Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Spoeank posted:

Good historical learning involves a healthy amount of criticism of texts and motivations behind authorship. The unfortunate part is that we have to feed so much bullshit to kids to explain what happened in the thousands of years before their snot-nosed faces ended up on this planet to give them a base for historical criticism.

It's also not about what one individual child can handle, it's what the most fragile children can handle.

The whole Civil War was/wasn't/was about slavery arc is pretty emblematic of the issues with historical learning. It also explains why poo poo heads who stopped engaging with their history think the Civil War was about states rights. Not all these people are morons, but all of them think history past a certain point isn't worth investigating, which is moronic.

I'd be cool with this but most explorers were out to plunder and slit some throats so

I get you, and I'm not really disagreeing with you, but more as a tangent, I can't help but think our current education system, at least on the grade school level, is one of the main impetuses for the resurgence of ethnonationalism among the youth. People are wising up that America is funded on genocide, but the history books teach so much American exceptionalism and have so little arguments for why Bad Countries Prosper Too that it just leads to young people thinking, "Well, fascism only failed in Germany because Europeans don't know how to do things right." When history books gloss over the indigenous people kicking the Viking's rear end out of Canada or Japan kicking Russia's rear end, it creates this huge superiority complex. The only real "misstep" that our history books dare enunciate is the Vietnam War, which just happens to coincide with the Civil Rights march, creating this connection in these kids minds that, "Ah, our wars only started being stupid when we started pussifying domestically." I mean, it's a dumb conclusion to make, but our history books just enable it when they make points that it was World War II that got us out the Great Depression, not the New Deal, that World War II was the good war, that we do nothing wrong.

Basically, as a social studies nerd in school, I always kinda understood the field was getting short shrift compared to reading/STEM, and a lot of my education even in middle school had to come from reading books, and it's just really frustrating in hindsight, especially in light of the current tumult we're facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

seiferguy posted:

I find that kids are pretty receptive to new ideas. I remember getting in an argument with a former college classmate over trans people using different locker rooms at the YMCA. Her assumption was that they obviously were going to go in there and either molest kids, or take photos or do whatever shady business she thinks that trans people are trying to do. Then I told her if you just explain to your kid that they feel uncomfortable with the body that there and the kid would probably understand better than you would. Then she straight up told me "I don't want to have that conversation with my kid."

I just got triggered cuz it was my Y where all that uproar in WA started at.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My children will always know the truth about god, Santa, Christopher Columbus and the police.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

FizFashizzle posted:

My children will always know the truth about god, Santa, Christopher Columbus and the police.

Did you see my reply with the links to a cool lunch box/meal prep containers?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

I wasn't allowed to believe in Santa as a kid and boy did it suck to get the talk every year around Christmas about how all the other kids believed in Santa and it was rude to tell them he didn't exist. I let my kid believe in Santa because he's pumped about it and it's harmless.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This is normal and not at all weird

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Thinking of that college gop thing, I am reminded of my other favorite story

the time Jay Bundy ran for student president

Dude was the president of Norml and used to go around school with a WWE title belt at all times

some choice moments from his campaign

quote:

The antics began during the opening statements when Bundy's vice presidential candidate Chris Brink removed his jacket, revealing a tattered dress shirt with missing sleeves.

quote:

"If the students are stupid enough to vote for someone so inappropriate and retarded as I am, then they deserve a president who is going to give the worst performance to the best of his ability," he said, adding that he wants the "lowest approval rating in history."

"You voted for me, bitches," he said. "That was a bad idea."

quote:

He said Stathes will run the show and had a message for Stathes.

"I'm ready to roll, son," he said. "I'll let you do the work, and I'll just sit there and look cute."

Stathes said he has "no idea what [Bundy] is talking about."

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Chick Fil A's by me has these as well and has a horse and carriage for rides around the parking lot! This and those promise balls or whatever they're called are really loving creepy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Father-daughter school dances are really common for kids.

Calling it that and having it hosted by the Predators is pretty lol though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Trump's ears suddenly perk up

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What are those things, promise balls, where dads take their daughters to a dance and they pledge not to gently caress nobody till marriage

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What are those things, promise balls, where dads take their daughters to a dance and they pledge not to gently caress nobody till marriage

Unless it's good ol' boy Roy Moore, he asked for permission from the daddies first, y'know.

This poo poo is always the final frontier when it comes to me understanding rural culture.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754419&pagenumber=1708&perpage=40#post480610577

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Purity Balls. The Dollop has an episode on them.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Cash Monet posted:

Purity Balls. The Dollop has an episode on them.

