Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you break down a 6* ability, do you get the nightmare record back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Nihilarian posted:

If you break down a 6* ability, do you get the nightmare record back?

Good question, I'm scared to try it, and I'd say not worth doing in any case unless you have a R5 Quad Foul or something..

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It'll show you in the shatter confirm screen. Almost 100% you get it back.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Returning to this game after a while, still a newbie with like 66 stamina and 20 mythril. Is there a relic tier list for these lovely ones I currently have? Any cool banners coming up?

I'll just farm these newcomer dungeons for mythril for now

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

poe meater posted:

Returning to this game after a while, still a newbie with like 66 stamina and 20 mythril. Is there a relic tier list for these lovely ones I currently have? Any cool banners coming up?

there's a billion relics out there these days, tell us which SBs you've got and we can tell you what's good

the onion knight banner up right now has some real good poo poo in it, if you can get up to 50 myth before it goes away on the 28th it's worth a pull

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

poe meater posted:

Newcomer dungeons are good for the mythril, just don't pull on the newcomer banners.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

there's a billion relics out there these days, tell us which SBs you've got and we can tell you what's good

the onion knight banner up right now has some real good poo poo in it, if you can get up to 50 myth before it goes away on the 28th it's worth a pull

Pull on Onion Knight. You have a real good chance to get a gamechanger OK relic

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

Supposedly you wouldn't even need a healer for this battle either.

This is the main benefit of Edge's SSB2. At least for 3* magicites, 2 casts and proper mitigation is enough to get most or all of your party to the 30 second mark without any healing. That means you've replaced your healer who is doing 0 dps, with someone who can spam fast-casting, resistance-ignoring magic or fast-casting 4 (soon to be 7) hit physicals in most of the relevant elements.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Looks like I was running a FFT team with mustadio bsb, orlandeu ssb, zell bsb, deltia bsb, marach bsb/rapha bsb

I also got rydia osb, tidus bsb, ashe ssb, noel bsb, edge ssb, aeris ssb, papalymo ssb/bsb, braska ssb, fran ssb, tyro bsb

Probably not gonna pull on onion knight (i didnt play ff3)

Thanks for the help

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pull on Onion Knight anyway, it's a very good banner.

Sometimes characters you don't really care about end up being really good. Aphmau is one of my star players thanks to her USB and I have no idea who the gently caress she is.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
What’s the deal with OK? I have no idea how to use him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

His gimmick is that his stats are terrible until level 90, at which point they jump up on par with everyone else. His other thing is that he has access to a lot of skills once you dive him and can easily build for melee or magic, so he can fill many gaps in your team. His OTHER other thing is that he just got two USBs that really buff physical and magic teams.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I never even looked at OK before even though I had pulled his SSB and OSB but when I pulled his pUSB and BSB in the most recent banner I immediately egged him and complete legend dived him and now he's in every single one of my teams and can compete much harder content as a result

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Awesome info, thank you. How is his low HP dealt with or am I too basic in my thinking?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's not terrible past 95, that's his gimmick. Until then just use growth eggs.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Level him up. All his stats, including HP, are terrible until level 93 when things start taking off.

(Old but still relevant.)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gah, I forgot about the maintenance period. Why did you have to choose dark / ice orbs day, Dena :negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What is in todays maintenance,?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

fridge corn posted:

What is in todays maintenance,?

Probably just getting in the banners for the next couple of months and the 4* Magicites. It'll last us til the anniversary probably.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Uuuugh, more machinist motes. Is there any chance these will ever be good or should I just transmute them into crystals.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

poe meater posted:

Looks like I was running a FFT team with mustadio bsb, orlandeu ssb, zell bsb, deltia bsb, marach bsb/rapha bsb

I also got rydia osb, tidus bsb, ashe ssb, noel bsb, edge ssb, aeris ssb, papalymo ssb/bsb, braska ssb, fran ssb, tyro bsb

Probably not gonna pull on onion knight (i didnt play ff3)

Thanks for the help

OSBs are always "good", though they're rarely "great", given that they just do a single damage-cap-breaking hit. Solid for finishing off bosses, though.

