Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
This might be too "out there", but maybe the best way is to eat a balanced amount of both things instead of one of the extremes. I mean eat what you want, but f your dietary preferences become more of a "lifestyle" (or in some cases, almost like a religion) where it's a defining aspect of your personality, that's when I have a problem with it. On the vegan side it's mostly because of the hypocrisy (like my militant vegan relative who always uses leather products and will do "cheat" days and eat meat), on the "protein only manly man give me all your steaks" side because they are clearly just masking a picky eating "moooom I don't want to eat a salad!" stuff by pretending the only food that is manly is slabs of red meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Clearly a true wilderness man, definitely grew up where I did, in the outdoors. drat what a dude

The fuckin prairie?? naw, be a rich dude from Newark and then experience NYC and LA... that is how you become a true hunter

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pidan posted:

Maybe your scale is broken
I wish. My record of weights were verified on various scales--including medical offices, from then to now.

Note that I'm not saying I'm "thin." I'm not. I don't think I could be without a severe eating disorder. All I'm saying is that if you go by the "proper" measurements I should be a total butterball--even at my basement weight--and I'm not, and that weirds me out.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This might be too "out there", but maybe the best way is to eat a balanced amount of both things instead of one of the extremes. I mean eat what you want, but f your dietary preferences become more of a "lifestyle" (or in some cases, almost like a religion) where it's a defining aspect of your personality, that's when I have a problem with it. On the vegan side it's mostly because of the hypocrisy (like my militant vegan relative who always uses leather products and will do "cheat" days and eat meat), on the "protein only manly man give me all your steaks" side because they are clearly just masking a picky eating "moooom I don't want to eat a salad!" stuff by pretending the only food that is manly is slabs of red meat.
A dietitian once told me to ballpark the right amount of meat to eat per meal was to visualize it as about the size of a deck of playing cards. That seems about right if you're a full-grown, sedentary man I think.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

A dietitian once told me to ballpark the right amount of meat to eat per meal was to visualize it as about the size of a deck of playing cards. That seems about right if you're a full-grown, sedentary man I think.

My PHUO is that it's really absurd that meat eating is associated with masculinity because physiologically, women would benefit from meat much more than men do. They need more iron and the other nutrients in meat are pretty good for forming a babby. But somehow women eat way less meat than men, and most vegetarians (in western countries) are women. At least with vegans the disparity seems smaller, probably because vegan men can indulge their masculine desire for xxxtreme performative eating.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Summer loving sucks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Awards and honors
Teen Choice Award
Choice TV Reality/Variety Host for Fear Factor (2003, Nominated)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
1994 Hardball Frank Valente
1995–1999 NewsRadio Joe Garrelli
1996 MADtv Himself, guest appearance Season 2, Episode 7
1997 Bruce Testones, Fashion Photographer Writer, himself
1997–present Ultimate Fighting Championship Interviewer (1997–2002)
Color commentator (2002–present)
2001–2002 Late Friday Host
2001–2006; 2011-2012 Fear Factor Host
2002 Just Shoot Me! Chris "A Beautiful Mind"
2003 Good Morning, Miami Himself Season 1, Episode 17: "Fear and Loathing in Miami"
2003–2004 The Man Show Himself Host
2003–2004 Chappelle's Show Himself Season 1, Episode 4
Season 2, Episode 12
2003–2007 Last Comic Standing Celebrity talent scout
2005–2008 The Ultimate Fighter Announcer
2006 Inside the UFC Host
2007–2009 UFC Wired Host
2009 Game Show in My Head Host
2012–2013 UFC Ultimate Insider Himself
2013 Joe Rogan Questions Everything Host
2015 Silicon Valley Himself

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
2002 It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie Himself, cameo
2007 The Union: The Business Behind Getting High Himself
2007 American Drug War: The Last White Hope Himself
2010 DMT: The Spirit Molecule Host
2010 Venus & Vegas Richie
2011 Zookeeper Gale
2012 Here Comes the Boom Himself

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
2000 I'm Gonna Be Dead Someday... CD
2000 "Voodoo Punanny" CD single
2001 Live from the Belly of the Beast DVD
2006 Joe Rogan: Live DVD
2007 Shiny Happy Jihad CD
2010 Talking Monkeys in Space CD, DVD
2012 Live from the Tabernacle Online
2014 Rocky Mountain High Comedy Central special, online[80]
2016 Triggered Netflix[81]

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sure wish I could hunt as much as this dude!!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

next time pls post 1 post I dodn't care about instead of 5, thanks

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
weird gripe dude

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not really arguing, but I am saying that at 180 lbs. I had no spare body fat whatsoever. If it helps, I have the body frame of a Tolkein Dwarf, minus the hair. My shoulder-span rivals that of dudes 6' +. I know you've seen day laborers with similar frames.

