Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I don't think I'd get rid of the 6D. But I still shoot a large proportion of wildlife, and there are times when the AF on the 6D just can't cut it, even in center-point/back button focusing. The other day I was at a wetland and had a beautiful male Cinnamon Teal fly across my view in gorgeous light and with a great backdrop of colorful marsh grass. Didn't get a single shot in focus. I might look at the 80D again, especially since they show up every once in a while crazy cheap on the Canon Refurb site. But I think the 7D2 is what I really want.

BIF shots are super fun, and the 7D2 is great at it. Even super common birds become worthwhile to shoot. I spent a whole afternoon just photographing brown pelicans and western gulls swooping around a poo poo-stained rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Once upon a time I rented a Canon 100-400 push pull lens in preparation for a race, and figured I'd get used to its function at work where we have a fair amount of interesting water birds.. cranes, swans, and depending on season several tons of ducks and geese.

At any rate it made me despise birds with a passion because they would be chilling out doing their thing in a pond while I watched, but the instant I lifted the camera to my face they'd fly off. Either they're used to cameras and they hate photographers or they see it as some kind of a threat.

Haven't tried to shoot birds since.

Cars are way easier because you can predict them. :colbert:

IMG_7066.jpg by xzzy77, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

xzzy posted:

Once upon a time I rented a Canon 100-400 push pull lens in preparation for a race, and figured I'd get used to its function at work where we have a fair amount of interesting water birds.. cranes, swans, and depending on season several tons of ducks and geese.

At any rate it made me despise birds with a passion because they would be chilling out doing their thing in a pond while I watched, but the instant I lifted the camera to my face they'd fly off. Either they're used to cameras and they hate photographers or they see it as some kind of a threat.

Haven't tried to shoot birds since.

Cars are way easier because you can predict them. :colbert:

IMG_7066.jpg by xzzy77, on Flickr

I'm limited by my skill, my equipment, or likely both, but the notion of successfully taking a picture of a bird on the wing literally makes me laugh out loud.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wildlife in general can gently caress off.. ungulates will moon you at every opportunity, predators will either be on a ridge two miles away or ripping your throat out, rodents never stop moving, and as I mentioned birds will fly away for no reason at all.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Posted on SA before but if I can bird with a 60D and a 40mm pancake...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Seamonster posted:

drat, that's very nice. Was the gull doing that hover thing they do sometimes?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
It was on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. I just got it out at arms length straight upwards. Red AF confirm in the VF is still visible so there you go :effort:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I recently got a decent bird shot or two hip-shooting with my 60D and Tamron 17-50 set up for landscape shots and not action, I was laughing hard that I even got a bird in frame with the setup.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Psh, 17-50mm? I have a favorite bird shot on a Rebel at 11mm. :smugbird:

Does anyone remember the series some Goon got of a Harris's Hawk super close with a wide-angle canyon view behind? Aliencowboy or a similar name, used to post awesome stuff here all the time?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I remember the picture but not sure it was in a canyon.. if I recall it was at some turnout next to an interstate north of las vegas.

Sure it's in the wildlife thread somewhere, have fun clicking through all those pages.

And yes it was alien cowboy, they changed their forums name to burzum karaoke.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Hi hello yes it was me

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seamonster posted:

Seamonster posted:

It was on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. I just got it out at arms length straight upwards. Red AF confirm in the VF is still visible so there you go :effort:

:colbert:

17-50, f/10 and be there.

Anyway, pretty opportunistic about shooting birds, the last set I just happened to walk past some guy feeding them grapes in the park, and this was pretty random too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

It's obvious to me at this point: To take good pics of birds I have to go to NYC, which has once again proven itself to be the land of opportunity.

Real talk: I've moved my bird feeder closer to the house and out of the shadows. Hopefully now I'll be able to get some halfway decent photos of the little SOBs with my T6i & 55-250.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

xzzy posted:

ungulates will moon you at every opportunity

Yeah, wtf is up with that? I have a lot of shots of bison and bighorn sheep buttholes.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, wtf is up with that? I have a lot of shots of bison and bighorn sheep buttholes.

In learning photography, we also learn about...ourselves.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

President Beep posted:

In learning photography, we also learn about...ourselves.

:nws:

:nws:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Take bad photos of me like one of your French girls.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Very tasteful. I’d put that on my wall.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

These three images of questionable quality rest atop a digital mountain of blurry, poorly composed garbage.

Small critters are fast. My autofocus and lens? Not so much...

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
If you have the time to set up and you know in advance roughly where the animals are going to be (like by the bird feeder or on that wooden rail), you can use a slightly narrower aperture for more depth of field, pre-focus manually on the middle of that zone and wait for something to fly/walk/crawl across your viewfinder (with the camera still in manual focus mode so that the lens doesn't start hunting all over the scene when something moves in it).

Of course it's usually the case that as soon as you do this, the precise space where your lens is pointing will suddenly be a wasteland where nothing will venture for hours, but that's all part of the joys of photography.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’d absolutely try that, but there’s a drat good chance that my four year old son and one year old lab who are always chasing each other around would just bat the tripod out of their way.

Someday though. :allears:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

President Beep posted:

These three images of questionable quality rest atop a digital mountain of blurry, poorly composed garbage.

Small critters are fast. My autofocus and lens? Not so much...

these look just fine on my cell phone screen, haha. my serious comment is that i think it's neat you got a nice shot of this cardinal in an interesting position. i know birds can twist their heads way around but it's cool to see it in a photo like this :)

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Birding with the 100-400 II is even harder with a body like the a7r2. But at least its auto focus is decently fast if you limit the minimum focus distance.

Also eye tracking focus of the subject works from time to time at the 400mm end for portraits.

It’s somewhat easier on the 5d4 if you do live view and keep tapping on the screen to make sure its locking on at the right place.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

these look just fine on my cell phone screen, haha. my serious comment is that i think it's neat you got a nice shot of this cardinal in an interesting position. i know birds can twist their heads way around but it's cool to see it in a photo like this :)

Thanks much for the encouraging words. Moving the feeder to a sunnier part of the back yard that's also closer to the house (from where I shoot) definitely helps to mitigate my various limitations. I really need to start reading the bird making GBS threads thread--I bet I could pick up some pretty good tips there.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

President Beep posted:

I really need to start reading the bird making GBS threads thread

Quite the niche interest.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Quite the niche interest.

Quick! To the Flickr search function!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Just got back from vacation in Florida. Had blast and took tons of pictures.

It turns out that the larger birds down there are a lot easier to photograph than the skittish little fuckers that inhabit my back yard.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
I'm considering setting up a home studio in an unused room. I've been looking at digibee, but I guess there's a clone that's gotten decent reveries. Has anyone here heard anything about them, or the company? Alternately, I could do a single light setup with an Einstein.

https://interfitphotographic.com/home/honey-badger/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I need a reality check here, goons: Is it just me being dumb, or is Canon’s on-camera wifi interface just plain poo poo?

I mean, I can use it, but it’s never a good experience.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

I need a reality check here, goons: Is it just me being dumb, or is Canon’s on-camera wifi interface just plain poo poo?

I mean, I can use it, but it’s never a good experience.

I don't mind it with the iOS app. It definitely could be clearer but if you are just trying to throw photos to your phone it's not so bad. This is with the G7X– I don't usually use it with my DSLR

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I don't mind it with the iOS app. It definitely could be clearer but if you are just trying to throw photos to your phone it's not so bad. This is with the G7X– I don't usually use it with my DSLR

My complaint du jour is that every time I switch which device I’m connecting to—ie iPad vs iPhone—I’ve got to re-enter the randomly generated encryption key for the camera’s broadcasted wifi. It always takes me forever to find the drat code, and you’ve got to backtrack a ways up the menu tree to get to it.

Now that I typically shoot in RAW, I don’t use it much anymore, but It’d still be nice if it was more intuitive.

Also, gently caress you, apple, for not including NFC on your devices.

:rant:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stop using easy connect then, spend the time to configure the camera with a static setup. Then all you have to do is choose the app on your phone and it just works.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Stop using easy connect then, spend the time to configure the camera with a static setup. Then all you have to do is choose the app on your phone and it just works.

Awesome! That’s exactly what I want. Thanks.

My initial question has been answered. Sounds like it’s

President Beep posted:

just me being dumb

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oops noticed an auto correct error, "app" should have been "AP" as in choose the camera network in WiFi settings.

drat phone posting.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I need to get a 5d4 and a 100-400 before June. Are there regular Canon sales between now and then that I should wait for?

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
I'm jumping into the digital world with a Canon T2i in a month or so as soon as some money hits the bank and got some questions. Keep in mind budget is a concern, always, and I'm buying used.

I have a good set of Yashica Primes (28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7 and 135mm f2.8) that I plan on keeping, especially the 50 and 135. I'm thinking about getting a zoom for general use and maybe a wide-ish prime.

Among the zoom lenses, what would be a good all-around walk around lens that goes from 28mm equivalent up to whatever's avaliable? What about the kit lens, is it garbage or usable? I could combo it with my Yashica 75-200 f4.5 and have a set of zooms if it's okay-ish.

I'd also like a 28mm equivalent (So ~20mm?) prime. It doesn't have to be fast, have just good image quality really. Small is a bonus. Is there a bargain-bin prime lens for the Canon system close to that focal lenght?

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 20, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Primo Itch posted:

I'm jumping into the digital world with a Canon T2i in a month or so as soon as some money hits the bank and got some questions. Keep in mind budget is a concern, always, and I'm buying used.

I have a good set of Yashica Primes (28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7 and 135mm f2.8) that I plan on keeping, especially the 50 and 135. I'm thinking about getting a zoom for general use and maybe a wide-ish prime.

Among the zoom lenses, what would be a good all-around walk around lens that goes from 28mm equivalent up to whatever's avaliable? What about the kit lens, is it garbage or usable? I could combo it with my Yashica 75-200 f4.5 and have a set of zooms if it's okay-ish.

I'd also like a 28mm equivalent (So ~20mm?) prime. It doesn't have to be fast, have just good image quality really. Small is a bonus. Is there a bargain-bin prime lens for the Canon system close to that focal lenght?

When you say “kit lens”, I assume you’re referring to the 18-55. My Rebel came with the STM version that has a maximum aperture of f/3.5, and I’ve gotten some good, sharp images out of it, assuming I had enough light. Not sure which version you’re referring to, and I’ve never shot with an older one.

Regarding primes, on the EF-S side of things, the closest lens I know of that kind of matches what you’re looking for is the 24mm f/2.8 STM pancake. I’ve got a copy, and it’s a joy to use. It’s approximately 38mm full frame equivalent, which I suppose is wide-normal, so not exactly what you’re looking for, but cheap and good. I’m sure there are wider primes to be had, but I can only imagine they’re a drat site more expensive.

If you still want something wider, but are willing to get a zoom instead, I’ve heard good stuff about the EF-S 10-18mm.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't think there's any primes besides the 17mm ts-e that'll give you an equivalent of 28mm on a crop body. If you're not married to the idea of a prime, the 10-18mm on the long end will give you the equivalent. It's a very nice affordable ultra wide.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Primo Itch posted:

A really good walking about lens that covers wide-angle up to mild-tele ranges is the 17-50 ƒ/2.8. Theres a Tamron and a Sigma version that are pretty much identical and can probably be found for cheap used as the new price for either is around $300 or so. That's going to give you an equivalent 27-80mm FoV with a fixed aperture throughout the zoom range and image stabilisation. ƒ/2.8 isn't blazingly fast but it's faster than the kit lens can go and it's fine for 99% of genera purpose photography.

I have the Sigma 17-50 and it's almost permanently attached to my 70D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The current kit lenses from Canon aren't so bad, but the ones from when the t2i was current (I bought one in 2010 or 2011 I think) are probably best avoided- back then the Tamron/Sigma equivalents were even more strongly recommended compared to the kit offerings. So just make sure you don't get whatever came with the camera you are buying.