
...and there's nothing you guys can do about it.

Except sticking you in the party so you HAVE TO be with other people.

...And still just do whatever you want, but still.

Once we defeat them, there won't be any more news about The Lost.
We're so close.

Plus we'll be finished just in time for Christmas. It's perfect!

No reason, really...

Newscaster: Police say that the lack of a struggle most likely means his assailant was familiar with him... The victim had likely contracted Apathy Syndrome, preventing him from fighting back.

Anyway, that's it for today. We're not off to Tartarus just yet, so...

Let's round out the day by making plans for Sunday, sure. We definitely need to do this, for reasons that'll make sense very soon.

Like, today soon.

Changing Seasons / Sun

Listening: No, it's not just you... They're definitely on the rise.
Gossiping: It's all over the news, too. The whole thing makes me uncomfortable...
Listening: What if it started happening all over the world...?
Gossiping: H-Hey, don't say stuff like that...

Of course they're getting worse and on the rise. We're a little over a week away from the full moon. This is around about the time when they start appearing after all.

Since yesterday was fairly lengthy, today we're back to normal and just skipping right to after school stuff. Totally okay with that!

Joy

Please don't laugh at this, okay?

> Fuuka is blushing.

The other day I let Yukari-chan try one of my rice balls.

So I told her that I made them to thank everyone for all they've done for me.
Then, she stopped eating and asked me why I needed to thank everyone for.
She seemed confused, so I told her the whole stoy.

She said I didn't need to thank her for anything, because we're friends.
She said that friends don't owe each other anything more than their friendship.
I was so happy to hear that that I started to cry...
That's great.
My old negative thoughts started creeping in again...

Boy, it sure would've been WAY more interesting if Fuuka's link focussed on that social anxiety and wasn't just mostly "Girl Not How Cook?! That Unpossible!"

I was thinking badly of myself...
But, when I realized what I was doing...
I saw myself for who I truly am...
And I began to understand what I really wanted to do...
At first I wanted to thank everyone, then I realized what I actually wanted to do was help them...

Um...
There's something I have to tell you...

...didn't we do this already?

> Fuuka seems to be having trouble breathing.

No, yeah, we definitely did this already. This was the enire second half of the previous scene in this link. What the heck?

And I want you to be by my side...
Makoto-kun, I...

U-Um... Makoto-kun...

> Fuuka has expressed her feelings for you.

> Your relationship with her has become more intimate....

You feel the same...?

Well, this is an awkward set of options. One of these is fairly noncommittal and the other sure reads as being emotionally manipulative. Noncommittal nodding it is.

...Sorry, I don't know what to say...

> Fuuka is blushing.

> You talked with Fuuka for a long time.

> After you finished your conversation, you decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

And since Chidori's getting better, I think I should start training again.
Besides, those Apathy freaks are popping up everywhere.

We'll get to it when we get to it, I guess.

Newscaster: The customer insisted that he had Apathy Syndrome, preventing him from returning the videos on time... But the owner refused to give in, saying their policy did not allow for any excuses. Despite the customer's frustration, the dispute was resolved to both men's satisfaction when...

Actually, gently caress it. We don't have anything better to do tonight, or most nights for that matter. No one in the dorm's doing anything, Koromaru doesn't want to go for a proper walk...

The Voice Someone Calls

Let's go take apart this IKEA flat pack. We'll be getting assistance from our original team this time. Should be easy enough, since we can do a bit of everything.

Yukari has the Wizard's Mark from before, for obvious reasons. Junpei got the Bererker's Seal for the off-chance that something gets a chance to attack.

tartarus_0d04

Somethings never change, huh? Fuuka's wrong about this as per usual. There's no new enemies that start spawning on this floor.

Sure, this thing here is new but we'll get to that later don't worry.

Just before we hit actual new content, Akihiko levels up which is only noteworthy because...

He's learned his last skill now. Mazionga as a capstone is really worryingly bad, honestly. I don't imagine he'll be getting much use after this now.

...Why does he even still have Sonic Punch? It's straight up worthless.

But yeah, uh, anyway. Floor 126 is when we get new Shadows to deal with.

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

Writhing Tiara sure is a Tiar-- actually no, that's being too generous. Tiaras are at least semi-competent at something. Sort of. Almost. This is just plain BAD. Why does it have Dia?! It has so little HP it never gets a turn. Nulling Fire isn't even an inconvenience since Junpei wouldn't be casting anyway.

Death Twins are almost threatening, but suffer from the same issue of having too little HP. And being Weak to Strike is an odd one; Phys weaknesses aren't exactly common. Repelling Expel could be nasty, though. That they're dressed like Vatican Clergy gives you a subtle visual clue that I genuinely think is a clever hint at least.

Hey, the Magic Mage is back and he's... basically the same as the miniboss incarnation but way more boring. Now he just gets one-shot by anything. He's sort of the inverse Writhing Tiara resistance wise, and everything else too for that matter. Still doesn't get turns though.