You had lots of spare fat.

A case can be made for different builds/frames but 5'7 180lbs is a very big case indeed.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Joseph James Rogan (born August 11, 1967) is an American stand-up comedian, martial arts color commentator and podcast host

Hmm yes, total beast, no embellishment hear

A fan of comedy since his youth, Rogan began a career in stand-up in August 1988 in the Boston area, developing a blue comedy act. He moved to New York City two years later.

After relocating to Los Angeles in 1994, Rogan signed an exclusive developmental deal with Disney, appeared as an actor on the television sitcoms Hardball and NewsRadio, and worked in local comedy clubs. In 1997, he started working for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) as an interviewer and color commentator. Rogan released his first comedy special in 2000, and has since produced seven other specials. From 2001, he has been the host of several television shows, including Fear Factor, The Man Show, and Joe Rogan Questions Everything.

It's fun to post about people when you know nothing about them or what they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs4uQ6DfKV8

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dude is not a joke, he knows what he's doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3N5Rnx37O0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BokHwkQpJAA

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

We get it already you have a weird mancrush on joe rogan.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

We get it already you have a weird mancrush on joe rogan.

I don't get it though, like why poo poo on someone for something they're obviously good at. What are you achieving here. You included

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't get it though, like why poo poo on someone for something they're obviously good at. What are you achieving here. You included

I don't think I said anything specific about Joe Rogan. I mean I guess he's good at whatever you're cheerleading him for but my question is: who cares? And I'm pretty sure what the other guy is achieving is pissing you off, which some posters are wont to do.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don't think I said anything specific about Joe Rogan. I mean I guess he's good at whatever you're cheerleading him for but my question is: who cares? And I'm pretty sure what the other guy is achieving is pissing you off, which some posters are wont to do.

I don't have any problem with edgar and I really doubt he's posting to make me mad. you are stretching the hell out of this conversation, but obviously you care since you made it an issue. I was just showing videos to show the dude he was wrong

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I hate Joe because I'm super racist against Libertarians.

Other than that, he seems okay.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I couldn't tell you, I'm not an agricultural scientist. I'm not saying it's feasible for 100% of the meat we need/want to be produced this way or that it's feasible to convince people to revert entirely to rare meals of local meat. I've personally seen sustainable agriculture practiced on a small scale- ie, a family in Canada I knew used the older native american three-crop field system of maize, squash, and beans, with a smattering of other stuff like fruits, alongside pigs and goats, and the result was production of enough food for the family plus a bit extra to sell or donate. Obviously there is no way in hell that all seven billion of us can revert to this kind of lifestyle, nor is every place as suitable as Ontario to grow this way. But we can look into it instead of shrugging and loving the earth the way we currently do.

My point is that factory farming is only the most efficient method because we take it for granted in the west that we need to eat a shitload of pork, beef, etc. It'd be different if factory farming was all poultry and aquaculture and other animals were grazed on poor land unsuitable for growing, (plus this would free up a lot of land that goes to animal feed to be used for... something else) but them's the breaks.

I'm a total layman but I have friends in the field and I've done some reading, so if anyone knows better than me go for it.

In America a big part of the problem is corn. Now corn in and of itself isn't so bad; it's a part of several kinds of crop rotation and is good for calories. The issue is that corn in America is subsidized in a way that encourages heavy duty, mechanized farming of nothing but corn on vast stretches of land absolutely every year. Corn needs a lot of nitrates so if they never get replenished by planting something that puts them in the soil you have to get them elsewhere. "Elsewhere" is generally ammonia being sprayed in industrial amounts over the soil. The subsidies are for planting corn so that encourages just planting gently caress loads of corn wherever you possibly can even if it's not a good place for corn. You're guaranteed to get a paycheck even if the crop totally fails. Then you just sell the corn for however much you can get for it and plant more next year. This has led to a lot of problems in America's food system as the deluge of absurdly cheap corn gave rise to "let's put corn in everything." Corn is fine for calories but doesn't have a lot else in it.

