Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ryonguy posted:

Ever heard of planned obsolescence? There's a reason things have $50 worth of buttons and IoT connectivity and not $5 worth of more durable parts.

No, that's more of the "if I put $50 of useless garbage on this garbage can, I can charge $500 more over a normal garbage can".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
The Trashero Smart Garbage System automatically re-orders bags when you are running low, can tell if your bags have expired or been recalled, and can tell you to get in the Trashero yourself for purchasing one

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

fishmech posted:

No, that's more of the "if I put $50 of useless garbage on this garbage can, I can charge $500 more over a normal garbage can".

Hey I know your thing is "my post must be contrarian at all cost" but that wasn't the point I was making. Like, at all.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

If rail required two people to sit in each car, they definitely would have automated it. One guy up front is a much smaller cost and they can also cheap out on signalling infrastructure improvements.

Which they don't because we have the premier rail freight network in the world. Nobody does it better.

/derail.

DrNutt posted:

I saw an Amazon ad for a neat leaking keyboard on Facebook the other day, it looked like some nifty retro future thing, almost like old typewriter keys, and I was like, neat, I'll check it out. I clicked the link and the motherfucking thing was 1000 dollars. Who spends 1000 dollars on a keyboard?

I'm ashamed to say that if you take my home rig into account and now the fact that I outfitted both my office computers with mechanicals...I have spent over 1000 bucks on keyboards. :(

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Which they don't because we have the premier rail freight network in the world. Nobody does it better.

/derail.

I'm ashamed to say that if you take my home rig into account and now the fact that I outfitted both my office computers with mechanicals...I have spent over 1000 bucks on keyboards. :(

You are probably terrible but I take solace in the fact that you did not spend 1000 dollars on a single keyboard.

I have a overpriced logitech gaming series mechanical that I love but it was a Christmas gift from my dad from years ago and I shudder at the thought of ever having to replace it with anything comparable myself.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Let me introduce you into the world of mechanical keyboards, where if you don't have a loudass keyboard then you are scum

Also they cost tons of money.

Makes no sense to me as I like shitposting quietly without my neighbours hearing

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Someone brought a mechanical keyboard into a workplace I used to a work at. gently caress that guy

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Someone brought a mechanical keyboard into a workplace I used to a work at. gently caress that guy

Actually, that guy is a goon hero.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I use a putty gray and pebble Model M.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Magius1337est posted:

A good video on how only middle income malls are dying and upscale malls are thriving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0PyzrTze2U

kinda reinforces the point of amazon taking away all the low and middle tier income items you'd find at JCP or Sears and doing it way better

malls are going to have to attract higher end premium items to stay relevant, more neiman marcus and such

Do upscale malls have a problem with less affluent people congregating there making it less attractive for the premium shopper? Is there any data of mall management companies supporting an accessible mall to draw economy minded people away from the upscale malls towards stores more in line with their budget?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Magius1337est posted:

A good video on how only middle income malls are dying and upscale malls are thriving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0PyzrTze2U

kinda reinforces the point of amazon taking away all the low and middle tier income items you'd find at JCP or Sears and doing it way better

malls are going to have to attract higher end premium items to stay relevant, more neiman marcus and such

Malls are only going in this direction because Amazon hasn't figured out how to do it yet, but they are getting closer.

As far as mechanical keyboards, they're a waste of money and generally horrible to actually type on, and not because of the noise.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Even odds on him being the guy who keeps burning popcorn and microwaving fish, too.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

dont even fink about it posted:

Malls are only going in this direction because Amazon hasn't figured out how to do it yet, but they are getting closer.

As far as mechanical keyboards, they're a waste of money and generally horrible to actually type on, and not because of the noise.

Look at this bad opinion haver. Model Ms are good to type on, as are some (but not all) of the cherry style switches. Topre are nice but way overpriced.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I saw an Amazon ad for a neat leaking keyboard on Facebook the other day, it looked like some nifty retro future thing, almost like old typewriter keys, and I was like, neat, I'll check it out. I clicked the link and the motherfucking thing was 1000 dollars. Who spends 1000 dollars on a keyboard?

Companies either go for cheap consumer grade trash or luxury.

There doesn't seem to be a space for "quality made products". Everything has to be cheap as gently caress or overly expensive.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Xae posted:

Companies either go for cheap consumer grade trash or luxury.

There doesn't seem to be a space for "quality made products". Everything has to be cheap as gently caress or overly expensive.

Or quality made but used. I pick up a lot of furniture and housewares secondhand. There's a reason goodwill/salvo/et al are getting too expensive for the people they ostensibly service.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
A reminder that Goodwill serves their employees, not the people shopping there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ryonguy posted:

Hey I know your thing is "my post must be contrarian at all cost" but that wasn't the point I was making. Like, at all.

