Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I mean Return of the King is a good movie but it's not 11 academy awards good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like that was for the whole trilogy combined. I'm also sure Gladiator won because they really wanted to give it to the Insider but they couldn't, so whatever Russel Crowe was in the next year would get awards. I like Gladiator but its a dumb action movie, not best picture. Though I don't know why Braveheart won, its so nakedly full of poo poo and over wrought.

Seriously, Braveheart completely destroyed the greatest battle the Scots won against the English at Sterling bridge by taking the god drat bridge out of it. It can't even get its dates right.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yes, Oscars take into account their social impact. Even accounting for that there's literally no reason Wonder Woman should be on a Best Picture ballot when Lady Bird, The Big Sick, Get Out, and The Shape of Water all come out within the same year.

Socially impactful movies were not in short supply this year. Wonder Woman isn't even that "progressive" in its politics, people just rallied around it as some Progressiveness Vanguard because, well, first woman-starring superhero flick. But if you're gonna argue it has a deeper message (or even a quarter as deep message) than, again, fuckin' Get Out or The Big Sick, which are both movies that ended up having a much wider social impact and cultural relevancy/memetic popularity than WW (like both movies were made on shoestring budgets and made a ton of cash and were in the conversation way longer than anyone expected) just...lol.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 24, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wonder Woman's big thing was it was the first DC movie not to be terrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The Big Sick, which are both movies that ended up having a much wider social impact and cultural relevancy/memetic popularity than WW (like both movies were made on shoestring budgets and made a ton of cash and were in the conversation way longer than anyone expected) just...lol.

Come on man.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hiddenriverninja posted:

Do awards consider social impact when nominating films?

Paul Haggis' Crash didn't win (and then become a punchline) because it was a good film.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I had to google that one because the Crash I've heard about was the one where people get off on car crashes, and I couldn't imagine that being on the Academy Awards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Samuringa posted:

I had to google that one because the Crash I've heard about was the one where people get off on car crashes, and I couldn't imagine that being on the Academy Awards.

It deserved an oscar more than the other Crash.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No it won so homophobes could feel justified in not voting Brokeback while still feeling "progressive".

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like that was for the whole trilogy combined.
Yeah, it definitely was. At the time, there was a lot of criticism that Peter Jackson was being snubbed for best director, since the awards for Fellowship and Two Towers had gone to Ron Howard, for the pretty but kind of forgettable A Beautiful Mind, and Roman Polanski, for exhibiting outstanding directing while successfully avoiding jail-time for rape. So when it came to Return of the King they kind of overcompensated.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh i forgot about Polaski's win. loving hell. Dude made like 2 good movies, but he's treated like he's some kind of genius.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I remember correctly A Beautiful Mind was directed in sequence,and if THAT is true, it 100% deserves its directing Oscar.

Plus I love ABM sooooo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, it definitely was. At the time, there was a lot of criticism that Peter Jackson was being snubbed for best director, since the awards for Fellowship and Two Towers had gone to Ron Howard, for the pretty but kind of forgettable A Beautiful Mind, and Roman Polanski, for exhibiting outstanding directing while successfully avoiding jail-time for rape. So when it came to Return of the King they kind of overcompensated.

Robert Altman should have won for Gosford Park.

(The other nominees that year were David Lynch for Mulholland Drive and Ridley Scott for Black Hawk Down.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
And Amelie wasn't even nominated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Would proudly wear that to any movie premiere or hell, anywhere at all.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

2018 looks

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Starring Robert Dwoney Jr.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
For years my pick for She-Hulk casting was Paget Brewster who is still absolutely perfect, but I've decided to update it to Lauren Lapkus.

Thank you, as you were.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'm still hoping for Aubrey Plaza. I think she can pull off the timid/meek/unassuming to sexy/confident/badass ratio and she could do movies or Netflix depending on how they go.

Her Hulk form would have to be CGI obviously but it really should be anyway, she should be unnaturally large and beautiful and it's hard not sacrifice a bit of one for the other.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If they ever do a She-Hulk series I honestly want it to be an insane legal drama in the superhero world that has superhero stuff going on, but that avoids having Jennifer Rogers transform for like, two whole seasons. Just kind of vaguely refer to the idea that she's perfectly capable in a hero fight, or that you wouldn't like her when she's angry, and dance coyly around the idea instead of making it a focus of the show from the start.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"What if we did a superhero show but coyly tapdanced around showing the titular character doing anything super for a couple seasons" sounds insanely dumb. Like it's bad enough that the Marvel Netflix shows constantly avoid naming any of the Avengers instead of constantly giving them nicknames like "the big green guy."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kai Tave posted:

"What if we did a superhero show but coyly tapdanced around showing the titular character doing anything super for a couple seasons" sounds insanely dumb. Like it's bad enough that the Marvel Netflix shows constantly avoid naming any of the Avengers instead of constantly giving them nicknames like "the big green guy."

Jennifer Walters, AKA She-Big Green Guy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Also I've never seen a show do the legal world correctly and I loving hate it as a lawyer. So please no 2 years of that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Also I've never seen a show do the legal world correctly and I loving hate it as a lawyer. So please no 2 years of that.

Law & Order outside the pat confessions scenes?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mikeraskol posted:

Objection overruled.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kai Tave posted:

I have to admit, I'm way more interested in the "lawyer to superheroes" aspect of the character than her actually being one.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mikeraskol posted:

You're just jealous that she can make objections by flexing big green muscles and you can't.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Kai Tave posted:

She-Hulk thing is that she's a lawyer that takes metahuman case. Sure, they often involve people in need of a good punching, but that's just collateral.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

It's like you've never even heard of Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Samuringa posted:

She-Hulk thing is that she's a lawyer that takes metahuman case. Sure, they often involve people in need of a good punching, but that's just collateral.

Yeah I know, but her thing is also that she chooses to stay in hulk form rather than her normal human form because she likes being big and strong. A She-Hulk show that spends two seasons teasing at her transforming but never actually showing it misses the point in a big way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

For years my pick for She-Hulk casting was Paget Brewster who is still absolutely perfect, but I've decided to update it to Lauren Lapkus.

Thank you, as you were.

I remember a few years ago Angie Harmon was on Conan O'Brien's show where she said she'd like to play She-Hulk.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

"What if we did a superhero show but coyly tapdanced around showing the titular character doing anything super for a couple seasons" sounds insanely dumb.

They kinda did that with Agents of SHIELD and it was pretty good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Let me tell you about a show called Smallville.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

how far did you get in Smallville before you realized it would never get better?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The super speed segments were generally pretty cool and they managed to squeeze those in just about every episode at least.

And Allison Mack was crazy hot. Now she's the leader of a dangerous sex cult!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/VinnieMancuso1/status/955824103491031041

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jamesman posted:

They kinda did that with Agents of SHIELD and it was pretty good.

People keep saying Agents of SHIELD got better after the first season but the first season was so utterly dull that I've never felt the urge to see if it's true or just some longform practical joke that took on a life of its own. I'm not sure I would hold it up as an example to follow, is what I'm saying.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hiddenriverninja posted:

how far did you get in Smallville before you realized it would never get better?

Series finale credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

People keep saying Agents of SHIELD got better after the first season but the first season was so utterly dull that I've never felt the urge to see if it's true or just some longform practical joke that took on a life of its own. I'm not sure I would hold it up as an example to follow, is what I'm saying.

It's better and mostly watchable. Gets pretty over rated here though.

• Locked thread