Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You had to go into change equipment in the beta and mess around in there to see the changes. There are quite a few like having Attack Up spread out over more levels than before and armor/charms rank you up automatically to the next level. Like you could wear the mount master belt and speed eating hat the entire game if you wanted.

They had to do this, the old system was poo poo and "use the skill tool" was getting real annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Emron posted:

WHAT

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

It was in the beta, each skill present on an armor was one level, so equipping three pieces of armor with critical eye gave you level 3 critical eye. It is a big improvement. You may have noticed everyone was wearing some ingot armor on nergi runs because several pieces had defense stat.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I didn’t get to play the beta, so I missed all that stuff.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Get down to clown

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Xbox Goons - add me (GT is Shiny Pidgey) and send me a quick message for an invite to the in-game goon squad for xbox.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Emron posted:

Lucky you, it's been impossible waiting for the drat game to come out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dunno about you guys but I am excited to hunt some monsters tomorrow night.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Emron posted:

WHAT

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

Armor Skills
Armor may also carry special properties known as "skills," which have a multitude of effects, from reducing your stamina consumption to increasing your attack power.

A skill may have multiple levels, and will increase in effectiveness as its level increases. A skill's level is calculated by the total level of skills on each piece of equipped armor.

Set Bonus Skills
"Set bonus skills" are special skills that can only be activated by equipping enough pieces of the armor set that carries it.

If, for example, a set bonus skill needs four pieces of equipment, it won't activate if you only have three pieces equipped. Though the requirements are somewhat strict, set bonus skills are usually very unique and beneficial.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's one of those systems it's not too hard to look back on and say, "yeah to hell with that."

I'm trying to rope a group of friends in, and I can't imagine trying to talk them up one, "You need to hit HP+ 10 before you earn HP+ 1, which gives you 20 extra HP."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZos95x3xUk

Giant Bomb is doing a stream of their review copy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
When signed into PlayStation™Network, you'll receive an in-game login bonus consisting of a bonus item and a lucky voucher! They're sure to give you a boost for a new day of hunting.
You can claim your login bonus by pressing Button when the login bonus notification shows up on your screen. You can also claim your login bonus from the Notice Board in the Gathering Hub. The Notice Board also allows you to review the details of your login bonuses at any time.
Lucky vouchers can be used when posting a quest to add bonus rewards upon its completion. Note that you can only carry up to five lucky vouchers at a time.
Login Bonus Update Time
The login bonus is updated at the same time every day, 7 p.m. coordinated universal time (UTC), or 4 a.m. Japan Standard Time (UTC+9).

Reset translates to 2PM Eastern Real Time for reference.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Saint Freak posted:

When signed into PlayStation™Network, you'll receive an in-game login bonus consisting of a bonus item and a lucky voucher! They're sure to give you a boost for a new day of hunting.
You can claim your login bonus by pressing Button when the login bonus notification shows up on your screen. You can also claim your login bonus from the Notice Board in the Gathering Hub. The Notice Board also allows you to review the details of your login bonuses at any time.
Lucky vouchers can be used when posting a quest to add bonus rewards upon its completion. Note that you can only carry up to five lucky vouchers at a time.
Login Bonus Update Time
The login bonus is updated at the same time every day, 7 p.m. coordinated universal time (UTC), or 4 a.m. Japan Standard Time (UTC+9).

Reset translates to 2PM Eastern Real Time for reference.

Also important to note is that login bonuses stack for up to 5 days, so if you can't play every day because of work or school, you'll be fine logging in during the weekends and cashing them in all at once.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Alright, we’ve gotten 85 responses about weapon usage from the goon weapon poll, let’s see some statistics! (note: new votes come in as I’m writing this, so if some numbers seem like they don’t add up perfectly, this is probably why. I doubt that the incoming votes will be impactful enough to alter my analyses, but I’ll keep my eye on them just in case))

First Favorite Weapon

Charge Blade takes the pick as fan favorite, with a whopping 14 votes! Okay, it’s not particularly a landslide victory - Switch Axe is in second place with 10 votes. Interestingly, Great Sword and Long Sword are both tied for third with 7 votes each. Neither weapon scored particularly well in other categories, maybe this is because they have a small, dedicated fan base? Not Gun Lance, though - which has a measly 2 votes for favorite, coming in dead last.

