Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Oh my sides.

Playing as ME arkhan the black. Haha fighting dwarves is a hoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think tomb kings might have the single worst garrisons in the game, tier 1 and 2 tomb king troops are trash and even the garrison buildings just add more bottom tier skeleton chaff.
No wonder they get raided all the time.

Speaking of garrisons, you really want to avoid any major rebellions you can't squash right away, prioritize public order because the rebellions can have top tier troops with silver chevrons, they can and will absolutely destroy anything you can field for a long time and if you manage to beat the skeleton rebels you won't even get any money for it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
As Khatep I was surprised and frustrated to learn that instead of walls on my capital I had a forest. Open field battle with a 7 poo poo rear end skeleton garrison for my capital city against a rebel stack with a hierotitan and two tomb scorpions.

Tretch does definitely kick rear end

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

tomb kings autoresolve . jpg

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it was after a pyrric victory and most of the troops had about 1/3rd health going in but still

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Settra's ME start is definitely the easiest of the four. The Warsphinx is easily the most powerful and versatile bonus unit and can effectively solo half a stack of savage orcs without breaking a sweat, especially if you grab a Necrotect as your initial hero choice for the healing. Archers and chariots can take care of the rest, and then you're established.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Don't be an idiot like me and get the 150 jar trinket found on the right side of the tech tree that gives skeleton archers a special ability.

It gives +25% AP damage if no enemies are within 70 but their base AP damage is 1. I'm sure it is fine for Ushabti with greatbows.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I really like their crafting system and I think this should be some how retroactively put in other races.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

What sorta stack setups / Dynasty's are people prioritising with Settra?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Imperishable indeed.

I'm actually finding it quite hard to deploy chariot units into significant enemy armies. The TK chariots don't feel like they have a ton of mass, so any time they run into anything sturdier than a tier 1 chaff unit(or if more than one chaff unit is stacked up) they slow down/stop dead long enough to start taking serious damage even with spam click micro, which causes them to rapidly lose models due to being incredibly fragile, which causes them to lose tons of damage output relative to the lower model count but much tougher chariots of other factions. They're very replaceable so losing them isn't an issue but I'm not feeling like I'm getting tons of performance out of them, either.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 24, 2018

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Tomb Kings units are next level trash. Fun though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Tried all 4 TK LLs, and Khatep is my favorite but drat is his start a massive pain. The Dark Elves are pretty easy to take apart, but you have to pray that the Beastmen stay up north and also it's impossible to build tall as TK. Going to drop a difficulty level until I get the hang of this faction.

Will probably roll with Tretch, next.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you are having issues with TK cav and chariots, the trick is to deploy an entire stack of them with the chariot lord next to your main King and just bum rush poo poo it loving owns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also Settra's flaming hell on wheels is basically a lawn mower made out of horses but it mows people.

Arglebargle III posted:

Haberdashery of the Old World Part 1

A classic take on the spiky hat, but a little bit uninspired. This designer looked at spiky hats and just said "more spikes". The face is a nice touch but it's completely overshadowed by the profusion of spikes here.
8/10

Understated but sends a clear message. Could use more spikes.
6/10

Eyeshadow is no replacement for a hat.
0/10

Takes the everyday Druchii style a little further with a gem and some flared spikes. Weird head not the haberdasher's fault. For the Elf who's murdering 9 to 5 but wants to look good doing it.
9/10

Not technically a hat but she wears it with confidence. Elegant take on a classic style.
A+/10

I wanted to love this hat but it just doesn't come together for me. Love the closed face mask and the spiked crest, but what's going on up top there? A bird tail pattern and and a horse tail just piled on? Also the spike thing is a little uninspired. You've got so much canvas to work with there and all you come up with is "more spikes"???
7/10

HOT drat that is a hat. These spikes go for broke but the haberdasher really knows what they're doing. The classic lines of the antler crest blend perfectly with the innovative serpent design. Practical hair access in the back makes this a must-have item for the fall season in Naggaroth.
10/10

Please create a repository for these.

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 24, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Finished an Arkhan campaign in the Vortex on normal, the final battle is a loving ride and just like with the Norscan DLC campaign you get mission complete bonuses in case you want to keep the fun times going and hunt down the rest of the books or something. Can't say I'm a big fun of undead armies in general, and while I do want to dabble in a Khalida ME run I also really kinda want to try taking another faction on a long distance expedition with a solo army and seeing how long they last.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Finished an Arkhan campaign in the Vortex on normal, the final battle is a loving ride and just like with the Norscan DLC campaign you get mission complete bonuses in case you want to keep the fun times going and hunt down the rest of the books or something. Can't say I'm a big fun of undead armies in general, and while I do want to dabble in a Khalida ME run I also really kinda want to try taking another faction on a long distance expedition with a solo army and seeing how long they last.