Which leads to factory farming; the animals are generally fed corn, corn, and more corn. Cows fed nothing but corn live very short lives as they aren't designed for corn. The absurdly cheap corn makes it way cheaper to cramp a poo poo load of animals in awful conditions instead of farming them the traditional way. If memory serves this also screws up the quality of meat, especially beef. So now we have this heavily corn-based food system which just isn't healthy. Having corn in the food system isn't a problem; it's the amount of it we eat in the States. Needless to say this led to cheaper meat which led to people eating more and more meat. This also factors in to why fast food is the things it is; potatoes are pretty much always cheap because you can grow lots and lots of them on lovely land but everything else is heavily corn-based. The drink? Sweetened with corn. The bun? Also sweetened with corn. The meat? Corn fed. The fries? You bet your rear end corn is involved there too.

Really the biggest problem is industrial monoculture farming but good luck convincing somebody that gets those sweet corn subsidies every year to plant something else in between. As an aside this is also why parts of the Gulf of Mexico have become anoxic. The nitrates flow down the Mississippi River, out into the ocean, and get eaten by algae which then bloom, suck up all the oxygen, and kill everything else.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Jan 23, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's fun to post about people when you know nothing about them or what they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs4uQ6DfKV8

Unironically my favorite Newsradio scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-eT8HSXZ0Q

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Burgers and steaks should only be cooked in a pan (or griddle) and never on a grill. Grills are good for hot dogs, sausages, kebabs, and corn on the cob.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Alterian posted:

Burgers and steaks should only be cooked in a pan (or griddle) and never on a grill. Grills are good for hot dogs, sausages, kebabs, and corn on the cob.

What? What makes you specifically dislike beef stuff on a grill but not other things you can also cook in a pan just as well? I mean pan cooked burgers are fine and all but I would never cook them that way if I had access to a grill. The texture is all different.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m just saying, holding up some urban entertainment celeb with beaucoup bucks bc “he knows what he is doing” is dumb af

I came from a place where we ate what we killed... and also ate cheap poo poo from walmart, because there was no choice.

“I only eat what I hunt” in the US is 100% idle rich bullshit unless you’re in northern Alaska. Give me a bunch of money and I’ll do that too. He’s a celebrity, his poo poo isn’t relevant for anyone else.

Harrison Ford knows what he is doing but carpenter-wilderness rescue pilot is not a career path for 99.99% of people.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What? What makes you specifically dislike beef stuff on a grill but not other things you can also cook in a pan just as well? I mean pan cooked burgers are fine and all but I would never cook them that way if I had access to a grill. The texture is all different.

Thick burgers are nasty. Smash technique burgers are the best way to cook a burger. Cooking a steak in a pan is a better way to control the temperature to make sure it doesn't overcook. Hot dogs and sausages benefit from being cooked on the grill so they don't come out as greasy and their casings get cooked the best.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pidan posted:

There definitely exist vegans who believe that milking a cow is rape or w/e but it's actually pretty grisly:

Cows only give the amount of milk we want if they've recently given birth (like any mammal). So milk cows are basically impregnated as often as possible. From this we obviously get a lot of cow babies, and since we can't fill the world with cows we basically have to eat them.
Similarly for eggs, to get more chickens you have to make some baby chicks, and those that turn out to be male are discarded and destroyed. Even if you use a chicken breed that is good for both eggs and meat, and industrial agriculture doesn't, you only need one rooster for every ten chickens or so, so nine out of ten roosters need to go.

Now I don't think killing animals is wrong on principle, so I don't have a problem with vegetarianism. But technically speaking the vegan position is more consistent.

huh. apparently this isn't nearly as meme-friendly as cow rape because none of the annoying vegans I know ever say anything about it.

Maybe we should just release the unwanted calves/chicks into the wild. They get a taste of freedom, local predators get supplemental food, we get valuable animal protein (yeah you can theoretically get protein on a pure vegan diet but vegetarians tend to have way better nutrition than either omnivores or vegans.) Win/win/win.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Alterian posted:

Thick burgers are nasty. Smash technique burgers are the best way to cook a burger. Cooking a steak in a pan is a better way to control the temperature to make sure it doesn't overcook. Hot dogs and sausages benefit from being cooked on the grill so they don't come out as greasy and their casings get cooked the best.

I will agree that it can be more difficult on a grill to control temperature especially if you're cooking a lot of them and that an under/overcooked burger isnt good no matter how you cook it, but I still prefer the flavor. I never did this "smash technique" thing so maybe I'm missing out.

Given some past posts ITT about steak I have a feeling someone is about to bust in saying they prefer microwaved burgers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also why has Joe Rogan had almost every alt right leader on his podcast? It’s almost as if he has another point

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's how you get the clicks.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also why has Joe Rogan had almost every alt right leader on his podcast? It’s almost as if he has another point

Again, Libertarians falsely believe that it's okay to be different/wrong about stuff as long as you do it in a polite, respectable manner.