Yes, I understood that you were making an incorrect point. That is why I posted the real reason things are happening.

Shrieking about "planned obsolescence" is the refuge of the ignorant. Just look at how, say, Apple had to go back and update their old phones just to gently caress with them to try to make people upgrade - they clearly hadn't planned it properly. Or rather, there's not really a way to do it usually. It's very hard to engineer something to break in 2 years that won't make it break a ton more than it does now the first two weeks the customer have it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

fishmech posted:

It's very hard to engineer something to break in 2 years that won't make it break a ton more than it does now the first two weeks the customer have it.

True, but it's quite easy to engineer something for which patches, updates and technical support will be discontinued when it's still perfectly functional in order to make people buy The Next Big Thing™, if only out of frustration. Much more than two years, but Microsoft is doing everything short of holding a dagger to my throat to get me to upgrade to Windows 10 when I'm still very happy with 7. I don't expect them to support Win7 forever, but I'd rather that they not choke me until I overpay for 10 for want of oxygen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Software / OS is a little different from hardware because physical hardware can last -- a washing machine is a washing machine, a LED light bulb should last practically forever -- but an OS is going to need constant updating regardless just for security reasons.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

True, but it's quite easy to engineer something for which patches, updates and technical support will be discontinued when it's still perfectly functional in order to make people buy The Next Big Thing™, if only out of frustration. Much more than two years, but Microsoft is doing everything short of holding a dagger to my throat to get me to upgrade to Windows 10 when I'm still very happy with 7. I don't expect them to support Win7 forever, but I'd rather that they not choke me until I overpay for 10 for want of oxygen.

Windows 7 is nearly a decade old and will still be supported for 2 more years and they gave away Windows 10 for free. What more do you want man?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Toys R Us closing another 180 stores in the US
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-toys-r-us-says-to-shut-about-180-us-stores-2018-1

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

dont even fink about it posted:

Luxury stuff tends to be more stringent about tightly-controlled shopping experiences and exclusives, but direct-to-consumer sales might be able to dent it anyway.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

This drive toward everything being a boutique experience for the privileged few is happening almost everywhere, isn't it?
It's almost like wealth is being rapidly stolen by the upper classes or something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustJeff88 posted:

Windows 7 is fully supported on your computer and the upgrade offer you could do for free is still, unadvertised, running to this day. And on the day Windows 7 normal user support ends (not even business support really, because business can contract for patches as long as they want if they're willing to pay) it'll be almost exactly 10 and a half years since it had been released.

If you wanted and had some cool stack of cash to toss around on it, you could walk up to Microsoft and demand a complete set of patches for like Windows 95, and they would put at your disposal any patches they'd been contracted to do with the companies who wanted it in the patch. But at some point there's just not things to be patched anymore because the world's moved on.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Software / OS is a little different from hardware because physical hardware can last -- a washing machine is a washing machine, a LED light bulb should last practically forever -- but an OS is going to need constant updating regardless just for security reasons.

Remember when we all used to need to change lightbulbs multiple times a year? Glad that's over with.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Remember when we all used to need to change lightbulbs multiple times a year? Glad that's over with.

LED lights are a godsend.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Yes, I understood that you were making an incorrect point. That is why I posted the real reason things are happening.

Shrieking about "planned obsolescence" is the refuge of the ignorant. Just look at how, say, Apple had to go back and update their old phones just to gently caress with them to try to make people upgrade - they clearly hadn't planned it properly. Or rather, there's not really a way to do it usually. It's very hard to engineer something to break in 2 years that won't make it break a ton more than it does now the first two weeks the customer have it.

you could be Apple and start throttling the hell out of performance before you tell the consumer about it

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Now you just have to dust your lightbulbs

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Windows 7 is fully supported on your computer and the upgrade offer you could do for free is still, unadvertised, running to this day. And on the day Windows 7 normal user support ends (not even business support really, because business can contract for patches as long as they want if they're willing to pay) it'll be almost exactly 10 and a half years since it had been released.

If you wanted and had some cool stack of cash to toss around on it, you could walk up to Microsoft and demand a complete set of patches for like Windows 95, and they would put at your disposal any patches they'd been contracted to do with the companies the US government who wanted it in the patch. But at some point there's just not things to be patched anymore because the world's moved on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

exploded mummy posted:

you could be Apple and start throttling the hell out of performance before you tell the consumer about it

This is so stupid. They were taking measures to prolong the effective life of the device, not trying to motivate people to upgrade by slowing down the phone. They obviously would have been better to be transparent about what they were doing to avoid the appearance of anything dodgy, but I don't think they actually did anything wrong. I'd rather a slow phone than one that can handle approximately 30 seconds of being in my pocket in winter, or one that has twenty minutes of battery life on a full charge like one of my old Android devices did toward the end of its life -- that phone got replaced as soon as practicable, so obviously if Apple wanted to motivate upgrades, they'd just let phones operate at full power until they're all but unusable.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

I'd rather a slow phone than one that can handle approximately 30 seconds of being in my pocket in winter, or one that has twenty minutes of battery life on a full charge like one of my old Android devices did toward the end of its life -- that phone got replaced as soon as practicable, so obviously if Apple wanted to motivate upgrades, they'd just let phones operate at full power until they're all but unusable.

