Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
My guess is somewhere around 90. MH4U was high 80s I think, so these games are capable of getting good reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If I get a monster to fall asleep and stack a bunch of large bombs on its face, then detonate those bombs with a small bomb at a distance, will the monster take wake up damage from all the large bombs or just one? I never got a good look at the numbers.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't know about World, but in older games it'd be just the one. Also you can detonate them by throwing a rock or paintball at them, just to make sure you won't hit the monster with the small bomb.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's still just the first bomb that hits the monster. You are also better off using s rock to detonate the big barrel, the small barrel is likely to hit the monster first and wake it up.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Didn't really seem to be sleep bonus damage in the betas

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So if I was using a weapon with the sleep element, is it more advisable to use one large bomb (detonated with a rock) each time the target falls asleep instead of blowing my load early? Still going full fireworks on the monster when they head back to the nest for a nap, or course.

e: I mean, I feel like I know the answers already but I'm just filling time until Friday. More videos should be posted here to get me through the work days.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
No, bring materials to make more bombs and sleep it as often as possible then bomb it's face off

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

LawfulWaffle posted:

If I get a monster to fall asleep and stack a bunch of large bombs on its face, then detonate those bombs with a small bomb at a distance, will the monster take wake up damage from all the large bombs or just one? I never got a good look at the numbers.

Judging by the amount of arseholes in the beta just running in and swinging at sleeping monsters ahead of the party, it's any amount of damage.

Also, framerate purists - stay your hopes, as a poster on reddit got the game early and said there's no improvement over the beta at all, and still has bloodborne-style irregular pacing. It's not a big deal for Pro users but those on base PS4 systems may be let down if they were expecting any improvement. Those on base Xbox One should expect the worst since it's even weaker than the PS4.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Sleep bonus is definitely still in. You only get the bonus on one hit though. So if your group puts down 8 bombs, only one will be double.

If you're putting down a SBB you have to make sure that it is far enough from the monster not to hit it or else that will get the bonus instead of the LBB. Saw a lot of people making that mistake in the beta.

But the best way to detonate bombs will always be a fully charged GS :black101:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tamba posted:

But it only got 39/40 from Famitsu

ugh lame preorder cancelled, gently caress u capcom

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Sleep bonus is definitely still in. You only get the bonus on one hit though. So if your group puts down 8 bombs, only one will be double.

If you're putting down a SBB you have to make sure that it is far enough from the monster not to hit it or else that will get the bonus instead of the LBB. Saw a lot of people making that mistake in the beta.

But the best way to detonate bombs will always be a fully charged GS :black101:

Sleep bombing will be even easier with SnS than before, since you can now detonate bombs with your slinger.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The MHWorld online instruction manual is up. http://game.capcom.com/manual/MHW/en/ps4

There's a lot of interesting tidbits we didn't know about before, and some useful little things. This one stuck out to me on squads;

- You will automatically be removed from any squads that you have not set to active within 30 consecutive days, or if you have not played the game within 30 consecutive days. This excludes squads you are the leader of.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

- You will not be able to change fundamental appearance, voice, or name after character creation.
- You can still change your hair, eyebrow color, facial hair, makeup and face paint, and clothing from the item box in your room.

Your Palico:
- You will not be able to change fundamental appearance, voice, or name after character creation.

Your Name:
- Your name can be up to 16 half-width characters. Depending on the characters you use, the total number of characters possible may vary.
- Certain special characters cannot be used when inputting a name.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The MHWorld online instruction manual is up. http://game.capcom.com/manual/MHW/en/ps4

There's a lot of interesting tidbits we didn't know about before, and some useful little things. This one stuck out to me on squads;

- You will automatically be removed from any squads that you have not set to active within 30 consecutive days, or if you have not played the game within 30 consecutive days. This excludes squads you are the leader of.

Well that's dumb. Guess it's another way to get players to log in every now and then. Along with rotating DLC and those daily bonuses, which the said was just potions and such.

Squads will be a revolving door in a couple of months when the player base dies down.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The manual also confirms that there is no transmog, but armor can be dyed different colors with pigments. There's also 'layered armor' which are special cosmetic armor appearances you can select at the home hub.

quote:

Well that's dumb. Guess it's another way to get players to log in every now and then. Along with rotating DLC and those daily bonuses, which the said was just potions and such.

It's really not, I specifically pointed it out as a former Destiny 2 player, that game was plagued by a serious problem where goons were spread out across literally dozens of clans because of the 100 player limit, yet they would log in and only see 1 or 2 other goons online. Having automatic kicks and several squad members at the same time handily resolves the issue. If you're not online for 30 days you're likely never coming back anyway.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 24, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does "set to active" here mean that you've logged in, or that you can be a member of multiple squads and can change which one is your "active" squad? That probably determines how much squads are going to just bleed members as the initial activity rush dies down.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

No big appearance changing after character creation still.

quote:

Your Player Character:
- Certain armor may look different for each gender.
- Certain armor can only be equipped by one gender.
- Armor appearances may change according to gender, but there are no gender-based differences in stats and abilities.
- You can still change your hair, eyebrow color, facial hair, makeup and face paint, and clothing from the item box in your room.

Your Palico:

Your Name:
- Your name can be up to 16 half-width characters. Depending on the characters you use, the total number of characters possible may vary.
- Certain special characters cannot be used when inputting a name.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is getting all the mats for the ranged weapon's ammo as big of a pain in the rear end as everyone makes it out to be?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Interesting. Wonder if it's a minor thing or a major one. Demon's Souls had gender-specific armor and it was pretty ballsy, one of the best sets in the game was female-only.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fadam posted:

Is getting all the mats for the ranged weapon's ammo as big of a pain in the rear end as everyone makes it out to be?

