Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

started this semester's arduino programming class yesterday

got to tell another half dozen students that html/css doesn't count as knowing a programming language :twisted:

isn't css3 technically turing complete if you horribly abuse the animation system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

just started a c++ course and i feel like a foreigner with a thick java accent

i learned C++ first because i was an idiot 8th grader who was all "it's what videogames are made of!!!" which probably taught me all sorts of Wrong Things. i remember when i first got started i didn't know how functions worked and thought that you used gotos for everything because i'd seen them in nerd poo poo before so my programs were one gigantic main() consisting of nothing but if / else and gotos for flow control :stonk:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ate all the Oreos posted:

so my programs were one gigantic main() consisting of nothing but if / else and gotos for flow control :stonk:

hell yes i loved intro to c++

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
when i was an undergrad, the programming leap from intro to the next course was 'make a class with 3 functions' as the final project and the first assignment in the next was 'code a red/black tree parser'

it was .... difficult

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

in college CS 1 thru 3 were in Java, but then 4 was in C++ "because it's time to take the training wheels off." it was super fun watching everyone who was confident in their programming ability suddenly panic because pointers exist

not that i was particularly great at it either, we had to do this semester project with like, different features due at different points of the semester, and in the middle we all had one-on-one meetings with the professor to talk about the project. i walked in and he pulled mine up and the first thing he said was "oh yeah yours was the one that hard-locked my computer when i tried to run it" :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the first real language I learned was non-++ C and adapting to an object model took a while

don't think I ever wrote a giant pile of gotos outside of the grade school basic/logo days though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/947617250449637376

i uh, wouldn't hold out a lot of hope on that front

how much does it cost to run a rickety old forum with like 1000 peak active users at any one time?

i'm genuinely curious i have no point of reference

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

the first real language I learned was non-++ C and adapting to an object model took a while

don't think I ever wrote a giant pile of gotos outside of the grade school basic/logo days though

i actually technically started on C because i was waiting for my C++ book to come in the mail and found a tutorial online for C and was like "well this is basically the same thing right, C++ is just version 2.0!" :downs:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i learned C++ first because i was an idiot 8th grader who was all "it's what videogames are made of!!!" which probably taught me all sorts of Wrong Things. i remember when i first got started i didn't know how functions worked and thought that you used gotos for everything because i'd seen them in nerd poo poo before so my programs were one gigantic main() consisting of nothing but if / else and gotos for flow control :stonk:

oh are you the guy who wrote our intranet code

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

one gigantic main() consisting of nothing but if / else and gotos for flow control :stonk:

good news, you can make six figures working in enterprise financial software

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

sa posters are basically caterpillars of which some manage to turn into beautiful twitter celebrity butterflies

"weird twitter" is what happened to all the funny posters from fyad and yospos

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

how much does it cost to run a rickety old forum with like 1000 peak active users at any one time?

i'm genuinely curious i have no point of reference

ill guess that its significantly cheaper now that it's been virtualized rather than have to pay for two racks in a datacenter

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

graph posted:

when i was an undergrad, the programming leap from intro to the next course was 'make a class with 3 functions' as the final project and the first assignment in the next was 'code a red/black tree parser'

it was .... difficult

the algorithm for deleting nodes from a red-black tree was "beyond the scope of this text" in my data structures book

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

carry on then posted:

the algorithm for deleting nodes from a red-black tree was "beyond the scope of this text" in my data structures book

what the gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
level 3 was 'code an ____ compiler in ____' and level 4 was loving operating systems

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

graph posted:

what the gently caress

we wrote avl trees instead

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shifty Pony posted:

"apparently not only does no snowflake in an avalanche ever feel responsible, they get really indignant if you dare suggest they aren't entitled to participate"

:wow:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shifty Pony posted:

my reply of "apparently not only does no snowflake in an avalanche ever feel responsible, they get really indignant if you dare suggest they aren't entitled to participate" sparked days of angry ranting :allears:

thats going in the doc with the qirex post

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

carry on then posted:

should've done a double-right rotation and walked away

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chris Knight posted:

how the hell did you manage to gently caress up an empty quote

I caught the quote pre-edit, including the incorrect closure.

:thejoke:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best assigned project I ever did in programming class was writing a lan simulator, where threads were routers and local sockets were cables. you had to have it create a topology, generate routing tables on each router-thread using only the socket-cables, and run a bunch of diagnostics to prove it was working right

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jessefelder/status/955830653945344000

Keen said one bit of history that today’s tech titans can learn from is the example of their counterparts in the Industrial Revolution, such as Andrew Carnegie. Although he was “cruel” to his own workers, he reinvented himself as a philanthropist and contributed greatly to America’s public education and infrastructure.

The person best positioned to be a modern Carnegie, Keen argued, is Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.