I've just about secured the desert as Settra once the wizard caliphs palace is smashed, looking forward to sending armies of chariots and poo poo off to far flung reaches without support with the knowledge that should they die, they will simply live again (at no cost to me).

W: or should it be if they un-die, double die? They will be dead again shortly... but at home.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

settras chariot is nice but arkhans hovers

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Haha in my co-op skelly campaign the rebels south of Settra have 3 Heirotitans. I guess I will try mobbing them with halberds?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Space Skeleton posted:

Haha in my co-op skelly campaign the rebels south of Settra have 3 Heirotitans. I guess I will try mobbing them with halberds?

Send snake men after them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I sorta feel like tomb kings could use a little buff in places, like some earlier access to the tier 3+ troops that tie the skeleton chaff armies together, better garrisons, skeleton warriors and spearmen buffed a tiny bit statwise to be on par with the mindless vampire skeletons.

Realm of souls also feels very underwhelming, the one unit of ushabti you get degenerate so fast I've consistently seen enemy archers outlast them in melee as they lose 60 hp a second from the unbinding, it would be nice if you got another ushabti summon and healing wave every 500 deaths after the first.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don't spawn them miles from the line. They're great as a free rear charge into enemy elite infantry to break them. You've got loads of chariots and horses to kill the archers.

E: my main issue is a unit or ushabti is going to be great in small games, but much less useful in large ones where other armies can take advantage of their buffs and stuff more consistently.

The heal seems poo poo though I agree. However after a rough start the campaign suddenly becomes easy and you just send out your angry skeletal minions willy nilly. They'll probably struggle in MP until someone works out the tricks since their buffs and synergy seems pretty awful considering the crappy base troops that are really hard to pump up.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 24, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Those snake knights are legit as gently caress. Holy poo poo, they just annihilate entire units of infantry in lightning fast metal snake head banging and charges.

Rolling them into wood elves is like watching a tidal wave of blood surge up from the ground in front of the snakes too. Poor guys didn't even know what to do but retreat straight into a bunch of the snakes from all the damage they took.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 24, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Holy poo poo Khalida's ME start is horrific. Definitely not going to put myself through that.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm cautious of balance takes on just-released factions as it reminds me of the wood elves where an already strong faction got buffed further because people were doing it wrong

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Chad Jihad posted:

I'm cautious of balance takes on just-released factions as it reminds me of the wood elves where an already strong faction got buffed further because people were doing it wrong

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's because I'm playing on normal, but I'm having no problems in my Khalida Vortex campaign. My allies and I have secured almost all of Lustria, so at this point I can begin hell marching across the globe collecting books. My skeletons suck, sure, but they can hold out against other infantry long enough for my heavy hitters to start rolling everything, and Khalida's lord buffs have made my skeleton archers into machine guns.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I really like that the buildings that allow recruitment of sphinxes and hierotitans aren't buildings as such but rather the statue itself being unearthed and animated

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

The ustabi summon is pretty weak. I've used it to decent effect helping pin down a VC lord that khalida couldn't catch, but they were eating poo poo pretty hard.

Also, what's up with the stalkers/snake cavalry? They're slow as poo poo and they get mobbed by crypt ghouls and die pretty quickly. How do I use em right? The stalkers feel super weird because they have a short range, limited ammunition and can't outrun fast infantry.

For context this was khalida ME with two warriors, archers, skellies and her starting units capping at around 15 slots total and facing down a full stack of mostly ghouls, some bats and like 3 zombies.

wearing a lampshade fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 24, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In a world where dark shards exist it's going to be hard to argue that tomb kings don't need some kind of buff in MP. You can't get free reinforcement inside a battle.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Tried a Khatep legendary campaign, sort of stabilized at 3 provinces(after losing my home to beastmen) until Malekith, Tretch, Mazdamundi and a beastmen horde that spawned behind my lines all declared war on me, breaking two non-aggression pacts in the process(I guess I could expect this from Tretch but what the gently caress you loving traitorous frog???).

I think I'll have to drop the difficulty down to Very Hard.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Anybody bumrush a very easy Tomb Kings campaign yet? The fight being easy as hell aside, the production of the final Vortex fight was neat, with the Horned Rat yelling at you from a skybox. Curious if Nagash shows up to do the same or if you just take the pyramid and the game gives you a variation of "CONGRATURATION! YOU ARE WINNER!"

