Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kylaer posted:

I am planning to buy some bonds in my taxable account. I would assume municipal bonds are the way to go, since I'm in a higher tax bracket. The bobblehead portfolio concept always recommends doing total market, but the yield on total market municipals seems really poor.

Since my plan is to buy and hold (I'm not going to rebalance, since I'd have to pay capital gains), would it make more sense to buy long-term instead of whole market?

The standard Boglehead recommendation is VWITX Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Fund. If you're lucky Vanguard also offered State specific muni bonds. If they are available, you should put half into VWITX and half into the State bond just for diversification purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

My wife’s company switched payroll from ADP to Workday and so for the last month 401(k) deposits haven’t occurred. They’re basically holding $1600 of our and we can’t figure out yet when it will get sorted. What a bunch of bullshit

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

Marcus (Goldman Sachs) just bumped up again to 1.5%

Capital One 360 posted:

Interest Rate Change to 1.391% (1.40% APY)

Yup, still not worth it to change.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ally's at 1.35 now and I didn't even know it (went up 2 days ago)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They had a 12 month CD at 2% during the Christmas break.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

H110Hawk posted:

Yup, still not worth it to change.

What's interesting is they have a $10k minimum on top of having a lower interest rate. Are people really going for that over Ally or GS?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

What's interesting is they have a $10k minimum on top of having a lower interest rate. Are people really going for that over Ally or GS?

Inertia is real. Plenty of people have more than $10k in their 3-6 month efund. I get over that that in mortgage alone for 6 months.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a good credit monitoring service that isn't stupidly expensive? I check my credit 3 times a year, but I would feel much more secure with some sort of monitoring service.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Is there a good credit monitoring service that isn't stupidly expensive? I check my credit 3 times a year, but I would feel much more secure with some sort of monitoring service.

Many credit cards/bank accounts these days offer ~monthlyish credit checks for free. It shows new credit lines, which is probably the most important thing you need to know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Mint (free) emailed me about a recent hard pull (I'm refing a property) in less that 15 minutes after it happened. CreditKarma (free) did the same an hour or so later. Chase Credit Journey (also....free) emailed a few hours after that.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Many credit cards/bank accounts these days offer ~monthlyish credit checks for free. It shows new credit lines, which is probably the most important thing you need to know.

I have Chase, Capital One, Citi Bank and Ally, I checked and it seems that only Chase offers free credit scores.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I get free fico scores from my Citi (Double Cash), Capital One, and Discover cards.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
creditkarma is cool and good as long as you can accept the fact that they'll try to sell you poo poo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I opened my Ally savings they sent me a letter a week later to apologize for doing a hard pull on my credit and that they worked it out with Transunion to eliminate it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I have Chase, Capital One, Citi Bank and Ally, I checked and it seems that only Chase offers free credit scores.

My capital one 360 (checking, saving, money market) account shows me all of my open lines and amount last reported, as well as any derogatory remarks along with their faux "fico8 made for the purpose of being free to offer by banks" score. Citi has something similar but in a much slower interface.

I get a monthly email from capital one telling me what's up. It's not what motronic described at all in that it doesn't get a live feed from the agencies for real time reporting.

Edit:

I can expand that out to see my actual lines.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 23, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Motronic posted:

Mint (free) emailed me about a recent hard pull (I'm refing a property) in less that 15 minutes after it happened. CreditKarma (free) did the same an hour or so later. Chase Credit Journey (also....free) emailed a few hours after that.

And then two months later the free credit monitoring from the OPM hack sends you an email :v:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thirding Credit Karma, they've been really fantastic for me so far, caught one suspicious pull (that turned out to be nothing) within about half an hour of it happening.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Agreed - I haven't logged in to Credit Karma in years and I still get a warning email from them within minutes of a hard pull. I got approved for a Chase card the other day and I got a Credit Karma email about it before the Chase automated confirmation email.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yayyy my rollover made it to Vanguard and it's incoming now. Got a nice chunk of money saved up, somehow...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Yayyy my rollover made it to Vanguard and it's incoming now. Got a nice chunk of money saved up, somehow...

:toot: It really can sneak up on you if it comes out of your paycheck automatically.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I don't want to de-rail the thread anymore but thanks guys.

I did a little more digging and signed up with Credit Journey (Transunion / Chase), Fico (Equifax / Citibank) and Credit Wise (Capital One / Transunion).

Might or might not sign up for Credit Karma, gonna see if they do searches / pulls through Experian.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm under 30, make decent money, and have a Trad IRA in Betterment. Its limit is $5500 or something and I can max that out with ease. Once that is maxed out I've been putting at least 4x the ira max in a taxable account per year. My employer doesn't offer a 401k. Is there something else I should be doing better? I hate the feeling of getting screwed on taxes every year for what I'm calling my "retirement"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which funds are you putting in taxable? It's possible to be really tax efficient with the right funds.

Do you have access to an HSA plan? If you have kids you can also put money into a 529 plan for tax free growth.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Are you paid as a contractor (1099) or employee (w2)? If it's the former, you could look into starting an individual 401k.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Just dump your taxable stuff in VT and call it good. It’s all stocks, as diversified as a fund can get, 94.78% qualified dividends, and comes with an ER of 0.11%.

VV yea whoops VV

DNK fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 25, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DNK posted:

Just dump your taxable stuff in VT and call it good. It’s all stocks, as diversified as a fund can get, 94.78% qualified dividends, and comes with an ER of 0.05%.