“He’s a mensch, he’s a grown-up, he’s incredibly smart,” Keen said. “He’s not a geek like [Larry] Page. He understands it.”

lmao

absolutely deranged.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

the best assigned project I ever did in programming class was writing a lan simulator, where threads were routers and local sockets were cables. you had to have it create a topology, generate routing tables on each router-thread using only the socket-cables, and run a bunch of diagnostics to prove it was working right

neat

mine was a raytracer

oddest was probably the server/client pair where the client could upload arbitrary java files and the server would compile and run them and return the result in HTML

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"weird twitter" is what happened to all the funny posters from fyad and yospos

funny posters? in yospos?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

you’re supposed to say “is left as an exercise for the reader”

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hobbesmaster posted:

you’re supposed to say “is left as an exercise for the reader”

ahaha i forgot, the book was almost a decade old when i took the course in 2011

http://www.informit.com/store/data-structures-and-algorithms-in-java-9780672324536

e:

quote:

As you may recall, coding for deletion in an ordinary binary search tree is consider- ably harder than for insertion. The same is true in red-black trees, but in addition, the deletion process is, as you might expect, complicated by the need to restore red- black correctness after the node is removed.
In fact, the deletion process is so complicated that many programmers sidestep it in various ways. One approach, as with ordinary binary trees, is to mark a node as deleted without actually deleting it. Any search routine that finds the node knows not to tell anyone about it. This solution works in many situations, especially if dele- tions are not a common occurrence. In any case, we’re going to forgo a discussion of the deletion process. You can refer to Appendix B, “Further Reading,” if you want to pursue it.

"deletion is hard, so just leak memory forever"

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 24, 2018

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol if this wasnt your ide

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

graph posted:

lol if this wasnt your ide

lol at developing on a mac, especially a pre-OSX mac

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

haveblue posted:

Thats cool. CS programming assignments were so fun because you were never expected to make anything useful and weren't allowed to use libraries that would do the fun parts for you. If I ever make it rich I'd do that all day

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

Thats cool. CS programming assignments were so fun because you were never expected to make anything useful and weren't allowed to use libraries that would do the fun parts for you. If I ever make it rich I'd do that all day

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BattleMaster posted:

lol at developing on a mac, especially a pre-OSX mac

lol @ spending hours debugging only to find you missed a ; on line 178

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

graph posted:

level 3 was 'code an ____ compiler in ____' and level 4 was loving operating systems

our CS3 had us make a babby's first "compiler" (technically interpreter I guess? but it scanned the whole file first and "compiled" it into a memory structure) for a really simple but turing-complete language just to show that actually compilers aren't magick. that was one of my favorite projects cuz it was relatively simple but real neat :3:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the only course I ever had with CS in the actual title was CS II and it was just like intro to data structures and complexity analysis

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
back in 2002 when i was a comp sci major we learned c++. first semester started with make an unbeatable tic tac to game, then make one that's recursive instead of a mile of if statements, then expand that to play go and build a dll (using some libraries provided) to play against the prof's ai. bonus points if you could actually beat his.

i changed majors to classical guitar after dropping the course halfway through. programming was not for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i had to take programming for engineers and it was java and i wasn't too good at it.

i also took computational linear algebra and had to learn matlab which i was somewhat better at

i don't remember anything about either

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

back in 2002 when i was a comp sci major we learned c++. first semester started with make an unbeatable tic tac to game, then make one that's recursive instead of a mile of if statements, then expand that to play go and build a dll (using some libraries provided) to play against the prof's ai. bonus points if you could actually beat his.

i changed majors to classical guitar after dropping the course halfway through. programming was not for me.

we did the tic tac toe game thing but as an example of polymorphism, so you basically had to write a generic engine that could theoretically run any 2-person game with perfect information just by recursively generating all possible moves and then picking the one that wins with the least steps. so it started with tic-tac-toe and then the next bit was to make it play connect-4 (with an arbitrarily large grid the user can define) using the same underlying engine. i enjoyed it a bunch, plus i think that's the project where polymorphism kinda "clicked" for me and i actually got it rather than just knowing it as "that weird thing where some classes are some other classes sometimes"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
in high level poo poo we had to do tic tac toe in mips

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

of loving course it's shipped in 'orbs'

bottles are for the commercial sheeple drinking their chemical water

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well yeah, one time somebody said nalgene bottles were leaching ~chemicals~ so in the memetic fashion by which new age hippie poo poo operates, all things must now be packaged in glass otherwise you'll get sick/leaky gut/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

well yeah, one time somebody said nalgene bottles were leaching ~chemicals~ so in the memetic fashion by which new age hippie poo poo operates, all things must now be packaged in glass otherwise you'll get sick/leaky gut/etc

they literally are, though. plastic doesn't seem like real safe packaging for drinking water

herp derp let's put this universal solvent into a container made of partially-polymerized hydrocarbon stew

• Locked thread