Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I loved Yakuza 0, then I started Kiwami and I was digging it for a while but then I just gradually played less and less of it. I haven't touched it for months. It's just not as interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kiwami suffers from still being 1 with the cracks papered over and the series didn't really hit its stride until the second game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Kiwami suffers from still being 1 with the cracks papered over and the series didn't really hit its stride until the second game.

Is Kiwami 2 a good deal better than Kiwami 1?

Like I think I might just read about the Yakuza 1 story when I'm done with 0

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I've finally gotten around to playing Prey (the recent one) and y'know I feel sort of bad for waiting this long. I know it didn't sell great, but the game has so far BEEN pretty great -- combat is a bit clunky, but that sort of works since I'm a nerdy chick and not a well-trained security person or whatever. The setting is far and away some of the best level design I've seen in an FPS, up there with DOOM in terms of crazy vertical environments and a sense of exploration. Unlike DOOM, exploring is far more emphasized here and I've had a blast figuring out how to use my GLOO gun to get to random platforms and high ledges.

I'm honestly surprised to have seen so much rather negative reactions to this around the forums, so I'm expecting the game to poo poo itself in the third act, but if it doesn't, this will likely remain a very underrated game that seemed to miss its time in the sun for one reason or another.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Negative reactions are mostly due to some technical troubles at launch and terrible loading times on the Ps4. And also the ending, the very last post-credits cutscene. It doesn't ruin everything but...well, you'll see.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You missed the memo everyone loves Prey now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

when i've looked for it i've seen almost nothing but praise for prey but the key phrase there is "when i've looked for it" because the vast majority didn't know what it was and didn't care about it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it's quite the opposite really, goons all love Prey above the review aggregate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

al-azad posted:

Ursula Le Guin passed.

god drat it

also all you nerds saying you have no idea who that is should read A Wizard of Earthsea and The Left Hand of Darkness at least, the woman was a giant in the world of actually-good sci-fi / fantasy. the former is YA but it's still fantastic, the latter doesn't need any qualifications

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 24, 2018

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I read wizard of earthsea as a kid and I still think about it now as a very unique flavor of fantasy that I haven't seen done quite the same anywhere else.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
So, I had an endoscopy. The doctor applied the anesthetic in my veins, waited for a while and asked me how I felt. I told her I was still wide awake, probably because it was my first time. She looked back at her assistant to say something and then I was getting into the elevator to go home. A 30-45min total blank in my mind.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

god drat it

also all you nerds saying you have no idea who that is should read A Wizard of Earthsea and The Left Hand of Darkness at least, the woman was a giant in the world of actually-good sci-fi / fantasy. the former is YA but it's still fantastic, the latter doesn't need any qualifications

MMF Freeway posted:

I read wizard of earthsea as a kid and I still think about it now as a very unique flavor of fantasy that I haven't seen done quite the same anywhere else.

I have all the books of hers that were published here(Wizard of Earthsea, Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed). I think Tombs of Atuan was also recently adapted, so I'll probably try it too.

Earthsea is great for many reasons, not only is it a very tasteful fantasy book, it's also incredibly optimistic. A breath of fresh air in these dreary times.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i read a scifi book by m. john harrison once

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Going under is loving weird yeah. WHen I had surgery and they were like count back from 10 I reached 4 i think and then I woke up in the hospital bed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm honestly surprised to have seen so much rather negative reactions to this around the forums, so I'm expecting the game to poo poo itself in the third act, but if it doesn't, this will likely remain a very underrated game that seemed to miss its time in the sun for one reason or another.
Prey thread has been loving it since release and hasn't really stopped and I did my part gushing about it in the Steam thread. The negative reactions come mostly from outside the forums.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

So, I had an endoscopy. The doctor applied the anesthetic in my veins, waited for a while and asked me how I felt. I told her I was still wide awake, probably because it was my first time. She looked back at her assistant to say something and then I was getting into the elevator to go home. A 30-45min total blank in my mind.

The only time I've ever had general anesthesia was when I got my wisdom teeth out and it was weird as gently caress. Just going from the needle going in, counting down from 10 to like 5 is the last thing I remember, and then just waking up with a numb mouth packed full of gauze.

They gave me some nitrous oxide before putting me completely under and that was extremely strange, too. I expected to feel all high and loopy, but what I actually felt like was just... nothing. I didn't give a gently caress about anything. They ended up needing to put the anesthesia IV into my wrist, which is really painful, and the thing is that I definitely felt the pain. I wasn't numb to it at all. I just didn't care, it didn't matter at all. Gotta say it wasn't exactly an unpleasant thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

when i lost my foot they hit me with some sort of gas that put me out instantaneously. i have like a week of my life where i have dream memories that are just as real as my real memories. i was like in and out for the whole time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samuringa posted:

I have all the books of hers that were published here(Wizard of Earthsea, Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed). I think Tombs of Atuan was also recently adapted, so I'll probably try it too.

Earthsea is great for many reasons, not only is it a very tasteful fantasy book, it's also incredibly optimistic. A breath of fresh air in these dreary times.