Elegant Mothers are all about the multi-targets, I see. Unfortunately they're weak to being electrocuted and also murdered. Mot is very easy to have at this point and he has Mudoon, Mamudoon and Mudo Boost. Which increases the success rate of all Dark elemental instant death skills.

Remember that one, it might be important at some point.

Oh and the Mothers have these mirrors that we need to pry outta their cold dead hands. Elizabeths wants five of the things, so this could be slow.

Brave Wheels are lions that are on fire. They're just resilient enough to not get one-shot by Parvati's stuff which is fine with me since that means I can get AoA's instead.

Agidyne and Gigantic Fist could be dangerous but he's a Chariot so he's not inclined to use magic and it just doesn't have the survivability needed to get a turn to use Gigantic Fist in the first place.

And lastly we have the... Arcane Turret. Huh, that was the quickest turnover from boss to random this side of Digital Devil Saga. That said, Arcane Turret can appear on any floor of Tziah. It can appear before the boss, the floor after the boss (as happened here) and anywhere after that too.

It's not really as blatantly threatening as its boss counterpart was, since it only has Vile Assault and all. Its absurd HP means that it might actually get a turn. If only Akihiko wasn't here to let you get 2 AoAs before it can move. :v:

tartarus_0d04

On floor 130, Fuuka manages to figure out where the Sleeping Table is. Since Tartarus is pretty simple, there's not much to expect between here and there really.

Do find a decent piece of armor for free, though. Gonna be giving this one to Yukari, since she desperately needs the upgrade for reasons.

Plus, hey, +20 SP is always a good thing for a spellcaster.

...Huh, just finding one of these with its back already turned like this is totally fine with me.

That all the hands are level 1 with 100HP is pretty much meaningless but hey. It does mean we can do silly big numbers without trying every once in a while.

And at some point, we find this thing for Junpei. It's not as good as what he already has, though. That one we found for Elizabeth is stronger and has a more useful added effect right now.

And that's about it, really. We've made it to the Sleeping Table's dining hall, but I sure am not ready for it just yet. Got something to do first.

I'm surprised you were able to obtain it from the Opulent Hand.
The reward I've selected for you is rather unique.
It's too small for a human to use, but it's just right for man's best friend...
I'm sure your canine companion will find it both mouth-watering and effective.

Bones really aren't unique at all, Liz! Even made into a weapon, they're still pretty dang common in a way. Anyway, yeah, it's Koromaru's joke weapon. Pretty much the same as you'd expect as a result and straight up useless now. Shame, that.

But, I'm surprised that Shadows would be so vain...

I'm sure not gonna complain about a pretty dang easy Soma, honestly!

Anyway, the next Gold Shadow request is the first one where you might understandably just nope out on it. Having to get 2 Medals makes it significantly more of a pain in the rear end than the previous ones.

Anyway, hey, we're level 48 which is a smidge higher than you probably should be here but I'm going to take advantage of that idea. Folks wanted the table to get destroyed so sure. I'll give you what you want.

Level 48 is an Important Level, because it lets you get two demons that matter and also Ubelluris and lol Ubelluris. Titania is the better of the two good ones, in my opinion. Her and Dionysus are important because they both start with Mind Charge (2.5x boost to next magic attack) no questions asked. Nothing at a lower level has Mind Charge. Nothing at a lower level
learns Mind Charge. Portable adds Setanta to give you an early Power Charge for some unfathomable reason. It does not give you anything before level 48 that has Mind Charge.

...Wind Amp is here because I got lucky with a skill change. I was gonna just make a Black Frost that had Bufudyne, Ice Boost and Mind Charge and use that. Then a change happened and suddenly Wind Amp. What followed was about 3 hours of rerolling Titania's skills to get this combination. I could've just left, bought an accessory and come back at a later date to not do that but nah.

Anyway, let's set the table.

Magician Sleeping Table (Portable)
these fights are... quite different from each other not because theres anything only doable in one over the other but hey best to watch both if you can

Master of Tartarus / Danger Zone

Oh, Fuuka. You have no idea, do you?

So, the Sleeping Table is a bit of a notorious bastard for sure. He's not particularly varied or anything. In fact, on paper he's dirt simple. He has two tricks but one of them is just that he hits everyone very, very, very hard.

Megidola is the weaker of his two attacks. And it still deals more than Yukari's max HP without (de)buffs. Yikes. Even with random varience taken into account, the lowest it does is about 290. Which is exactly Yukari's max HP. Rude!

Maragidyne is in fact more powerful than Megidola. Mercifully, he doesn't have Fire Boost otherwise he'd be an even bigger bastard.

It comfortable one-shots Yukari, with it being sub-300 if she's lucky. It can even err close to one-shotting Akihiko sometimes.

Needless to say, better hope Junpei has Marakukaja otherwise you'll be needing to handle the buffing yourself. Aigis doesn't get Marakukaja until level 56, so she's not an option.