Really depends. In some games it absolutely has been. In others the farm makes it... not as big a pain in the rear end I guess/

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Interesting. Wonder if it's a minor thing or a major one. Demon's Souls had gender-specific armor and it was pretty ballsy, one of the best sets in the game was female-only.

They do this in every Monster Hunter. Usually its the fairly weak sets that let you dress up like certain NPCs (Guild girl etc) or weird DLC poo poo like a High School uniform.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's been gender specific stuff before. Like letting women dress up as the quest desk ladies or whatever. It's not really a big thing.

fadam posted:

:iiam: I feel like you could buy or farm drat near everything in recent games.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The manual says little monsters captured in your wristnet can be placed in your room. Oh boy if my housekeeper didn't like finding a chest full of dung in my room already he/she/it's really gonna hate this.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

How much am I going to hate myself if I try to gear up to play as one weapon when I’m on my own and another when I play with my friends?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Emron posted:

How much am I going to hate myself if I try to gear up to play as one weapon when I’m on my own and another when I play with my friends?

It depends on which two weapons you're talking about? Most Blademaster weapons want essentially the same skills so armor sets that work for one usually work for any other unless you want some bespoke esoteric set that takes advantage of something only some weapon do.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Emron posted:

Shouldn't be difficult. I'm planning on hunting horn in groups and HBG alone.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're worried about downgrading to play with friends, your weapon will have a greater impact on that than armor, unless you want to just eat more damage in solidarity.

If you're worried about sets being too focused, like if evade lancing becomes a big deal and people stack huge amounts of evade+ on a gear set just to lance in, that's the kind of thing that only really becomes a big deal in end-game. I don't recall, but is there even a way to throw away old gear? I guess you can sell it for box space but I always just kept everything no matter what.

E: You can lose gear by using it in upgrades, in older games there were always two classes of weapons (metal and bone) and the crafting paths branch out from there often using a weapon from the previous tier to save on some crafting materials, but you're going to end up with so many LR weapons of all types floating around your box there should always be something to grab that won't totally overwhelm your friends in a party.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Emron posted:

Depends. If you haven't touched the second weapon in 50 hours you will probably need a hunt or 2 to get back into it. If you are swapping back and forth often you will be fine. Just keep both up to date.

If the second weapon is hunting horn the worst you have be is still very useful, just try not to die.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Zore posted:

It depends on which two weapons you're talking about? Most Blademaster weapons want essentially the same skills so armor sets that work for one usually work for any other unless you want some bespoke esoteric set that takes advantage of something only some weapon do.

I want to do Switch Axe without friends, HH with (they’re new and not sold on the series so buffing them seems like a smart play)

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I think people are overemphasizing the idea of a "main weapon." It's really not that hard to build lots of different weapons and you aren't gimping yourself by doing it. Experiment with different things.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Armor-Piercing posted:

No big appearance changing after character creation still.

Lame there is 0 reason not to let you change everything

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Terrific Accident posted:

I think people are overemphasizing the idea of a "main weapon." It's really not that hard to build lots of different weapons and you aren't gimping yourself by doing it. Experiment with different things.

I’m mostly concerned with skill slotting stuff later on, but to be honest it’s still hunting monsters and therefore is still fun

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Emron posted:

I’m mostly concerned with skill slotting stuff later on, but to be honest it’s still hunting monsters and therefore is still fun

Stick with tried but true generic skills like 'attack up that work for everything.

You need a special 'evade' build for some styles and if you get real crazy you can have a 'fire up' armor but I never bother making those side case ones.

If I want an element for a particular monster I'll craft it on some dual blades, :getin: simpler and more effective then and whole armor set and an elemental other weapon (usually)

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Stick with tried but true generic skills like 'attack up that work for everything.

You need a special 'evade' build for some styles and if you get real crazy you can have a 'fire up' armor but I never bother making those side case ones.

If I want an element for a particular monster I'll craft it on some dual blades, :getin: simpler and more effective then and whole armor set and an elemental other weapon (usually)

The specific example I’m thinking of is a build I did in 4U with the self sharpening Seregios GS, earplugs, evade up, ATK up, etc. most of those skills are pretty generically useful though, I hadn’t thought about that!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Digirat posted:

Lame there is 0 reason not to let you change everything

Agreed. It might be something they put behind a for-cash item, like in FFXIV.

Still, now that I know things can't be changed I'm going to need at least an hour to agonize over my hunter and palico.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Emron posted:

The specific example I’m thinking of is a build I did in 4U with the self sharpening Seregios GS, earplugs, evade up, ATK up, etc. most of those skills are pretty generically useful though, I hadn’t thought about that!

I mean. You don't have to break thresholds anymore on equipment skills so it's easier to make whatever build you want.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

I mean. You don't have to break thresholds anymore on equipment skills so it's easier to make whatever build you want.

This is easily my favorite QoL change in the entire game.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
One bit of advice for character creation is that its sometimes difficult to tell exactly how the voices are going to sound for your hunter while actually playing the game. So while one voice option might sound hilarious in the creator its possible that every time you dodge roll they make the most annoying sound and it will really grate on your nerves over time. Don't be afraid to redo your character early if you don't like something about it!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Emron posted:

It's quite easy. Making armor tends to be pretty easy on mats for most the game. It isn't until the end for really specialized armor that it starts requiring the single % drops like rubies for every piece in a set.

Yet another reason some people just clown suit but we'll have to see how full set bonuses play out.

Oh I just saw your follow up post example. Yeah I really wouldn't worry - mantles and the new skill level system with more levels than before should ease all of that.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 24, 2018

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

WHAT

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Emron posted:

WHAT

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

you didnt pay attention?