Past that, like you said, most of this stuff is generally slightly obsolete, though I'll note still-good specifics:
  • Zell BSB (Duelist): Gives a party-wide critfix, has a +ATK/-DEF effect CMD1 and a spammable CMD2. It's not his best option but it's still one of the few BSBs that is still usable in the more recent metagame. This was one of the best physical BSBs and it'll be a workhorse for you.
  • Papalymo SSB (Ley Lines): Quickcast, Hastega, MAG +30%. This is a solid mage team relic, even if there are better. Unfortunately, it directly competes for gauge with...
  • Papalymo BSB (Enochian Firaja): This is one of a handful of mage BSBs that has a scaling CMD1. Basically, the more MAG Papalymo has, the more hits it does, up to 6 hits per cast. Papalymo gets a doublecast proc on his legend dive, and the CMD2 boosts his magic if you need help getting it to the point where you get six hits. This may only do fire damage, but it does a boatload of it.
  • Rapha BSB (Heaven's Wrath FFT): Party-wide MAG/RES buff (stacks with Ley Lines) and a minor healing bump on the CMD1 means this does good work in supporting a mage team. It can't really do much on its own, but that's what you have Papalymo and Rydia for.
  • Tyro BSB (Keeper's Tome): Proshellga + Magic Blink is a decent chunk of kit, and in a pinch you can use Tyro as a supporter with this burst. Not bad, but generally gets left behind in favor of Sentinel's Grimoire or the upcoming Godwall if you have them.

Past that, what you have is "usable". I wouldn't rely on it for nightmares/magicite or even harder Jump Start fights, but it'll carry you through most event content and realm dungeons.

If you want to chase your favorites (and don't want to pull on Onionsan's banner, which is perfectly understandable given the various caveats in using him), then you're definitely going to want to look forward to the FFT event coming up. If Global keeps the same event order as Japan (we'll find out later on this morning) then it should be about a month out from now, and has a whole bunch of stuff on the higher edge of the power curve, including Ramza's Shout-based BSB, Orlandeau's ridiculous USB, and Marche's almost-as-ridiculous USB, as well as a slew of good healer relics for Alma, who debuts in that event.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 24, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Not for the next six months at least. JP is just getting new 6* abilities, but those are for the Nightmare classes and nothing's been mentioned for job motes.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
They’re selling job motes on the Ruby trade shop opened with the new Torments, I thought.

EDIT: “Selling”, you pick them up by trading the new currency they reward you when beating those Torments.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Parasol Waddle Dee posted:

They’re selling job motes on the Ruby trade shop opened with the new Torments, I thought.

EDIT: “Selling”, you pick them up by trading the new currency they reward you when beating those Torments.

Yeah, but the motes themselves only unlock one skill - in Machinist's case, Penalty Snipe (which is godawful).

As of this writing there is no other use for motes than their original unlock.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It looks like the next great banner after this is FFT's one that has 2 great USBs (Orlandeau for the first time, and Marche again).

How many weeks away is that?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It looks like the next great banner after this is FFT's one that has 2 great USBs (Orlandeau for the first time, and Marche again).

How many weeks away is that?

We don't know the tentative dates for events until after maintenance, usually, but if we go by Japan's order, there's three events between then and now - Type-0, FF14, and FF1.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not for the next six months at least. JP is just getting new 6* abilities, but those are for the Nightmare classes and nothing's been mentioned for job motes.

Actually the very first set is Spellblades, which is a job mote school. The new 6 stars don't use job motes to create so it's just gaining access to the 6 star rank and shattering old abilities for now.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Dollar-pulled on the Crystal banners and got Zidane's LMR. Not super excited about the effect but it's +Wind armor so that's great.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
How does the inheritance level work? I tested one by i fusing a couple of lvl1 one stars and it jumped from lvl 6 to 72.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Anybody have a strategy/advice for the ??? Boss on this crystal tower? First attempt on him was a wash. Do I just need to break the hell out of him?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Randabis posted:

Anybody have a strategy/advice for the ??? Boss on this crystal tower? First attempt on him was a wash. Do I just need to break the hell out of him?

He's got a static pattern that he doesn't deviate from:

- Punch
- Crushing Grasp (front row)
- Chain Strike
- Roar
- Punch
- Crushing Grasp (back row)
- Chain Strike
- Roar
- Repeat.

Breaks help a lot. Keep your entire party to one row, and if you have someone who can wrath-chain into Mblinks you can time them to avoid the dispels, but if it's not Rosa USB/Firion BSB then you might find yourself getting Interrupt-ganked halfway through charging up. Back row is safer/easier than front row since it means you can potentially leave Protectga at home. (Chain Strike and Punch both respect row, and Crushing Grasp/Roar are magic attacks.)

He's got pretty beefy stats and no weaknesses, so no matter what you're gonna wanna bring some hefty DPS to chew through him.

Also, just like when he was on the FF6 event, :siren::siren:REMEMBER TO APPLY BREAKS TO ULTIMA WEAPON BEFORE HE HITS 70%.:siren::siren:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 24, 2018

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

KataraniSword posted:

Also, just like when he was on the FF6 event, :siren::siren:REMEMBER TO APPLY BREAKS TO ULTIMA WEAPON BEFORE HE HITS 70%.:siren::siren:

I'm pretty glad I brought Yuna's USB to that fight.

Also, keep everyone in the front row in the Deathguise fight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magicite Inheritance: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/73v76w/magicite_inheritance_explanation_analysis_and/

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Not a clean kill, but a kill. Vivi isn't the best Lightning DPS, but he'll do for now (and the Trance is helpful). Garnet definitely putting in work; USB on a recast is doing 7x7.3k without any boosting RMs.