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Aurubin posted:

Anybody bumrush a very easy Tomb Kings campaign yet? The fight being easy as hell aside, the production of the final Vortex fight was neat, with the Horned Rat yelling at you from a skybox. Curious if Nagash shows up to do the same or if you just take the pyramid and the game gives you a variation of "CONGRATURATION! YOU ARE WINNER!"

He doesn’t, at least in the non-Arkhan version. It’s a much better fight however, a 3 on 5 mashup on a good map with a nasty rear end army comp for Arkhan, rather than the drip feed of fights the final Vortex fight is.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I really like several elements of Tomb Kings in campaign. Having recruitment and upkeep be 'free' encourages you to keep recruiting nonstop if possible. The tech tree is neat and you get a whole intermediate layer of units between Lords/units and Legendary Lords/RoR in the form of Mortuary Cult. It also means in theory sailing around with a full stack looking for sea treasure isn't as much of an upkeep sink as it is for other factions.

You can hide under the sand giving your whole army vanguard as a pseudo-ambush stance. In fact Tomb Kings seem well suited to 'lying in ambush to bait treasure hunters into attacking weak settlements' since they also get a provincial order that improves ambush chance.

But I agree their early game is pretty hard. Your basic units are free, but you pretty much get what you pay for. And unlike Vampire Counts, you can't quickly build up a lot of units in a single turn, so even though it costs you nothing it takes quite a while to restore an army.

One thing they might want to consider is to give basic skeletons really high base replenishment so when recruiting you can focus on more elite units. This also makes their weak skeletons that much more expendable by allowing you to easily bring them back up to max strength quicker.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Was playing Vortex Settra, and I conquered the dwarfs to the south of me, but they escaped with one Lord and no army. After hanging out raiding the humans for a while, they suddenly start recruiting and amass a 20 stack of warriors and quarrelers over the course of like 3 turns. I rush to try to stop them, but they take a village of mine and have a SECOND full stack up and running almost immediately after. This is all happening while Settra is on the other side of the continent chasing a Book of Nagash, so I'm trying to throw together a new army in time to stop the beard tide rolling over me. By the time I get them stomped out, they conquered two towns, razed a third and sacked a fourth. I don't know why they were able to recruit units with no towns or buildings, but it's utter bullshit.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Holy poo poo Khalida's ME start is horrific. Definitely not going to put myself through that.

This was the first campaign I tried and restarted it about 5 times trying to figure out what to do. It's just hard, it seems like you have to sue for peace with Lahmia (which is the most un-Khalida thing possible) until you get a second army so you're strong enough to take them. The garrison and their army is just too much for 1 lovely early game TK stack, and they love to builld Crypt Ghouls which really just shred your skellies early game.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm partial to "Begettar of the Begat"

I laughed out loud when I read that last night.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

This was the first campaign I tried and restarted it about 5 times trying to figure out what to do. It's just hard, it seems like you have to sue for peace with Lahmia (which is the most un-Khalida thing possible) until you get a second army so you're strong enough to take them. The garrison and their army is just too much for 1 lovely early game TK stack, and they love to builld Crypt Ghouls which really just shred your skellies early game.

In my second attempt after the first was ruined by a rebel army loving me up I just blitzed up to Lahmia before it could get a better garrison and laid siege to it. Their army just had like a bunch of crypt ghouls as their best units which were still pretty tough for the lovely skeletons but Khalida is a beast and I had a shadow priest as well. Managed to have the whole initial province by like turn 11.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

I laughed out loud when I read that last night.

Settra, Who Fucks

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ok, so, TK RoRs don't look like they have a unit cap. I recruited the dual-sword Tomb Guard and 10 turns later, it looks like I can recruit another one. I don't know if that applies to the Mortuary Cult LoL units though goddamn if they do that's hilarious.

e: It doesn't look like it does for the LoLs or some of the RoRs, but the dual-sword TG look repeatably recruitable.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 24, 2018

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

In my second attempt after the first was ruined by a rebel army loving me up I just blitzed up to Lahmia before it could get a better garrison and laid siege to it. Their army just had like a bunch of crypt ghouls as their best units which were still pretty tough for the lovely skeletons but Khalida is a beast and I had a shadow priest as well. Managed to have the whole initial province by like turn 11.

I did the same. Khalida needs to rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Ravenfood posted:

Ok, so, TK RoRs don't look like they have a unit cap. I recruited the dual-sword Tomb Guard and 10 turns later, it looks like I can recruit another one. I don't know if that applies to the Mortuary Cult LoL units though goddamn if they do that's hilarious.

e: It doesn't look like it does for the LoLs or some of the RoRs, but the dual-sword TG look repeatably recruitable.

That’s just a bug that applies to that unit only.