The other thing the table does is just picks someone and kills them. This is a subtle distinction from killing everyone, yes. Hamaon itself is probably the closest thing we have to a breather round. Just think about that for a second.

Evil Touch is less dangerous in isolation, because it's also single target and it inflicts Fear. Base 25% chance, sure, but the table has 32 Luck. And Fear Boost.

So it is pretty likely that it sticks. And if it hits Yukari, you better have Patra (Gems) otherwise she is dead.

If it hits anyone else, better hope her AI is on-point and cures it and doesn't decide to Diarama someone.

no this didnt happen to me this time thankfully

The Table DOES have a nasty follow-up to this that I mentioned before. He never got a chance to use it, though, so we'll see it later. It's a bit of a doozy you see.

Anyway, the table has 1700 HP and is in fact quite tanky. It doesn't have particularly high Endurance but it resists all the Phys elements (nulling Strike) and even if you cast Fire Break... it still takes massively reduced damage. Because gently caress you.

Mind Charge + Boost + Amp + Tarukaja + Rakunda doesn't give many fucks, though. You can do this with Ice, Wind or Elec though Bufudyne does require either extra grinding or lucky skill changes. Garudyne is available easily at this point and Ziodyne's been available since like Mothman. Getting the Amps usually involves sacrificing Makoto's accessory slot but there's not much better to do with it at this stage so let rain the pain!

For what it's worth, Mind Charge is the only thing here you wouldn't normally have easy access to at this point. And without that, you still deal over 400 damage per Bufu/Garu/Ziodyne so...

...The EXP is nice for the table, but good Lord is the Megido Gem super underwhelming. Probably the only attack gem I actually use for reasons other than conserving SP but still.

End

tartarus_0d04

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people disliked the Sleeping Table fight, to be honest. It is a bit of a sudden spike compared to every other Tartarus boss and it just blasts you and suddenly oh gently caress everyone is down/dying/dead.

I think it's pretty fun, though. Keeps me awake, when Tartarus on the whole can be a little light and dull at times. Not my favourite though.

No, we haven't gotten to that one yet.

Anyway, after the table we just have the usual rigamarole of a few small floors and then the barrier's here.

Gonna remember to pick up the document while we're here. They're pretty useful and insightful and all.

Speaking of which, let's give it a quick read before letting Elizabeth see it.

You've met the deadline, as well.
Little by little, you're uncovering hidden truths that most humans will never be aware of...
What does the world look like from your eyes?
I'm sure you see it differently than before.
That's the power of knowledge.

5 beads is a pretty okay reward. Nice to have some guaranteed full heals on hand at all times, at least.

Nothing else left for us to do in Tartarus now, though. The only thing we have available at all that's technically doable is that danged Thunder Call combo skill but that's still a few levels away from being possible so...

Let's just go to bed, and see what the days ahead have in store for us next.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 13, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Portable buffs some of the later joke weapons a little to put them in line with the point in the game you get them, but on the other hand you still have to catch multiple gold shadows and most of the time I simply cannot be bothered.

There's nothing like bringing a spellcaster with Mind Charge, Boost, and Amp when you want to tell the game "gently caress You," is there?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people disliked the Sleeping Table fight, to be honest. It is a bit of a sudden spike compared to every other Tartarus boss and it just blasts you and suddenly oh gently caress everyone is down/dying/dead.

The first time I played through the game Natural Dancer and Sleeping Table were the roadblock fights for me, but I wouldn't say I disliked them. I actually had to think about team composition and what I had instead of just wandering into the boss fight and clearing it first try.

Now I just enjoy dumpstering them on principle.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So does the clean up scene change based on how many girls you're dating or is it only this set and only see this at all if you're dating them

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natural Dancer was tough for me until I wised up and got (IIRC) Dionysis and lucked out on getting his heart item, but I don't even remember Sleeping Table from my playthrough, so I guess it wasn't that tough for me. Maybe I'd already hit that point where physical damage isn't that much of a threat anymore, or maybe I happened to have just the right team composition or something.

rannum posted:

So does the clean up scene change based on how many girls you're dating or is it only this set and only see this at all if you're dating them
I don't remember seeing the bit with the girls at all in my playthrough, but Kenji and Makoto's Abbot and Costello act was there. I think the scene changes based upon whom you're dating at the time, if anyone. I wasn't great at Social Links when playing P3 (I didn't cotton on to the fact that the game wants to you play Bad Idea Enabler until far too late) and I was aware there was a jealousy mechanic in the game, so I might have only been that far in Chihiro's Social Link at the time, although I know I did eventually complete Yuko's as well.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I enjoyed the clean up scene, anything that breathes more life into the social link system and makes it less apparent that they happen in their own isolated microuniverses is okay in my book. Also the classmates are at their best when they interact with people who aren't Makoto.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I agree, I wish the game had a lot more group interactions like this to let the characters bounce off of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh man, I shouldn't be cringing nervously at pictures on a screen but that group scene... :cripes: