Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Warning I hear Kyoto is a mess nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If it's anything like the tourist spots in Tokyo it's gonna be insane. You can barely even move on the sidewalks of the main drag in Ginza now, even on a weekday.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Akarshi posted:

Hey goons, I'll be travelling in to Japan for the first time this spring from Seoul in a group of 4. We'll be in for a week, and were thinking of doing 3 nights in Osaka (day tripping to Kyoto and Nara on D2 and D3) and 3 nights in Tokyo. Does that sound like a decent split, or would it be better to cut days from one to add to the other? Thanks!

What are you looking for out of Japan? If you have been in Seoul for a while Tokyo might not be much of a change.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You guys make it sound like everywhere is bad in Tokyo but I was never so bad for all the time I have been in japan.

Maybe I’m used to worst crowds.

Maybe kabukicho is bad but that’s about it

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The newest change I noticed is the amount of Thai and SEA tourists in japan.

Which is kinda cool

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I honestly didn't notice tourist crowds very often either and I was there as a tourist so I was in tourist places a fair amount. That was last year tho.

Def the most crowded place was that Hub we went to, lol.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I honestly didn't notice tourist crowds very often either and I was there as a tourist so I was in tourist places a fair amount. That was last year tho.

Def the most crowded place was that Hub we went to, lol.

That was in (probably) the most popular Hub in the city, on Hub day where *everything* is half off, so yeah that’ll do it.

Was too crowded then to be enjoyable though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LimburgLimbo posted:

That was in (probably) the most popular Hub in the city, on Hub day where *everything* is half off, so yeah that’ll do it.

Yeah it was the worst other than the free drinks.

But like I didn't see huge crowds anywhere else. Right outside Shibuya station is always packed but otherwise? I guess it depends what you're used to. I didn't even run into mainlanders outside of Akihabara and Ginza and there's no reason to go to either of those really.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

What would be the least popular Hub?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ned posted:

Whichever one you're in

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ned posted:

No idea, but my money is on Kanda or Ueno.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Or maybe that second floor one in takadanobaba.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Whichever one you're in

:drat:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's p wild the HUB actually has so many locations.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Grand Fromage posted:

Whichever one you're in

I haven't been to a Hub in quite a while! My favorite drinking spot in Tokyo is the vending machines under the tracks near Yurakucho.

I think the Gaienmae Hub might be pretty empty unless they have a sporting event going on. I went there once and it was super empty. Kanda Hub is small and closes early but there is usually a decent number of people in there. I've only been in there for a meetup but I used to walk by quite often on my way to Drum Can Tachinomi! That place is super cheap.

But people are lucky to have the Hub. In Fukuoka we don't have it and our ripoff version is the exact same menu but the prices are 50% more expensive.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Good to know.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

Ned posted:

But people are lucky to have the Hub. In Fukuoka we don't have it and our ripoff version is the exact same menu but the prices are 50% more expensive.

Would love some recommendations of your favorite restaurants/things worth it to see or do in Fukuoka - spending 10 days there at the end of March.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ned posted:

I haven't been to a Hub in quite a while! My favorite drinking spot in Tokyo is the vending machines under the tracks near Yurakucho.

I think the Gaienmae Hub might be pretty empty unless they have a sporting event going on. I went there once and it was super empty. Kanda Hub is small and closes early but there is usually a decent number of people in there. I've only been in there for a meetup but I used to walk by quite often on my way to Drum Can Tachinomi! That place is super cheap.

Yeah gaienmae Hub exists basically purely to cater to the post rugby/baseball crowd

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Good Parmesan posted:

Would love some recommendations of your favorite restaurants/things worth it to see or do in Fukuoka - spending 10 days there at the end of March.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298207-d3790604-Reviews-Gyozaya_Ninoni_Daimyo-Fukuoka_Fukuoka_Prefecture_Kyushu_Okinawa.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...hu_Okinawa.html

https://en.japantravel.com/fukuoka/yatai-mami-chan/12772

https://findingfukuoka.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/oyafukodori/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...hu_Okinawa.html

There is a weekly drinking event on Thursdays you can go to if you want to meet some locals.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

Ned posted:

Awesome stuff.

Thanks so much!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Good Parmesan posted:

Thanks so much!

Is there anything specific you want to do? If you want to meet local foreigners go to Black Sheep or CC Cafe and they can give you all sorts of ideas.

Fukuoka is about food, shopping, and people. Not a lot of sites for tourists to see.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I'm mostly there for the food, nightlife, and to walk around and explore the city. I spent two weeks in Nagasaki a couple years ago so am expecting a similar feel in Fukuoka?

I'm not super into touristy stuff anyway like museums, just going to enjoy the experience - planning on going Tokyo next year. Right now just collecting a list of cafes, restaurants, cool bars/places to potentially check out. I'd like to walk around parks or go hiking (maizuru and dazaifu?), maybe stay at a ryokan in Oita.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
If you can afford it Kurokawa honestly beats Oita (excluding a couple of lesser known places) for onsen.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

caberham posted:

You guys make it sound like everywhere is bad in Tokyo but I was never so bad for all the time I have been in japan.

Maybe I’m used to worst crowds.

Maybe kabukicho is bad but that’s about it

To be fair cab, you're used to HK. That place is like a busy Tokyo weekend everyday all year all the time.

I really don't want to think just how much worse things going to be in Tokyo the closer we get to 2020.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

Do you still have your residence card? I think the re-entry allowance is a year after departure, regardless of how long your visa was initially valid for.

Residence card is somewhere in my house but they punched a hole in it. It will be less than 1 year since I left and I'll only be there a few weeks. There isn't any real reason not to get a tourist visa, I was just wondering since my passport still has the active Visa in it.

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
I'm headed to Tokyo this week on a last minute trip alone, are there any favorite places to drink/socialize that aren't golden gai? Also, recommended winter hikes around Tokyo? Hakone? thx

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Residence card is somewhere in my house but they punched a hole in it. It will be less than 1 year since I left and I'll only be there a few weeks. There isn't any real reason not to get a tourist visa, I was just wondering since my passport still has the active Visa in it.

That visa was probably good for one entry. After that you enter based on your status of residency proven by your residency card.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There are some ski goons in Tokyo who knows the snows.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Gunstav posted:

I'm headed to Tokyo this week on a last minute trip alone, are there any favorite places to drink/socialize that aren't golden gai? Also, recommended winter hikes around Tokyo? Hakone? thx

Shibuya hub and Takao-san?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
If you’re drinking alone Center-Gai Hub is legit a good place to go. Just sit at the big round table and chat.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gunstav posted:

There should be a lot of meetups where you can meet people. Tasuichi in Shibuya is cheap and has a lot of people you can talk to.

heisenberg
Dec 17, 2008
Alright, now it's getting closer. Have to actually plan details of where we are staying - staying from 3/27 to 4/5 (weird timing, but tickets were < $500/person/RT so we jumped on it), flying in to Haneda. Second time visiting - first time was just for a week and we did Kyoto for 2 nights and Tokyo/Shinjuku for the rest. This time we were thinking about checking out some area a bit closer to Fuji for 3/27-3/30 and then heading back to Tokyo.

Last time it was mid-late July and we checked out a bunch of shrines/temples, hit up the end of a street festival, went through a cool market in Kyoto, the Imperial Gardens, and a few different parks. Gorgeous, but hot as balls.

Few questions:
1) In our first scan through, Kawaguchiko or Gotemba were initially sticking out as places to stay near Fuji.
-Any recommendations between the two?
-Are there more interesting places nearby we are overlooking?
2) Are we going to get bored with 3 days out in that area, or is there enough going on to keep us entertained? Would we be better suited to make this a day trip and stay somewhere else more interesting instead?

Still fleshing out a more detailed itinerary - only absolutes are checking out the cherry blossoms if they are there when we are and Kanamara Matsuri, because of course.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
After a bunch of persuasion from a friend who lives near Tsuruse station, we have organised a visit. We are planning on spending about 2 weeks in a nearby airbnb over the christmas/new year period. How is tokyo during christmas? Does stuff close or will we be pretty safe to do all the touristy stuff?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Christmas is a normal work/school day, banks and family businesses often close 12/29-1/3.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Cool, we are mostly playing it loose as far as structure goes, allowing our friend to organise most of our trips in the city, but are there any day trips that are absolutely "Must do" my partner is quite upset once she realised that most of the stuff she wanted to do was on the other side of the country, so some good ideas to throw at her would be nice.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
The wife and I are thinking of visiting for 2 weeks. What are some fantastic things to see? (Landing in Toyko, thinking of going south). Also what are some good tips (for everyday use)?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Buildings, trees and mountains are all p cool.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Just stay in Osaka and go to the Hub

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

prompt posted:

Just stay in Osaka and go to the Hub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stringent posted:

Buildings, trees and mountains are all p cool.

This.