Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Bulbasaur and other oil paint people, what do I use as a pallette? I'm guessing my normal wet pallette isn't appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I use an old plastic palette. The ones that look like egg cartons. Or the lid from a some jar (flipped around, obviously)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Z the IVth posted:

VMC Brass basecoat. Wash with 2:1 - 3:1 Agrax Earthshade and Nuln oil, drybrush VMC Brass, drybrush VMC Air Shining Gold, drybrush VMC Silver. Wash with Seraphim Sepia then tidy up with Silver as needed.

Awesome, thanks. That seems like a great technique.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Uh. Weird question, only moderately related to painting—anyone know where I could find the Material Safety Data Sheets for MicroSet and MicroSol? The MicroScale Solutions webpage doesn’t seem to have them anywhere....

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Stephenls posted:

Uh. Weird question, only moderately related to painting—anyone know where I could find the Material Safety Data Sheets for MicroSet and MicroSol? The MicroScale Solutions webpage doesn’t seem to have them anywhere....

It seems like the contents are proprietary and they aren't required to have MSDS for consumer products.

This seems to indicate rough contents:
https://www.reddit.com/r/modelmakers/comments/2zigsw/what_are_micro_set_and_micro_sol/

Acetic acid is pretty harmless, Acetone and Isopropyl alcohol are pretty fine as long as you don't go huffing them or drinking them, or pouring them down the drain, though the acetone is probably pretty dilute.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Working on the goat for Morvahna2. Skin is pretty much done, though it needs a wash, everything else needs a wash and another highlight.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

That is a real good goat.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Another materials question:

Reaper Bones, made of what seems to be PVC, seem to react badly to enamel varnish i.e. dullcote—they go tacky, even if you apply the dullcote over them after they’re painted. Or so some people have complained.

Citadel Barbed Bracken and Creeping Vines seem to be made of material very similar to Bones.

Anyone know what happens if you hit a base with Barbed Bracken or Creeping Vines with dullcote after it’s painted? Do you get sticky, dust-magnet-y foliage?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I painted some Vast miniatures for a friend!

I think they're adorable :3

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Just a quick cross post of my work over the last week.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Finished my latest crow batch tonight. I painted it in different colors entirely to give the group a non-uniform feel. Really happy with the results, especially my new weathering and highlighting method. I think these are probably the best things I've painted to date, especially the eyes. Finally nailed that satisfying glow effect.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Those are painted beautifully, but more than that I really dig the complicated Eldar helmet + WW1 leathers look.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

But from what store? Amazon, Dick Blick, somewhere else? Just curious if there is a "go to" store for brushes.

I'd go Blick, if only because you can't 100% verify the sellers on Amazon.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Forgot to ask earlier, what head did you use for the female Sigmarine? I really like how this one looks. :)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Forgot to ask earlier, what head did you use for the female Sigmarine? I really like how this one looks. :)

I would also like to know more, Z the IVth; that's a really nice fit for that model. I know Statuesque does some women's head swap accessories, but they've got two or three different scales. If you could share the on v you used, that'd be great!
(Also, I will never stop giggling at the fact that people still call them "Sigmarines.")

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I would also like to know more, Z the IVth; that's a really nice fit for that model. I know Statuesque does some women's head swap accessories, but they've got two or three different scales. If you could share the on v you used, that'd be great!
(Also, I will never stop giggling at the fact that people still call them "Sigmarines.")

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's a Statuesque Miniatures 'Heroic' scale head. The hair has been sculpted on.

From my experience with them, their heads are best used as follows:

'Heroic' scale - Space Marines/Power Armour or any 'chunky' sculpts
'Narrow Heroic' scale - Sisters of Silence, Guardsmen, regular humans, can be used for heavily armoured models if you want to exaggerate the armour bulk
Pulp scale - less chunky 28-32mm sculpts - old scale Infinity
Fine scale - true 28mm - LoTR, Hasslefree miniatures

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

R0ckfish posted:

Just a quick cross post of my work over the last week.

The guns are so...fleshy. It's a good look on nids.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Signal posted:

I painted some Vast miniatures for a friend!

I think they're adorable :3

This got skimmed over so I just wanted to say they look great :)

Is the goblin riding a mimic, or just a really large pair of teeth?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does everyone prefer kneadatite for their modeling/casting needs? I thought I had some around but I guess not, so if there's some other type of epoxy putty that people like I would be curious.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

This got skimmed over so I just wanted to say they look great :)

Is the goblin riding a mimic, or just a really large pair of teeth?

Thanks!

The goblins represent three tribes (Fangs, Bones, and Eyes), and my friend liked the idea of them done as stone sculptures.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I prefer ProCreate for general stuff. Brown stuff (from P3) is also good for hard edges, and Apoxie Sculpt is pretty good too. I also like Mr. White Putty R and Mr. Dissolved Putty for really small gaps. Be careful with those though, since they’re lacquer-based.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Avenging Dentist posted:

I prefer ProCreate for general stuff. Brown stuff (from P3) is also good for hard edges, and Apoxie Sculpt is pretty good too. I also like Mr. White Putty R and Mr. Dissolved Putty for really small gaps. Be careful with those though, since they’re lacquer-based.
/

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

Does everyone prefer kneadatite for their modeling/casting needs? I thought I had some around but I guess not, so if there's some other type of epoxy putty that people like I would be curious.