They value procedure and decorum.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Aramek posted:

Again, Libertarians falsely believe that it's okay to be different/wrong about stuff as long as you do it in a polite, respectable manner.

They value procedure and decorum.

And spinning back turned side kicks apparently.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DandyLion posted:

And spinning back turned side kicks apparently.

We've all had to turn on that Sweet Chin Music before.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
More like two conflicting opinions, whose conflict and indecisiveness makes it more unpopular:

- I absolutely believe that when it comes to dogs, it's the breeding more than the breed

- I give literally no shits about breed bans taking your Fluffy away from you, because you willingly and intentionally adopted a dog whose breed already has a stigma*, and by-complete-coincidence-I'm-sure just happens to do a lot more damage when it taps into its never-completely-gone inner wolf

* which is 70% of the reason why you chose that dog in the first place, even if you'll lie and say I'm wrong

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

More like two conflicting opinions, whose conflict and indecisiveness makes it more unpopular:

- I absolutely believe that when it comes to dogs, it's the breeding more than the breed

- I give literally no shits about breed bans taking your Fluffy away from you, because you willingly and intentionally adopted a dog whose breed already has a stigma*, and by-complete-coincidence-I'm-sure just happens to do a lot more damage when it taps into its never-completely-gone inner wolf

* which is 70% of the reason why you chose that dog in the first place, even if you'll lie and say I'm wrong

....what? The last few pages has been a weird Vegan/Vegetarian/Meat eating debate which somehow took a sharp left turn to Joe Rogan for...reasons. Dog chat was like, years ago.

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008
im sure this has already been said in some form or another in this thread, but i think Wonder Woman at best was painfully mediocre. maybe im just burnt out on super hero movies, but i was practically bored to tears during this film. it just seemed so by the books, with the only thing setting it apart from any other super hero movie being the woman lead. i truly do not understand why so many people think this movie is so incredible, and i sometimes wonder if its more of a political type thing and people dont want to call it bad because not liking a movie with a woman as the lead must mean you hate women!!!! like its impossible to judge a movie based on its merit if theres a female lead or something

like the way people were hyping it up and talking about how awesome it was i was super pumped going in, finally a well made movie with a woman in the lead role! i left really confused and disappointed

am i correct in assuming the praise is less about the movie and its quality and more about its financial success that proves there is an appetite for movies with women as leads? because i do think that is a good thing and can appreciate the movie from that angle

discarded box has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Jan 24, 2018

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Mutts are the best dogs and I cannot understand for the life of me why people spend hundreds of dollars on pre-broke dogs.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

discarded box posted:

im sure this has already been said in some form or another in this thread, but i think Wonder Woman at best was painfully mediocre. maybe im just burnt out on super hero movies, but i was practically bored to tears during this film. it just seemed so by the books, with the only thing setting it apart from any other super hero movie being the woman lead. i truly do not understand why so many people think this movie is so incredible, and i sometimes wonder if its more of a political type thing and people dont want to call it bad because not liking a movie with a woman as the lead must mean you hate women!!!! like its impossible to judge a movie based on its merit if theres a female lead or something

like the way people were hyping it up and talking about how awesome it was i was super pumped going in, finally a well made movie with a woman in the lead role! i left really confused and disappointed

am i correct in assuming the praise is less about the movie and its quality and more about its financial success that proves there is an appetite for movies with women as leads? because i do think that is a good thing and can appreciate the movie from that angle

Superhero films are mediocre, bland and utterly prosaic products designed solely on the principle of "well known property" + "film" = Guaranteed $$$.

Having a female lead is entirely irrelevant.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Jan 24, 2018

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Unpopular opinion: the fact that farming meat is not environmentally friendly isn't the root problem. The problem is the population. Cut the population by 90% and the pollution added by farming meat to feed the survivors would be negligible.

I think I know a way to solve both problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Everyone feels like it's necessary to give their detailed opinion on wonder woman and if they don't like it they always feel compelled to include a bunch of stuff assuring the reader that they aren't sexist. My unpopular opinion is that it's OK to just say you don't like a movie, and unless you explicitly don't like it because it has a woman as the lead character nobody has the right to call you anti-feminist or whatever. The over-assuring that you dislike it for the proper reasons just makes me think you're covering for something.

(this wasn't directed explicitly at you discarded box, it just reminded me of like every post i've seen in pyf talking about the movie)