Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

stevewm posted:

Just because I had never bothered to do it before, I had myGreenVolt running to capture the numbers when I floored it compared to "Idle".

Interesting! That sure is a big voltage drop on full power. I bet you don't have to drop to a very low SoC before the power output is noticably reduced.

Godholio posted:

So ride a loving horse. He's not at all right, for a lot of reasons. Only way I can live within 5 miles of my job is to buy a goddamned farm or an RV.

Or move. Which I'm not suggesting you should. But I've lived within walking (or bus, bicycle or motorcycle) distance from work for 9 years, past all the stores I do errands in, and it is sweet.The mental torture people put themselves through by sitting in traffic jams every day, stressing to not miss kindergarten pickup, shopping when everybody else is shopping etc, has to be unhealthy on many levels. It would feel better in an adaptive cruise Tesla of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ola posted:

Interesting! That sure is a big voltage drop on full power. I bet you don't have to drop to a very low SoC before the power output is noticably reduced.

I've never noticed any power drop at low SoC. The car typically warns you of power drop... I've done full power runs up to interstate speed before with only 1-2 miles showing on the Guess-o-Meter and it still went to 120kW on the dash. But anyways I'll try it with the ODBII app next time I get close to depleting the battery.

Also that app is a bit strange, it was designed for the Gen 1 Volt. Some of the ODB PIDs are different from the Gen2, so I am wondering about the accuracy on certain things. Though I believe the kW and thus the Volts/Amps to be accurate, as they jive with what the car shows on the dash. I need to get a proper TorquePro template for the Gen2 and use it instead.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Ola posted:

Or move. Which I'm not suggesting you should. But I've lived within walking (or bus, bicycle or motorcycle) distance from work for 9 years, past all the stores I do errands in, and it is sweet.The mental torture people put themselves through by sitting in traffic jams every day, stressing to not miss kindergarten pickup, shopping when everybody else is shopping etc, has to be unhealthy on many levels. It would feel better in an adaptive cruise Tesla of course.

Yeah I've lived my whole life within 5-15min drive of the places I work and I'm going to try very hard not to ever change that because it makes everything so much easier. Living in a smallish city helps a lot with that though.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ola posted:

I may have to move to LA for work. My entire home search will be within a 5 mile radius so I can get there by bicycle quickly. Also a walkable area (shops etc.).

Driving in LA (and I have lived there in the 1990's) sucks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

Buddy my town has two stores you'd recognize and three traffic lights. Barring a job at Walmart, I'm commuting.

Rural Nevada is a little different than places you're describing.

Edit: Oh it looks like the nearest residential neighborhood to my job is about 4.8 miles away. Not much fun to walk when it's 105* out or 20*, and based on the size of the lots they're not cheap.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 23, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Northern NV or 'holy shitballs its hot' NV?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 23, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

Buddy my town has two stores you'd recognize and three traffic lights. Barring a job at Walmart, I'm commuting.

Rural Nevada is a little different than places you're describing.

Edit: Oh it looks like the nearest residential neighborhood to my job is about 4.8 miles away. Not much fun to walk when it's 105* out or 20*, and based on the size of the lots they're not cheap.

I'm sure, but you're perhaps not suck in a traffic jam either. Then you only have to worry about long enough range and that's a nicer problem.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

I'm sure, but you're perhaps not suck in a traffic jam either. Then you only have to worry about long enough range and that's a nicer problem.

Absolutely agree. It's frankly one of the only good things about being in this part of the country.

ilkhan posted:

Northern NV or 'holy shitballs its hot' NV?

Former, but we get enough of the latter. I haven't seen above 110*, but my bar for "gently caress this" is well below that and we see 100 enough.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

blugu64 posted:

Compliance dollars/cafe credits/etc.

It's this.

Arizona had a alternative fuel program they had to cancel because people were abusing the system to put propane tank installation art in the back of their suburban

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/02/us/costly-plan-to-promote-alternative-fuels-jolts-arizona.html

quote:

''You've got people putting little four-gallon propane tanks in sports utility vehicles and getting 50 percent back on a $40,000 car,'' Ms. Bahr said. ''Four gallons of propane goes less far than four gallons of gasoline, so all they do is use their regular engines because propane is hard to find. That actually creates more emissions because they're driving a bigger car than they would ordinarily buy.''