Second Favorite Weapon

This is a much more even fighting ground! Hunting Horn takes the pick for second favorite weapon, with 16 votes! This is interesting, because Hunting Horn only got 6 votes as first favorite, so it seems that lots of people really like HH, but it doesn’t quite manage to completely win over many people’s hearts. The second place, Hammer, is very similar - it has 10 votes for 2nd favorite, but only 5 for most favorite. Switch Axe remains popular though, with 9 votes. There’s a huge tie for last place, with Great Sword, Lance, Long Sword, and Heavy Bowgun all getting only 2 votes each. This further supports to GS + LS being niche favorites, but Lance and HBG I’m a little surprised about - they got 6 and 5 votes for most favorite, respectively. It seems maybe they aren’t all that popular? However…

Third Favorite Weapon

When it comes to third pick, Heavy Bowgun Takes the cake with 15 votes! It seems that while not many people love the HBG, there’s quite a lot of people who are interested in using it. Switch Axe remains ever popular, getting second place with 9 votes. Hammer and Bow only just missed out and took third place, though, with 8 votes each. Hammer still keeps up as a weapon lots of people like but don’t love, but Bow is interesting on here since we haven’t seen it before. It got only 4 votes for most favorite, and 5 votes for second favorite. Bow is similar to HBG in that it seems lots of people enjoy it, but nobody really loves it. In last place, with only one vote is Insect Glaive. IG is another weapon we haven’t seen on the radar yet - it got 6 votes for most favorite, and 8 votes for second favorite. Interestingly, it got more votes than Bow for 1st & 2nd favorite, but very little for 3rd. Maybe the people who like IG just really love it? And those who don’t just have zero interest in the weapon.

Bow

Bow is a nice bell curve! While it doesn’t have a huge number of 5’s, it’s tied for 2nd place for most 3’s (with Gun Lance) - confirming there’s tons of people who are interested in playing with the weapon, but not many who truly favorite it. Bow also has the fewest number of 1’s! Making it the least unpopular weapon! :toot:

Charge Blade

While not as universally popular as Bow, Charge Blade wins out for most loved - it has more 5’s than any other weapon! It also has a fairly even spread of votes, but the dip in 4’s shows maybe those who don’t love it are a little lukewarm on it?

Dual Blades

Poor Dual Blades, nobody likes you. DB wins the loser award for most 1’s voted. It’s also tied with Light Bowgun and Gun Lance for least 5’s voted. We didn’t see any of DB up in the favorites section, where it got 5, 4, and 7 votes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd favorite (respectively). So while it didn’t come in last in any of those categories, it didn’t really excel or shine in any of them, either. Maybe the weapon is just too complicated for the lack of flashy big numbers? You guys should play more DBs, it feels real cool when you dash through a Nergigante dive attack!!

Great Sword

Great Sword is a pretty average scorer. Nothing really stands out as particularly good or bad, but it does have surprisingly few 5’s. Not a lot to say, unfortunately.

Gun Lance

As mentioned previously, Gun Lance is tied with DB and LBG for least 5’s voted. I guess not many people are super excited to play GL, which is backed up by it getting fairly few votes for favorites. However, GL does have a fair amount of 3’s and 4’s, so there’s a few people that’re interested in playing around with it, at least. Maybe the explosions will win them over when the game comes out?

Hammer

Another average scorer, Hammer Doesn’t really stand out in any one category. However, it’s fairly popular, so there’s quite a lot of people interested in playing it.

Heavy Bowgun

Heavy Bowgun is fairly divisive - lots of people have no interest in it, but quite a lot of people enjoy it as well. In fact, it’s very similar to…

[bHunting Horn[/b]

Hunting Horn! Like HBG, it’s very divisive, but even moreso. HH has the highest total combined 1s & 5s, meaning it’s the weapon people are most torn on - either you love it, or you hate it. That being said, there’s a decent number of people interested in at least trying it out, maybe they’ll wind up sorting out into one of the two camps when the game comes out?