Is this what you're talking about? I see the ER as 0.11%.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I just wanted to double check, the target date retirement funds (Vanguard) are institutional and individual only? Are there admiral versions?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Jamfrost posted:

I just wanted to double check, the target date retirement funds (Vanguard) are institutional and individual only? Are there admiral versions?
There are no admiral versions.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I work for the US branch of a European company. The US branch is fairly small (~5 people) and fairly new (~1 year old). Our 401k provider is currently Principal Group, which has a 1.5% custody fee + fund fees of at least 0.7%. This was selected a year ago when the company had no manpower to research better options and the fund had no assets. We're aware that this is a disadvantageous arrangement and HR is pretty fed up with Principal's support, so this year we're looking for a replacement.

My first though was Vanguard. Their small business plan is $3450 for the plan (15 people) with no custody fees and fund fees of at least 0.04%. While we can definitely justify the fee over Principal (and Vanguard is the gold standard in recruiting), I'm not sure we can justify it over something like Employee Fiduciary. Their small business plan is $1500 for the plan (30 people) with a 0.08% custody fee and fund fees of at least 0.04%.

Does anyone here have experience with 401k providers for small businesses? What other providers (Charles Schwab, Fidelity, etc) should we research?

(minimum fund fees are based on the ER of the plan's main large cap index)

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Microcline posted:

I work for the US branch of a European company. The US branch is fairly small (~5 people) and fairly new (~1 year old). Our 401k provider is currently Principal Group, which has a 1.5% custody fee + fund fees of at least 0.7%. This was selected a year ago when the company had no manpower to research better options and the fund had no assets. We're aware that this is a disadvantageous arrangement and HR is pretty fed up with Principal's support, so this year we're looking for a replacement.

My first though was Vanguard. Their small business plan is $3450 for the plan (15 people) with no custody fees and fund fees of at least 0.04%. While we can definitely justify the fee over Principal (and Vanguard is the gold standard in recruiting), I'm not sure we can justify it over something like Employee Fiduciary. Their small business plan is $1500 for the plan (30 people) with a 0.08% custody fee and fund fees of at least 0.04%.

Does anyone here have experience with 401k providers for small businesses? What other providers (Charles Schwab, Fidelity, etc) should we research?

Employee Fiduciary is very popular among the Bogleheads. Lots of folks have talked about them on the forum with high praise.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Microcline posted:

Take a look at Guideline. They’re interesting and offer admiral share Vanguard options. $500 setup and $8 per employee per month.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"As of 01/25/2018, the expense ratio on your Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Fund Investor Shares has changed from 0.16% to 0.15%."

Hot dang, I'm on my way to the baller life now

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Mu Zeta posted:

"As of 01/25/2018, the expense ratio on your Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Fund Investor Shares has changed from 0.16% to 0.15%."

Hot dang, I'm on my way to the baller life now

Trim them fees!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Trim them fees!

Yeah, 0.01% isn't much of a difference but I was just looking at two different Mutual Funds, one an S&P 500 index with 0.28% ER and the other a Large Cap Growth Fund with 0.81% ER.

S&P 500 and Large Cap Growth should be pretty similar but this sheet was saying that the Growth fund had outperformed the S&P fund by about 1% year over year measuring both since inception.

I punched both funds into Portfoliovisualizer and over the same period of time (last 20 years) the cheaper S&P500 fund had an IRR a little more than .5% better, which is significant.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This is my first year working a job that receives a legit end of year bonus (my previous job was quarterly commissions) and I'm discovering that my bonus is taxed at a rate higher than my regular income rate. Since I'm used to commissions that were always taxed at my regular rate, this was an unpleasant surprise. As far as my 401k goes, if I'm paying higher taxes on my yearly bonus, shouldn't I put as much of my bonus as I can into my 401k which would then have me taking less out of my regular pay? They payout happens in February so it would be like frontloading the current year's 401k contribution, right?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Your bonus should just be ordinary income. Not sure why it'd be taxed at a higher rate unless you specifically set it to withhold more.

To answer your question, sure you can front load your 401k with your bonus. Just be mindful that you might not get your full company match if you don't contribute at least X% of your income every paycheck.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Bonus income is withheld at a higher rate, but will be taxed like ordinary income.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Fhqwhgads posted:

This is my first year working a job that receives a legit end of year bonus (my previous job was quarterly commissions) and I'm discovering that my bonus is taxed at a rate higher than my regular income rate. Since I'm used to commissions that were always taxed at my regular rate, this was an unpleasant surprise. As far as my 401k goes, if I'm paying higher taxes on my yearly bonus, shouldn't I put as much of my bonus as I can into my 401k which would then have me taking less out of my regular pay? They payout happens in February so it would be like frontloading the current year's 401k contribution, right?

Bonuses aren't TAXED at a higher rate, but they are often WITHHELD at a higher than normal rate. You should get that money back when you file your taxes. If you want to manipulate it, don't mess with your 401k, change your withholding.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

You treat your bonus as good ol income anyway so come tax time all your income and deductions shake out, even if it was taxed differently throughout the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Hoodwinker posted:

Bonus income is withheld at a higher rate, but will be taxed like ordinary income.

I Like Jell-O posted:

Bonuses aren't TAXED at a higher rate, but they are often WITHHELD at a higher than normal rate. You should get that money back when you file your taxes. If you want to manipulate it, don't mess with your 401k, change your withholding.

Ohhh. OK that makes more sense to me. Probably not worth manipulating my withholding or 401k then but good to know.