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yes most people live where population density is .5 per square mile.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just sat in the Model 3 at Aventura mall...

The hype is real. If they really pull off production of these things with 2xx miles of range for $35k, they’re going to sell a gently caress TON of cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hifi posted:

It's this.

Arizona had a alternative fuel program they had to cancel because people were abusing the system to put propane tank installation art in the back of their suburban

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/02/us/costly-plan-to-promote-alternative-fuels-jolts-arizona.html

This program was hilariously bad. My parents probably could've done a straight-across trade of the '97 Suburban which already had about 50k on it at the time for a brand new one.

It also got you the coveted Blue plate, which gets you HOV access by yourself. I still see these running around.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Just sat in the Model 3 at Aventura mall...

The hype is real. If they really pull off production of these things with 2xx miles of range for $35k, they’re going to sell a gently caress TON of cars.

How does it stack up against the Bolt? The main benefit is that it's sexily designed, right? That and the tesla charging network, I suppose

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trash Trick posted:

How does it stack up against the Bolt? The main benefit is that it's sexily designed, right? That and the tesla charging network, I suppose

I honestly haven’t been in a Bolt yet, just the two generations of Volts.

Some people will poo-poo the minimalist design, but its powerful, if nothing else. I didn’t get to drive it, obviously, but it doesn’t seem unnatural thus far.

Visibility is excellent, the seats (from what I could tell from a three-five minute stint) were very good, the thing feels solid as hell, with doors that have a really pleasing kerchunk. The door handles feel substantial, it just FEELS right, in most ways. The interior materials are nice, as well.

I eyeballed the trim lines and panel gaps, and there wasn’t anything glaringly wrong, though obviously this is the only one currently on display in the South Florida market, so it very might well be a ringer, or have been gone through prior to shipment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was driving behind a Bolt the other day and noticed that it still has incandescent turn signals. Maybe taillights too.

All-LED lighting seems like a super obvious feature to have on every electric car (both cause it's high-tech and because it saves a noticeable amount of power) and I have no idea why GM didn't do it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I was driving behind a Bolt the other day and noticed that it still has incandescent turn signals. Maybe taillights too.

All-LED lighting seems like a super obvious feature to have on every electric car (both cause it's high-tech and because it saves a noticeable amount of power) and I have no idea why GM didn't do it.

this led me to google which led to an interesting discussion about car headlights

quote:

Here are the FACTS:
1.)The headlights in the Bolt are 35W HID variants, so combined pulling about 70 watts. Whoever said they are 75W each is either a pilot who has 100W boom beam HIDs for landling lights on his Beechcraft, or has no clue what he's talking about.

2.) Replacing an integrated self-leveling HID headlight system with some EBay LED bulbs is not going to help your range, but rather cause nothing but electronic glitches. The Lumeninous Flux (light output) reported by LED resellers are massively incorrect. They take the peak output under the most ideal of conditions and multiply by the number of LEDs. This is a bogus method of advertising, there are many other factors that go into it. Also, these junk LEDs have cheap non-insulated drivers and boards that will cause interference with your electronics. Most importantly, the optics will be thrown WAY off and you'll notice that the sides of your car light up tremendously well, but the road ahead is pitch black.

3.) HID headlights produce WAY more light than even the best LED headlights. Why? Because, aiming 15 LEDs which naturally have no consistency to have a sharp cutoff line like HIDs is similar to Black Magic (very difficult). Also, quality LED headlights are incredibly expensive, hence why GM didn't use them to begin with. The reason they are expensive is due to the fact that many LED bulbs are thrown away from a batch due to inconsistent output and results.