Insect Glaive

Cheer up Dual Blades, Insect Glaive is keeping you company down in the unpopular slums. While not as unpopular as DB, IG still doesn’t score that great. It didn’t do great in the favorites either, getting only 6/8/1 for 1st/2nd/3rd favorite. I was surprised by this, since spinny attacks are fun, and so is leaping around like a maniac. My guess is people don’t want to deal with managing the bug and the buffs, and it doesn’t have any big flashy super attacks for big numbers to make up for it like GL or CB do. Sounds kinda like why I think people don’t like DB, actually…

Lance

While Lance isn’t as disliked as DB or IG, it definitely isn’t super popular. Very few 5’s, and the least amount of 4’s. That being said, it has quite a few 3’s and 2’s - the most combined, in fact. So it wins…most on-people’s-radar-as-a-weapon-that-exists? :confuoot:

Light Bowgun

While Light Bowgun is tied with DB and GL for the least number of 5’s vote, LBG makes up for it with a fair number of 2’s, 3’s, and 4’s. I was tempted to put it in the weapons-people-don’t-really-use-all-that-much category with DB and IG, but it has a surprising amount of people interested in using it. That being said, it scored very poorly in the favorites vote, earning just 5/4/5 for 1st/2nd/3rd favorite - tying with IG for least number of favorite votes.

Long Sword

Long Sword is another somewhat unpopular weapon, but there’s quite a lot of people interested in trying it out every once in a while. It earned the most 2 votes, after all. This is another I thought would be really popular, but apparently not! RIP anime.

Switch Axe

Getting back into the popular weapons, we have Switch Axe! SA has more 3’s than any other weapon, showing that while it may not be the most loved weapon in the universe, it’s very popular overall. Of course, we already knew that from the favorite rankings up above. I suspect that it has just enough complexity to keep it interesting to master, big flashy numbers, and that badass fuckin’ mounting finisher. It’s also worth noting that since people start with this by default, maybe it gets a bit more exposure than other weapons?

Sword and Shield

Last and almost least, we have Sword and Shield! SnS definitely joins DB and IG as an unpopular weapon, and surprise it’s another weapon that doesn’t have big flashy numbers. It probably also gets a bit of a bad rap for being “boring” since it doesn’t have any really complex mechanics. I think a lot of people see SnS as “you whack monsters, and you can use items” and while that’s not wrong, it is underselling the weapon quite a bit. Try it out, it’s a lot of fun!!

Final Popularity Scores
So, as a means of determining which weapons are the ~most popular~ I’ve devised a scoring system. First favorite = 7 points, second favorite = 6 points, third favorite = 5 points, and a rating of 1-5 will earn 0-4 points. Disclaimer: this is probably pointless and arbitrary, but MORE NUMBERS.

Charge Blade: 365
Switch Axe: 357
Hunting Horn: 331
Hammer: 328
Heavy Bowgun: 293
Bow: 280p
Great Sword: 243
Dual Blades: 240
Insect Glaive: 231
Long Sword: 229
Gun Lance: 228
Light Bowgun: 225
Sword and Shield: 223
Lance: 209

Whew, that was a lot of text! As more votes come in, I'll make another (less detailed) post about any updates or mixups! And one last PSA: Give Lance A Chance.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZos95x3xUk

Giant Bomb is doing a stream of their review copy.

their resident monster hunter fan does NOT know how to bow

# of fully charged bow shots is currently 0

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you want to see a really good player playing MHW early CantePerMe got an early copy from Capcom and is streaming https://www.twitch.tv/cantaperme92

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
What’s the point of a lance that’s not a gun? :thinking:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What is the SOS flare stuff? I never played a Souls game, but wasn't there a system to call for help from real people? Or NPCs of real people or something?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

big nipples big life posted:

If you want to see a really good player playing MHW early CantePerMe got an early copy from Capcom and is streaming https://www.twitch.tv/cantaperme92

Seconding this, Canta is very good at this game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

their resident monster hunter fan does NOT know how to bow

# of fully charged bow shots is currently 0

And now you know why MH will never ever review into the 90s

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Huxley posted:

What is the SOS flare stuff? I never played a Souls game, but wasn't there a system to call for help from real people? Or NPCs of real people or something?

