Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

mackintosh posted:

You make it sound like you care about this competition. No one in Europe should care about this. They're literally trying to manufacture a pointless competition that makes no sense. We already have qualifiers.

Wait, this doesn't replace the qualifiers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

poty posted:

Wait, this doesn't replace the qualifiers?

No. It supplements them as an alternative route to qualification.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Gibraltar will rise.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
gibraltar rocks

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

HappyCamperGL posted:

No. It supplements them as an alternative route to qualification.

Hell, I've just thought about it - there are 12 countries in League One, and 12 countries in League Two.

Twenty teams will qualify automatically, and then the top four remaining teams from each league will go into the playoffs.

So, unless five teams from Vanarama League Three qualify automatically (which they won't), literally every team in the top two groups is guaranteed to be in a play-off to go to Euro 2020, even if they lose every game of both the Nations League and their qualifying group.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

But then next year they'll be in a lower division and won't get that privilege. The system works! Maybe.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

sebzilla posted:

This is the best and most exciting tournament since the Anglo-Italian Cup and I can't wait to watch *checks notes* Malta vs the Faroe Islands TWICE

Holy poo poo, you just gave me flashbacks to those old ASCII football sims, good times.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/01/russia-world-cup-locusts-pitch-damage-officials-fear

quote:

Swarms of locusts pose a threat to Russia’s World Cup because they could attack pitches, causing a “global scandal“, an agriculture ministry official said on Wednesday.
Matches will be played in 12 stadiums in 11 cities. Pyotr Chekmarev, head of the agriculture ministry’s crop farming department, said the pitches could be targeted by locusts during the summer months.

“One way or another, we have learnt how to deal with locusts, but how do we not fall into a global scandal with locusts this year?” he said at an agricultural event in Moscow.

“The whole world is coming here. Football fields are green. Locusts love it where there is lots of green. How would they not come to the place where football is being played?“

Chekmarev said around a million hectares of land in southern Russia was infested with locusts, including around the World Cup host city of Volgograd.

oh hello

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
gently caress that reminds me - have you guys seen in Planet Earth 2 when the superswarm of locusts descends?

It's loving INCREDIBLE.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
reminds me of the ronaldo moth in the last euro final

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Is lie! But, only just in case, Ministry of Agriculture will spray pitches daily with DDT, known insecticide with no humans side effects ever.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

reminds me of the ronaldo moth in the last euro final

That was the single best part of that entire lovely tournament.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
What odds do you think I can get on Giggsy sleeping with one of the player’s wives during his tenure?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

wooger posted:

What odds do you think I can get on Giggsy sleeping with one of the player’s wives during his tenure?

2 to 69

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

wooger posted:

Why do you think Bellamy won't join his coaching team?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

sassassin posted:

Doesn't want to share his powerpoint secrets

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sassassin posted:

Probably just generally has self respect and wants to get a managers job himself somewhere.

He’s divorced already, so can’t be the usual.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

So where are FIFA going to emergency move the World Cup to if/when everyone agrees Russia's been transparently killing folks?

lol jk it'll go ahead and Big Vlad Putin will score the winner for Russia against an incredibly lethargic opposition

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sebzilla posted:

So where are FIFA going to emergency move the World Cup to if/when everyone agrees Russia's been transparently killing folks?

lol jk it'll go ahead and Big Vlad Putin will score the winner for Russia against an incredibly lethargic opposition

england should boycott imo, they're going to lose anyway

edit: looks like bojo agrees

https://twitter.com/elashton/status...013156435845120

the uk team won't go the world cup

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 14, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My kid asked me this yesterday and I didn't really know the answer: what on earth did Belgium do between ~2006 and now? Their best player back then was...van Buyten? Now they're absolutely loaded everywhere on the pitch and it really didn't seem to take that long.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

bewbies posted:

My kid asked me this yesterday and I didn't really know the answer: what on earth did Belgium do between ~2006 and now? Their best player back then was...van Buyten? Now they're absolutely loaded everywhere on the pitch and it really didn't seem to take that long.

All their immigrants grew up.

Not meant as a jab - I think it's true.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
De Bruyne actually hails from an impoverished Irish family and he made the trip to Belgium stowed away in a crate on a ship full of potatoes op

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

All their immigrants grew up.

Not meant as a jab - I think it's true.

Shouldn't this make the US the best team in CONCACAF?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

There have been a lot of think pieces about that since missing out on qualification. The short answer is, no, the federation does an awful job sourcing talent.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

El Chingon posted:

Americans play football, not football, silly.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

oliwan posted:

De Bruyne actually hails from an impoverished Irish family and he made the trip to Belgium stowed away in a crate on a ship full of potatoes op

funny poo poo for sure op

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

El Chingon posted:

They don't scout poors and illegals for the prestigious national team in America yet

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Mr. Mambold posted:

They don't scout poors and illegals for the prestigious national team in America yet

Scouting illegals for your national team

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ramsey's done a Giggs and pulled out of Giggs' first friendly squad.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

fat gay nonce posted:

funny poo poo for sure op

thanks op

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

The Chilean FA called up Claudio Bravo as captain and titular keeper as always, and he responded with a resounding “lol no” before deciding to have a big public cry about the FA but also everything he said is true, the FA is poo poo.

The backup keeper, Herrera, is having a good season and they’re only friendlies, so let Bravo cry on the city bench.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Isn't Bravo one of the few Chilean national team players who is not a partying drunk driving douchebag?

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Simone Poodoin posted:

Isn't Bravo one of the few Chilean national team players who is not a partying drunk driving douchebag?

Exactly. He doesn’t gel at all

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

China are extremely bad at football

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

sebzilla posted:

China are extremely bad at football

Actually theyre really good and ryan giggs is the greatest manager of all time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm sick of commentators jerking off Chris Gunter for ten minutes every game. His only talent is running (slowly) a lot and not getting injured, it's not like he's getting all these caps based on ability.

Playing with wingbacks who can't attack is why we didn't qualify for the world cup. As soon as teams defended against us and closed off Ramsey and Bale in the middle we couldn't do jack poo poo.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Oscar Ramirez and Alex McLeish faced each other on the pitch in 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdVHYcZCHs

And tomorrow they face each other as managers.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Gomez

Trippier
Henderson
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Rose

Sterling
Rashford
Lingard

Or something. Three keepers on the bench lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

That defence is hilarious. Walker, the best English RB, playing at CB. Gomez, who's only played at RB this season, playing at CB. The rest is just a damning indictment of how poor the England squad is right now.

• Locked thread