It's commendable that you are trying to squeeze everything you can from this machine, but you should stop modifying things when they begin to negatively impact your safety and the safety of others. If you want to improve your range, remove the rear seats, that's a net gain of at least 60lbs. You will see results. Also, get some forged featherweight wheels from a company like HRE. You can probably save 3-5lbs per wheel which is 6-10lbs per axle. That is called unsprung weight and 20lbs of unsprung weight is the equivalent of removing 55-60lbs of weight from inside the car. You will see a significant gain if you do all 4 wheels and your car will accelerate and brake much much better.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I love an authoritatively-toned post like that which then has a term like “lumeninous flux” in it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
In the Gen2 Volt, every light in the interior are bright daylight white LEDs... EXCEPT for the single inside rear hatch light. It is a tiny, very, very yellow and dim incandescent. And when you have the hatch open, it is so far up in the air, the light barely reaches the rear trunk area at all.

The very first thing I did in the first week of owning the car was replace that with a LED. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCGFNB0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . So if your Volt needs a better trunk light, I can recommend that one. I easily puts out 10 times the amount of light.

I really don't understand it... Festoon the entire car with LED lighting, and then skip out on the one light that DOES need to be super bright because of its location.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

Also, quality LED headlights are incredibly expensive, hence why GM didn't use them to begin with. The reason they are expensive is due to the fact that many LED bulbs are thrown away from a batch due to inconsistent output and results.

I get his point about not retrofitting LEDs but it's kind of bullshit that GM cheaped out on them, they are common on luxury brands and let's not forget the Bolt starts at $38k. I think that is the biggest problem with the Bolt, everything about it screams cheap, it looks like a $12k Chevy shitbox and things like skimping on LED headlights just contributes to that perception.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've said it before, but the draw of the Bolt is the relatively nice technology package. The interior is pretty boring.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can they make LED lights without them flickering? I hate that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They could, yes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why don't they?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Charles posted:

Why don't they?

That's their nature.

LEDs are happiest when they're being driven at their design voltage and current, and though you can theoretically dim an LED by turning the current down, that's a relatively complex and expensive piece of electronics to do so, and furthermore for a variety of reasons it's less than ideal (consistency and color, primarily).

However, LEDs are really good at turning on and off really quickly, and creating a square wave is super cheap and easy, so that's how LEDs are dimmed. If you drive an LED at full current and voltage but using a square wave that spends 50% of the time on and 50% off, it will look half as bright (roughly, your eyes aren't linear). Easy.

Obviously for this to be effective, the drive frequency needs to be fast enough that you can't see it happening. 50Hz or so is fine for a stationary lamp. Something that's moving needs to be driven at more like a few hundred hz to not have the lamps break up into dots. Once you get into the kHz range, no one can tell that it's not continuous.

So that's why the manufacturers keep using LEDs that have an inherent flicker to them. Why they don't use high-frequency components that would make the flicker unnoticeable, I have no idea. Probably because they're cheap.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I would think mostly because shielding is expensive. The higher the base frequency of a square wave, the stronger the radio-band harmonics are. And the more shielding you need to put in to pass whatever regulation governs radio noise from cars in the US (or maybe per state? I have no idea, your country is complicated).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

That is pretty much correct regarding headlights, but what applies to headlights doesn't really apply the same to almost every other light on the car.

Headlights need to shoot a lot of light in a carefully controlled beam. HID bulbs in projector assemblies are really good at this. Even properly designed OEM LED headlights or aftermarket retrofit LED projectors don't match the light output of comparable HID assemblies. Even the one vendor selling retrofit LED projectors recommends using their HID projectors instead unless you specifically want LED light. Drop-in "plug-and-play" HID or LED bulbs intended to go where some other kind of light source originally lived are universally bad to use in headlights.

Indicator lights on the other hand don't have the same requirements. Basically all you need from them is to cast enough light in roughly all directions so the reflector can spread it further. Optical engineering isn't really critical., so drop-in replacement bulbs work great.

There are good reasons to not use LED headlights for now (though this is likely to change as LED tech continues to advance), but there are no good reasons to not use LED indicator lights. They can pack more brightness in to less area and come up to brightness faster, while effectively lasting the life of the car if properly designed.