Magic sculpt for hard edges, mix of magic sculpt and kneadatite for when I'm doing curves or need some elasticity.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
All this talk reminds me I need to grab some greenstuff soon.

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.
Chaps,
Anybody a regular user of Vallejo Chipping medium and can offer some advice?
I've just sprayed a couple of items and it was spattery as hell, looked like a spit-take from my bloody airbrush, Vallejo say you can use it out the bottle but after two blasts i thinned with some water and lowered my PSI to about 15.
airbrush is happy spraying other things so i think perhaps the medium?

it is drying pretty level but is this normal or am i being special? (i'm talking lion standard special)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Don’t spray at 15 psi, don’t thin it. I spray it fine at 30 psi straight out of the bottle. Give it 30-60 minutes to dry, it’ll look pitted like the skin of an orange.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

When I spray chipping medium it comes out really crappy too. I can still get good coverage and it still chips just fine

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone know off-hand how out-of-scale Privateer Press' Iron Kingdoms line would be w/r/t 40k? I know their Warmahorde stuff is pretty big.

E: :doh: It's literally an RPG set in the same universe. Same scale.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 24, 2018

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Might have bought a great unclean one by, uh, accident I guess

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.

ijyt posted:

Don’t spray at 15 psi, don’t thin it. I spray it fine at 30 psi straight out of the bottle. Give it 30-60 minutes to dry, it’ll look pitted like the skin of an orange.

30psi? Blimey, i'll give that a shot cheers. The finish does seem a bit orangey/crackle

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Schadenboner posted:

Does anyone know off-hand how out-of-scale Privateer Press' Iron Kingdoms line would be w/r/t 40k? I know their Warmahorde stuff is pretty big.

E: :doh: It's literally an RPG set in the same universe. Same scale.

I personally haven't seen any of their IK minis in person, but I seem to remember them back from when I first started WMH in...2012? There might have been a little scale creep since then.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Any tips for getting a natural yellow / brown look on Chaos Space Marine helmets? I haven't found a good tutorial video yet. I gave it my best shot, but I have no idea how to blend colors, so it just looks like there's a white section, a yellow section, and a brown section :smith:

This is kind of what I'm talking about :
https://imgur.com/a/tMc4l

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Might have bought a great unclean one by, uh, accident I guess

Accidentally buy two more and get the trifecta.

The One-Two Punch
Dec 10, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Finished my latest crow batch tonight. I painted it in different colors entirely to give the group a non-uniform feel. Really happy with the results, especially my new weathering and highlighting method. I think these are probably the best things I've painted to date, especially the eyes. Finally nailed that satisfying glow effect.

These look rad. The eyes glowing against the heavily weathered helmet really pops. Did you use an airbrush for that?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Any tips for getting a natural yellow / brown look on Chaos Space Marine helmets? I haven't found a good tutorial video yet. I gave it my best shot, but I have no idea how to blend colors, so it just looks like there's a white section, a yellow section, and a brown section :smith:

This is kind of what I'm talking about :
https://imgur.com/a/tMc4l

Are you talking about the horns? A little bit of painting, and maybe some sepia wash really diluted and slowly build up the yellowing from it. Or even just a reallllly thin wash made from a dark tan brown paint. I guess this would work for anything you want to "yellow".

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Philthy posted:

Are you talking about the horns? A little bit of painting, and maybe some sepia wash really diluted and slowly build up the yellowing from it. Or even just a reallllly thin wash made from a dark tan brown paint. I guess this would work for anything you want to "yellow".

Yeah sorry, it looks like I forgot a few words there, but yea I meant the horns. Okay cool, I'm pretty sure I have sepia wash so I'll try this out. Thanks! If I can't get it to work I'll just go white with a dark base at the horn for now until I can build up a little more skill.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thread, meet Thaddeus, the wizard!

As all wizards who desire to find and access the frozen city must do, Thaddeus underwent a ritual to learn of its location. It is now ingrained upon his soul and no matter where he is in the world, he will ever be aware of that place, of Felstad...

And he was the last mini i needed to paint for my starting warband! :)
I'll get a group shot at some point. The weather isn't really helping and I still need to varnish.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The One-Two Punch posted:

These look rad. The eyes glowing against the heavily weathered helmet really pops. Did you use an airbrush for that?

Thanks dude. It's the first time I've done glowing eyes well and it was pretty easy. Did it all with a brush:

1- White prime
2- Black wash
3- Dark red base leaving the black around the edges
4- Tiny orange dot in the upper corner
5- Gloss over the area
6- Super thin red colored oil filter over the top, I mixed it probably 5:1 (spirit:paint)
7- Matte the whole model

The One-Two Punch
Dec 10, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks dude. It's the first time I've done glowing eyes well and it was pretty easy. Did it all with a brush:

1- White prime
2- Black wash
3- Dark red base leaving the black around the edges
4- Tiny orange dot in the upper corner
5- Gloss over the area
6- Super thin red colored oil filter over the top, I mixed it probably 5:1 (spirit:paint)
7- Matte the whole model

Cool I’ll have to give that a try sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Doing the "I actually did something!" cross-posting marathon.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

gently caress YES I ACTUALLY FINISHED SOME MODELS

Now I just need something better than my lovely cellphone camera. I tried cleaning it up but between the LED-induced horizontal banding and the generally lovely nature of my phone it's a lost cause. On the other hand I have dudes and they look awesome.