Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Even duck tales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

bunnyofdoom posted:

Even duck tales?

That's not Marvel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

It worked so it was a pretty good plan really.

"How did being king of Genosha turn out for Magneto?" Asks the man with the Grant Morrison avatar.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It would've worked out well if it weren't for the giant genocide robot out of nowhere.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's not an RKO. He should have expected it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Makes sense to just clean the slate with what they're going for, sucks that the first show to really break from their stale animated universe gets caught up in this...
Why must it always be the Spider-toons that get caught up in network programming kerfluffles?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm confused about everything where Magneto appears as an antihero, because I only ever remember him being a creepy genocidal maniac. The first X-Men I read was the Claremont run where he puts Moira MacTaggart in a skintight metal gimp suit.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm confused about everything where Magneto appears as an antihero, because I only ever remember him being a creepy genocidal maniac. The first X-Men I read was the Claremont run where he puts Moira MacTaggart in a skintight metal gimp suit.

Read Uncanny #150. It's the first time seeds for his future anti-hero credentials are ever established and a good comic generally.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Halloween Jack posted:

The way I see it, he is a survivor of one horrible genocide who now has powers and is watching as nearly the exact same thing he survived is slowly happening again, so personally, I give him a bit of a pass because that is kind of hosed up to consider living through twice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

FilthyImp posted:

Why must it always be the Spider-toons that get caught up in network programming kerfluffles?

I guess it just wouldn't be Spider-man if life wasn't unfair.

On the bright side, Kaiju The Lizard!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, he lost his poo poo on Moira after finding out that she genetically tampered with him to brainwash him when he had been de-aged back into a baby.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
True, he repaid her creepy Claremont fetish scenario with a somewhat less creepy Claremont fetish scenario.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Magneto, like many other great villains, is a guy who has a point and just goes about proving it the wrong way. He always goes too far. Anti-hero Magneto isn't that hard to get to. They just walk him back across the line and comic book time can allow us to pretend that he never did *insert unforgivable thing here*. Or it was a clone. Or it was a robot. Or he's really really sorry about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What will comics do about Magneto as World War II passes out of living memory? Has he appeared progressively younger in holocaust flashbacks as time passes (ie in the 80s he was a teenager but in the 00s he’s like five or six)?

Comics have a boner for World War II generally because of when they became big and when a lot of their characters were created, but eventually kids are going to wonder why everyone in comics cares so much about something that happened 100 years ago.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

business hammocks posted:

What will comics do about Magneto as World War II passes out of living memory? Has he appeared progressively younger in holocaust flashbacks as time passes (ie in the 80s he was a teenager but in the 00s he’s like five or six)?

Comics have a boner for World War II generally because of when they became big and when a lot of their characters were created, but eventually kids are going to wonder why everyone in comics cares so much about something that happened 100 years ago.

WW2 isn't passing out of memory anytime soon seeing as they are still mining it for games and movies. Also the whole resurgence of actual Nazis IRL.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

Magneto, like many other great villains, is a guy who has a point and just goes about proving it the wrong way. He always goes too far. Anti-hero Magneto isn't that hard to get to. They just walk him back across the line and comic book time can allow us to pretend that he never did *insert unforgivable thing here*. Or it was a clone. Or it was a robot. Or he's really really sorry about it.
I'd say you can't really do that in the Ultimate universe, where he delivered a public address telling normal people that intends to turn them into slaves or, failing that, canned food.

I've said this before: if they have a backbone they'll make him Palestinian.

(They will not do this.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unless we get in another war where we can say we're unequivocally the good guys I don't think the country will ever stop idolizing WW2 and its veterans.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There are, sadly, tons of other genocides they can wrap him up under.

Make him Rwandan, for example.

The question is whether him surviving a genocide is integral to what makes him a good character (and whether tossing him around to other genocides is troublesome or not).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd rather they just have him age slowly or something than just interchangeably use different genocides.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
They'll put the least possible effort into reconciling Magneto's continued existence with the fact that the Holocaust was so long ago. Either they'll imply/outright say he's been de-aged enough times for his physical and chronological age to be out of tune, or they'll reveal his secondary mutation of longevity if they're pushed into it. And then they'll write in the Marvel Company Bible never to tie a new character to an event in history again, because while you get some leeway with Captain America having been frozen in WW2 and defrosted an indeterminate amount of time later, they don't want to keep pulling these tricks for Magneto or Punisher.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Magneto got de-aged back in the 70s, and between that and the sliding timescale, it shouldn't become a problem for a long time. The issue of historical relevance to the reader in the very long term is an interesting one, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Magneto doesn't have to be on the wrong side of a genocide, let alone a real world history one, to believe what he believes. Good ol' regular bigotry found the world over can do that to a person. And if he's both Jewish and a mutant (and Roma?) then you can bet he's experienced some bigotry.