Not sure if I have the oomph for any of the others. Best bet is probably Midgarsormr or Ixion (dreading that Dispel though...)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Wow, as someone fairly new to this game this is getting hella complicated now. Multiple types of SBs, "diving", legend materia, record materia, magicite, and now magicite inheritance that looks like a weird form of Pokémon breeding?

This is getting a bit overwhelming. I know it's for the people sat at endgame wanting more ways to minmax their comps but as a newbie it's another mountain on the horizon needed to traverse to catch up.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Wow, as someone fairly new to this game this is getting hella complicated now. Multiple types of SBs, "diving", legend materia, record materia, magicite, and now magicite inheritance that looks like a weird form of Pokémon breeding?

This is getting a bit overwhelming. I know it's for the people sat at endgame wanting more ways to minmax their comps but as a newbie it's another mountain on the horizon needed to traverse to catch up.

For a newbie that stuff is so far off it's not even a thing. Don't worry about it. When you get there you will know what questions you want to ask.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Here's a very basic breakdown of all those things:

SBs:

There are several forms. Note that other than the most basic level of SBs, all other types will grant a stat bonus for mastering.

Uniques (or just SBs): The most basic type. You won't see them appearing anymore, other than on the Newcomer's banners and Tyro/Y'shtola's Wall relics.
Super Soul Breaks (or SSBs): Stronger SBs that either do more damage or have 2-3 useful buffs/effects. Slowly getting phased out. Some are still very useful.
Burst Soul Breaks (or BSBs): These have effects on par with SSBs, but the added bonus of putting the caster into Burst Mode (and also casting Haste on themselves). Burst Mode is a mode that lasts about 4-5 turns, and grants the user 20% to all stats and replaces the Attack and Defend commands with infinite-use commands (that are usually about as strong as 4* abilities).
Overstrike Soul Breaks (or OSBs): Found only on characters focused on doing damage. These are basically single-hit, very powerful attacks that can break the damage cap (up to 99999 damage). They're fairly no frills, although two of them (Orlandu's and Noctis') have special effects.
Ultra Soul Breaks (or USBs): The current big thing. USBs are basically stronger versions of SSBs, often with a bunch of useful effects and/or putting the user in a special mode that lets them do a lot more damage.
Chain Soul Breaks (or CSBs): These apply a field effect that enhance a specific element. Using attacks of that element will also magnify that bonus, so it's designed for elementally-focused teams.

Legend Materia/Diving:

Legend Materia can be accessed by drawing a relic for a character or by fully diving a character (which requires 3*, 4* and 5* motes). These are unique to each character and are separate from Record Materia slots. They're often very useful and can make a huge difference, but 5* motes are very limited in supply so you have to consider carefully who you want to use them on.

Magicite:

Unlocked after completing all the Nightmares and beating Magicite bosses (who are extremely tough and considered end-game content). Magicite apply bonus stats and passive effects, and you can assign one to use in battle to assist the party by chiming in with attacks every now and then. Magicite inheritance allows one to strengthen them by 'sacrificing' other magicite to stronger ones. Don't worry about them for now, since it'll be a while before you're in shape to get them.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Wow, thanks for the explanation, I'm still at the stage where I'm chaining realm dungeons to up my stamina and pulling on non-newcomer banners with the mythril I get, and had been struggling to find a source that just spelled it out like that. Much appreciated, you're good goons. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Pander posted:

For a newbie that stuff is so far off it's not even a thing. Don't worry about it. When you get there you will know what questions you want to ask.

This cannot be stressed enough. I got overwhelmed too first time I came in here and folks were talking about everything.

--Magicites are literally the last thing you need to worry about, after clearing Nightmare fights.
--Nightmares are kinda gimmick fights, but still require a good set of skills and character access, and being able to beat 140-difficulty bosses to get to them.
--140-difficulty bosses are going to seem impossible at first, just focus on events (normal events with low-level parts, not this Crystal Tower out now) and story missions and such. Cid's beginner quests to craft skills are a good place to start, some are out of date but mythril is mythril and it gives you some of the big utility skills.

You can coast for quite a while off Roaming Warriors if you grab one with a strong overstrike or a DPS USB/BSB and use it to hammer bosses, so don't be afraid to push past your comfort zone in events. All you lose for failure is stamina, and while that can sting at low levels when your max is low even the most expensive stuff is only a few hours. The rewards for pushing further in events are worth it; for us getting a new skill or accessory may be something we stick in the bank and forget about because it's the same or worse than other stuff, but for you a free 5-star ability or the stats on even a bad accessory can be huge. Also, that first time you clear a personal threshold feels GREAT.

• Locked thread