I reread Left Hand of Darkness recently and I just now rediscovered my copy of The Dispossessed so I guess I should reread that now.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am scared of getting the kind of surgery where you go under because i am afraid of what my unfiltered unconscious mind will say to people

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

codenameFANGIO posted:

I am scared of getting the kind of surgery where you go under because i am afraid of what my unfiltered unconscious mind will say to people

According to my wife I just argue about finding a parking spot and disputing past transactions with my bank so I'm not too worried.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

In Training posted:

Going under is loving weird yeah. WHen I had surgery and they were like count back from 10 I reached 4 i think and then I woke up in the hospital bed.

Hearing these accounts is reassuring since I'm waiting on a surgery date and anesthesia as an idea just makes me feel iffy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
A doctor was talking to me on my left and I didn't even notice they had put it in on my right arm. No counting or anything just mid-conversation and out.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Harrow posted:

The only time I've ever had general anesthesia was when I got my wisdom teeth out and it was weird as gently caress. Just going from the needle going in, counting down from 10 to like 5 is the last thing I remember, and then just waking up with a numb mouth packed full of gauze.

:same:

Apparently I was given a gift card for a free smoothie on the way out? I have no recollection of it and didn't know where it came from when I found it somewhere like a week later.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you never have to get anesthesia if you never go to the doctor to find out if something's wrong with you

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That time when I had bolts in my leg and they somehow drilled them out while I was conscious without me knowing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I remember waking up after my gallbladder removal surgery very well because I woke up, said "bluh", and then threw up yellow bile all over my bed like I was a water bottle and someone squeezed me. It was awesome and for a moment I felt like the girl in the exorcist. But then it hurt real bad and that was less awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Believe me it's a lot better than the alternative where they have to do emergency surgery on you while you're still awake and you can feel them wrench your ribs apart but there's no pain

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Regy Rusty posted:

Believe me it's a lot better than the alternative where they have to do emergency surgery on you while you're still awake and you can feel them wrench your ribs apart but there's no pain

Can attest to this. I was always interested in seeing what the inside of my body looked like when I was younger, but now that I've had an up close and personal view of my own kidney, I have decided that no actually I was not all that interested after all

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
You can stay awake during tooth extraction and listen to the lovely noises that happen. It's not horrifying at all.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

you never have to get anesthesia if you never go to the doctor to find out if something's wrong with you

Hell yeah!

Regy Rusty posted:

:stare:

still might be preferable

but also :stare:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

You can stay awake during tooth extraction and listen to the lovely noises that happen. It's not horrifying at all.

been there. it sounds like a tree breaking but in your head

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was falling asleep during a root canal just because the chair was comfy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

yeah i was just nitrous and novacained for my wisdom teeth smash and grab

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nina posted:

Hearing these accounts is reassuring since I'm waiting on a surgery date and anesthesia as an idea just makes me feel iffy

It's seriously like time travel. You take a few breaths once they put the mask on you and suddenly you wake up and it's done.

I had a 6-hour back surgery. Blinked after counting down from 10 and suddenly I was being wheeled out. "I feel like poo poo" I said, which was kind of inaccurate because I couldn't immediately feel any part of my body

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Hell yeah!

:stare:

still might be preferable

but also :stare:

My left lung collapsed when I was 14 and it took the ER doctors forever to figure it out because I was young and healthy and had no traumatic injury. Once they X-rayed me and found out what it was they transitioned into full Oh poo poo mode and plopped me on a table, stuck some local anesthetic in me, and carved right in to stick a tube in. It would've been funny how fast their attitudes changed if it weren't so terrifying.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm almost at the end of Resident Evil Gaiden and I don't think it was worth it but also I'm really close to being finished so I'll probably close it out this morning. The combat is actually cool and it's got a classic premise (sinking ship) but there's no puzzles and they really, tremendously hosed up by having some key items being held by zombies you have to kill, which goes against the spirit of RE IMO. Bosses are acceptable but this game doesn't have bosses that are actually any different than regular enemies.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm almost at the end of Resident Evil Gaiden and I don't think it was worth it but also I'm really close to being finished so I'll probably close it out this morning. The combat is actually cool and it's got a classic premise (sinking ship) but there's no puzzles and they really, tremendously hosed up by having some key items being held by zombies you have to kill, which goes against the spirit of RE IMO. Bosses are acceptable but this game doesn't have bosses that are actually any different than regular enemies.

Two games to go until I get to this one, I popped it in for five seconds and the opening song is sick as hell. I can’t get the embed thing to work for some reason so here is the link:

https://youtu.be/mqlRVSHMe0I

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Stealin from the fanart thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

Two games to go until I get to this one, I popped it in for five seconds and the opening song is sick as hell. I can’t get the embed thing to work for some reason so here is the link:

https://youtu.be/mqlRVSHMe0I

Well luckily during actual gameplay they loop the same song for 4 hours

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

In Training posted:

Well luckily during actual gameplay they loop the same song for 4 hours

Oh.

That kinda blows

Starting to regret hooking the game boy player to the surround system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Yeah that’s right I bought an overexpensive physical copy of Resident Evil Gaiden for Gameboy COLOR with the word “BLADE” written on the front label in ballpoint pen off of eBay

• Locked thread