Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

tbf giggs was too ashamed to use his name too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eau de MacGowan posted:

tbf giggs was too ashamed to use his name too

Nice

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hold on to you are butts it's time for the uefa nations league draw!

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I can't wait, so much excitement.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I was going to post a helpful image to explain how it all works but I can't make imgur do what I want so you're on your own.

Basically there's four leagues (or groups), each group (or league) has four leagues (or groups) in it with three (or four) teams each. They play each other home and away and the top team in each group (or league) wins something. There's a four-way final playoff for the four winners of the top group league groups, and also some poo poo about extra qualifying places for Euro 2020 but loving hell I really don't care.

I don't think the groups (or leagues) are seeded so I expect England to lose hilariously in an "easy" group of Iceland and Switzerland or something.

Oh, and at least one of the shittiest teams will go to the Euros so look forward to Kosovo being dunked on in two and a half years time.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Pretty sure they're seeded.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Got it!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

:siren: League D has been drawn :siren:

Group 1: Andorra, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Georgia.

Group 2: San Marino, Moldova, Luxembourg, Belarus.

Group 3: Kosovo, Malta, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan

Group 4: Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Armenia, Macedonia.

Look forward to seeing one of these teams gracing Euro 2020 with their part-time stylings.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

sebzilla posted:

:siren: League D has been drawn :siren:

Group 1: Andorra, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Georgia.

Group 2: San Marino, Moldova, Luxembourg, Belarus.

Group 3: Kosovo, Malta, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan

Group 4: Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Armenia, Macedonia.

Look forward to seeing one of these teams gracing Euro 2020 with their part-time stylings.

hell yeah league D

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i've read three articles on this shite and I still have no clue what the gently caress is going on

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
No one cares is what the gently caress is going on.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
This league bs is finally going to kill international football and I'm glad and cheering it on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

:siren: League C up in this bitch :siren:

Group 1: Israel, Albania, Scotland.

Group 2: Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary.

Group 3: Cyprus, Bulgaria, Norway, Slovenia.

Group 4: Lithuania, Montenegro, Serbia, Romania.

Scotland get the small group. Is that good or bad or neutral? I like Group 2 being in alphabetical order. Montenegro is Serbia which seems unfair. Analysis!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
so the poo poo teams are all in leagues so when they play friendlies they get points so if they don't qualify for the euros the top four teams of each poo poo tier - providing they haven't already qualified for the euros - get to go into a play off so they can qualify

right

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i've read three articles on this shite and I still have no clue what the gently caress is going on

I think my explanation was pretty clear mate.

Although I forgot about relegation/promotion.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

so the poo poo teams are all in leagues so when they play friendlies they get points so if they don't qualify for the euros the top four teams of each poo poo tier - providing they haven't already qualified for the euros - get to go into a play off so they can qualify

right

I don't understand the sequence of words in your post but it seems about right. Also if they do good they'll move up to the next tier and then not be able to win games any more so won't qualify for poo poo and will be relegated again probably.

It's an interesting but terrible system.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Bad teams get rewarded for winning their group (a spot at Euro 2XXX), but punished by being promoted to a better group, where they have no chance of winning. The top group doesn't really get anything because these teams should walk their qualifiers to begin with, so they'll just play those games like all other meaningless friendlies.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

:siren: League B for "Blimey this is an exciting alternative to International Friendlies" drawn :siren:

Group 1: Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia.

Group 2: Turkey, Sweden, Russia.

Group 3: Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Austria.

Group 4: Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Wales.

Czech/Slovak derby is good. Wales/Ireland is good. Everything else is BORING

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The Netherland are in Pot 3 of League A so get ready for a GROUP OF DEATH involving them and literally any two teams from the other pots except for Belgium, Switzerland and England who are poo poo.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
This is fine.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

sebzilla posted:

The Netherland are in Pot 3 of League A so get ready for a GROUP OF DEATH involving them and literally any two teams from the other pots except for Belgium, Switzerland and England who are poo poo.

You make it sound like you care about this competition. No one in Europe should care about this. They're literally trying to manufacture a pointless competition that makes no sense. We already have qualifiers.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Congrats. Netherlands now get to have their noses rubbed in how poo poo they are for 4 matches.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
In theory this should make it harder for countries trying to "game" the FIFA rankings by picking their friendlies, right?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

:siren: ohmigosh it's only League A, the best league there is! :siren:

Group 1: Netherlands, France, Germany. - Group of DEATH

Group 2: Iceland, Switzerland, Belgium. - Group of MEDIOCRITY

Group 3: Poland, Italy, Portugal. - Group of PIP

Group 4: Croatia, England, Spain. - Group of ENGLAND PLAYING IN LEAGUE B NEXT TIME AROUND

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

mackintosh posted:

You make it sound like you care about this competition. No one in Europe should care about this. They're literally trying to manufacture a pointless competition that makes no sense. We already have qualifiers.

This is the best and most exciting tournament since the Anglo-Italian Cup and I can't wait to watch *checks notes* Malta vs the Faroe Islands TWICE

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
sebzilla is having some sort of weird meltdown

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Manc Hill posted:

In theory this should make it harder for countries trying to "game" the FIFA rankings by picking their friendlies, right?

I think it's rubbish but since it winds up the plastic MY BEST TEAMS guys it's also good

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

RideTheSpiral posted:

so it's not just a clever name

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

RideTheSpiral posted:

I just really love the UEFA Nations League and am coincidentally bored at work.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Not as bored as I am.

Proof: I read your posts.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

sebzilla posted:

I just really love the UEFA Nations League and am coincidentally bored at work.

Did you get a job at UEFA?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Group 2: Iceland, Switzerland, Belgium. - Group of MEDIOCRITY

Nothing mediocre about those plucky and inspirational Icelanders imo.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Between this and Leeds' new crest I feel like I've rediscovered a TV show I've not seen in years, some of the characters are still there but I don't get any of the storylines

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sebzilla posted:

Group 4: Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Wales.

The fake countries derbies. Should be good.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

sebzilla posted:

This is the best and most exciting tournament since the Anglo-Italian Cup and I can't wait to watch *checks notes* Malta vs the Faroe Islands TWICE

The anglo-italian cup ruled though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

is this real

save for the intergalactic vase

edit: I don't think it's real.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The stuff in rectangles and pentagons is about right, apart from the league names and the Evo-Stik League. Octogon bits are hilarious comedy. Intergalactic vase is extremely legit.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I hope we become a good team again!

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gigi Galli posted:

I hope we become a good team again!

turns out that the best way to succeed in the uefa nations league with budweiser is to be really poo poo and bad until you can win

so I have excellent news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

For real reals, though, in principle I almost like the idea of doing a Davis Cup style thing so that international breaks serve some purpose other than watching all your best mans getting hurt or a chance to give Grant Holt a token run-out. And you could sell me on just picking four random idiot teams to go to a big tournament since if you're going to let France go, you might as well let Estonia go too.

But trying to do both at once is not a good idea at all, and is going to break very quickly

• Locked thread