Weird, Purity Balls was my high school nickname

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

I really go feel like SA has maintained quality posters over the years moreso than any other forum on the internet

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In grade school / middle school, did your schools not run father-daughter balls? Am I the crazy one here?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

its impressive what you can shove up your butt

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That's a weird creepy thing

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't remember having those types of dances at all but I grew up in a pretty liberal city where everyone probably thinks that poo poo is gross, so maybe it just depends on the location?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I don't remember having those at all but I grew up in a pretty liberal city where everyone probably thinks that poo poo is gross, so maybe it just depends on the location?

You can find them at almost any Adam and Eve or novelty sex shop

Edit: oh you fixed it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Its Rinaldo posted:

I just got triggered cuz it was my Y where all that uproar in WA started at.

Yeah, I remember one viral post about a guy saying "when my daughter and wife are in there, I'm gonna stand guard outside the locker room and beat the poo poo out of any transgender freak that's gonna creep on them!" Which is what she shared :smith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Probably Magic posted:

I get you, and I'm not really disagreeing with you, but more as a tangent, I can't help but think our current education system, at least on the grade school level, is one of the main impetuses for the resurgence of ethnonationalism among the youth. People are wising up that America is funded on genocide, but the history books teach so much American exceptionalism and have so little arguments for why Bad Countries Prosper Too that it just leads to young people thinking, "Well, fascism only failed in Germany because Europeans don't know how to do things right." When history books gloss over the indigenous people kicking the Viking's rear end out of Canada or Japan kicking Russia's rear end, it creates this huge superiority complex. The only real "misstep" that our history books dare enunciate is the Vietnam War, which just happens to coincide with the Civil Rights march, creating this connection in these kids minds that, "Ah, our wars only started being stupid when we started pussifying domestically." I mean, it's a dumb conclusion to make, but our history books just enable it when they make points that it was World War II that got us out the Great Depression, not the New Deal, that World War II was the good war, that we do nothing wrong.

Basically, as a social studies nerd in school, I always kinda understood the field was getting short shrift compared to reading/STEM, and a lot of my education even in middle school had to come from reading books, and it's just really frustrating in hindsight, especially in light of the current tumult we're facing.

You're not wrong but you're conflating middle school and high school education with elementary school education. With history, they're completely different beasts because we can't trust children to have the requisite skills to not only comprehend what they read, but also think critically on a level needed for astute historical reflection.

I used to have to sculpt museum curricula to state standards and they're all about learning the history of your area and space, which doesn't create a lot of inflection points for critical thinking. So poo poo gets wallpapered over.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Oh and also kids are as dumb as a bag of rocks so there's that issue

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

pubic works project posted:

Did you see my reply with the links to a cool lunch box/meal prep containers?

yeah thanks fam

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

You're not wrong but you're conflating middle school and high school education with elementary school education. With history, they're completely different beasts because we can't trust children to have the requisite skills to not only comprehend what they read, but also think critically on a level needed for astute historical reflection.

I used to have to sculpt museum curricula to state standards and they're all about learning the history of your area and space, which doesn't create a lot of inflection points for critical thinking. So poo poo gets wallpapered over.

I typed middle when I actually meant elementary, but yeah, I get what you mean.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The serial killer talk has me thinking who was directly responsible for the most deaths in history and it's gotta be the Enola Gay crew, right? 80,000 people instantly killed.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The serial killer talk has me thinking who was directly responsible for the most deaths in history and it's gotta be the Enola Gay crew, right? 80,000 people instantly killed.

Ghengis Kahn depopulated western china and the steppe.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hated poor people from like age 14-18 because i got forced into volunteering at the library as a kid and they would all cheat at the summer reading game where you get one square on a gameboard thing. looking back probably everyone cheated and it was only obvious to me when the kids read 50 books in the span of 2 hours when they got dropped off at the library. so yeah don 't try and teach your kid social lessons until they are like 20

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

He also raped a ton. What a character.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

I mean, you've already moved on from single person to a group, so the Armenian genocide, Hitler or the Soviet gulags already have them beat.

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm not taking about leaders like Hitler or Ghengis Khan. I mean the dudes who actually pulled the trigger.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I mean, the most deaths within a set frame of reference, or most deaths that can be traced back to an single act or decision or a single entity?

E: beaten.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm not taking about leaders like Hitler or Ghengis Khan. I mean the dudes who actually pulled the trigger.

Ghengis Khan loved killing dudes.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

abigserve posted:

Just to be clear

You shoved a butplug up ya bumhole

Then you fisted yourself

Nov 6, 2002

Neil Armbong posted:

I mean, you've already moved on from single person to a group, so the Armenian genocide, Hitler or the Soviet gulags already have them beat.

Ok, then the Enola Gay bomber.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

For instance, this should be taught in schools.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.quora.com/I-missed-the-...unity-to-invest -- this is awesome. i love the internet echo chamber for crypto currencies.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

why would he bring this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Mongols used to line people up in rows and just run down the line with swords cutting throats because lol how else to you execute a captured army so maybe it's closer than you think