I'd rather have a world where phones have replaceable batteries if they are going to die after 2 years. And no, I shouldn't have to take it to an official apple store to replace a battery in a phone. This was figured out decades ago, at this point they just use "but people want thinner/lighter devices!" as an excuse to pursue anti-consumer "features" like not being able to add ram to a laptop.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Asimo posted:

It's almost like wealth is being rapidly stolen by the upper classes or something.
Sounds like class warfare to me! Can't we find Smart Solutions that preserve a thriving middle class and allow income inequality to rocket into the stratosphere?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

fishmech posted:

It doesn't mean "engineer" it to break like a mustache twirling villain huddled over a CAD terminal wringing his hands and chortling as he purposefully inserts fracture points into components, it means use substandard materials and parts that will break easier and also be cheaper, which is the point I was making that you missed because, again, contrarian jackass.

there wolf posted:

fishmech posted:

[contradicts self]

lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

self unaware posted:

I'd rather have a world where phones have replaceable batteries if they are going to die after 2 years. And no, I shouldn't have to take it to an official apple store to replace a battery in a phone. This was figured out decades ago, at this point they just use "but people want thinner/lighter devices!" as an excuse to pursue anti-consumer "features" like not being able to add ram to a laptop.

You can do all those things yourself, they just aren't particularly easy.

And, yes, frankly more people want thinner and lighter devices than the ability to easily work on their devices themselves. If you don't like it, don't buy one of those devices, but don't blame companies for following what the market wants.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Walked past one of the UKs flagship toys r us today. Sale signs everywhere, no customers because the British are really funny about warranties (30 days automatic by law). RIP.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PT6A posted:

And, yes, frankly more people want thinner and lighter devices than the ability to easily work on their devices themselves. If you don't like it, don't buy one of those devices, but don't blame companies for following what the market wants.

The point is that "thinner, lighter" does not have to be mutually exclusive with "easy to swap battery out" but they'd rather sell someone the new iPhone than let them buy a replacement battery and have their old one keep on trucking.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

exploded mummy posted:

That's kind of the opposite of planned obsolescence. They built the product so that it needed outside intervention to damage the experience to try to drive battery replacements and full phone upgrades. They needed to patch obsolescence in later, unplanned.

ryonguy posted:

It doesn't mean "engineer" it to break like a mustache twirling villain huddled over a CAD terminal wringing his hands and chortling as he purposefully inserts fracture points into components, it means use substandard materials and parts that will break easier and also be cheaper, which is the point I was making that you missed because, again, contrarian jackass.

And they don't do this, brain genius. Because if you use the substandard parts the thing actually breaks way too quickly. You add the bluetooth bullshit that 90% of your customers will never figure out because you can charge the cost of that times 5 as the extra price over a comparable product, not to "make the parts break easier".

If you're so invested in conspiracy theories why don't you just start telling us about how the earth is flat, it would make slightly more sense.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

self unaware posted:

This was figured out decades ago, at this point they just use "but people want thinner/lighter devices!" as an excuse to pursue anti-consumer "features" like not being able to add ram to a laptop.
Pfft. Apple's whole schtick since they got off their deathbed with the iMac years ago has been less user serviceability and more aggressive obsolescence. The only thing Apple "figured out" re: anti-consumer "features" is that their customers will take it every time.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Oh, don't worry, I don't buy their poo poo devices. But if you don't think forcing customers to use the apple store to service their devices wasn't a business decision designed to drive revenue I've got some waterfront real estate to sell you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

self unaware posted:

Oh, don't worry, I don't buy their poo poo devices. But if you don't think forcing customers to use the apple store to service their devices wasn't a business decision designed to drive revenue I've got some waterfront real estate to sell you.

They aren't "forcing" this. You can work on them yourself, you can take them to an apple store, you can take them to an authorized tech, or you can take them to an unauthorized tech.

What the hell are you even talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

They aren't "forcing" this. You can work on them yourself, you can take them to an apple store, you can take them to an authorized tech, or you can take them to an unauthorized tech.

What the hell are you even talking about?

I'm talking about Apple trying to drive revenue in their apple stores by making repairs as difficult as possible and doing things like soldering ram to the motherboards of of their laptops

Like, you're right, most people don't care and thusly will gladly purchase these devices not understanding that repair costs go way up as a result of the design decisions they've made. It's still lovely.