No new or redesigned cars should still be using halogen bulbs in their turn signals. Those that do are cheaping out, end of story.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
You better tell Audi and all the other companies that are using matrix LEDs that they’re morons then.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm not super sensitive to flickering light, but a little bit. I don't notice it at all in our lightbulbs at home, we've replaced all incandescents or halogen with LED. Just tried filming in slow motion (96 fps I think it is) as well, where it usually sticks out a lot, and it seems constant. We've specifically purchased non-dimmable, perhaps that makes a difference. You'd think it would be better to switch off individual LEDs in an array rather than dim all of them anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I'm sensitive to flicker (really hated most CFLs) but my Phillips Hue are amazing at any light level. But I also assume that's why they are like $40 a bulb.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

There are good reasons to not use LED headlights for now (though this is likely to change as LED tech continues to advance)

GM offers LED headlights on Cadillacs, Consumer Reports even called them the best headlights on the market so they apparently think they are good enough for their highest paying customers.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

By the way, LEDs were discussed in Norwegian media a few weeks ago. https://www.nrk.no/telemark/led-lys-dekkes-til-av-is-og-sno-1.13830466 Because they don't give off any waste heat, they pack up with snow pretty quickly, particularly on slab fronted trucks.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ola posted:

By the way, LEDs were discussed in Norwegian media a few weeks ago. https://www.nrk.no/telemark/led-lys-dekkes-til-av-is-og-sno-1.13830466 Because they don't give off any waste heat, they pack up with snow pretty quickly, particularly on slab fronted trucks.

That’s also a problem in cold places with LED traffic signals and LED street lamps.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

GM offers LED headlights on Cadillacs, Consumer Reports even called them the best headlights on the market so they apparently think they are good enough for their highest paying customers.

Many makers have been using LED headlights for some time. I know Toyota uses them on some Corolla and Accord models, but usually for lowbeam only.

The Gen2 Volts have LED headlights as standard for low beam.. For highbeams it kicks on an additional set of halogens. And I can confirm that on lowbeam they will not melt any ice or snow off. I've had to brush/scrape the ice off a few times over the lowbeam portion. The highbeam side will melt anything off.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Three Olives posted:

It's becoming very clear that you are a brand conscious shopper.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

It's becoming very clear that you are a brand conscious shopper.

Yes, but have you seen his condo?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Automotive lighting is area that needs a ton of innovation and potential regulation reform.

It's silly that your car may have the capability to read road markings to keep you in your lane and have radar to auto set cruise control, but your lighting has two settings that need to be manually toggled with a lower setting that's hobbled to actually limit light throw.

I know BMW has an adaptive lighting system, but that poo poo needs to be on more cars as standard safety equipment. Visibility is key to avoiding crashes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

drgitlin posted:

You better tell Audi and all the other companies that are using matrix LEDs that they’re morons then.

I didn't say there are no reasons to use them nor that they're all bad, I said there are good reasons not to. It's harder to make a good LED headlight because you generally have to have multiple actual sources of light versus one single piece of filament or arc. The ones in the Corolla for example are pretty terrible. The headlight retrofit community jumped all over them when they first showed up because they were cheap and available, but has largely abandoned them because they just don't perform well. CR also calls out the 2018 Audi Q5's low beams as being particularly bad, and I recall hearing some major publication knocking the F-150's as well.

What I'm saying is that apples to apples, LED headlights aren't as mature as HID just yet. They will almost certainly be at some point soon and there are already plenty of things that if an automaker wants to do them LEDs are the correct answer, but when we're talking about plain old high/low beam headlights they don't really offer any significant benefits over the less expensive established technology.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I imagine they consume less power which translates to an ever so slightly increases in mileage.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lower power, lower weight, smaller, longer life.

Someone was making the point that the LED headlights don't warm up enough to melt snow, well unless you need to melt snow that is just waste heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bull3964 posted:

It's silly that your car may have the capability to read road markings to keep you in your lane and have radar to auto set cruise control, but your lighting has two settings that need to be manually toggled with a lower setting that's hobbled to actually limit light throw.

My car automatically controls high beams, if told to.

• Locked thread