But if he wants to exterminate homo sapiens then I suppose you might lose the hypocrisy, or poetic justice, or us getting a taste of our own medicine... Whatever you want to call us being genocidal against him and he in turn becoming genocidal towards us.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically Magneto should be able to get away with having been any age back during the holocaust, because at around 1975 he was turned into a baby, and then transformed back into an adult via Shi'ar technology. That was even brought up as part of his crimes against humanity trial in the 80s, as part of the justification for ruling him not guilty. Comics these days get really anxious and self-conscious about their old wackiness though.

Halloween Jack posted:

I've said this before: if they have a backbone they'll make him Palestinian.

(They will not do this.)

That would definitely be interesting, but probably too interesting for any business execs to be willing to risk anything on it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Unless we get in another war where we can say we're unequivocally the good guys I don't think the country will ever stop idolizing WW2 and its veterans.

Even WW2 had a bunch of hosed up poo poo done by the allies, it's just that the Nazis and Japanese were so much worse it was still easy to say we were the goodies.

Ain't no maudlin schmaltzy Spielberg movie about Dresden.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Ain't no maudlin schmaltzy Spielberg movie about Dresden.

But you can make wizard detective stories.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

FilthyImp posted:

https://screenrant.com/marvel-spider-man-season-2-2018-disney-xd/

Spidey's getting a second season!

e: It should be noticed that the press release has a fairly big spoiler for the four-parter that is currently airing.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 24, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was the last big direct conflict between large nations, and more importantly, the first time that the international community acknowledged and prosecuted crimes against humanity after they all awkwardly looked the other way with regard to the Armenian genocide.

And it was conveniently the key part of the sequence of events that put America on top of the world, at least for a brief period.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Let's go all the way and make him a survival of the Genosha Genocide.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Actual people spend actual money on magnetic bracelets thinking it would reverse the aging process, Magneto is basically a walking one of those, they don't need to do much explain his longevity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Actual people spend actual money on magnetic bracelets thinking it would reverse the aging process, Magneto is basically a walking one of those, they don't need to do much explain his longevity.

I like to imagine a couple having a conversation about those bracelets and one guy says "You know that's just a scam, right?" Then Magneto tears the roof off the building and yells "ACTUALLY HUMAN, IT WORKS"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Alvarez IV posted:

They'll put the least possible effort into reconciling Magneto's continued existence with the fact that the Holocaust was so long ago. Either they'll imply/outright say he's been de-aged enough times for his physical and chronological age to be out of tune, or they'll reveal his secondary mutation of longevity if they're pushed into it. And then they'll write in the Marvel Company Bible never to tie a new character to an event in history again, because while you get some leeway with Captain America having been frozen in WW2 and defrosted an indeterminate amount of time later, they don't want to keep pulling these tricks for Magneto or Punisher.

As long as America keeps fighting really lovely unsinkable Wars, there will never be a problem keeping Punisher up to date

poo poo give it ten years and he’ll be a North Korean War vet

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I mean, he will easily be a War on Terror vet for a looooong time at this rate.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I fully welcome the return of Magneto having any and all powers with even the most tenuous connection to metal or magnetism, like mind controlling people through his magnetic personality

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AnonSpore posted:

I fully welcome the return of Magneto having any and all powers with even the most tenuous connection to metal or magnetism, like mind controlling people through his magnetic personality
In the 90s they tried to say he could control people's thoughts via the iron in their blood

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My understanding of Magneto as a character is:

1. Holocaust survivor
2. Can manipulate any aspect of reality in any way he wants by mentioning "magnetism"
3. Has every personality disorder

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

My understanding of Magneto as a character is:

1. Holocaust survivor
2. Can manipulate any aspect of reality in any way he wants by mentioning "magnetism"
3. Has every personality disorder

4. Wears those colours because his tailor misread it as "Magento".

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/959153491716395008

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

" Raphael, as the oldest and biggest brother, he is the leader full of enthusiasm and bravado; Leonardo, the self-professed ‘coolest’ brother possesses irreverent charm and a rebel heart; Donatello, a mechanical genius and tech wizard whose ninja skills are second only to his coding; and Michelangelo, the youngest brother, a skateboarder and artist who is wild and imaginative. "

They mixed up Raph and Leo.. Hopefully the newsarama hosed up and not the show...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

deong posted:

" Raphael, as the oldest and biggest brother, he is the leader full of enthusiasm and bravado; Leonardo, the self-professed ‘coolest’ brother possesses irreverent charm and a rebel heart; Donatello, a mechanical genius and tech wizard whose ninja skills are second only to his coding; and Michelangelo, the youngest brother, a skateboarder and artist who is wild and imaginative. "

They mixed up Raph and Leo.. Hopefully the newsarama hosed up and not the show...

I don't think they did. Raphael is described as the "oldest and biggest" brother and he's pretty plainly that in the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ugh.