In Souls, if you want to help someone else, you use an item that puts a sign on the ground in the world, and other people can interact with it in their game to draw you into their instance of the world to help them, usually with a boss.

The SOS flares seem to work the other way around - if you want help on a hunt, you send up a flare, and a hunter looking at the SOS portion of the quest board can hop into your instance and punch dinosaur.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The instruction manual says the SOS can reach all players too, not just the ones in the 16-player lobby. You can do a search for unanswered SOSs and help those in need. Sunbros are back in a big way.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's neat. I can really picture using that as chill-out time, just queueing up to help and getting dragged into lower-level hunts to wreck.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

So according to that online manual, the Argosy is back. I hope that means Neko (Means Cat) is back too.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The instruction manual says the SOS can reach all players too, not just the ones in the 16-player lobby. You can do a search for unanswered SOSs and help those in need. Sunbros are back in a big way.

Now the only thing the game is missing is invasion pvp :unsmigghh:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Monomythian posted:

pay research points to lure a deviljho into the next hunt :unsmigghh:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Monomythian posted:

Asymmetric multiplayer, become the Deviljho and crash people's hunts :mrgw:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Monomythian posted:

Maybe with a PC version hackers can make this happen somehow

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I hope to god.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nobody wants to LBG when the HBG got so many feel good buffs and the gatling gun is hilarious.

I actually don't even remember what LBG got. Mines?

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Suddenly I'm really glad I'm getting this on consoles.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Check out this cool lbg video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqb-RFOvG10

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Emron posted:

Quite the opposite now if you stack 4 or more attacks you get BONUS stuff. But just have 1 level of speed eating and it happens at that level 1(surprise awesome skill btw)

So you can spread out with a bunch of skills, or really specialize. I haven't looked at a full skill list and it's bonuses (If it exists yet) but there's a lot more variety and fashion choices available.

World is the best.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 24, 2018

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Can someone refresh my memory, but didn't Phantasy Star Online have some weird combination on skills/gear that could kill other players? Something about turning your heals into damage? And thus unintentional pvp was born in PSO. Or was this straight up hacking?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

Nobody wants to LBG when the HBG got so many feel good buffs and the gatling gun is hilarious.

I actually don't even remember what LBG got. Mines?

The LBG in the beta had mines, but that was its special wyvern shot, so it’s possible that HBG could have that as well, or that LBG could have the gatling gun / sniper shots.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I hadn't thought about hackers in this. Do you think that will ruin PC online play? Super characters that can one shot the monster? Or will Capcom have some sort of protection against this?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

The LBG in the beta had mines, but that was its special wyvern shot, so it’s possible that HBG could have that as well, or that LBG could have the gatling gun / sniper shots.

Pretty sure the mines are on all lbgs. There element can change per gun.

Not 100% though

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Okay that was pretty loving cool, hah

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Huxley posted:

That's neat. I can really picture using that as chill-out time, just queueing up to help and getting dragged into lower-level hunts to wreck.

Yeah totally. I used to spend entire weekends on the Dark Souls series doing nothing but putting down white signs and helping others. It's immensely gratifying. I can see myself just answering SOS calls all day on a rainy Sunday. Very generous incentives too, you get awarded quest rewards alongside the original SOS caller.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Chaitai posted:

I hadn't thought about hackers in this. Do you think that will ruin PC online play? Super characters that can one shot the monster? Or will Capcom have some sort of protection against this?

I read somewhere theres a blacklist feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah totally. I used to spend entire weekends on the Dark Souls series doing nothing but putting down white signs and helping others. It's immensely gratifying. I can see myself just answering SOS calls all day on a rainy Sunday. Very generous incentives too, you get awarded quest rewards alongside the original SOS caller.

Same sunbro-bro.